Brule and Cogliano light it up on Day one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
HabLover said:
Now, Now girls.....like I said, it wouldn't have mattered either way!

Yes, a regional Canadian team did win last year's under 17 challenge Hablover but anything can happen when two equally talented teams play. In my opinion, the top 87 born players from the U.S. are as everybit as good as their Canadian counterparts with the exception of Crosby.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
VOB said:
Yes, a regional Canadian team did win last year's under 17 challenge Hablover but anything can happen when two equally talented teams play. In my opinion, the top 87 born players from the U.S. are as everybit as good as their Canadian counterparts with the exception of Crosby.

I would have to disagree with you there. Canada's 87's are nearly untouchable, similar to Canada's 85's, although at this stage the 87's could be more talented!

Starting with Crosby, probably the best 19 yr old and under player in the world, and he's only 17, and continuing on down thru Brule, Cogliano, Bertram, Latendresse, etc.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
VOB said:

:lol: please don't make me laugh! The US while they do have a pretty good team can't touch Canada in this age group(no one can). As mentioned earlier Canada was without 3 of it's top players and so too was the US and what happened, they got smoked.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
VOB said:
Your exact quote was that the U.S. did not send "ANY" of its top players, which is false. Some of these players on this select team will represent the U.S. in the World Junior Championships and be considered as some of the country's best.

Exactly. AND Sweden lacked their three best players. And first line center didn´t play either in semifinals nor bronzemedal-game, so didnt arguably one of the best d-men on the team. So Sweden lacked 5 of their best players and still beat USA 3-0...

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
While there was definitley some talent on this US team it just isn't a reflection of the best we had to offer (they were also suffering from food poisoning). I can think of at least a dozen players off the top of my head who would have made this team had the whole talent pool been available. This isn't to say that I think the best team we could have fielded would have beaten Canada. I actually doubt it but at the same time I don't agree with any poster who says it wouldn't be possible.

I've followed the Swedish contingent on these boards over the past few years through their dissapointments so I understand the reactions I've seen from them. Congratulations on the win. I'm already looking forward to the rematch. ;)

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
cagney said:
While there was definitley some talent on this US team it just isn't a reflection of the best we had to offer (they were also suffering from food poisoning). I can think of at least a dozen players off the top of my head who would have made this team had the whole talent pool been available. This isn't to say that I think the best team we could have fielded would have beaten Canada. I actually doubt it but at the same time I don't agree with any poster who says it wouldn't be possible.

I've followed the Swedish contingent on these boards over the past few years through their dissapointments so I understand the reactions I've seen from them. Congratulations on the win. I'm already looking forward to the rematch. ;)

Can you list those 12 players please????....and make it quick, no searching!

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
HabLover said:
Can you list those 12 players please????....and make it quick, no searching!

Kessel, Johnson, Skille, Stoa, J. Lawrence, Frazee, B. Ryan, Spade, Andricopoulos, J. Ryan, Jones, Mitera... etc.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
cagney said:
Kessel, Johnson, Skille, Stoa, J. Lawrence, Frazee, B. Ryan, Spade, Andricopoulos, J. Ryan, Jones, Mitera... etc.

Gerbe, Foligno, Blase...

VOB said:
Your exact quote was that the U.S. did not send "ANY" of its top players, which is false. Some of these players on this select team will represent the U.S. in the World Junior Championships and be considered as some of the country's best.

Poor wording on my part, but I consider the above mentioned players to be the U.S's top '87s, and would take them all over pretty much every single player on the U18 roster.

That's a pretty significant amount of players.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Postman said:
Gerbe, Foligno, Blase...

Gerbe and Foligno are two obvious ones I forgot.

Postman said:
Poor wording on my part, but I consider the above mentioned players to be the U.S's top '87s, and would take them all over pretty much every single player on the U18 roster.

That's a pretty significant amount of players.

The only area I think could come into question is the defense. I think Brian Lee would probably have a very good shot to stick. Chorney and Kunes are also supposed to be pretty good but they might get lost in a numbers game.

The forwards would need a lot of help as it's pretty clear the team generated no significant offense. Guys like Kessel, Ryan, Skille, and Gerbe would certainly help with that.

While Frazee doesn't get the hype he used to he's still the best US goalie in the age group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad