Boston Bruins Bruins Prospects Discussion V - 3 warnings posted - Stay On Subject only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Was anything he said incorrect?
If I said that Brad Marchand is the Bruins' most productive scorer right now, would I be wrong just because I live in Western Canada and can't watch them live?
Why should I "feel the need to comment" when I've never even played one NHL game?

I was just pointing out the fact that most teams go through stretches like that, even on the pro level....it just gets to a point as why is that happening and how can that streak be broken, it had nothing to do with Swayman at all....

BruinsNetwork

So I see a lot of Bruins fans down on Senyshyn and such. Production, I assume, really gets this negative outlook going. On the surface of it, the production is alright. This is his first season in the AHL. While I was looking around, here's something I noticed. Senyshyn has 21 points on the year, mostly playing in a bottom 6 role. That's a 0.40 PPG pace. However, Senyshyn has 1 point on PP/PK. One point...... So 20 of his points have come the way of ES hockey. Here's what I'm getting at. Below are Senyshyn's ES points, compared to the other forwards on the team and their ES points:

Zachary Senyshyn: 53 GP -- 8 G -- 13 A -- 20 Points = 0.38 PPG

Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson:
55 GP -- 9 G -- 12 A -- 21 Points = 0.38 PPG

Colby Cave: 60 GP -- 8 G -- 15 A -- 23 Points = 0.38 PPG

Austin Czarnik: 50 GP -- 9 G -- 22 A -- 31 Points = 0.62 PPG

Jordan Szwarz: 43 GP -- 11 G -- 16 A -- 36 Points = 0.84 PPG

Kenny Agostino: 54 GP -- 12 G -- 18 A -- 30 Points = 0.56 PPG

Ryan Fitzgerald: 51 GP -- 12 G -- 7 A -- 19 Points = 0.37 PPG

Peter Cehlarik: 32 GP -- 8 G -- 9 A -- 17 Points = 0.53 PPG

Colton Hargrove: 42 GP -- 8 G -- 8 A -- 16 Points = 0.38 PPG

So Senyshyn is producing right there with the other players on the team for ES production. PPG wise, he is producing at the same clip as JFK (who sees top 6 time regularly), Fitzgerald, and Hargrove. The players who produce more than ZS are all experienced AHL veterans and all play top 6 roles for the P-Bruins.

Now, is Senyshyn getting PP/PK time and not producing, or is he just not getting PP/PK time? Maybe @BruinsNetwork or one of our other posters who frequent P-Bruins games could chime in on that?

I did find it interesting that Senyshyn is producing at the same pace as JFK. Seeing JFK gets top 6 time with good/productive AHL players routinely, it's pretty impressive that Senyshyn is doing the same with less productive players.

I'm not trying to make excuses or anything. Would I like to see more production out of Senyshyn? Yes. The games I've gone to, he has looked good. He didn't produce any points, but I liked what I saw. Just looking at this from a different perspective.

+1 — This is good work. To answer your question, Senyshyn really doesn’t see time on the PP and that’s what I’ve been trying to convey to people.

Him & JFK have identical stats at 5v5, which is impressive for a guy skating in the bottom-six without much high-end talent around him.

JFK has been very good this season and excels across all three zones— especially defensive-zone. There’s nothing negative to be said about JFK this season, honestly.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
+1 — This is good work. To answer your question, Senyshyn really doesn’t see time on the PP and that’s what I’ve been trying to convey to people.

Him & JFK have identical stats at 5v5, which is impressive for a guy skating in the bottom-six without much high-end talent around him.

JFK has been very good this season and excels across all three zones— especially defensive-zone. There’s nothing negative to be said about JFK this season, honestly.
so what is the deal in Providence? Everyone talks about the Bruins deep prospect pool & a bunch of these guys just made the pro jump & we were all excited to see how their games would develop and it seems like they are all struggling offensively across the board. Is Bruins management happy with the coaching staff in Providence or could we see a change this summer to try & jumpstart the offense of some of these kids?

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
so what is the deal in Providence? Everyone talks about the Bruins deep prospect pool & a bunch of these guys just made the pro jump & we were all excited to see how their games would develop and it seems like they are all struggling offensively across the board. Is Bruins management happy with the coaching staff in Providence or could we see a change this summer to try & jumpstart the offense of some of these kids?

injury bug kind of slammed Providence a bit as well. Lauzon and zboril and now jfk with concussions. Bjork might be there if he wasn't injured. Cehlarik has been in and out with injuries. Seny had a short term injury at one point.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I get what you're saying but all season Providence has had balanced scoring,Providence Bruins 2017-18 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com
They are in good shape for playoff's so we'll see who does what then

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
I think its the way Providence develops players. I haven't watched any Providence this season, but it seems like whats going on with Senyshyn. They know what he can do, and they are focusing on improving what he struggles with. He'd put up better numbers with a ton of powerplay time, first line minutes and high Offensive zone starts, but is that going to help him and the bruins organization in the long run? They aren't dumb, they aren't grooming Jordan Szwarz to become an offensive dynamo by giving him top line minutes, its just smart development. What they've done in past is clearly very effective, I don't have anything backing it up, but I'd bet money Bruins have one of the most productive farm systems in the league.

Last year in Providence Debrusk had 49 in 74 games (.66 ppg) and Heinen had 44 in 64 games (.69 ppg). This year Debrusk has 39 in 63 (.62 ppg) and Heinen has 39 in 62 (.63 ppg).

That's very good for transitioning to the NHL level. Theres a small drop off in ppg, but thats pretty small. They are developing guys to be able to transition to the pro level. You see it with Grzelcyk, you see it with Debrusk, you see it with Heinen, and I bet you are gonna see it with Senyshyn.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I think its the way Providence develops players. I haven't watched any Providence this season, but it seems like whats going on with Senyshyn. They know what he can do, and they are focusing on improving what he struggles with. He'd put up better numbers with a ton of powerplay time, first line minutes and high Offensive zone starts, but is that going to help him and the bruins organization in the long run? They aren't dumb, they aren't grooming Jordan Szwarz to become an offensive dynamo by giving him top line minutes, its just smart development. What they've done in past is clearly very effective, I don't have anything backing it up, but I'd bet money Bruins have one of the most productive farm systems in the league.

Last year in Providence Debrusk had 49 in 74 games (.66 ppg) and Heinen had 44 in 64 games (.69 ppg). This year Debrusk has 39 in 63 (.62 ppg) and Heinen has 39 in 62 (.63 ppg).

That's very good for transitioning to the NHL level. Theres a small drop off in ppg, but thats pretty small. They are developing guys to be able to transition to the pro level. You see it with Grzelcyk, you see it with Debrusk, you see it with Heinen, and I bet you are gonna see it with Senyshyn.

I think this is right. If you ever get an AHL team which starts to care more about winning games and having certain guys "put up numbers" its probably time to drop the affiliation :D This is a developmental league which has room for some veterans but exists to turn young players into NHLers. For that, you don't need shiny numbers or winning percentages, you just need to players to learn what they need to learn. If they rack up points or win trophies, great, if not, so long as they come up to the NHL and can play the game the way they need to do, all is good.

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
I think this is right. If you ever get an AHL team which starts to care more about winning games and having certain guys "put up numbers" its probably time to drop the affiliation :D This is a developmental league which has room for some veterans but exists to turn young players into NHLers. For that, you don't need shiny numbers or winning percentages, you just need to players to learn what they need to learn. If they rack up points or win trophies, great, if not, so long as they come up to the NHL and can play the game the way they need to do, all is good.
This concept is lost on too many people (not passive-aggressively talking about anyone here).

The AHL should be about transitioning to the pro style while a player works on individual aspects of their own game.

Any AHL GM can go out and sign the best AHL players - the true measurement of success of an AHL club should not necessarily be in number of Calder Cups, but instead be the talent they are able to develop and provide to the parent NHL club.

Generally speaking, the biggest issue an NHL organization can face beyond an NHL GMs own outright incompetence is between the amateur scouts and the AHL coaching: did the scouts get the kid wrong or did the player development / AHL coach screw things up? Being that the NHL is incredibly cyclical and most kids take years to develop, unfortunately this conclusion is made way too late before the NHL GM is canned.

Last edited:

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Donato has been a force this season, scoring 6 points in 5 Olympic matches in Pyeongchang, South Korea while in the midst of his junior season at Harvard. Donning Crimson, Donato’s stat line reads 41 points in 28 games this season alo you and 102 points in 96 games over his three years at the Ivy League school.

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
This concept is lost on too many people (not passive-aggressively talking about anyone here).

The AHL should be about transitioning to the pro style while a player works on individual aspects of their own game.

Any AHL GM can go out and sign the best AHL players - the true measurement of success of an AHL club should not necessarily be in number of Calder Cups, but instead be the talent they are able to develop and provide to the parent NHL club.

Generally speaking, the biggest issue an NHL organization can face beyond an NHL GMs own outright incompetence is between the amateur scouts and the AHL coaching: did the scouts get the kid wrong or did the player development / AHL coach screw things up? Being that the NHL is incredibly cyclical and most kids take years to develop, unfortunately this conclusion is made way too late before the NHL GM is canned.
That works for Boston Bruins fans, but I wonder if it's the same for Providence Bruins fans and owner.
Unless they are owned by the NHL parent club, AHL teams are businesses, and as businesses, they need to be profitable.
Do you really think that not caring about winning games and the Calder Cup is a good business model for an AHL franchise?
What is muddying the waters here is that Providence is just enough near Boston that being a Providence's fan is pretty much also being a Boston fan.
That's not always the case.
For your model to work, AHL teams should be owned by the parent NHL club and play in a place very near the parent club, and maybe that's what is slowly happening in the AHL.
So in the end, you might be right.

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
For anyone that’s been down to Providence multiple times this year - do you have any insight into Zboril’s game this year? His stats seem to indicate he’s having a strong year but I tend to trust the eyeballs more than box scores. Is he as advertised - strong skater, crisp passer, two way that brings the nasty?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
What is it actually, that the PBs owner owns? He doesn't own the arena nor the players. Is it just the franchise that's located in Providence?

it has been that way since 1992, when the franchise left PORTLAND, one of those owners now is assisting Utica in the business end of the Comets operation.

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
IMO yes. I think he's the Generals' MVP, ahead of Studnicka.
That's high praise considering you seem quite fond of Studnicka, great to hear!

Hopefully he'll continue developing. He's got one more year in the CHL, correct?

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Another position where the future looks bright for our guys. Keyser and Swayman could very well compete for the backup G in a couple of seasons and one could eventually succeed Tuukka.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad