Player Discussion: Bryan Little

Status
Not open for further replies.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
That's not true at all. Laine is winning them pretty often.
Laine has been a lot better in his board battles this season, although still not as effective as I'd like him to be. Probs should have mentioned that it's Ehlers slacking in this department.
On the top line, all of Connor, Scheifele and Wheeler are working the boards and cycling, while on the 2nd line it's mostly Little with Laine pitching in here and there. It's just not enough, need all 3 to be successful and establish extended offensive zone time.

That is the problem with this line, they can gain the zone, but they can't stay there. They need all 3 fully committed to playing the ugly cycling game in order to establish possession. Maurice is actually right in one thing he said, something about getting the puck and getting it back to the D at the points. The Jets have 6 D, all of whom are very effective in the offensive zone. Do the dirty work, get the puck, get it to the point, and THATS when they can start letting their skill show. That's when Ehlers can skate the puck around the zone, That's when Laine can sneak into holes in the slot, That's when Little can start playmaking from behind the net and in the corners, but NOT before then (if they want to be consistently successful).

Once this line starts being able to get extended zone time, they will be successful, until then, they'll get stuck losing the puck along the boards after dumping it in. Even the 3rd line is able to do this, they just don't have enough skill to actually make much of that zone time.

Reactions: Ducky10 and Nuusku

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Laine has been a lot better in his board battles this season, although still not as effective as I'd like him to be. Probs should have mentioned that it's Ehlers slacking in this department.
On the top line, all of Connor, Scheifele and Wheeler are working the boards and cycling, while on the 2nd line it's mostly Little with Laine pitching in here and there. It's just not enough, need all 3 to be successful and establish extended offensive zone time.

That is the problem with this line, they can gain the zone, but they can't stay there. They need all 3 fully committed to playing the ugly cycling game in order to establish possession. Maurice is actually right in one thing he said, something about getting the puck and getting it back to the D at the points. The Jets have 6 D, all of whom are very effective in the offensive zone. Do the dirty work, get the puck, get it to the point, and THATS when they can start letting their skill show. That's when Ehlers can skate the puck around the zone, That's when Laine can sneak into holes in the slot, That's when Little can start playmaking from behind the net and in the corners, but NOT before then (if they want to be consistently successful).

Once this line starts being able to get extended zone time, they will be successful, until then, they'll get stuck losing the puck along the boards after dumping it in. Even the 3rd line is able to do this, they just don't have enough skill to actually make much of that zone time.

If Little is battling against one defender he loses that battle 9/10. Laine wins it like 5/10. Copp is way better in board battles than Little. That's why i like to give him a shot at 2nd line. If he is able to win board battles & pass puck to the open man at times , then it's already win-win situation. Ehlers & Laine can create the chances, while Copp is doing the dirty work.

That won't never work with this line-up. It's impossible to play cycling game, because Laine & Little doesn't have enough chemistry to make even easiest passes for each other. Ehlers doesn't have enough power for board battles . It's almost impossible to find succesful linemate for Laine & Little duo, because they don't supplement each other at all. Perreault could make some kind of difference, but there is still lack of chemistry between Laine & Little and also lack of pace with lineup. Best option would be to drop Wheeler out of 1st line. We have seen before, that Scheifele has enough power to win board battles himself. Ehlers & Laine did way better with him.

Connor - Scheifele - Laine
Ehlers - Little - Wheeler

Both lineups would have enough power for boardbattles and also skills for playmaking.

Last edited:
Reactions: kelsier

SirKlaus

Nov 8, 2017
I admit I hadn't seen Little play before last season - where I think he looked great. Looking at his stats that look consistent, I'm certain he'll pick it up - what ever the line combos. I think it is just a funk, not injury - fingers crossed - as he seems to have missed fare share of games in his career.

Went to search youtube some earlier career highlights of his and first video I saw was about his crib - maybe not a mansion but that's fkin beautiful design.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
If Little is battling against one defender he loses that battle 9/10. Laine wins it like 5/10. Copp is way better in board battles than Little. That's why i like to give him a shot at 2nd line. If he is able to win board battles & pass puck to the open man at times , then it's already win-win situation. Ehlers & Laine can create the chances, while Copp is doing the dirty work.

That won't never work with this line-up. It's impossible to play cycling game, because Laine & Little doesn't have enough chemistry to make even easiest passes for each other. Ehlers doesn't have enough power for board battles . It's almost impossible to find succesful linemate for Laine & Little duo, because they don't supplement each other at all. Perreault could make some kind of difference, but there is still lack of chemistry between Laine & Little and also lack of pace with lineup. Best option would be to drop Wheeler out of 1st line. We have seen before, that Scheifele has enough power to win board battles himself. Ehlers & Laine did way better with him.

Connor - Scheifele - Laine
Ehlers - Little - Wheeler

Both lineups would have enough power for boardbattles and also skills for playmaking.

This is from their first stint together. They have the chemistry, they just need to get it back. Not to mention these are just Laine goal videos (with some Little goals). There's a lot more with Ehlers involved but I've made a post in the Laine thread that you can look at for more on the line as a whole.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
The notion that Little is constantly trying to win board battles because his wingers can't/won't is just silly. Bryan needs to understand who he's on the ice with, dumping pucks into corners 80% of the time, while he's on the ice with Laine and Ehlers is boneheaded. Understandable that sometimes a dump and chance type game is needed to get the puck behind a D core with a tight gap. problem here is that Little dumps a puck when he shouldn't, when there's a loose gap, and teams are expecting him to dump, and cheat to a corner to get an extra second to move the puck. Little needs to be aware of his surroundings by reading off his skilled linemates.

Move the puck, go hard to the net, when all else fails, battle for the puck, move it, move yourself, repeat.

Little is looking like Thorburn, no joke.

Reactions: Ippenator

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
The notion that Little is constantly trying to win board battles because his wingers can't/won't is just silly. Bryan needs to understand who he's on the ice with, dumping pucks into corners 80% of the time, while he's on the ice with Laine and Ehlers is boneheaded. Understandable that sometimes a dump and chance type game is needed to get the puck behind a D core with a tight gap. problem here is that Little dumps a puck when he shouldn't, when there's a loose gap, and teams are expecting him to dump, and cheat to a corner to get an extra second to move the puck. Little needs to be aware of his surroundings by reading off his skilled linemates.

Move the puck, go hard to the net, when all else fails, battle for the puck, move it, move yourself, repeat.

Little is looking like Thorburn, no joke.

No Little is looking like Little. It has been stated many times how he plays, and that is the way Little has played for years. Ladd was always a chip and chase guy, as was Frolik. The 3 of them rarely scored on rushes, they got the puck in, Ladd and Fro did a lot of the grinding it out and they produced off cycles. wheeler can obviously play any style. With that said, Little clearly has skill, you don't score 20 goals in 50 something games by luck. I think you are right in that he needs to change that style of play to who he is playing with. Be aware that Laine and Ehlers don't play the dump and grind the corner/ cycle game, they play a rushing game. Get the puck to them and find open ice.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
No Little is looking like Little. It has been stated many times how he plays, and that is the way Little has played for years. Ladd was always a chip and chase guy, as was Frolik. The 3 of them rarely scored on rushes, they got the puck in, Ladd and Fro did a lot of the grinding it out and they produced off cycles. wheeler can obviously play any style. With that said, Little clearly has skill, you don't score 20 goals in 50 something games by luck. I think you are right in that he needs to change that style of play to who he is playing with. Be aware that Laine and Ehlers don't play the dump and grind the corner/ cycle game, they play a rushing game. Get the puck to them and find open ice.

You're implying that Little has only ever played a chip and chase type game. Similar to Thorburn, I've always noticed that Little has been great at open ice reads, knowing when to keep and pull the puck to the outside and step around someone, when to move the puck east west, and when to dump and get to work. When he's strictly playing a dump and chase game like he has this year, it's a sign that he's been struggling in other areas. Those areas which are pretty glaring, he's really fighting the puck.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

This is from their first stint together. They have the chemistry, they just need to get it back. Not to mention these are just Laine goal videos (with some Little goals). There's a lot more with Ehlers involved but I've made a post in the Laine thread that you can look at for more on the line as a whole.

Notice how on every one of these goals, they enter the zone with control of the puck.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I admit I hadn't seen Little play before last season - where I think he looked great. Looking at his stats that look consistent, I'm certain he'll pick it up - what ever the line combos. I think it is just a funk, not injury - fingers crossed - as he seems to have missed fare share of games in his career.

Went to search youtube some earlier career highlights of his and first video I saw was about his crib - maybe not a mansion but that's fkin beautiful design.

Not too shabby....but how was Doug Brown afford a similar home from that builder.....must have done well after football ;)

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014

This is nonsense, Little has always been good at controlled zone entries and is more than capable of scoring off the rush. Just because you score off the cycle doesn't mean you're playing a chip and chase game, skilled forwards cycle very well, in fact it's a hallmark of highly skilled teams. The Sedins may have been the best players I've seen at cycling the puck and there is nothing chip and chase about their game.

Laine should be very effective off the cycle, he's a big body and can shield the puck extremely well, his quick release is perfect for scoring in tight spaces often created off the cycle. Right now his overall strength hurts him but there are still opportunities to do it.

The whole line would benefit from developing more off the cycle, they need to increase their zone time and up their shot totals. Everything isn't going to come off a dazzling transition rush.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Notice how on every one of these goals, they enter the zone with control of the puck.

Yup, the team as a whole is infinitely more successful when gaining the zone with control. Which is why its frustrating that the team as a whole seems more inclined to play chip and chase this year. I have no idea why this is being directed or encouraged by the coaching staff.... It should be discouraged and really used as a last resort.

Guys like Little and Wheeler have shown in the past that they are perfectly capable of gaining with control. It seems the default so far is to dump and chase. I hope this changes moving forward.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Copp? LOL! Dude has no hands can't pass or receive a pass and you want him playing with Ehlers and Laine! LOL!:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Copp would be better than you think with Ehlers and Laine. Big, fast, good forechecker, decent hands and vision and a nice shot. At this point, he seems to be able to drive play physically more than Little, and Laine and Ehlers need someone to get them the puck back from the opposition.

Reactions: Ippenator

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016

Yes they had some kind of chemistry at start of the last season, before defenders figured them out. That wasn't anything special, but at least they were able to complete the easiest passes. This season, absolutely nothing based on 20 games.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

Trouble maintaining eye contact, shakes head from side to side. His body language says, he's lying! :laugh:

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Very happy to see Little get a goal last night. He looked just as fast as ever to me on the breakaway, so I am assuming he is in good health. All good players have scoring slumps, including Crosby, so there was never a legitimate reason to lose faith in Little over such a short stretch.
Agree some line-shuffling might be in order, but for different reasons than have been cited. Perreault needs a landing spot and Armia needs more offensive opportunity. Both players have more mature games than 'the kids' and would look great flanking Bryan.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

This is EXACTLY why Little and Wheeler should be together. They (and Ladd) play the exact same type of game. Dump and Chase and Cycle. Laine and Ehlers actually ran into each other trying the cycle game last night. It's not their game and it's not the game of the future with these types of creative players.

Dump and Chase and Cycle is old school and it's what Wheeler and Little have done their entire careers.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
This is EXACTLY why Little and Wheeler should be together. They (and Ladd) play the exact same type of game. Dump and Chase and Cycle. Laine and Ehlers actually ran into each other trying the cycle game last night. It's not their game and it's not the game of the future with these types of creative players.

Dump and Chase and Cycle is old school and it's what Wheeler and Little have done their entire careers.

Disagree Howard, their is nothing old school about cycling the puck and it's not exclusively related to a dump and chase game. Having said that I'd like to see Ehlers and Laine working more forced switches, Ehlers in particular should excel at this with his speed and quickness and he has in the past. Personally I think it's what the CSW line does the best. Perreault is also very good at it, I'm looking forward to him coming back and how his presence will effect usage once he gets back up to speed.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Cycling the puck is old school? That's news to me. The cycle is a great way to stop playing in your own zone and generating scoring chances. If there is one thing that Ehlers and Laine can learn from guys like Lowry/Armia/Matthias is how those guys cycle the puck down low. If Ehlers/Laine can convert just a small % of their one and done plays in the offensive zone into a cycle they would be much more dangerous. Too often they get into the zone there is a battle along the board and the puck goes right out.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Why comment this after one of his good games? I'll be sure to quote this once he inevitably starts producing, with or without Laine and Ehlers.
Please do. I'll be extremely happy if he starts to produce. I don't hate him, i just hate that some people can't see how bad he has been this season.

It could just be that Ehlers and Laine don't fit his style. Dunno.

Reactions: Psych0dad

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Not too shabby....but how was Doug Brown afford a similar home from that builder.....must have done well after football ;)

Because he was a dominant superstar canadian defensive tackle who was the highest paid bomber and probably highest paid DT in the league for years? Guy was making well over 6 figures for 6 months of work for many many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->