Brule vs Malkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
BrooklynCanuck said:
Brule at this point in his career doesn't even compare to Malkin at this time. Malkin blew up later in the season, flew right up the boards. At this time last season, he was not the prospect Brule is now.

Brule is nowhere near as good as Malkin is now, but that ain't a fair comparison.

Finally someone else who notices that at this point Malkin is head and shoulders above Brule........Malkin is already known by scouts as a soon to be franchise player.....He has the size and all the skill in the world. Brule is great dont get me wrong I absolutely loved seeing him play last year, but there is no way that he compares at this point.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Stiffler's Mom said:
It's a lot closer than you think between Crosby and Brule

I don't think so, trust me, seeing both play live, you understand just how far Crosby is ahead of everyone of his draft class. You think it is close because Brule is awsome and you can't see how someone can be better. Crosby and Brule are both super prospects but Crosby is in a class of his own. The Crosby pick is not a homer pick since I grew up watching him in AAA, the Canada Winter Games, the QMJHL, and I seen Brule in Vancouver, Canada Winter Games and U17s and I can tell you that Crosby is head and shoulders above Brule, what seperates them is the way Crosby sees the ice and knows where everyone is and his understanding of the game, and if you can see that then you would see how far Crosby is ahead of Brule.

db23

Malkin is a great talent. He will have a better career than Ovechkin. With all respect to Gilbert Brule, I don't think he is close to Malkin. Malkin is special.

Also I don't think Brule will go second overall. Johnson, Latendresse or a European could pass him based on size alone.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
db23 said:
Malkin is a great talent. He will have a better career than Ovechkin. With all respect to Gilbert Brule, I don't think he is close to Malkin. Malkin is special.

Also I don't think Brule will go second overall. Johnson, Latendresse or a European could pass him based on size alone.

I don't see Johnson going 2nd nor Latendresse, if anyone IMO will take Brule out of 2nd it is going to be:

Bertram
Anikeenko
Setoguchi
Kindl

db23

BrooklynCanuck said:
Brule at this point in his career doesn't even compare to Malkin at this time. Malkin blew up later in the season, flew right up the boards. At this time last season, he was not the prospect Brule is now.

Brule is nowhere near as good as Malkin is now, but that ain't a fair comparison.

Malkin is only 4 months older than Brule.

Malkin will be the closest thing to Mario Lemieux in the last 20 years. It is fitting that he goes to the Penguins exactly 20 years after Lemieux was drafted by them in 1984.

You guys just have no idea how good he will be.

Reactions: Casanova

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
db23 said:
Malkin is only 4 months older than Brule.

Malkin will be the closest thing to Mario Lemieux in the last 20 years. It is fitting that he goes to the Penguins exactly 20 years after Lemieux was drafted by them in 1984.

You guys just have no idea how good he will be.

I guess we do now. Thanks for enlightening us, Nostradamus

Reactions: Casanova

Stiffler's Mom

Mar 2, 2004
db23 said:

Malkin that great? He's the next Mario Lemieux etc.? How come he didn't even lead his team in scoring at the U18 World Championships last April? This is a tournament where Canada doesn't even send its best players as many of them are in playoffs. Malkin was 2nd on his team and 8th overall in scoring for this tournament jsut months ago. He was even surpassed by a 16 yr old Kessel for the USA. This kid Kessel is a year younger than Malkin. So don't give the b.s. that Brule is 4 months younger than Malkin. It doesn't mean squat how many months older or younger a player is.

Brule led his team and the World U17 tournament in scoring! How can Malkin compare to Brule? Malkin doesn't even compare to Kessel, a kid who will be drafted in 2006! Kessel was blown away by Brule at the U17's. Therefor Brule is far better than Malkin.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
You heard it here first, folks.

Seriously, that last reply was an example of why these forums are going downhill.. I'm all for using statistics to form opinions, but come on!

db23

Stiffler's Mom said:
Malkin that great? He's the next Mario Lemieux etc.? How come he didn't even lead his team in scoring at the U18 World Championships last April? This is a tournament where Canada doesn't even send its best players as many of them are in playoffs. Malkin was 2nd on his team and 8th overall in scoring for this tournament jsut months ago. He was even surpassed by a 16 yr old Kessel for the USA. This kid Kessel is a year younger than Malkin. So don't give the b.s. that Brule is 4 months younger than Malkin. It doesn't mean squat how many months older or younger a player is.

Brule led his team and the World U17 tournament in scoring! How can Malkin compare to Brule? Malkin doesn't even compare to Kessel, a kid who will be drafted in 2006! Kessel was blown away by Brule at the U17's. Therefor Brule is far better than Malkin.

Malkin had already dominated the U18 the previous year. As a 16 year old like Kessel. He had as many points as a 16 year old as Kessel did, plus he was 6 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier. Malkin plays a team game. Why run up the score against much inferior opposition? He turned it on when he had to last year (2 goals, 3 points, versus Canada) and was the MVP of the tournament. The thing that seperates Malkin from most of the class this year is just that...."Class".

Kessel is nearly a full year younger than Brule, and I don't think you can say he was "blown away" by him at the U17. For that matter Andrew Cogliano, who is 6 months younger than Brule and about the same size was MVP of that tournament. Does that make Cogliano better than Brule?

Last edited by a moderator:

Stiffler's Mom

Mar 2, 2004
Cogliano MVP?

Can you please show me where I can find, either on the Hockey Canada or U17 or U18 or any website where I can see the U17 Tournament Award Winners. I can't seem to find it? I'd be interested in seeing who the MVP, Top D Man,Top Goaltender etc awards are. You state that Cogliano was tournament MVP, just want to see where you saw it. Thanks.

db23

I don't know if it's still around. That was back at the beginning of the year, right around when the WJC was happening. Coglaino played for Team Ontario who won the championship and he was MVP, I know that much. Brule played for Team Pacific and was one of the top scorers. The U.S. team ran into a hot goalie with Team Quebec and was eliminated. I think they outshot the Quebecers 60 to 16 or something ridiculous, but couldn't beat the goalie.

Stiffler's Mom

Mar 2, 2004
Cogliano MVP?

db23 said:
I don't know if it's still around. That was back at the beginning of the year, right around when the WJC was happening. Coglaino played for Team Ontario who won the championship and he was MVP, I know that much. Brule played for Team Pacific and was one of the top scorers. The U.S. team ran into a hot goalie with Team Quebec and was eliminated. I think they outshot the Quebecers 60 to 16 or something ridiculous, but couldn't beat the goalie.

Out of 6 Team Ontario Games in the tournament Cogliano was picked the Game MVP only once. Doubt it very much that there is any tournament MVP award. It would be on the Website by now. Besides there aren't any other awards either. I don't thank any awards have been announced at all for this U17 tournament. By the way Brule was game MVP, 3 times in 6 games, Most of any player in the tournament. IMO Brule was top scorer and MVP.

Did you notice Cogliano's phantom goal in the final game vs Pacific? He claimed he went to the front of the net on national TV and deflected the puck in, when in actual fact he was clearly skating behind the net on the play and wasn't anywhere near the puck. Liar!

db23

Cogliano had about the same amount of points in the tournament as Brule and his team did win the championship. He was the MVP of the Gold Medal winning game at least, although I'm sure there was a blurb in the U of Michigan site that said he was also named tournament MVP. Either way, there wasn't much to choose between he and Brule at that tournament. Brule was listed at 5-10, 165 on the Giants site. Cogliano is also listed at 5-10 165 on Michigan site, Kessel is 5-10, 161 on the IIHF site, but he is the youngest of the three by 4 months on Cogliano, 10 months younger than Brule. :dunno: It is pretty hard to pick one of these guys above the other at this point, since they are all playing in different programs.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Stiffler's Mom said:
Out of 6 Team Ontario Games in the tournament Cogliano was picked the Game MVP only once. Doubt it very much that there is any tournament MVP award. It would be on the Website by now. Besides there aren't any other awards either. I don't thank any awards have been announced at all for this U17 tournament. By the way Brule was game MVP, 3 times in 6 games, Most of any player in the tournament. IMO Brule was top scorer and MVP.

Did you notice Cogliano's phantom goal in the final game vs Pacific? He claimed he went to the front of the net on national TV and deflected the puck in, when in actual fact he was clearly skating behind the net on the play and wasn't anywhere near the puck. Liar!

Levasseur was tournament MVP goalie
I don't think Brule was tournament MVP, Cogliano was amazing on the ice for Ontario, there were a few games Brule never made a great impression in, and Cogliano did show up every game he played and was possibly the major reason Ontario won. I can't find the award winners but I was there and I don't think Brule won MVP, I could be wrong but I don't think it was him.

db23

It is not true that Brule "blew away" anyone in that tournament, really. He had 13 points, Nat Gerbe and Colgiano had 12, Brock Bradford had 11, Kessel and Latendresse 10 apiece. Even Peter Mueller, who is over a year younger than Brule and will be a lot bigger had 5 or 6 points for the Americans. No doubt he is an excellant young player, but he hasn't really seperated himself from a lot of other draft eligible players behind Sidney Crosby. Latendresse is huge, for one thing, and there are several defencemen to consider as well.

Stiffler's Mom

Mar 2, 2004
time will tell. Mueller is a good player no doubt. As are Kessel, Birnstill, Johnson, Gerbe. The USA appeared to have a good team until they met team Pacific. This USA team trains, practices and plays together most of the year. So you would think that they would have had a better U17.

Is it possible that their players are a little over rated? I mean, since they were playing teams that had never played together before, at all, don't you think their final standings were a little disappointing. I would think so. Maybe they just had a bad tournament. I mean they lost to Quebec twice. How good could they be? We will get another glimpse of the USA U18 team soon enough. We'll see how they do.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Stiffler's Mom said:
time will tell. Mueller is a good player no doubt. As are Kessel, Birnstill, Johnson, Gerbe. The USA appeared to have a good team until they met team Pacific. This USA team trains, practices and plays together most of the year. So you would think that they would have had a better U17.

Is it possible that their players are a little over rated? I mean, since they were playing teams that had never played together before, at all, don't you think their final standings were a little disappointing. I would think so. Maybe they just had a bad tournament. I mean they lost to Quebec twice. How good could they be? We will get another glimpse of the USA U18 team soon enough. We'll see how they do.

let me tell you about the USA, Mueller was nothing in the tournement, he nevr impressed anyone really, looked lazy and lost out there. The USAs only good players were Gerbe (IMO he was the best of all USA players), Johnson (he was awsome), Kessel (played great as well), Jason Lawrence (played very well as well), players that were over hyped Skille, Morin, Stuart, Mitera, Cahill, Frazee, barley anyone played well on this team.

db23

Mueller is still just 15 years old, moose, you have to cut him a little slack. He is a year and half younger than Gilbert Brule who was the oldest player in the tournament. That is a huge gap at this point in players careers.

db23

Stiffler's Mom said:

Americans have been winning a lot of juior age tournaments lately. At least as many as Canada has. They didn't have the goaltending last year as much as anything else. It is hard to make firm judgements in short tournaments like that where the level of competition is so uneven. Kessel, Johnson and Mueller would be top flight players wherever they played. Mitera as well. Rumor is that Peter Mueller will go to the WHL or the USHL next season. He should do well in the CHL, he is 6-2, 200 pounds already.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
db23 said:
Mueller is still just 15 years old, moose, you have to cut him a little slack. He is a year and half younger than Gilbert Brule who was the oldest player in the tournament. That is a huge gap at this point in players careers.

I have seen many underagers at this tourny or th replacement tourny the Canada Winter Games and the players such as, Steve Bernier, G. Latendresse, Alex Bourrett, Daniel Ryder, Daniel Bertram, Gilbert Brule, Sidney Crosby, Tomas Marcinko, guys like that have all lived up to the hype surrounding them going into a tourny like this. After seeing Mueller I don't understand the hype as he was very lazy, would not shoot much though he possessed a great shot, made decisions slow on the ice and never showed any drive at all. Underager or not you still play your game, now maybe he can fix these problems as he does have a high skill level, but I was saying most of his points at this tourny was 2nd assists but for the hype surrounding him saying he is one of the next great USA players well he never showed anything to solidify that statement.

Stiffler's Mom

Mar 2, 2004
db23 said:
Cogliano had about the same amount of points in the tournament as Brule and his team did win the championship. He was the MVP of the Gold Medal winning game at least, although I'm sure there was a blurb in the U of Michigan site that said he was also named tournament MVP. Either way, there wasn't much to choose between he and Brule at that tournament. Brule was listed at 5-10, 165 on the Giants site. Cogliano is also listed at 5-10 165 on Michigan site, Kessel is 5-10, 161 on the IIHF site, but he is the youngest of the three by 4 months on Cogliano, 10 months younger than Brule. :dunno: It is pretty hard to pick one of these guys above the other at this point, since they are all playing in different programs.
Actually in the Gold Medal U17 game, Kyle Lamb was Player of the Game for Ontario. Brock Bradford for Team Pacific. Here's the link www.hockeycanada.ca/e/championships/u17/2004/index.html. I still haven't seen any evidence of Tournament MVP, Top Defenseman etc.

Stiffler's Mom

Mar 2, 2004
moosefan said:
let me tell you about the USA, Mueller was nothing in the tournement, he nevr impressed anyone really, looked lazy and lost out there. The USAs only good players were Gerbe (IMO he was the best of all USA players), Johnson (he was awsome), Kessel (played great as well), Jason Lawrence (played very well as well), players that were over hyped Skille, Morin, Stuart, Mitera, Cahill, Frazee, barley anyone played well on this team.
I know that Mueller was disappointed with his performance, but he was one of the youngest in the tournament. He will be fine and has a great future in hockey. I agree with Moosefan that Gerbe was outstanding, as were Johnson, and Kessel. The rest of the team played well against weaker teams but faded against stronger opposition. I though the USA goaltending was suspect though, so they have to take some of the responsibility for USA's poor showing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->