Injury Report: Bryan Little Out For The Season

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Coach-Maurice-in-Dallas-300x196.jpg

Coach Maurice spoke about the loss of Little (ending of the scrum).

To listen click here (or for those who cannot listen I've transcribed coach Maurice's comments).

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Scary.
I very much appreciate those with medical knowledge who chimed in about the (lack of) long term effects.

I will say nothing about the ref, because my mommy told me not to use swear words.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Can't believe people are making tank jokes at the news of Little's injury. This type of injury has the potential to alter his life and change his career.

Let's show a little class or at least save those comments for the tank thread

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Nobody wanted Little to get hurt. I'm a huge fan of the man. All people are saying is that he should go rest and recover and get healthy for next year and the team will be just fine without him for the remainder of the season. Some people have a hard time with reality. We are now better off losing. It's the truth.

Derfel*

Scary.
I very much appreciate those with medical knowledge who chimed in about the (lack of) long term effects.

I will say nothing about the ref, because my mommy told me not to use swear words.

They get filtered out here! So go on ahead! :laugh:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Best of luck Brian, on recovery. We need you big time for our bounce back year next year.

Now that that's taken care of, shouldn't we have known this the day after the incident?

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering. He got X-rays on his back in Tampa Bay immediately after the injury.

Guessing they (Little, management, medical staff) mulled it over and just decided to play it safe and shut him down? Won't pretend to know the implications of a fractured vertebrae, although I know Cam Newton was playing two weeks after he sustained the same injury in a car accident.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
@sensibleguy

That is not what people were saying. Read the comments again

Tank you, Bryan, Tank you

There are others like that as well

That's abhorrent. If you are really going to defend making light of this injury you should probably give your head a shake. Why not Leave the Tank comments to the Tank thread.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Can't believe people are making tank jokes at the news of Little's injury. This type of injury has the potential to alter his life and change his career.

Let's show a little class or at least save those comments for the tank thread

From what I understand there is very low risk of that.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
@sensibleguy

That is not what people were saying. Read the comments again

Tank you, Bryan, Tank you

There are others like that as well

That's abhorrent. If you are really going to defend making light of this injury you should probably give your head a shake. Why not Leave the Tank comments to the Tank thread.

Please report these posts in the future, just click on the little red triangle in the bottom left corner of the offending post.

kaolinite

Oct 24, 2013
Not good news at all.
Anyone remember Mason Raymond ? He was on the up and up then BAM Broken Back. He never recovered. He was younger than Little too. Good chance Little is done.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Not good news at all.
Anyone remember Mason Raymond ? He was on the up and up then BAM Broken Back. He never recovered. He was younger than Little too. Good chance Little is done.

Hardly comparable situations. I watched Little practice on monday. He didn't look done to me.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Not good news at all.

umm what are you talking about? lol. Little was skating well the past few days. He's not "done" at all. He'll be fine...in fact I think there's a good chance he's only out because he doesn't need to be in at this point.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Not good news at all.

if its a stress fracture as reported, he should be fine.

doesn't make the hit any better though. doesn't make me any less pissed off at that whole situation. :rant:

kaolinite

Oct 24, 2013
umm what are you talking about? lol. Little was skating well the past few days. He's not "done" at all. He'll be fine...in fact I think there's a good chance he's only out because he doesn't need to be in at this point.

The decline in play will be steeper and sooner ,if not immediate.Time will tell.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg

I would guess so. Perhaps they just figure it's 1+ month recovery time, so might as well shut him down for the season given the standings.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
if its a stress fracture as reported, he should be fine.

doesn't make the hit any better though. doesn't make me any less pissed off at that whole situation. :rant:

Incorrectly reported as a stress fracture. It's a compression fracture. Isn't twitter great for news!?

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
And that, folks, is what intent to injure looks like.

Stafford was living on borrowed time after his comments on the officials in January.

And still, this hint of paternalism that the NHL seems to approach with is downright ridiculous.

With respect to this situation, hearing this news just angers me even more. I can't help it: Little is a key cog for our team, and it is us fans, our team, our organization at the end of the day that suffers as a result of this kind of play.

Taking the fan glasses off, that hit is still painful to watch and the fact NHL player safety didn't review it is even more infuriating after receiving this news.

His recovery outcome is fortunate relative to what could have happened...but what if it was worse? What then? The actions would have still been the same: the NHL saying "nope no need for view the hit" and the refs still treating it on ice the same way.

So who then is accountable for this result? The NHL had their chance to do something and now this has happened. And if it was worse, it would have made that decision even more ridiculous. These are the kinds of injuries they say they want to try to avoid in the league, and Little was defenceless when it came to this collision. Now they have a top line centreman in the league out for the rest of the season. I am not sure what the organization can do but they should advocate for some level of justice...as this whole situation was terrible.

I understand why Maurice lost his ****.

Last edited:

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Best of luck Brian, on recovery. We need you big time for our bounce back year next year.

Now that that's taken care of, shouldn't we have known this the day after the incident?

Not necessarily. Right after an injury, there is alot of swelling and increased blood flow to the area so it's hard to detect small stress fractures until the injury can settle down a bit.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Incorrectly reported as a stress fracture. It's a compression fracture. Isn't twitter great for news!?

thanks for this clarification....oh Ken Weibe...

A compression fracture is worse than a stress fracture, and although the outcome doesn't make the hit any less dangerous as a result, its still terrible for Bryan to have to go through this.

Could have been worse, and not reviewing this type of play is where the NHL dropped the ball imo.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
**** that sucks. Wish him a speedy recovery and that he is 100% for next year.

Wasnt he just skating? Didn't think he would even risk that if he knew that was a possibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad