Bryant Gumbel bashes Winter Olympics

night-timer

Apr 26, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Bryant Gumbel, whom I remember as a NYC morning newscaster, now seems to be in sports-casting. Here's his take on the Winter Games, which he dismisses for its "pseudo athletes" and its "paucity (lack) of blacks that makes the Winter Games look like a GOP convention".

He then tells us "not to laugh when someone says these are the world's greatest athletes".

Her'es the video-clip link: http://us.video.aol.com/video.index.adp?pmmsid=1470235

WARNING: There's a chocolate bar ad (18 seconds) that you have to endure before the Bryant clip. Take it away, Bryant!

espo*

What does a lack of black athletes have to with his argument i wonder? is there something wrong with a variety of sports that don't involve many of them? Is there something wrong with the sprinters events because there are so few white athletes?

Racist argument.This kind of talk is plain unnacceptable if society is ever going to make REAL headway in race relations.

It's time to take members of ALL communities to task when they make these kind of statements.

Sadly.............he won't be.

But another guy would surely lose his job.I don't have to tell you WHICH guy.

Society has it's head in it's *** on this stuff.

Transported Upstater

Let me get this straight:

Due to the fact that there is a comparatively small amount of minorities in the Winter Olympics, that make the Winter Games composed of "pseudo-sports" with "pseudo-athletes?"

Bryant Gumbel can go **** himself.

espo*

TransportedUpstater said:
Let me get this straight:

Due to the fact that there is a comparatively small amount of minorities in the Winter Olympics, that make the Winter Games composed of "pseudo-sports" with "pseudo-athletes?"

Bryant Gumbel can go **** himself.
Yep,that's what the guy is saying.

And nothing will be made of it either.Unbelievable.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Habbadasher said:
But this happened in Feb.

Why bring it up now?

I thought he said it in February?

As far as sport being divided among color lines, the majority of people who live in cold weather countries are white. Black people tend to have a greater presence in the summer games....

night-timer

Apr 26, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Habbadasher said:
But this happened in Feb.

Why bring it up now?

Yes, he said it in February. It has been getting discussed on other sports forums, including figure skating.

Although I don't live in the US, Detroit is known as "Hockeytown USA" and has an 80 percent black population. Such people can easily watch or play hockey and other skating discpilines, if they want to. (I dare say their performance in sprints and track & field would make them superb speed skaters. Someone tell Bryant!)

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Has this guy ever been an athlete ? These competitors train just as hard & are as fit as any of the summer athletes.

What this ignorant moron said is an insult to all of them.And as for trying to play the racial card I have two words for him .. GET STUFFED.

Stick to reading the autocue on the morning news.

ArtG

Feb 9, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I agree with all of the above. This guy is way out of his element. How is there any correlation between racism, the GOP and the winter olympics?

What a d-bag!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Bryant Gumbel bashes anything that doesn't have a strong black influence. It's not the first time and it won't be the last time Bryant Gumbel takes liberties in talking about race in sports and how anything where there aren't many black athletes doesn't qualify as a sport.

night-timer said:
I don't live in the US - what is the "GOP"?

Republicans (but this isn't a political discussion)

Kardi

Jul 28, 2004
Interwebs
night-timer said:
Bryant Gumbel, whom I remember as a NYC morning newscaster, now seems to be in sports-casting. Here's his take on the Winter Games, which he dismisses for its "pseudo athletes" and its "paucity (lack) of blacks that makes the Winter Games look like a GOP convention".

He then tells us "not to laugh when someone says these are the world's greatest athletes".

Her'es the video-clip link: http://us.video.aol.com/video.index.adp?pmmsid=1470235

WARNING: There's a chocolate bar ad (18 seconds) that you have to endure before the Bryant clip. Take it away, Bryant!
funny how when he said this nothing happened to him, but if a white person would say something about to many black ppl or whatever in another sport they would get fired.. gotta love the double standards

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
night-timer said:

Bryant Gumbel is a peice of crap.
I still remember when he was busy calling Joe Frazier an 'uncle Tom' because the white community accepted him more than Muhammad Ali.
Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black? Or is it white?

NJDevs430

Jun 9, 2002
Visit site
I - Bryant Gumbel is a moron
II - a>Shani Davis, US Speedskater from Chicago - black
b>Jamaican bobsledding team - black - I'm sure they'd care to have a little discussion with Mr Gumbel about them being psuedo-athletes
III - What is this doing in "The Rink"?
IV - See I

}:-(>

mymkovski

Aug 16, 2004
They may not be black....but there were a whole lot of Asians competing and winning in the skating events....

NJDevs430

Jun 9, 2002
Visit site
mymkovski said:
They may not be black....but there were a whole lot of Asians competing and winning in the skating events....
But that's not on Gumbel's agenda, so he's not going to mention it.
}:-(>

BraveSirRobin

Ducks offseason
Feb 5, 2006
Yucaipa, CA
Gumbel is an idiot. His show sucks, and it's no surprise to me he'd say something like this just to get viewers to watch his show. I admit that aside from hockey and curling I'm not a big fan of the Winter Games, but to call the competitors "pseudo athletes" is just sad. If these aren't really sports, then lets see him do the same workout that speed skaters or cross country skiiers go through.

Last edited:

Transported Upstater

mymkovski said:

They're not black, so they are pseudo-athletes. Not actual athletes.

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
mymkovski said:

Now you understand! It's never really minorities or people who are non-white. It's his chosen ethnicity that he only cares about. He just hides it by trying to include other non-whites and unfortunatly these other groups buy into it.

It's the same reason why no one in the US made a big deal about my fave golfer Vijay Singh. Since he isn't African American and hails from Figi he doesn't fit well into the propoganda machine.

RangersMoogle

Oct 25, 2005
Ohio
www.tehinter.net
Bryant Gumbel is a three star hole. That's right, three star.

But for real, that's a crock of ****. You gotta admit, every sport takes talent on a professional level, this is just flat out arrogance, and dare I say bigotry? on the behalf of Bryant Gumbel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->