Brule v McArdle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
The purpose of this post isn't to suggest McArdle should be ranked higher than Brule. It's clear Brule has established himself as a top 5 pick and is arguably the 2nd best player in the draft.

But in comparing these two players, I was wondering whether McArdle isn't a bad consolation prize for a team looking to get Brule. As a comparison...

Brule has 33 goals and 72 points in 57 games (1.26).
McArdle has 31 goals and 63 points in 56 games (1.12 ppg).
Both are in the top 10 in WHL scoring.

Brule has 124 PIMs and is a feisty and physical under-sized forward (5'10, 180 give or take). He has been criticized (sometimes probably nitpicking) about taking some dumb penalties.
McArdle has 97 PIMs and is also a feisty and physical under-sized forward (5'11, 195 give or take).

Brule is the top scorer by 10 points on on a solid team with solid talent around him, and has been in on 41.2% of his team's goals.
McArdle is the top scorer by 11 points on on arguably the worst team in the CHL, and has been in on 41.5% of his teams goals.
(Both of these %'s are amongst the highest in the CHL)

Brule is +4 on a team that overall has scored 3 more goals than the opposition (good).
McArdle is -4 on a team that overall has scored 81 goals less than the opposition (very good).

Skill wise, Brule is regarded as superior, but both are very good skaters and like to initiate contact.

Again, this is not to bring Brule down, but rather to suggest McArdle should be considered in the top 10-15 ala Alex Bourret. But I've only seen him play in the prospects game, so I was wondering whether there is something I'm missing. McKeens for one suggests there are no real weaknesses to McArdle's game and admit he is probably underrated (they have him at 29 in their last ranking, up about 20 spots).

I suppose you could throw Setoguchi and Bourret into this same discussion, because they too fit the same mold. The only difference is that McArdle has been projected outside of the first round on many scouting lists, while Setoguchi and Bourret are generally considered a top 10-15 prospects already.

So am I missing something about McArdle?

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
McArdle is slowly working his way up the rankings. With my rankings it takes a while for me to adjust with the guys that fly under the radar. With the higher ranked guys you like to give them the benefit of the doubt before you drop them, while with the guys that weren't on your radar you want to get more info and wait a while before you move them up.

I think the reason McArdle is taking longer because he was regarded as a checker going into the season but has shown that he has more than that to his game. By the end of the year he will probably be a consensus 1st round pick. I have him at 24 and I could see myself moving him up in the 10-20 range by the end of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad