Brule

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCCHL inactive

monster_bertuzzi said:
So a 17 year old kid had a temper, big deal. Brule is not the only highly skilled prospect that gets irritated on the ice - I can assure you of that. Perhaps if his Giants mates' could actually score goals like he could he wouldn't be so frustrated...

His on-ice temper had nothing to do with his teammates. His teammates were the ones who calmed him down around Christmas time so he could salvage his season.

I wouldn't classify Brule's actions as being irritated. There were times this season where he was just plain stupid. He was great in his WHL rookie season, but he was "the man" at 17, and he clearly couldn't handle that pressure imo.

I'm not saying he won't be a good NHL player, but he's not the bonafide Top 5 selection he was pegged to be a year ago.

o-dog

May 24, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
I can see Brule dropping in the draft purely due to his size. All it takes is a few GM's to think twice and say, "But there's another guy who is 6'2"." Perhaps there will be some thought put toward the rule changes, but they have not been implemented yet so who knows. Vancouver could very well grab him if they were interested...unless Ottawa does first. Not likely with Muckler going after Price.

faucon

May 11, 2005
monster_bertuzzi said:
Nah, I could care less what TSN says. So they surveyed 10 teams (well, 10 scouts - its not like what Bobby Mckenzie was told is the finished product, one scout could have told him one thing but the head scout or the GM of that particular team could have different rankings come July 30th) and Brule was only 4th at highest - big deal. Do I really care? What it comes down to is that Brule is the second most talented player in the draft. He's slipped (not out of justice) because he is ''small'' at 5'10/5'11 and well, he takes dumb penalties.

Am I alone here? Could it be that I'm crazy? Am I the only one who thinks Brule is 2nd most talented?
I agree with you.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
At 5'10, Brule is "stupid" and takes bad penalties.

If he was 6'2", Brule would be "a gamer", "highly intense", and a power forward who takes a lot of penalties. For some reason, you can take lots of penalties when you're big, and nobody cares. :dunno:

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
PecaFan said:

If he was 6'2", Brule would be "a gamer", "highly intense", and a power forward who takes a lot of penalties. For some reason, you can take lots of penalties when you're big, and nobody cares. :dunno:

NO he wouldn't. There is a big difference in taking hard, aggressive, penalties and stupid, selfish, retaliation penalties.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Rather Gingerly 1 said:
Listening to the scouting reports Brule sounds like a young Michael Peca. Is this an accurate comparsion?

No, not at all! He is a great skater, a goal scorer, and very feisty. I think Brule has potential to score like Nash. He may only be 5'10-5'11 but his skating and agressiveness are awsome, plus he just has the shooting skills of a sniper.

BCCHL inactive

PecaFan said:

The penalties those "highly intense gamers" take are from simple occasional over-aggressiveness. Those are going to happen to most players. That said, the penalties Brule had a nasty habit of taking last season were from retaliation and cussing at referees. At least in the games I saw him play, he seemed to think nobody had the right to even give him a clean bodycheck.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Vincent_TheGreat said:
No, not at all! He is a great skater, a goal scorer, and very feisty. I think Brule has potential to score like Nash. He may only be 5'10-5'11 but his skating and agressiveness are awsome, plus he just has the shooting skills of a sniper.

The reason Nash scores goals is his size. He plants himself in front of the net and knocks in garbage.

It's hard to do that when you're 5'10. Brule and Nash are completely opposite playerse. A poor man's Roenick is the best comparison I've seen.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
nomorekids said:
The reason Nash scores goals is his size. He plants himself in front of the net and knocks in garbage.

It's hard to do that when you're 5'10. Brule and Nash are completely opposite playerse. A poor man's Roenick is the best comparison I've seen.

50% of Brule's goals in the WHL came from the circles out. The kid can snipe - whether it be a slapshot or a quick snapper.

ArtG

Feb 9, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I would say a Gary Roberts type..

After watching some Giants games, this kid definitely has a heavy slap shot and gets some gritty goals in front of the net too. He's the first into the corners stirring things up and throwing big hits.I'd love to have him on my team.

merlin

Mar 10, 2003
montreal
Visit site
Guys, I've seen Brule listed at 5.10 - 5.11 and 175 to 187. Anybody out there knows his actual size? I figure he should grow a little more. Not that it is that important if the leagues sticks with the obstruction crackdown but still nice to know. I have never seen him play but his size seems comparable to Sakic's, no? His style has been compared to Gilmour and Peca with more skills. Plus he seems like a very fast skater from what I have been reading.

merlin said:
Guys, I've seen Brule listed at 5.10 - 5.11 and 175 to 187. Anybody out there knows his actual size? I figure he should grow a little more. Not that it is that important if the leagues sticks with the obstruction crackdown but still nice to know. I have never seen him play but his size seems comparable to Sakic's, no? His style has been compared to Gilmour and Peca with more skills. Plus he seems like a very fast skater from what I have been reading.

CSS usually has the most accurate listings and they have him at 5'10" 175.

habs_24x

Sep 12, 2002
montreal
Visit site
Brule is going third. Remember, you heard it here first.

He is easily the best choice after Johnson and i would even say he would be chosen 2nd if not for the fact that Johson is a defenceman

BCCHL inactive

habs_24x said:
Brule is going third. Remember, you heard it here first.

He is easily the best choice after Johnson and i would even say he would be chosen 2nd if not for the fact that Johson is a defenceman

I would rank Johnson, Kopitar, Ryan, Pouliot, Staal and Price above Brule.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
monster_bertuzzi said:
Nah, I could care less what TSN says. So they surveyed 10 teams (well, 10 scouts - its not like what Bobby Mckenzie was told is the finished product, one scout could have told him one thing but the head scout or the GM of that particular team could have different rankings come July 30th) and Brule was only 4th at highest - big deal. Do I really care? What it comes down to is that Brule is the second most talented player in the draft. He's slipped (not out of justice) because he is ''small'' at 5'10/5'11 and well, he takes dumb penalties.

Am I alone here? Could it be that I'm crazy? Am I the only one who thinks Brule is 2nd most talented?

Quote from Prospects magazine:

"The Giant's forwards offensive talents are impressive, better than any prospect outside of Sidney Crosby. Combine those skills with his nasty disposition on the ice, it seems a good bet that Brule will get picked up somewhere inside the top 5 whenever the draft is held."

Quote from ISS:

"While Langkow has become a solid second- or third-line NHL center, scoring 50-plus points five consecutive seasons, Brule's upside is higher. He could probably be successful in the NHL as a fast, pesky grinder a la Kris Draper, but his offensive skills at top speed make him a much better prospect than that. When he has the puck on his stick, Brule's speed, nimble skating, creativity and stick skills are closer to Pavel Datsyuk than Langkow."

I also very much think that Brule is the 2nd best player in this draft....I could easily see how a team could take Jack Johnson but I cant imagine how anyone could take another player other than Sid or JJ~

In the last year sure Brule took some stupid penalties but he surely didnt go backwards in his progression....I dont believe that players like Pouliot and Ryan have passed him either...Brule is going to be a great player in the NHL...the best comparison right now I think is Jeremy Roenick....he has a better shot then Roenick though....and is possibly a bit more gritty then Roenick.

Had the pens not got the 1 overall I would have wanted them to get Brule :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad