Proposal: Bruins Trade Proposals/Rumours '17 - '18 (post 'em here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
That's a player that I wish the B's had tried to trade for before the expansion draft. Nashville could have got something for an asset they were going to lose regardless so I can't imagine the price would have been steep. And the B's had forward spots to spare on their protection list, protecting Beleskey and Spooner.

I could be wrong but I think that they had to protect Spooner because he was an RFA?

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I don't know what it would cost and I admit I loathe him as much as any player in the NHL, but James Neal would sure fit like a glove on this team.

Yes I know we can't afford him and I know there's plenty of reasons they wouldn't deal him at all, let alone to us, but he'd fill a huge need for us.

I would think they have to be wanting a first round pick for him.

And given the way this season has gone so far our first has to be nearly untouchable or at least worth more than James Neal.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I could be wrong but I think that they had to protect Spooner because he was an RFA?

They didn't have to. Tim Schaller was also an RFA and left unprotected.

But after the 5 obvious players (88, 46, 42, 37, 63) they chose to protect Spooner and Nash.

Not trying to get a player to protect at the expense of freakin' Riley Nash is absolutely an opportunity lost. How many teams protected a player who belongs overseas in some German or Swiss league?

Reactions: PlayMakers

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
This Nash-bashing is uncalled for. There are very few NHL teams that he couldn't be a bottom-two-line center for. Plus he is a good PK man.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
This Nash-bashing is uncalled for. There are very few NHL teams that he couldn't be a bottom-two-line center for. Plus he is a good PK man.

It's certainly called for, he's been he's typical terrible self again this year. At Center especially he's what I call a "line-killer" as he drags down the effectiveness of any line he has been placed on. Have you watched the last two games. His line has been a liability, pure and simple, and he's a big reason why.

I think he's an awful player and the sooner is he no longer a Boston Bruin the better. I try to be honest and fair in my assessments of players and that is my opinion of Nash. I completed disagree with the notion that he is a good "bottom-two-line" C. To say he's a good 3rd line C is particularly laughable. There are almost no teams where he would be the 3rd line C. I don't want him as the 4th line C either. He's a "zero-zone" player just like his predecessor Kemppainen.

Anyways I'll stop with the Nash bashing for today and in the trade proposal thread.

Reactions: pineapplestastegood

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I don't hate Nash, but I don't see him bringing a lot of value either. He's a low event player. Doesn't generate any offense, doesn't make many mistakes. Good at the dot and good on the PK. I agree with BD that he's an offense-killer. Even Marchand and Pastrnak couldn't score with him at center.

I think if you have a dynamic top9 like the Penguins or Lightning he'd be a very good fit on their 4th lines. Those teams have impact players on their 3rd lines (Kessel/Johnson), so they don't need goals or even momentum changing shifts from their 4th line. Just be a placeholder for 8-10 minutes.

I don't really know what the Bruins are trying to accomplish with their forward lines but they don't have the depth (of impact players) to waste those 4th line minutes. They need to get something from their 4th line, whether it's a little offense or a jolt of energy - and Nash brings neither.

At this point, I'd rather have Schaller as the 4c. He's not as strong at the dot, but he is just as effective on the PK, he creates a little more offense and he's be better at playing with skill if they need to move one of them up for an injury replacement.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
on a healthy team, with Nash in a 4th line/PK role, he`s in his comfort zone, like the majority of this lineup right now though, he`s being asked/forced into lineup spots he`s not suited for and fans here jumping on the guy. It`s not his fault he`s a fringe 3rd liner, solid 4th liner who`s being asked to do more and can`t

Reactions: BMC

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't hate Nash, but I don't see him bringing a lot of value either. He's a low event player. Doesn't generate any offense, doesn't make many mistakes. Good at the dot and good on the PK. I agree with BD that he's an offense-killer. Even Marchand and Pastrnak couldn't score with him at center.

I think if you have a dynamic top9 like the Penguins or Lightning he'd be a very good fit on their 4th lines. Those teams have impact players on their 3rd lines (Kessel/Johnson), so they don't need goals or even momentum changing shifts from their 4th line. Just be a placeholder for 8-10 minutes.

I don't really know what the Bruins are trying to accomplish with their forward lines but they don't have the depth (of impact players) to waste those 4th line minutes. They need to get something from their 4th line, whether it's a little offense or a jolt of energy - and Nash brings neither.

At this point, I'd rather have Schaller as the 4c. He's not as strong at the dot, but he is just as effective on the PK, he creates a little more offense and he's be better at playing with skill if they need to move one of them up for an injury replacement.

Good post, totally agree.

Like you said, good face-off guy, good on the PK. Sometimes folks believe that makes him a "good" 4th line C, but teams, especially the Bruins, need more than that, from the critical center position.

I'd much rather Schaller at 4th line C like you suggested.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Like you said, good face-off guy, good on the PK. Sometimes folks believe that makes him a "good" 4th line C, but teams, especially the Bruins, need more than that, from the critical center position.

I could see there being interest in Nash closing in on the deadline for a team looking to nab a player who is responsible and can help on the PK with the understanding that player isn`t going to chip in much offensively. Not sure he`d get a return higher than a 4th rounder, 3rd tops but I doubt he finishes the year in Boston

Reactions: PlayMakers

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I could see there being interest in Nash closing in on the deadline for a team looking to nab a player who is responsible and can help on the PK with the understanding that player isn`t going to chip in much offensively. Not sure he`d get a return higher than a 4th rounder, 3rd tops but I doubt he finishes the year in Boston

Nash is useful, and I like him more than most I guess (certainly more than @BruinDust :laugh:) but I would also not minding seeing him moved for a mid round pick. It would be fair value both ways- he could be a valuable cog on a team where he has a limited and well-defined role. He brings little offensively (he does have a decent shot but rarely uses it) but I have a hard time blaming him for how Cassidy has been forced to use him. He's been asked to do more than he can do. A 3rd rounder would be good and probably realistic.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Nash is useful, and I like him more than most I guess (certainly more than @BruinDust :laugh:) but I would also not minding seeing him moved for a mid round pick. It would be fair value both ways- he could be a valuable cog on a team where he has a limited and well-defined role. He brings little offensively (he does have a decent shot but rarely uses it) but I have a hard time blaming him for how Cassidy has been forced to use him. He's been asked to do more than he can do. A 3rd rounder would be good and probably realistic.

Who doesn't? :laugh:

Reactions: Dr Hook

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011

I agree with both of you on this.

Nash is slow. And he doesnt really have hands either.

IMO, per an eye test, Nash is one of the slowest forwards on the team next to Accari. Krejci isnt too far ahead of them but he has the skill to make up for it.

They have shown recently they're willing to use Schaller as a center to take draws and such.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
The biggest thing the Bruins need to do for now is trying to trade Beleskey and Backes once he is back without adding top assets, that won't be easy, but DS needs to focus on this, maybe include them as the salary going back as part of a package for bigger trade, but if we could somehow just swap them for a pick or prospect I would be ecstatic.

BradPark22

Nov 8, 2017
The biggest thing the Bruins need to do for now is trying to trade Beleskey and Backes once he is back without adding top assets, that won't be easy, but DS needs to focus on this, maybe include them as the salary going back as part of a package for bigger trade, but if we could somehow just swap them for a pick or prospect I would be ecstatic.

And how exactly are we going to do that without eating a big part of their salaries ? I want no dead money against the cap going forward. No team is going to take them on just to do us a favor.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
And how exactly are we going to do that without eating a big part of their salaries ? I want no dead money against the cap going forward. No team is going to take them on just to do us a favor.

That is why I said maybe include them as part of a bigger trade, for example if you were trading for a player with salary like Duchene had then you insist that as part of the prospects package going back they also take say Beleskey. Teams with cap space would consider it if they are building for the future and look at the package they are getting as good value for player X they are moving.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Beleskey should be their first order of business and it should be done quick. If you have to ship off Beleskey to a bottom "cap floor" team and send a 2nd rounder as well, you better do it.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Also you could look to see if you can swap Beleskey or Backes to another team for a player with similar or even bit higher salary, but less term. Guys like Spezza, Green etc.

Reactions: BadBruins

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Beleskey should be their first order of business and it should be done quick. If you have to ship off Beleskey to a bottom "cap floor" team and send a 2nd rounder as well, you better do it.

I would rather keep the higher picks, maybe include a prospect or two instead that may be redundant for us, Grezlcyk, Vatrano, Fitzgerald etc.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
on a healthy team, with Nash in a 4th line/PK role, he`s in his comfort zone, like the majority of this lineup right now though, he`s being asked/forced into lineup spots he`s not suited for and fans here jumping on the guy. It`s not his fault he`s a fringe 3rd liner, solid 4th liner who`s being asked to do more and can`t

You're right. That's Cassidy fault.

each time I see #20 or #39 on the PP my eyes bleed a little more. Wake up coach!

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal

That's the issue with a chunk of the whole team. But that is why I stress to make the kids play. Everyone berated Julien for not "giving the kids the chance for ice time," and giving more ice time to vets. And now I find that too many are giving Cassidy a "pass" on that. Just my two cents.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Still very early. But Bruins are possibly looking at a lotto ticket this year.

And it will be a great year to have a lottery pick in the draft. In that regard, it is probably just as well that Boston not make any deals in a desperate attempt to grab a WC playoff spot. Even when healthy, the Bruins are a bubble team, at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->