Brule and Kessel

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
I've been really impressed with Brule's moves and speed since he came back from injury. Does Kessel have the same potential as Brule? Because if he does then in the new NHL maybe he is worth the 1st pick overall??

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Both may have trouble adjusting.

Brule plays wreckless, it will kill him injury wise at first anyway.

Kessel uses the same damn move so he will need time.

I dont think either will step right in and be big time players. Both will be good players in the long run if they can adjust their games.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
LaLaLaprise said:

I dont think either will step right in and be big time players. Both will be good players in the long run if they can adjust their games.

Another person who never sees Kessel play.

Ogopogo*

Brule is dirty and will get hurt because of it.

On a related note, after two games of the Memorial Cup, the Vancouver Giants have nothing but squashed Giblets.

Transported Upstater

Regarding Brule: If only he were bigger....

Brule is plenty talented enough to get by on skill alone, but that is not his game. He plays, as LaLa said, with reckless abandon. And at his size, it is very possible that he becomes a chronically injured player.

If Brule was 6'2'', 210 lbs, IMO he'd be EASILY the 2nd best player in the 2005 draft. (Including Jack Johnson.) Brule is a dominant player in his own age group, and was showing solid play at the NHL level before his injuries. If he had the size (and if he was not injured), he never would have been sent down to Vancouver in the first place.

He'll be in Columbus next year, and as long as he can continue to put some meat on those bones, he has the potential to be another Theo Fleury type, and coming from me (a big fan of Theo when he was with the Flames), that's a compliment.

Brule is a dynamite player, but he's also a wild card in that injuries may very well become a factor. Disregarding size, however, he has ZERO risk IMO. He's my favorite Columbus prospect, easily.

Regarding Kessel:

I'm not going to get into this so much, because I am sick and tired of Kessel threads.

But one thing to mention is that Phil Kessel became more of a team-oriented player as the year went on.

I actually prefer his play at the University of Minnesota to his international play. Why? I think PK shows a more well-rounded image in NCAA play, likely because UMinn MAKES him play that way for his own good. Internationally, he can be predictable IMO, which is what LaLa was referring to.

Kessel is rawer than Brule by a LONG SHOT. Kessel would be making a horrible decision if he left college this year. He still can learn plenty at Minnesota, and he is better suited learning it there than at the AHL or NHL level.

I may be being a little patient here, but I'd give Kessel one more year in Minnesota, and one year in the AHL before bringing him up. Just my opinion. I'd like to see how he adjusts to the pro game at the AHL level before giving him NHL minutes.

Transported Upstater

Ogopogo said:

On a related note, after two games of the Memorial Cup, the Vancouver Giants have nothing but squashed Giblets.

Forgive me for being an *******, but why do you dump on anything and everything Vancouver related?

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
LaLaLaprise said:

Brule Sure Can...

X0ssbar

Ogopogo said:

Dirty? Yeah right dude..MacLean has been quoted as saying that Brule showers after every single game...but maybe you know something we don't :dunno:

Big Daddy

Dec 16, 2005
Ogopogo said:

Except a WHL Championship, which is more than any team from Alberta!! ;)

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
MN_Gopher said:
Another person who never sees Kessel play.

No one said he wasnt talented. He has an amazing skill set. Everytime ive watched him play he uses that dumb inside out 1 on 1 move. I said..if he becomes more well rounded and adjusts he will be a big time player.

I know there are a lot of Kessel doubters on here and i know you are a big fan of his but im not saying anything that hasnt already been brought up a zillion times on here.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I think the question about Brule really is whether he is the next Daymond Langkow, the next Mike Peca, or the next Brian Trottier?

Either way, it's a good score for Columbus, but obviously a different result if it's a Trottier type versus a Langkow. And until he actually faces NHL for a prolonged period, we're all just guessing.

My guess is he will fall some where between ala Peca with a good assortment of injuries alongside some solid playoffs (should the Jackets provide him the support to get there), but that's just my guess.

shelley1142

Fire Howson!
Mar 18, 2006
Sarasota, Fl
LaLaLaprise said:

When Brule was in Columbus at the beginning of the season he was a big time player and he only played a few games. Next year we're expecting him to center our Rick NASH line so he is getting a great chance to be a big timer playing with Nash and Vyborny.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
LaLaLaprise said:
No one said he wasnt talented. He has an amazing skill set. Everytime ive watched him play he uses that dumb inside out 1 on 1 move. I said..if he becomes more well rounded and adjusts he will be a big time player.

I know there are a lot of Kessel doubters on here and i know you are a big fan of his but im not saying anything that hasnt already been brought up a zillion times on here.

So I'm guessing the only times you have watched him play would be the WJCs. :biglaugh:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
LaLaLaprise said:
Nope...but assuming is fun.

If you've seen him more than a few international tourneys you'd know he doesn't just "use 1 move" all the time.

Please. I respect your opinions greatly on QMJHL prospects, but it's obvious you don't have a clue right now.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Its tough to tell how a guy will do doing by NCAA vs CHL. Brule may have more grit playing against guys his own age. And where the league calls for it. The NCAA is more based on skill and speed when on the big rinks. And much older. Small guys like Gionta, St Louis, Paul Martin for a defencemen and Drury to name a few. Seemed to pick up the pace of the NHL. This does not mean Kessel will devolp or has that grit. But i am not going to sell him short because he does not show it. Kessel certinly is not affraid to go in front of the net. Scores goals in close and redirects shots. Got knocked down and got up and kept on going. As listed Kessel has him by 2 inches and 15 pounds too.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Ogopogo said:

Brule is not dirty. If you want to talk dirty, how about Dwayne Roloson?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Jon Prescription said:
If you've seen him more than a few international tourneys you'd know he doesn't just "use 1 move" all the time.

Please. I respect your opinions greatly on QMJHL prospects, but it's obvious you don't have a clue right now.

I didnt say he ALWAYS uses the same move...but he has tried it a lot, not all the time. He is a shooter, he is a good skater and i feel he will be a good NHL player. I hate how whenever someone has anything remotley bad to say about Kessel people jump all over the poster.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Not jumping just correcting. he did that 1:1 move maybe x2 in the last few months. And those times it was worth a try. Hey i agree with most everyone in that he needs to improve in some areas of his game. Knowing when to try a move and when to use his teamates is not one of those areas anymore.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I have to admit Brule really exploded in the CHL playoffs and Memorial Cup. He does have more star potential than I gave him credit for. If this question had been posed prior to those playoffs I would have said it was a silly question and unfair Kessel bashing. Whether Kessel will be better as most predicted at the beginning of the season remains to be seen.
When you look at the top drafted college players in the past like Simpson and Murphy they were among the most dominant players in their league while Kessel has not been quite at that level he still had a huge year. I am not sold that he can step into the NHL and star his first year but I don't think based on a 24 game run you can say that Brule has put himself solidly ahead either. Compare
Kessel's draft year performance to Joe Niewendyk or Paul Kariya. Compare him to all the other NCAA freshmen. Even if he is still a year away from starting in the NHL he still has all the tools people have been talking about for years and Brule hasn't shown anything that his proponents didn't think he had in him, he has just made a few more believers.
If both players were available right now I would still take Kessel first.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Both are excellent young players who will be fun to watch in the NHL for quite a few years. I have nothing bad to say at all about either.

That said, if I had to chose I'd take Kessel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad