Brule & Bertram

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubfan

Jun 1, 2004
i have been seeing people comparing these two lately. i dont see a comparison between them except they went 1 and 2 to the same team in the dub draft. in my eyes Bertram isnt half the player of Brule and Bertram should go in the first round. im thinking early third.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
dubfan said:
i have been seeing people comparing these two lately. i dont see a comparison between them except they went 1 and 2 to the same team in the dub draft. in my eyes Bertram isnt half the player of Brule and Bertram should go in the first round. im thinking early third.

No I seen both play games live, and so did the photographer for LA photos and we were both talking in the media van when going up to a game in Newfoundland along with my friend who also does photos. All three of us agreed that Bertram was the better of the two, just that since Brule played CHL and Bertram played Jr A people are going to see and assume that Brule is better, but everyone likes players differently, as was the reason for Gretzky taking Wheeler like 5th overall this year. If I was drafting I would take Bertram before Brule, I seen both play head to head and other teams and my opinon is Bertram is a better player than Brule.

X-SHARKIE

moosefan said:
No I seen both play games live, and so did the photographer for LA photos and we were both talking in the media van when going up to a game in Newfoundland along with my friend who also does photos. All three of us agreed that Bertram was the better of the two, just that since Brule played CHL and Bertram played Jr A people are going to see and assume that Brule is better, but everyone likes players differently, as was the reason for Gretzky taking Wheeler like 5th overall this year. If I was drafting I would take Bertram before Brule, I seen both play head to head and other teams and my opinon is Bertram is a better player than Brule.

I absolutely love Brules game and I would take Brule over Bertram. Don't get me wrong, I think Bertram has a good shot at being a top 5 pick.

Brule has shown he can handle the grind and do it night in night out in the WHL.

He's not as fast or doesn't have Bertrams super natural soft hands, but Brule has all the intangibles and he has a complete game, I could see him producing for a NHL right away much like Ruutu did and down the road his upside is great.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
I remember when I was on a lacrosse teams with some players who got drafted into the WHL the same year. There was a whole bunch of "contreversy" because everybody said that the only reason the Giants took Brule first was because he was from Vancouver and had they not had the top two picks, they would have taken Bertram.

It was kind of stupid, but the thoughts around here was that Bertram is the better player too.

Stiffler's Mom

Mar 2, 2004
X-SHARKIE said:
I absolutely love Brules game and I would take Brule over Bertram. Don't get me wrong, I think Bertram has a good shot at being a top 5 pick.

Brule has shown he can handle the grind and do it night in night out in the WHL.

He's not as fast or doesn't have Bertrams super natural soft hands, but Brule has all the intangibles and he has a complete game, I could see him producing for a NHL right away much like Ruutu did and down the road his upside is great.
Brule has plenty of speed as evidenced in several of his end to end rushes that culminated in spectacular goals. Redline has Brule ranked #2 and Bertram #24. And yes they have spent considerable time watching both. Brule's speed is excellent but what really stands out is his manouverability with the puck. He also has an outstanding array of shooting skills.

All in all they are both excellent skaters. In no way is Brule an inferior skater to Bertram.

Stiffler's Mom

Mar 2, 2004
Roughneck said:
I remember when I was on a lacrosse teams with some players who got drafted into the WHL the same year. There was a whole bunch of "contreversy" because everybody said that the only reason the Giants took Brule first was because he was from Vancouver and had they not had the top two picks, they would have taken Bertram.

It was kind of stupid, but the thoughts around here was that Bertram is the better player too.
From what I remember Vancouver had the #2 and #3 picks for the 2002 WHL bantam draft. Prince Albert Raiders had the #1 pick. I beleive that Vancouver traded up and swapped their #3 pick and a 3rd round draft pick for PA's #1 pick. This means that Vancouver really wanted Brule and traded up for him. Otherwise they would have picked Bertram first, which they did not. Vancouver did not want to take the chance that PA would draft Brule first and made a deal for him. Obviously the Giants wanted Bertram also, but as a 2nd pick. Bertram has comitted to Boston College.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Stiffler's Mom said:
Brule has plenty of speed as evidenced in several of his end to end rushes that culminated in spectacular goals. Redline has Brule ranked #2 and Bertram #24. And yes they have spent considerable time watching both. Brule's speed is excellent but what really stands out is his manouverability with the puck. He also has an outstanding array of shooting skills.

All in all they are both excellent skaters. In no way is Brule an inferior skater to Bertram.

Brule is inferior to Bertrams skating...Bertrams skating is among the fastest I have seen for a prospect, I have seen Pavel Bure and so on skate and I would put Bertram up with him. Brule is a fast skater yes and a very smooth and agilie skater as well, but Bertrams speed kills Brules on the ice by far.

Stiffler's Mom

Mar 2, 2004
moosefan said:
Brule is inferior to Bertrams skating...Bertrams skating is among the fastest I have seen for a prospect, I have seen Pavel Bure and so on skate and I would put Bertram up with him. Brule is a fast skater yes and a very smooth and agilie skater as well, but Bertrams speed kills Brules on the ice by far.
As far as Bure goes, he had world class first 3 step acceleration, but he didn't possess top end speed. Ask anyone who trained him. His world class acceleration caused great stress on his knees because his top speed skating technique was less than perfect.

Are you comparing Brule and Bertram's acceleration or top end speed? This makes a drifference when you are comparing the two. Just want to know. And I would like to know your opinion on whether you are commenting on their speed with or without the puck. This also makes a huge difference.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Stiffler's Mom said:
As far as Bure goes, he had world class first 3 step acceleration, but he didn't possess top end speed. Ask anyone who trained him. His world class acceleration caused great stress on his knees because his top speed skating technique was less than perfect.

Are you comparing Brule and Bertram's acceleration or top end speed? This makes a drifference when you are comparing the two. Just want to know. And I would like to know your opinion on whether you are commenting on their speed with or without the puck. This also makes a huge difference.

Like I said both have great speed, but with or with out the puck Bertram is just as fast, he is a jet on the ice, Bertram has top end acceleration and top end speed, brule has great speed and acceleration as well but Bertram is faster than Brule though there is great speed then there are jets and Bertram has jets. With the puck Bertram is super fast and has great control of the puck and is faster than Brule as well in this catagory.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
moosefan said:
Like I said both have great speed, but with or with out the puck Bertram is just as fast, he is a jet on the ice, Bertram has top end acceleration and top end speed, brule has great speed and acceleration as well but Bertram is faster than Brule though there is great speed then there are jets and Bertram has jets. With the puck Bertram is super fast and has great control of the puck and is faster than Brule as well in this catagory.

Bertram is in a class by himself in the skating department, as good as a skater that Brule is, he cannot touch Bertram.

That being said, skating is the only attribute Bertram has over Brule. Brule is a much more gritty player, can handle the physical game much better and, in my opinion, has better stick skills than Bertram. If it were my choice between the two, I would take Brule without hesitation.

Last edited:

leondias

Aug 1, 2004
Thermopylae
moosefan said:

So I guess we can expect McKeen's to have Bertram ahead of Brule?? I wonder if Red Line and ISS will as well.
Personally I have brule well ahead of bertram. Tougher as or more skilled and a much better 2 way game.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
leondias said:
So I guess we can expect McKeen's to have Bertram ahead of Brule?? I wonder if Red Line and ISS will as well.
Personally I have brule well ahead of bertram. Tougher as or more skilled and a much better 2 way game.

no as I do not decide where they are ranked most of the time, I just do the scouting reports.

leondias

Aug 1, 2004
Thermopylae
moosefan said:
no as I do not decide where they are ranked most of the time, I just do the scouting reports.
didn't Bertram play less than a period last year at under-17 and yet you like him more than brule?
Why?

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
leondias said:
didn't Bertram play less than a period last year at under-17 and yet you like him more than brule?
Why?

Bertram got injured on his 2nd shift of his first game. The line was Bertram-Brule-Setoguchi and Bertram brought the puck down the ice with his blazing speed and hands, made a great pass to Brule for a goal on their first shift. On the 2nd shift Bertram slid legs first into the boards hurting his knee and keeping him out of hockey for like 2 months. So he only played 1 shift, had a point then got injured.

I like Bertram more than Brule because, I don't find Brule consistant per shift he is a special talent and you can tell but this draft comming up has a few special talents, Brule I find is just awsome but I find Bertrams speed, great hands and offensive capablilities and his willingness to throw hits and take the body as well and his willingess to play defense make him more of a asset than Brule. Though Brule is better than Bertram at taking hits and giving hits, I find Bertrams speed opens up so much more oppertunity at both ends of the rink for him that it is crazy.

Brule at the U17s was not as good as his stats indicated either. Brule never did well inthe gold medal game nor did he do well against Ontario either, Setoguchi was a consistant threat in the games he was in. I thought Brule at the tournament was outplayed by Cogliano and Setoguchi, Bertram never had a chance to really show his stuff with only two shifts because of injury.

I also seen alot of Bertram and Brule at the Canada Winter Games and Bertram blew Brule away there. I seen Bertram play for the Camrose Kodiaks as well last year. I seen Brule play at the Canada Winter Games, U17s, so I am not making this assumption on hear say I seen both play many times and made my pick as to who I think is better. Most people saying Brule is better have only seen Brule play because he is CHL and Bertram was playing Jr A so he can go to Boston NCAA next year.

Last edited:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
It would have been nice to see Bertram at least dominate the AJHL, rather than put up so ho-hum numbers that are barely better than what Brule did in the WHL. As a small offensive forward who is much less physical and seemingly suited for the pro game as Brule, Bertram will be defined by his numbers - and so far, they aren't great.

And straight ahead skating speed is over-rated. Otherwise Matt Elich and Sergei Soin would have been franchise players.

Admittedly, I've never seen Bertram play, but I do have an idea of how good the AJHL is, and 55 points in 44 games is ok, but hardly awe-inspiring. Is there something I'm missing here?

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Dr.Sens(e) said:
It would have been nice to see Bertram at least dominate the AJHL, rather than put up so ho-hum numbers that are barely better than what Brule did in the WHL. As a small offensive forward who is much less physical and seemingly suited for the pro game as Brule, Bertram will be defined by his numbers - and so far, they aren't great.

And straight ahead skating speed is over-rated. Otherwise Matt Elich and Sergei Soin would have been franchise players.

Admittedly, I've never seen Bertram play, but I do have an idea of how good the AJHL is, and 55 points in 44 games is ok, but hardly awe-inspiring. Is there something I'm missing here?

considering if he played as many games as the other guys on his team did he would have been leading scorer as 16 year old for his team plus one of the leading scorers in the league, I would think that is pretty damn good myself. Or am I missing something????????????????????? Its not just straight away speed he has, he has super hands to go with it, plus agility, great vision and awarness on the ice, great passing and scoring skills, plays defense, willing to give hits and play the boards and corners and defense. It is not just speed with his game.

Eldrick

Apr 23, 2004
Dr.Sens(e) said:
As a small offensive forward who is much less physical and seemingly suited for the pro game as Brule...

That's one part where you are dead wrong.

Bertram is very physical, plays with a LOT of grit.
With Bertram listed at Hockey Canada website at 5'11", 175 and Brule at 5'10", 180 I am not sure why you consider Bertram as 'smaller' than Brule.
Bertram is an excellent defensive player, both on the kill and 5 on 5.

maxen1

Jul 17, 2004
The roster sheet that was handed out at the game last night has Bertram 5'9.5 175 lbs and Brule 5'10 175 lbs. Bertram played a great game IMO.

QQQ

Dec 15, 2003
Hi Maxen1:

can you list the weight and sizes as listed on the roster sheet handed out at the camp for all players?

Thx

leondias

Aug 1, 2004
Thermopylae
moosefan said:
Bertram got injured on his 2nd shift of his first game. The line was Bertram-Brule-Setoguchi and Bertram brought the puck down the ice with his blazing speed and hands, made a great pass to Brule for a goal on their first shift. On the 2nd shift Bertram slid legs first into the boards hurting his knee and keeping him out of hockey for like 2 months. So he only played 1 shift, had a point then got injured.

I like Bertram more than Brule because, I don't find Brule consistant per shift he is a special talent and you can tell but this draft comming up has a few special talents, Brule I find is just awsome but I find Bertrams speed, great hands and offensive capablilities and his willingness to throw hits and take the body as well and his willingess to play defense make him more of a asset than Brule. Though Brule is better than Bertram at taking hits and giving hits, I find Bertrams speed opens up so much more oppertunity at both ends of the rink for him that it is crazy.

Brule at the U17s was not as good as his stats indicated either. Brule never did well inthe gold medal game nor did he do well against Ontario either, Setoguchi was a consistant threat in the games he was in. I thought Brule at the tournament was outplayed by Cogliano and Setoguchi, Bertram never had a chance to really show his stuff with only two shifts because of injury.

I also seen alot of Bertram and Brule at the Canada Winter Games and Bertram blew Brule away there. I seen Bertram play for the Camrose Kodiaks as well last year. I seen Brule play at the Canada Winter Games, U17s, so I am not making this assumption on hear say I seen both play many times and made my pick as to who I think is better. Most people saying Brule is better have only seen Brule play because he is CHL and Bertram was playing Jr A so he can go to Boston NCAA next year.

Well I have to say you are in the minority in liking the weak but fast bertram more than Brule. I would say that at this point Brule goes at least 10 spots ahead of him and has a better nhl career.

leondias

Aug 1, 2004
Thermopylae
maxen1 said:
The roster sheet that was handed out at the game last night has Bertram 5'9.5 175 lbs and Brule 5'10 175 lbs. Bertram played a great game IMO.

Well he scored a goal on a nice pass anyway. Where was he in the 1st and he wasn't effective at all in the 3rd.
Been the biggest dissapointment of camp for me.

maxen1

Jul 17, 2004
This is what was posted as height and weight on the roster sheets at the game. I'm not too sure how the heights were derived.

Red Team
Dustin Butler 6’ 1 159
Ryan Mior 5’11 182
Kyle Lamb 5’10 199
Scott Jackson 6’3 197
Patrick McNeil 5’11 195
Jean Paquet 6’2 207
Ryan Parent 6’1.5 181
Kris Russell 5’9.5 159
Brett Sutter 5’11 187
Cody Bass 5’11.5 181
Dan Bertram 5’9.5 175
Devin Setoguchi 5’11.5 185
Nick Drazenovic 6’0 159
Jordan Clendenning 5’9 180
Cal Clutterbuck 5’9 198
Bryan Little 5’9 185
Marc Cote 5’11.5 183
Francis Pare 5’9 172
Justin Saulnier 5’9 197
Chris Durand 6’1 182

White Team
Jean Levasseur 5’11.5 185
Carey Price 6’2.5 209
Luc Bourdon 6’1 202
Dustin Kohn 5’11.5 183
Marc Gragnani 6’1 178
Brendan Mikkelson 6’2 178
Marc Staal 6’2 180
Ryan Wilson 6’0 208
Richard Clune 5’9.5 197
Brock Bradford 5’8 152
Daniel Ryder 5’11 192
Adam Hobson 5’11.5 200
Gilbert Brule 5’10 175
Andrew Cogliano 5’9 177
Chris Lawrence 6’3.5 204
Mike Roelofsen 5’9.5 181
Phillipe Cote 6’1 181
Mike Kaye 6’1 200
Ryan O’Marra 6’1 188
Riley Merkley 6’2.5 163

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
leondias said:
Well I have to say you are in the minority in liking the weak but fast bertram more than Brule. I would say that at this point Brule goes at least 10 spots ahead of him and has a better nhl career.

are you sure you are watching Bertram because he is not weak on the ice, he can hold his own out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad