Player Discussion: Bryan Little

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Oh, the hypocrisy.

People spent the better part of the season arguing how Little cratered Laine's production due to their bad chemistry, but when someone suggests that Little suffered too, then it is a non-factor and Laine's goalscoring should have helped him. Well, it didn't, which leads me to believe that Laine was a negative factor in Little's production this year.

The point is, you can't have it both ways. If you think that Laine was sandbagged by the poor chemistry between him and Little, then you cannot claim that Little's production was bad; heck, he spent half a year with Laine.

I'm not worried. If Little repeats this next season, then I'll make a case for it. Based on this year? No.

It’s interesting that the Stastny line has cooled off lately yet so many people seem to think those three have some great chemistry together. Well I really don’t see it as a “chemistry thing” at all. I see it as Ehlers and Laine with any center play well if those two youngsters are playing well individually. For example if Ehlers is skating through the neutral zone and NOT turning the puck over they are more successful. Or if Laine can create space himself without much help it’s the same way. These two are talented enough to where if they are playing well, chemistry is irrelevant.

Reactions: csk

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
It’s interesting that the Stastny line has cooled off lately yet so many people seem to think those three have some great chemistry together. Well I really don’t see it as a “chemistry thing” at all. I see it as Ehlers and Laine with any center play well if those two youngsters are playing well individually. For example if Ehlers is skating through the neutral zone and NOT turning the puck over they are more successful. Or if Laine can create space himself without much help it’s the same way. These two are talented enough to where if they are playing well, chemistry is irrelevant.

I agree. Laine and Ehlers were producing very well with Copp as well, it seems as they get a kick out of a "change of scenery" with a new center. When both were beasting Ehlers was able to hold onto the puck and Laine was creating space all over for himself, just like you said. It feels like that energy wears off after a while, but it's understandable, no-one could sustain that pace for a season. Still, seems like a good way to get them going when needed in the playoffs :)

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
That is not exactly what I said, but whatever floats your boat.

Most of my takes have been critical of arguments rather than players. For instance, I never once claimed that the lack of chemistry was solely Laine's fault. Instead, I pointed out the flaw in the thought process of those who tried to absolve Laine of all responsibility and critique (and there were many). If that was misunderstood, that's not my fault.

Also, define "bad year". Is 43 points bad, when you take into account that he was on a dysfunctional line half the time? I don't think so.

You said pretty much exactly that you blame Laine and Laine alone. Want me to dig it up? When you throw a youngster under the bus who later on happens to frigging shoot himself in the Rocket race (or otherwise have an outstanding season), you'd better be mentally ready to receive some critique, starting from ability to read the game itself to be able to comment on player performance(s) or their abilities.

I don't think anyone said ELL was all on Little or if it was all on Ehlers either, but most agreed that it just didn't work and couldn't grasp why it was being forced nonetheless. There was no "thought process" you had to correct however and I can't but wonder where you come up with all this stuff. Nevermind trying to remember how many times you were asked and by how many people that should a line be run by a 19 year old (or 23) winger, or 29 center but you kept looking for excuses and gunning for Laine for all the misgivings. After the break up of ELL, both Laine and Ehlers elevated their games onto whole another level. So now that all is said and done, would you like to hold on to your end of the story where Laine was the sandbag (as you quite literally more than implied throughout the first half of the season)?

As for Little and the 43 points. He played with team's top goal scorer and team's third best goal scorer for half the season and couldn't keep up. He had an excellent opportunity to get himself on the groove and score much much more than that, but didn't. The only line that actually ever really clicked with him was Ehlers and Perreault, but the sample size for them never really got too large to judge precisely. Other than that he was nowhere near the level of a quality second line NHL center this regular season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Oh, the hypocrisy.

People spent the better part of the season arguing how Little cratered Laine's production due to their bad chemistry, but when someone suggests that Little suffered too, then it is a non-factor and Laine's goalscoring should have helped him. Well, it didn't, which leads me to believe that Laine was a negative factor in Little's production this year.

The point is, you can't have it both ways. If you think that Laine was sandbagged by the poor chemistry between him and Little, then you cannot claim that Little's production was bad; heck, he spent half a year with Laine.
I don't know if Little's production is bad, but, his 43 points is much lower than the players he was playing with half the year. Little 43 points, Ehlers 60 points laine 70 points. Little is just 1 mil cheaper than Ehlers with a difference in 17 points.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I think the talks about Little's demise are a bit premature, he didn't look to me like he suddenly got old and is about to fall off a cliff. His season was disappointing though and I'm hard pressed to find many arguments why it wasn't. I think he played tough match ups all season and was very defensively focused, but that's not much good if you can't score on the other end. Being basically +/- 0 2nd line center is not good in a team like Jets. 5v5 GF/GA with different linemates would be more interesting, but since I'm too lazy to try to find it anywhere right now I'll just use the blasphemous +/- ...

Little +2 (only fwd behind him are Petan, Matthias, Hendricks, Dano...), Laine +8 and team top-3 for FWD Ehlers +14, Copp +17, Scheif +19. That doesn't look too good. OK with +/- in practice I think over a season the difference between +2 and +8 is next to nothing, but still, Little slots in dead last for any FWD who saw regular icetime. I just don't see anything in the stats that indicates he performed well for a 2nd line center. His points are decent if compared to many 2nd line C in other teams I believe, but in the context of the Jets not very good. It's also not as horrible as some people make it seem, I mean he is 6th for both total points and even strength points, so not a catastrophy but IMO offensively disappointing none the less and actually watching him play reinforces that. I haven't actually checked the stats, but I'd be a bit surprised if the production of any winger actually went up when playing in a Little line.

To me, his season was lukewarm at best on the balance. Good defensively but mediocre offensively. I'd like to see a bit more from 2nd line C in a team with the winger depth the Jets have.

Reactions: Ippenator

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
So after all... Should i take Perrault or Little to my playoff team?

Go to the Dark Side - take Little:

young_anakin_skywalker.jpg

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Just giving this a Little bump, because he has taken so much abuse, yet has just continued to work his way back from injuries and having to carry the defensive burden last year with gifted, but undeveloped young stars. This is his twelfth year in the NHL and if he stays healthy could be among his best offensively. So much for his imminent demise and horrible contract.

And how about that bad chemistry between Little and Laine, eh? Sometimes a chemical reaction just needs a catalyst...Connor has made that line explosive.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Just giving this a Little bump, because he has taken so much abuse, yet has just continued to work his way back from injuries and having to carry the defensive burden last year with gifted, but undeveloped young stars. This is his twelfth year in the NHL and if he stays healthy could be among his best offensively. So much for his imminent demise and horrible contract.

And how about that bad chemistry between Little and Laine, eh? Sometimes a chemical reaction just needs a catalyst...Connor has made that line explosive.
Looks like they found that playmaking C for Laine.

Little was fantastic tonight.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I've been a big critic of Little at times, but the way CLL is clicking he fits right in. His game looks Stastnyesque at times - and don't get me wrong, I don't think Stastny is a different tier of center to Little - I think Stastny got a bit overrated for happening to enter the team just as Laine was beginning a crazy hot streak.

What I mean by Stastnyesque is that currently he's doing so many small things right offensively as well, stuff that easily goes unnoticed. Stastny did those things all the time, little crafty plays that buy that little bit of extra time for the other two guys to do their thing.

Gotta say I'm really really happy for Little and I hope him and this line keeps this up. It's a bit weird to say this, because as far as players go, I'm a Laine 'fan' first and foremost, and have given Little a lot of criticism at times, but at the moment I'm probably more happier for Little than Laine :o

It's just so good to see him rack up points and for once be part of a line that really works offensively.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

Exactly. Line chemistry consist of chemistry between 3 players. ELL almost never found that, PLL found that only periodically but CLL really clicks. It's obvious that it's fueled by the fact that Farmer & Patty are an awesome fit together, but Little is also supporting it, and if games like that continue, I will dig up my 2 year old "Little is the most underrated 2nd line center in NHL" posts from my posting history here and they will work as they were written today.

Really happy how things have turned out with Little this young season. Out of longish and expensiveish contracts for veterans that one for Little is currently not looking nearly as worrifying in the long run than that of the captain.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Really happy how things have turned out with Little this young season. Out of longish and expensiveish contracts for veterans that one for Little is currently not looking nearly as worrifying in the long run than that of the captain.

Well I think some people always overreacted to the Little contract, though after a crappy SEASON it's understandable to worry. I also can see how down the line that Wheeler contract might not be that great, I mean he is at that age he can start to decline anytime, and for some guys it can be rapid. But he could also be fine right to the end of it. I would worry about that after 20 games.

I do think he needs to be playing 2-4 minutes less a game on average. Both him and the team would be better off for it in the long run. This 22 minutes a night for Wheeler is BS on a team like the Jets.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
So after all... Should i take Perrault or Little to my playoff team?

Judging from last playoffs only, there is no question about it: Little was one of the best Jets as 3C.

(Stastny and Fefe were even better, but they were the 2 best Jets forwards so really hard to beat)

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Thought we could show some love for Little since most of the time he takes beating's on here . Great play and pass from Little last night for the winning goal and he's got a nice points streak going as well . Love how Little plays the game , just saying . :thumbu:

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Thought we could show some love for Little since most of the time he takes beating's on here . Great play and pass from Little last night for the winning goal and he's got a nice points streak going as well . Love how Little plays the game , just saying . :thumbu:

For those who come by in two months to criticize Little for Laine's play:

(I kid! Little had two wide-open-net pucks knocked off his stick by amazing desperation defensive plays in that same game, both set up by beautiful Laine plays. C'est la vie!)

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

(I kid! Little had two wide-open-net pucks knocked off his stick by amazing desperation defensive plays in that same game, both set up by beautiful Laine plays. C'est la vie!)
What a pass basically through 3 guys right onto Connor's stick , Little is a damn good all around hockey player . :nod: Thanks for posting this even if you are Evil . :naughty:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

I'd argue that one of those plays was more set up by Roslovic who made the cross ice pass to little than Laine.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I'd argue that one of those plays was more set up by Roslovic who made the cross ice pass to little than Laine.

I'd agree with that, but both were the result of all three working as a tight, cohesive unit with skill radiating from the lot of them.

Just unlucky on the finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad