Brule/Malkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkplug

Apr 30, 2004
Vancouver BC
Epsilon said:
That's an exagerration. This isn't the NBA or NFL, and Crosby isn't Lebron James or Eli Manning. The exposure he gets is miniscule compared to top NBA and NFL prospects. The only way you would possibly get any "public backlash" is if a Canadian team picked Brule first overall because the Canadian media is the only source hyping up Crosby. He's not going to be making the cover of SI a year before he's drafted like Lebron did.

Nonetheless, it'll be a huge controversey in any respectable hockey town.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
How did a Brule/Malkin thread turn into a Brule/Crosby thread?

People who see more in Brule than Crosby are wearing WHL goggles. Come on, let's be realistic here. I love Brule, he's got Yzerman written all over him. Brilliant player in all three zones and a great character guy. Wicked hands. But Crosby is far, far ahead of him and doesn't have a ceiling. The sky is the limit for Crosby.

I hate to insult people here but those who think Brule is better are either Ovechkin fans that hate Crosby or they are the type of people who think they are smarter than everyone else. Picking an underdog rather than the concensus pick. I can't stress enough how much I appreciate Brule, but he has done absolutely nothing to show an unbiased hockey mind that he matches Crosby's skill level. Anyone who takes Yzerman over Lemieux is a fool.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Epsilon said:
The Canadian media is the only source hyping up Crosby.

How do you figure that? Crosby has been featured in SI. Sure he didn't get the cover, but it says a whole lot about his accomplishments considering the minimal hockey interest in SI's US based demographic. The Canadian media are hardly the only ones hyping Sidney Crosby. Most of his hype was generated within the industry until about midway through this season when he forced the media to talk about him. Making the WJHC team and performing the way he did made people pay attention because the casual hockey fan was just being introduced to this kid from the east coast who is doing things nobody before him had ever done. Anyone who knows anything about hockey in Europe knows who he is, and it ain't the CBC or the Montreal Gazette that introduced him there.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Don Cherry,

It's not a matter of talent. Nobody is doubting Crosby has a higher celeign.

However, I feel Brule is not only a MUCH much safer pick, but potentially a better player in clutch moments of a hockey game. There is a potential Daigle factor in Crosby that I see - not a huge one mind you, but it's there. Whereas I see nothing in Brule that makes me believe he won't be anything short of an NHL superstar.

Would I take Brule #1 over Crosby right now? Yes. Will a team pick Brule over Crosby? Heck no. Crosby could miss the entire year next year and still be taken #1 overall in 2006. But that's the nature of the beast.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Crosbyfan said:
Just thought I'd point out that you know nothing of Crosby. You may have a good point about Brule being a good captain but with statements like that it's hard to take you seriously.

well if you read what i said you would know that i said " i based my opinion on the few games i have seen with crosby in it."

I know how hyped the guy is...
I know what he can probably do I just see Crosby becoming A Pavel Bure clone from the game i have seen....

BTW how many games of Brule have you seen?

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Mizral said:
Don Cherry,

However, I feel Brule is not only a MUCH much safer pick, but potentially a better player in clutch moments of a hockey game. There is a potential Daigle factor in Crosby that I see - not a huge one mind you, but it's there. Whereas I see nothing in Brule that makes me believe he won't be anything short of an NHL superstar.

Would I take Brule #1 over Crosby right now? Yes. Will a team pick Brule over Crosby? Heck no. Crosby could miss the entire year next year and still be taken #1 overall in 2006. But that's the nature of the beast.

Fair enough, however just curious as to what you have seen in Crosby's play that makes you feel like there is a small element of Daigle?

SwOOsh*

Mizral said:
Don Cherry,

Couldn't have put it better myself.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Don_Cherry said:
Fair enough, however just curious as to what you have seen in Crosby's play that makes you feel like there is a small element of Daigle?

even though the question is not directed at me i see it as the Hype and pressure put on the kid is going to kill him unless he goes to some city where there is no pressure.

If he goes to a Canadian City i can almost quarantee he will bust as people up here are just stupid when prospects don't deliver right away....

Alot of U.S. cities with Hockey history could destroy him from being what he can with his talent....

The best thing for him would be to be drafted by someone like Carolina, Anaheim, Florida or Atlanta where there isn't as much of the hype on the kid and therefore not as much pressure.

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
Don_Cherry said:

Crosby have learned French, that's suspicious :)

Seriously I don't know how good is Brule but Crosby have a very good attitude.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
xtra said:
well if you read what i said you would know that i said " i based my opinion on the few games i have seen with crosby in it."

I know how hyped the guy is...
I know what he can probably do I just see Crosby becoming A Pavel Bure clone from the game i have seen....

BTW how many games of Brule have you seen?

You based your opinion that Crosby "would NEVER be captain material" on a few games? :dunno:

I said NOTHING against Brule. I said you may have a point about Brule being potentially a captain, but that it was hard to take you seriously when you make bold statements that Crosby would never be "captain material". If you think his teammates, even if they're MUCH OLDER teenagers, don't listen to him and respect him then you have no credibility.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
xtra said:
even though the question is not directed at me i see it as the Hype and pressure put on the kid is going to kill him unless he goes to some city where there is no pressure.

If he goes to a Canadian City i can almost quarantee he will bust as people up here are just stupid when prospects don't deliver right away....

Alot of U.S. cities with Hockey history could destroy him from being what he can with his talent....

The best thing for him would be to be drafted by someone like Carolina, Anaheim, Florida or Atlanta where there isn't as much of the hype on the kid and therefore not as much pressure.

This makes sense for most people, but Sid seems to thrive on the pressure. He's mentally tough and never has 2 bad (read average) games in a row, but he seems to know "it's just a game", and yet tenaciously strive to get better.

Stiffler's Mom

Mar 2, 2004
What has Brule done? Brule led the World U17 tournament in scoring. Not a small feat! Ovechkin didn't. WHL Rookie of the Year! No small feat either. There is no reason to stick your head in the sand and ignore Brule's accomplishments just because Crosby has had a sensational season in the Q. Brule's and Crosby's styles of play are as different as the leagues in which they compete.

A few points defending Yzerman. What does Yzerman have over Lemieux? Durability! Yzerman has more career points in reg season and playoffs than Lemieux although in fewer games. Yzerman has 3 Cups to Lemieux's 2. Yzerman plays defense, Lemieux does not. What does Lemieux have over Yzerman, better points per game, size, creativity. In the end both Lemieux and Yzerman have had great careers. Most likely the same will be said 20 years from now for players like Brule, Malkin, Crosby, and Ovechkin.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Mizral said:
Don Cherry,

I like how it is said Crosby isn't as clutch as Brule...one instance is at the Canada Games Crosby scored the goal with 1 sec left to tie the game against Manitoba then with about 5 seconds into overtime he set the winning goal up...at the finals for Dartmouth in AAA Crosby set the winning goal up in overtime to win the Maritime finals. That is just two instances...there were many more in Rimouski.

Sethis

May 9, 2004
The way I see it:

Crosby = Lafontaine/Sakic
Brule = Yzerman/Iginla
Malkin = Fedorov/Forsberg

In terms of *TOP-END* potential. Maybe a little bit more for Crosby, I'd have to see his progress this year, but those are some lofty comparisons none-the-less. Personally, I think Brule will be the best of the bunch slipping below some peoples radars amidst Crosby's hype.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
Mizral said:
I've seen Brule play a ton this year. He's got NHL superstar written all over him. He's easily the best 16 year old I've ever seen in the WHL, and judging what I've seen from Crosby, I'd take Brule over him.

WTF? Obviously, you haven't seen enough!

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Alex Kovalev said:
Or maybe the other way around, have you seen Brule play?

If you have seen both play can you explain the HUGE difference in individual stats and/or "individual stats compared to their respective team's other players stats" that exists in spite of Brule's talent/determination etc etc

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Crosbyfan,

Simon Gamache put up 185 points in the QMJHL one year and hasn't done much since. I know the age thing, but all I'm saying is tht the QMJHL is such a different league, it's not fair to compare at all.

Much will be found out next season, though. We'll see what happens.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Mizral said:
Crosbyfan,

Simon Gamache put up 185 points in the QMJHL one year and hasn't done much since. I know the age thing, but all I'm saying is tht the QMJHL is such a different league, it's not fair to compare at all.

Much will be found out next season, though. We'll see what happens.

So Crosby, at 7 months younger, gets twice the points and leads his team in +/- while Brule, at 7 months older, gets half the points and his +/- is average for his team and you pick Brule based on the differences in the Leagues?

Any wishful thinking involved?

leafaholix*

It seems like most people taking Brule over Crosby are from the West.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Crosbyfan said:
So Crosby, at 7 months younger, gets twice the points and leads his team in +/- while Brule, at 7 months older, gets half the points and his +/- is average for his team and you pick Brule based on the differences in the Leagues?

Any wishful thinking involved?

Brule got 2nd line minutes with the Giants because of other scorers like Courchaine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad