Player Discussion: Bryan Little

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Nice to see Little with some point production and another solid game.

If Little was the C covering Sharp on Sharp's goal instead of the shiny new object Stastny, people would be crucifying Little here. The objectivity for some reason has been completely lost when discussing Little.
In fact Little has been mostly criticized because of his poor offensive play this season. Not that much about his defensive play, as he has been defensively really one of the most solid Jets forwards this season.

I have been definitely criticizing him a lot for making all of his linemates have problems with their 5 on 5 production this season.

Nice to see though that there might be after all some chemistry that leads into production, with Wheeler and Connor. If they continue like against Chicago, it will for sure make the Jets a very difficult team to play against. Little’s line was definitely last night a better line than Stastny’s line, but Stastny’s line had after all a bit of an off game for their recent standards. Hopefully Stastny’s line can regain the quality of play that they have had mostly so far, and that Little’s line can keep up with how they played last night. But if/when this happens and Scheifele is healthy again, who the hell should Chef play with then? I would hate to see two well functioning lines be split, if that would already be the case of how well the present top two lines would be seen working consistently.

Last edited:

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Little looked far better last night playing WING! I'm not sure how many times I've said this, but it's about time... He's a winger.

He's fast with his straight line speed and Little was all over the puck last night. When he's able to just fly like that, hes really effective.

Connor Scheifele Wheeler
MP Roslovic Little
Ehlers Stastny Laine
Copp/Dano/Tanev Lowry Armia

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Little looked far better last night playing WING! I'm not sure how many times I've said this, but it's about time... He's a winger.

He's fast with his straight line speed and Little was all over the puck last night. When he's able to just fly like that, hes really effective.

Connor Scheifele Wheeler
MP Roslovic Little
Ehlers Stastny Laine
Copp/Dano/Tanev Lowry Armia
Even though he centred the top line for 5 years?

Reactions: Dayofthedogs

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
No way I put Roslo at 2C over Little yet. Nowhere near enough sample to trust him there yet, especially in the playoffs. Little has far more experience against top opponents in those situations.

Reactions: Dayofthedogs

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
I think when Scheifele comes back you still put Little back with Perreault and Roslovic. I think their lack of production recently was due to both little and Perreault being ill, as they were clicking earlier and always have when together.

Reactions: Ducky10

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Times, players and rosters change. What happened in the past does not necessarily work the same way at a later time.
Very philosophical...but not as much has changed with Little as you would like to portray. He is still a solid 2-way center, who has consistently contributed ~ 45-55 points, is trusted to play PP, PK, 3v3, shootouts, and against the best teams' top lines. The fact that he didn't mesh with Laine when he was struggling is insignificant, and tiresome to keep hearing as evidence for his supposed decline.
He's played wing for a time in Atlanta. Scored 30 goals that season.
He played wing in Atlanta, in part, because he was young, like Roslo, and not yet ready for top-6C responsibilities. And Kovalchuk likely had a big impact on Little's 30 goal season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ducky10

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I think when Scheifele comes back you still put Little back with Perreault and Roslovic. I think their lack of production recently was due to both little and Perreault being ill, as they were clicking earlier and always have when together.
I’m not sure of this though. Could be of course, but could be also that they just don’t click production-wise even then? If Little clearly works well with being productive with Wheeler and Connor, then I would probably like to see after all Scheifele play with Perreault and Roslovic, or maybe even Armia instead of Roslo. I think those both line options could work even surprisingly well. And if that would be the case there could seriously be three very good offensive lines with the capability to produce but also defend in a balanced way. I in fact like this the more that I think of it.

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
What sort of injury would prevent a player from taking face offs? Wrist? Shoulder?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
He played wing in Atlanta, in part, because he was young, like Roslo, and not yet ready for top-6C responsibilities. And Kovalchuk likely had a big impact on Little's 30 goal season.

IIRC he didn't play much with Kovy except on the PP. The impact was more the fact that Kovy's line was getting top pair D treatment.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
What sort of injury would prevent a player from taking face offs? Wrist? Shoulder?

I wondered the same thing. I know Perreault had said his back was what was hindering his ability at center, said that the faceoffs were too much of a strain on it so he preferred the wing. Little wasn't even taking faceoffs if Wheeler was tossed, Connor came in. On his goal, the shot looked a little weak to me, so wrist makes a lot of sense too, but it didn't appear to hinder him otherwise as far as defending or forechecking...really think this one is strange.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
lot of garbage talk about Little.

He's been one of the most underrated 2 way centres for years.

We are lucky to have had him and lucky to be able to keep him.

He has had a rough year(sort of) but i think any discussion of his decline are greatly exaggerated.

every player ever has up and down years. Little is having a "down year"(not really, i think he's played quite well) his effort execution and skill are all still evident, he's just not getting the points... next year he could explode and have a career year.

Reactions: csk

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
No way I put Roslo at 2C over Little yet. Nowhere near enough sample to trust him there yet, especially in the playoffs. Little has far more experience against top opponents in those situations.
Totally agree with you and I don't like it =). I think you are only looking at Roslo as 2C next season or in the later future. Right now, Little with Connor and Wheeler looked pretty good. If he keeps it up people will be singing your tune about how he still has alot to give.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I wondered the same thing. I know Perreault had said his back was what was hindering his ability at center, said that the faceoffs were too much of a strain on it so he preferred the wing. Little wasn't even taking faceoffs if Wheeler was tossed, Connor came in. On his goal, the shot looked a little weak to me, so wrist makes a lot of sense too, but it didn't appear to hinder him otherwise as far as defending or forechecking...really think this one is strange.
It was also really interesting how far out Little took that shot on that goal as if he was either exhausted or has lost a step.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think it's pretty noticeable that his skating has taken a hit. But he's still a very good player. Hopefully he trains at it this offseason.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I think it's pretty noticeable that his skating has taken a hit. But he's still a very good player. Hopefully he trains at it this offseason.

I am not seeing this at all. Quite a number of times this season I've thought to myself "wow that guy's fast. Who is that?" And then I realize that it's Little.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I am not seeing this at all. Quite a number of times this season I've thought to myself "wow that guy's fast. Who is that?" And then I realize that it's Little.

It's pretty noticeable comparatively to a few seasons ago. He was much quicker then he is now and it allowed him to be a lot more evasive. He's not the first to the puck as often as he used to be and not winning battles as much because of it. Still a good player but I have noticed a decline in his speed and explosiveness.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Nice to see Little put up some production last night. I've been losing sleep lately over his contract. I slept very well last night.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
His cap hit is 5.2, not 6. So you wouldn't have signed Little to an extension? Not sure what you think 29 year old centres with Little's pedigree sign for, this was a fairly team friendly deal considering the modified NTC in the back half.

He's 30, a bit early to write him off, he's a hot streak away from being right around what got him that contract.
It was a fair deal relative to market value, yeah, but that doesn't mean it was a deal Winnipeg should've signed.

I think the most reasonable expectations for that deal were that the first couple years he would be worth it and after he would become an anchor. And even that is simply an awful premise for a contract, especially given the quality of Winnipeg's pipeline. Not to mention a seeming regression right off the bat here if he continues this season's play going forward, which at this point has to be expected - how many players improve as they go further into their 30s?

It was a classic case of a GM getting blinded by loyalty and security. Taking the"safe" and easy way, instead of making the difficult and tough decision. The kind of shortsighted and scared/timid managing that you see everywhere around the league, unfortunately.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
It was a fair deal relative to market value, yeah, but that doesn't mean it was a deal Winnipeg should've signed.

I think the most reasonable expectations for that deal were that the first couple years he would be worth it and after he would become an anchor. And even that is simply an awful premise for a contract, especially given the quality of Winnipeg's pipeline. Not to mention a seeming regression right off the bat here if he continues this season's play going forward, which at this point has to be expected - how many players improve as they go further into their 30s?

It was a classic case of a GM getting blinded by loyalty and security. Taking the"safe" and easy way, instead of making the difficult and tough decision. The kind of shortsighted and scared/timid managing that you see everywhere around the league, unfortunately.
I think it was also a case of Chevy looking down the pipeline and seeing no one ready to play 2C for the next few years. However,r if he waited until now to sign Little he would have seen that Little is regressing, and that Wheeler can also play Centre. If think if Chevy had a re-do, he would not have re-signed Little, and would instead give that money to Wheeler.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I think it was also a case of Chevy looking down the pipeline and seeing no one ready to play 2C for the next few years. However,r if he waited until now to sign Little he would have seen that Little is regressing, and that Wheeler can also play Centre. If think if Chevy had a re-do, he would not have re-signed Little, and would instead give that money to Wheeler.

*Citation needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->