Player Discussion: Bryan Little

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
In the 2015 playoffs, Tyler Johnson played with a broken wrist and was completely unable to take faceoffs. Could be a possibility.

Then again, if you're judging which injury it is based on the ability to take faceoffs, there is a long list of options.

Oh yeah. Wrist, elbow, shoulders, hips. Maybe dominant leg. Could be anything.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
This is a Bryan Little thread. Discuss Buff, salaries and whatever you like in threads that are more appropriate.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I am surprised this conversation was not moved as it has absolutely nothing to do with little. What does have to do with Little is that it would hard to argue that better team D has made Helly look good as there have been so many games where he has looked completely abandoned out there and that I wanted to put a claim in with CFS on his behalf.

You're right. We did stray OT.

I'm not sure about Little's defensive play. Some say he remained pretty solid while his scoring faded. I'm not astute enough an observer to say one way or the other.

But it has been noted many times that the Jets are suppressing the high danger shots against. If Little hasn't been a part of that I think it would have stood out pretty clearly. Or maybe it has and I have missed it.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
You're right. We did stray OT.

I'm not sure about Little's defensive play. Some say he remained pretty solid while his scoring faded. I'm not astute enough an observer to say one way or the other.

But it has been noted many times that the Jets are suppressing the high danger shots against. If Little hasn't been a part of that I think it would have stood out pretty clearly. Or maybe it has and I have missed it.
I still think the 27-18-29 line had a lot to do with Little being the anchor defensively for 27-29. He was there to stabilize those 2, rightly or wrongly and he did a good job most nights.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I still think the 27-18-29 line had a lot to do with Little being the anchor defensively for 27-29. He was there to stabilize those 2, rightly or wrongly and he did a good job most nights.

Little was the D anchor on that line -
I noticed him behind his own net tying up the forwards and fighting for possession on most nights - and he didn't get a lot of help along the walls on the exit.
The line didn't work for a number of reasons and Little was likely not the right guy for the other 2 (or they were not the right wingers for his play) - regardless, he was sound defensively.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ducky10

Say What

Building a Legacy 4/28/96 Never again!!
Jan 18, 2015
Except in the case where it means you can't afford to have NHL caliber defenceman or better wingers.

Thankfully that's not a position TNSE finds itself in. In my opinion, it's an Organization very well situated for future movement, future promotion/advancement of assets.

The Winnipeg Jets have a plethora of both of your listed concerns (NHL quality D-men & elite Wingers); as it pertains to retaining Bryan. The 'new' Bryan Little contract doesn't affect any current roster player, any more than Mark Scheifele's contract does. They were both agreed upon/signed with any future ramifications well considered. To think otherwise, is a choice that some will conceivably cling to.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Thankfully that's not a position TNSE finds itself in. In my opinion, it's an Organization very well situated for future movement, future promotion/advancement of assets.

The Winnipeg Jets have a plethora of both of your listed concerns (NHL quality D-men & elite Wingers); as it pertains to retaining Bryan. The 'new' Bryan Little contract doesn't affect any current roster player, any more than Mark Scheifele's contract does. They were both agreed upon/signed with any future ramifications well considered. To think otherwise, is a choice that some will conceivably cling to.
The new Bryan Little contract does affect current roster players starting this off season. Jets need to boot a better player this off season.

I guess you havent watched Jets cap situation.

Reactions: hudster

Say What

Building a Legacy 4/28/96 Never again!!
Jan 18, 2015
The new Bryan Little contract does affect current roster players starting this off season. Jets need to boot a better player this off season.

Pure fiction. Try to sign a UFA top six Centerman for less than $5.2 Million. You're implying that TNSE didn't know the pending RFA's and soon to be UFA's when Bryan's deal was signed. To each their own.

Reactions: Dayofthedogs

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Yeah, the notion that somehow Chevy knew all along that Statsny would waive his NMC AND that he'd somehow opt to sign in Winnipeg once he reached UFA over any other team is not much more than wishful thinking. Especially considering the Blues were all of about 1 point out of a playoff spot at the deadline. I'm sure there are pundits that foresaw the Blues selling off a player at the deadline but I don't think there were too many. I wish Statsny would sign in Winnipeg after this season is over for a sweetheart deal but I'm sure not counting on it. I certainly didn't think he would be our trade deadline acquisition either. Little and Statsny are independent events entirely.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Not true. If Jets buy him out, he counts as 1,67 million for the next 12 years.

I would take 1,67 aav hit for 12 year rather than Little with 5,3 aav for 6 years.

Thats not even close.

I don't think you understand how buyouts work. Maybe you should educate yourself. The Jets are not going to buy out Bryan Little this summer. Get real.

IMG_0707.jpg

one other person

Tripping thru time and space
Feb 19, 2018
Sunny St. Somewhere
Can’t help but think that talk of writing this guy off, him having fallen off the proverbial cliff or wanting to buy him out is really premature.

I remember him as being a bit streaky at times. Assuming he’s reasonably healthy, maybe he gets hot soon. Hot in the playoffs would be nice...

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Sometimes it feels like the twilight zone in here...maybe we should euthanize Little, because he clearly is on death's door.
Listen carefully....the team, coach and management love him and for good reason. Despite not having his best offensive season, he has been the only half-way healthy and dependable center for much of the season. He continues to play well (if not to his max potential) despite clear evidence of an upper body injury, which is limiting him from taking faceoffs. His current AAV is cheap and his upcoming AAV is right in line. You want expensive comparators--check out Stastny.
I really do hope he scores a few more points to end the year at his usual PPG pace, not because it will change my opinion, but just so all this buyout/trade/demote/eliminate Little nonsense goes away.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

I guess you are a bit biased when it comes to Little and I hope the diatribe has stopped. The guy is going to be invaluable in the playoffs.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Little is way faster now and more engage compared to the middle part of the year.

Looks like he got his steps back. He looked really quick the last few games.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Little found his game again. Whatever injury he was nursing seems to be healing, especially since he’s moved back to C now.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Just remember, he was saddled with Laine for 40 games. It is only natural that his point totals are down due to the lack of chemistry between the two.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Of the present jets roster who two would be ideal mix with Little? Obviously Wheeler but who else?

Best lines for little:

85-18-27
85-18-26
27-18-26

Plus 85-18-29 did well, but Laine didn't do much so it's kindof a waste.

Also these haven't played together but I think would do well:
81-18-26
85-18-81
81-18-27

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Just remember, he was saddled with Laine for 40 games. It is only natural that his point totals are down due to the lack of chemistry between the two.

Yeah, saddle up with league's second best goal scorer, that's the best way to get your point totals south! :D

By the way, it's almost as if this was the first time I ever heard you mention anything about the bad chemistry in the former ELL line, while quite many others made notes about the phenomenon early on in the season.

Anyway, I don't know what happened to Little nor do I know how much better player he actually was in the past (prior to 16-17) but I certainly hope the heck he can gain some of that form back, cause that 5,3 x 5 contract will come back and bite hard if the Little we saw this year is the Little we see 2019 and onward (let alone when at full decline). That's one worrisome contract that should never had happened.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Yeah, saddle up with league's second best goal scorer, that's the best way to get your point totals south! :D

By the way, it's almost as if this was the first time I ever heard you mention anything about the bad chemistry in the former ELL line, while quite many others made notes about the phenomenon early on in the season.

Anyway, I don't know what happened to Little nor do I know how much better player he actually was in the past (prior to 16-17) but I certainly hope the heck he can gain some of that form back, cause that 5,3 x 5 contract will come back and bite hard if the Little we saw this year is the Little we see 2019 and onward (let alone when at full decline). That's one worrisome contract that should never had happened.
Oh, the hypocrisy.

People spent the better part of the season arguing how Little cratered Laine's production due to their bad chemistry, but when someone suggests that Little suffered too, then it is a non-factor and Laine's goalscoring should have helped him. Well, it didn't, which leads me to believe that Laine was a negative factor in Little's production this year.

The point is, you can't have it both ways. If you think that Laine was sandbagged by the poor chemistry between him and Little, then you cannot claim that Little's production was bad; heck, he spent half a year with Laine.

I'm not worried. If Little repeats this next season, then I'll make a case for it. Based on this year? No.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Oh, the hypocrisy.

People spent the better part of the season arguing how Little cratered Laine's production due to their bad chemistry, but when someone suggests that Little suffered too, then it is a non-factor and Laine's goalscoring should have helped him. Well, it didn't, which leads me to believe that Laine was a negative factor in Little's production this year.

The point is, you can't have it both ways. If you think that Laine was sandbagged by the poor chemistry between him and Little, then you cannot claim that Little's production was bad; heck, he spent half a year with Laine.

I'm not worried. If Little repeats this next season, then I'll make a case for it. Based on this year? No.

Talking about hypocrisy I remember when you said the problems in the line where solely on Laine, while Little on the other hand off played good hockey all along. Later on you even added that Laine had no adapting abilities whatsoever (cause otherwise he would be able to sync with his center). Funnily he seemed to have no issues whatsoever syncing with Copp and later on no issues with Stastny either. Now you preach about two-way streets. Doesn't that sound just a tad bit contradicting? :D

As far as chemistry goes, it certainly wasn't you who brought it up. In fact like I said I can't even remember you bringing it up, except of course now when it's convenient. Your not worried when a center who was just re-signed had a bad year (basically almost no matter who he played with)? Mm'kay.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Talking about hypocrisy I remember when you said the problems in the line where solely on Laine, while Little on the other hand off played good hockey all along. Later on you even added that Laine had no adapting abilities whatsoever (cause otherwise he would be able to sync with his center). Funnily he seemed to have no issues whatsoever syncing with Copp and later on no issues with Stastny either. Now you preach about two-way streets. Doesn't that sound just a tad bit contradicting? :D

As far as chemistry goes, it certainly wasn't you who brought it up. In fact like I said I can't even remember you bringing it up, except of course now when it's convenient. Your not worried when a center who was just re-signed had a bad year (basically almost no matter who he played with)? Mm'kay.
That is not exactly what I said, but whatever floats your boat.

Most of my takes have been critical of arguments rather than players. For instance, I never once claimed that the lack of chemistry was solely Laine's fault. Instead, I pointed out the flaw in the thought process of those who tried to absolve Laine of all responsibility and critique (and there were many). If that was misunderstood, that's not my fault.

Also, define "bad year". Is 43 points bad, when you take into account that he was on a dysfunctional line half the time? I don't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->