Proposal: Bruins Trade Proposals/Rumours '17 - '18 (post 'em here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Belesky Spooner and our 1st for Stall.

That’s a potential top-10 pick. Sweeney would have to be certain Staal would put this team over the top for a deep playoff run if he’s giving up a 1st. If it fails and he ends this season out of the playoffs and minus a top-10 pick, that could spell the end of his GM career pretty early.

I’d easily pass if the price for Staal includes a 1st and I’d hold Beleskey if the price to dump him is a 1st.

If I’m Sweeney, I don’t move that 1st unless an impact player is coming back IE OEL. IMO that 1st is off limits until this team climbs closer to a playoff spot.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I think at the trade deadline there is a chance someone may take a chance on Spooner, Beleskey or Backes, if we can dump those guys without giving up assets I would do it, even if we just get back a late pick or AHL players. One thing I would do, not sure Dallas would , but once Backes is back see if we could deal him straight up for Spezza, yes it adds $1.5M to our cap this year and next, but saves us cap space in the long run since Backes has 3 more years after this year. If the deal could be made, then you could try to trade Krejci to fill another need.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
We have a greater chance picking top 5 overall than we do making the playoffs right now.
I don't feel finishing 17th-26th benefits us more either.
I start unloading some guys before/at the deadline, if this continues.

Reactions: Midship and Strafer

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Why do we want a 33 year old Staal and why do ppl still put Bjork on the top line. Kid is going be good but Pasta clearly belongs in the limelight with Bergy. Let the kid play weaker opponents and develop properly down a few lines.

Players will return soon from injury, Krech is a maybe tonight. No deals yet so why bother now, weak bargaining position, smart non move by Sweeney. I think he wants to see how the team is healthy, before pulling the cord on anyone.

To me the top line looks solid, Bergy, Pasta and Marchand. Krech will anchor the 2nd, hopefully Cehlarik and either Bjork or Heinen grab it. The top four defense is set for the year - Mac and Chara, Krug and Carlo, Miller and whoever grabs the other spot. See how the team shapes up and if they need to sell, go ahead. This is not a contending team, we are not one player away from anything, heck the Habs are ahead of us now.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I think at the trade deadline there is a chance someone may take a chance on Spooner, Beleskey or Backes, if we can dump those guys without giving up assets I would do it, even if we just get back a late pick or AHL players. One thing I would do, not sure Dallas would , but once Backes is back see if we could deal him straight up for Spezza, yes it adds $1.5M to our cap this year and next, but saves us cap space in the long run since Backes has 3 more years after this year. If the deal could be made, then you could try to trade Krejci to fill another need.
You seem to disregard Backes' NMC which he signed a year and a half ago. I read that he's quite happy in Boston.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
You seem to disregard Backes' NMC which he signed a year and a half ago. I read that he's quite happy in Boston.

The NMC clause does move to a limited NTC after next season, so I do think that you could get him to waive now for the right situation. I can imagine that if you know the team doesn't want you, being having to have full say now vs partial say in 18 months would make you willing to listen.

That being said, I think the team wants to have Backes around as a vet presence surrounded by kids on the third line once they are healthy.

Hockey64

Nov 6, 2014
Western Mass
My plan, with four different scenarios for the Bruins strategy as they log more games and get closer to March trade deadline:

1) Option 1- Serious contenders based on hot streak or place in standings. To be clear, I think this is the least likely scenario of all 4. In this event, they keep all UFA and “buy” at deadline using a variety of attractive pics/prospects (not “b” level assets).
2) Option 2- Bruins are in bottom 8 of playoff teams but not necessarily viewed as contenders. I still see them “buying” and most likely holding on to their UFA. IF they do buy, it will be letting only “b” level assets go.
3) Option 3- on outside of bubble but not too far off. This may be considered a major accomplishment considering injuries but here the team starts thinking of “selling”. All UFA’s should be considered expendable, even Chara. Would consider him for the Fall, but recover some assets. Would also look to exchange one veteran (not named Bergeron) that has some value to being a more wholesale change to core but there remains a strong nucleus to challenge in Fall with the proper adds/subtractions. And if enough payroll is out, I really like the Sarge’s idea of a top UFA such as Tavares.
4) Option 4- lottery level. The core of the team is getting older and it is time to do a more wholesale change. Includes all UFA such as Chara and multiple 30 year old+ veterans that have demonstrated that injuries may be more likely in the future. Again, with the proper adds/subtractions this could still be considered a one year rebuild with a great stable of youngsters including a lottery pic.

This obviously doesn’t take into consideration market values for players (buying or selling) and is most likely too much pie in the sky thinking. Having said that, if we go through the pains of November-February to the point where we are a lottery team it would be my hope that we don’t open 2018 with the same formula and core group going forward.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
We have a greater chance picking top 5 overall than we do making the playoffs right now.
I don't feel finishing 17th-26th benefits us more either.
I start unloading some guys before/at the deadline, if this continues.
What's unloadable though? What can we get for guys like Nash and Schaller, 4th rounders at best?

Bergy/Marchand/Pasta are untouchable. Chara has an NMC that I don't see him waiving at 40.

Krejci and Rask are the implied pieces to sell, but neither one's value could be lower right now and because of the money on their contracts we're not going to get as much back as we'd like. And that's if you talk them into waiving NTCs.

I just feel like we're stuck because Chiarelli screwed up our cap for years to come.

Last edited:

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
What's unloadable though? What can we get for guys like Nash and Schaller, 4th rounders at best?

Bergy/Marchand/Pasta are untouchable. Chats has an NMC that I don't see him waiving at 40.

Krejci and Rask are the implied pieces to sell, but neither one's value could be lower right now and because of the money on their contracts we're not going to get as much back as we'd like. And that's if you talk them into waiving NTCs.

I just feel like we're stuck because Chiarelli screwed up our cap for years to come.

I could see Chara waiving for a few months on a different team and a chance at a Cup. Simply bring him back in the offseason.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Yeah..that’s a tough sell.

One would think that there could be a situation that would appeal to him.

I know that it would be tough, but would he want to play where he’s not wanted and how much would he be motivated to go to a team with a legit chance to win?

Honestly have no idea about the cap situations of most teams, but looking at potential contenders, Anaheim, Philly, St. Louis, Washington, NYR, are teams that may be possibilities.

If we retained, we'd likely get best value. But that's a tough pill to swallow, it would admit we are going into a rebuild, since the retool produced subpar results. Doesn't help Krejci statistically didn't have a 7.25 dollar year last year. And was hurt in the playoffs and now.

Organizationally, the team is in a weird place right now. By the time the young kids are ready to jump in, our top players aren't top players. It's the years of bad drafting and trading that hurt this team the most.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008

Bergy/Marchand/Pasta are untouchable. Chara has an NMC that I don't see him waiving at 40.

In agreement with you. Moving them also admits we are straight up rebuilding. And the management likely won't admit that.

Reactions: Estlin

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
In agreement with you. Moving them also admits we are straight up rebuilding. And the management likely won't admit that.

Yeah right or wrong there's no way they're going to sell Hamilton and Lucic for futures, sign Backes and Beleskey in short order, then go for an even more drastic rebuild shortly after that. That's admitting a major failure. It might be the best move, but I agree it will never happen.

Reactions: Estlin

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I think they could do a total rebuild, I think our new Hall of Fame owner would be totally on board with a lower payroll based on tickets sold this year, would be a hit on concessions but trimming Krecji and Rask 14m off should make Monty Burns happy.

They would not be allowed to retain any money so the return wouldn't be great and my greatest fear with any rebuild is Dealer Donnie would be in charge, it could cripple this franchise for a decade to come.

While I may be on board with a rebuild I would start with management and coaching, bring in a coach who is good with young players and a GM with a real vision and experience and let them reshape the team, not Sweeney and Cassidy.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

I think if they were able to get Tavares, it wouldn't be a rebuilding "process" so to speak. I think simply by adding him and another piece or two, they'd be right back in contention for the conference next year. Remember, a lot of the problems right now are injury related. Assuming health, the top 6 with Tavares would be -- Bergeron, Tavares, Marchand, Pasta, (Bjork, Debrusk, Backes, etc.). Not a bad start, plus if they finished low enough, they could add a top level rookie forward to that mix.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I think if they were able to get Tavares, it wouldn't be a rebuilding "process" so to speak. I think simply by adding him and another piece or two, they'd be right back in contention for the conference next year. Remember, a lot of the problems right now are injury related. Assuming health, the top 6 with Tavares would be -- Bergeron, Tavares, Marchand, Pasta, (Bjork, Debrusk, Backes, etc.). Not a bad start, plus if they finished low enough, they could add a top level rookie forward to that mix.

Add a Brady Tkachuk to the top9 next year with Tavares and you are heading the right way quickly.
Going with pairs
Marchand-Bergeron
Tavares-Pastrnak
Tkachuk-Backes.

Package up some of the lower level prospects for a veteran top 9 forward and now you are looking at a quick rebuild. Rask will be tough to replace but not impossible. Options should be available.

Still don't want Sweeney anywhere near a rebuild/retool.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Add a Brady Tkachuk to the top9 next year with Tavares and you are heading the right way quickly.
Going with pairs
Marchand-Bergeron
Tavares-Pastrnak
Tkachuk-Backes.

Package up some of the lower level prospects for a veteran top 9 forward and now you are looking at a quick rebuild. Rask will be tough to replace but not impossible. Options should be available.

Still don't want Sweeney anywhere near a rebuild/retool.

Why replace Rask? He’s one of the best goalies in the league? You want a rebuild, but seem to want to contend soon as well but want to move on from a top echelon goalie and try and find something comparable? Goalie is probably the hardest position to find.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I'm basing Rask totally on the contract. You can find a guy like Talbot or (hey) Martin Jones who can give you a solid goalie for half his cap hit. Assuming they can move Beleskey with a pick, Krecji and Rask you now have 17m to make moves, that might get you Tavares if not you have a ton of flexibility to make other moves.

This isn't anything against Rask, I like him and consider him a top 10 goalie but if you are looking at a rebuild his contract is a hindrance.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I'm basing Rask totally on the contract. You can find a guy like Talbot or (hey) Martin Jones who can give you a solid goalie for half his cap hit. Assuming they can move Beleskey with a pick, Krecji and Rask you now have 17m to make moves, that might get you Tavares if not you have a ton of flexibility to make other moves.

This isn't anything against Rask, I like him and consider him a top 10 goalie but if you are looking at a rebuild his contract is a hindrance.

What other goalie options are there that are as good as Rask, but half the price?

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BruinsNetwork

Or put another way:

Can you get average NHL goaltending from your #1 for around $4M per year?

This is a debate as old as time, and unfortunately isn't going away although it should have been dead a while ago.

Just to play along with this (not your post specifically, but in general) scenario of trading Rask and magically "finding" a $4m per-year goalie who is remotely competent, is it even worth it?

Rask makes $7m per year.
Goalie X makes $4m per year.

You are still paying Goalie X roughly 60% of that allocated capspace, while only saving $3m per-year.

People constantly cite "spending that money elsewhere" like on a top-4 D or a top-6 F. Ok, well where are these players even available? At the "Impact-NHL Player Store"??

Where during the tenure of Tuukka Rask have the Bruins been restricted in signing their top-players because of his cap-hit? Seems to me as they haven't been. $7m for Rask is not the issue whatsoever, and it wouldn't be even in all of these hypothetical situations. It's not easy by any means to find a #1 starting goalie in the NHL.

On the subject of Martin Jones. Why on earth would any GM trade their starting, #1 goalie for a backup in Jones who was unproven as a starter? I'll fill you in, they wouldn't.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
What other goalie options are there that are as good as Rask, but half the price?

Rasks immediate statistically peers, just using last season as a barometer.

Not all of them are half the price I bolded those that did make half the price with comparable stats, but only one made more than him (two including Carey Price who just got a raise for this season).
And 5 of are 6 million or above.

Many of these goalies were acquired via trade or UFA. This said, I don't think Rask is going anywhere. I don't think he's the problem, but I do question if he's the answer. For the question, "what other options"?, there's many out there. I've said this many times, Rask's paygrade is what puts the eyes and fingers on him. I'd say if he was paid like some of the other guys on this list, there wouldn't be as high of expectations, but seeing as he's maybe #3 on this list in paygrade... yea, expectations are and should be high. Excuses only mean so much at the end of the season.

Last season, for goalies that played more than 41 games followed by their salary

GP: Only 1 goalie makes more than him. Only 3 make within 1 million of him in both directions
Frederik Anderson - 66 - 5M
Martin Jones - 65 - 3M
Devan Dubnyk - 65 - 4.3M

Tuukka Rask - 65 - 7M
Sergei Bobrovsky - 63 - 7.4M
Braden Holtby - 63 - 6.1M
Carey Price - 62 - 6.5M

GAA
Peter Budaj - 2.18 1M
John Gibson 2.22 - 2.3M

Carey Price - 2.23 - 6.5M
Tuukka Rask - 2.23 - 7M
Devin Dubnyk - 2.25 - 4.3M
Craig Anderson - 2.28 - 4.2M
Cam Talbot - 2.39 - 4.1M

SV%
Frederik Anderson - .918 - 5M
Andrei Vasilevski - .917 - 1.4M
Peter Budaj - .915 - 1M

Tuukka Rask - .915 - 7M
Jake Allen - .915 - 2.3M
Roberto Luongo - .915 - 6.7M
Mike Condon - .915 - .9M

Wins
Braden Holtby - 42 - 6.1M
Sergei Bobrovsky - 41 - 7.4M
Devan Dubnyk - 40 - 4.3M
Tuukka Rask - 37 - 7M
Carey Price - 37 - 6.5M
Martin Jones - 35 - 3M
Frederik Anderson - 33 - 5M

Time
Devan Dubnyk - 3758 - 4.3M
Carey Price - 3708 - 6.5M
Serei Bobrovsky - 3707 7.4M
Tuukka Rask - 3680 7M
Braden Holtby - 3680 - 6.1M
Cam Ward - 3618 - 3.3M
Corey Schneider - 3473 - 6M

Last edited:

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
This is a debate as old as time, and unfortunately isn't going away although it should have been dead a while ago.

Just to play along with this (not your post specifically, but in general) scenario of trading Rask and magically "finding" a $4m per-year goalie who is remotely competent, is it even worth it?

Rask makes $7m per year.
Goalie X makes $4m per year.

You are still paying Goalie X roughly 60% of that allocated capspace, while only saving $3m per-year.

People constantly cite "spending that money elsewhere" like on a top-4 D or a top-6 F. Ok, well where are these players even available? At the "Impact-NHL Player Store"??

Where during the tenure of Tuukka Rask have the Bruins been restricted in signing their top-players because of his cap-hit? Seems to me as they haven't been. $7m for Rask is not the issue whatsoever, and it wouldn't be even in all of these hypothetical situations. It's not easy by any means to find a #1 starting goalie in the NHL.

On the subject of Martin Jones. Why on earth would any GM trade their starting, #1 goalie for a backup in Jones who was unproven as a starter? I'll fill you in, they wouldn't.

I agree, I don't think Rask is the issue. But I'm not sure if he's the answer for THIS team. We just aren't built right around him. Core is getting older, youth isn't quite there, not a lot of guys contributing in the middle. And unfortunately, Rask's not Hasek and can't make a bad team into a good team. He turns a lotto team into a fringe one.

As for trading him, (or anyone), the right deal comes along, I don't consider him untouchable. Just not had for a fair price. Would hope we are on the better side of a blockbuster for once. Because the Bruins are god awful at that.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008

I'd love to grab Tavares, I just don't see it being a realistic option. Too many (and by too many, just 1) moving pieces to make that work.

If we were some how guaranteed Tavares, we would be more or less free to move Krejci without any worries. But we aren't moving Krejci without a #2; and we can't pay to acquire a #2 if we still have Krejci.

Reactions: sarge88

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
It's first 3 - he can be moved should they want to after next season

I still think he will be a valuable player when they win the Cup in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad