Boston Bruins Bruins Prospects Discussion IV - Mod warning 565

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I am sure I just caught Heinen right but the guy nabbed first or second star the final 4 times I saw him in Providence. It got to the point I thought he should put me on the payroll.

Last edited by a moderator:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
From DoubleAAAA (previous thread):

Admittedly I was only able to catch a few of the PBs playoff games, and he seemed to produce in the ones I didn't watch, but what I did see he definitely didn't stand out. DeBrusk on the other hand made a strong impression. Obviously a limited sample but if I had to pick a horse it would be him. Hopefully both turn out to be studs

In the NCAA, Heinen was a guy that "stood out". When he moved on to the Pros, I don't think he has been as noticeable, probably because he plays a very cerebral game. He's not the fastest skater, nor does he have the hardest shot, but he's very smart, his positioning and passing are excellent, and he plays in all three zones.

I like DeBrusk, and agree that he probably "stands out" more, but on the other hand, a point per game in the playoffs (50/50 goals and assists) by a player, tends to get my attention.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
From Marcobruin (previous thread):

Just came to me another guy I felt from the start would be a good scoring second liner was carl soderberg... he is still an nhler
But did not become the player
I thought he would far from it..in those regards I'd say he's been
A flop

You do realize that up until last year in COL, where everyone not name Mackinnon was abysmal, Soderberg the flop averaged 48 pts per season.

If Heinen turns out to be that kind of flop, I will be good with it.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
In the NCAA, Heinen was a guy that "stood out". When he moved on to the Pros, I don't think he has been as noticeable, probably because he plays a very cerebral game. He's not the fastest skater, nor does he have the hardest shot, but he's very smart, his positioning and passing are excellent, and he plays in all three zones.

I like DeBrusk, and agree that he probably "stands out" more, but on the other hand, a point per game in the playoffs (50/50 goals and assists) by a player, tends to get my attention.

That's definitely fair, hopefully he carries that momentum forward. I'm hoping I just haven't caught his best games (the opposite of DKH apparently). I didn't see any of him with Denver so would certainly defer to you there.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Thread on HF rating the draft

http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2017-nhl-draft/2017-nhl-draft-report-cards/

not sure why the Bruins only got a B- considering all things but the author overall was pretty good with everyone else.

The author criticizes Sweeney for drafting another D,

Couple things on this

1. he was a big fan of the player having him rated 17 overall and saying he flew under the radar until the U-18 games

2. Sweeney objective aka 'the plan' is stockpiling defenseman and he went for a LHD with plus skating and puck retrieval specifically targeting that skill set and player

The kid can flat out skate and distribute the puck, but you have to wonder if he’ll ever be given the chance to flourish when you consider how crazy deep Boston’s blueline depth is.

Last edited:

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
From Marcobruin (previous thread):

Just came to me another guy I felt from the start would be a good scoring second liner was carl soderberg... he is still an nhler
But did not become the player
I thought he would far from it..in those regards I'd say he's been
A flop

You do realize that up until last year in COL, where everyone not name Mackinnon was abysmal, Soderberg the flop averaged 48 pts per season.

If Heinen turns out to be that kind of flop, I will be good with it.

Then I guess i got him right from the start...but still good players can still ...but still good players can still produce on bad teams

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
He has had decent production except for last yr but I felt from the start he'd score about double what he's been scoring .Thats why I said in those regards he's flopped.Now can we blame it on the fact he's playing in Col..i really can't be sure there

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Where do you guys see Gabrielle playing in the lineup next year? In Providence obviously.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
He has had decent production except for last yr but I felt from the start he'd score about double what he's been scoring .Thats why I said in those regards he's flopped.Now can we blame it on the fact he's playing in Col..i really can't be sure there

Double?

You thought Soderberg would be averaging 96 pts per season?

I could say (arguably) that I was Soderberg's biggest proponent on this board and I never thought in my wildest dreams that he would be a 100 point a season player :help:

Top 6, 50+ point player was about my highest expectation for him.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Where do you guys see Gabrielle playing in the lineup next year? In Providence obviously.

I think PRO is most likely, but there is always a chance (very slim) he could light it up in Camp and make the NHL club. The nice thing is that Gabrielle appears to be one of those guys that is tough/gritty enough to break into the league in a 4th line role and move up as he matures.

I will be keeping a close eye on him tomorrow as I rarely got to see him play in the Dub because of geographic location. He's got a lot of competition at LW in the system, so all of these kids will need to bring their A game (good thing).

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I think PRO is most likely, but there is always a chance (very slim) he could light it up in Camp and make the NHL club. The nice thing is that Gabrielle appears to be one of those guys that is tough/gritty enough to break into the league in a 4th line role and move up as he matures.

I will be keeping a close eye on him tomorrow as I rarely got to see him play in the Dub because of geographic location. He's got a lot of competition at LW in the system, so all of these kids will need to bring their A game (good thing).

Yeah I'm a huge Gabrielle fan so I definitely know his game could very well translate faster than expected. He really polished his defensive game last season and of course has a really good skill set to go along with that.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
this certainly seems like the year Sweeney has decided to "cash in" on the abundance of young talent in the system by making limited free agent acquisitions and dropping road blocks in hayes morrow liles and Moore. The odds are good (to me anyway) that out of agostino, debrusk, Bjork, heinen, senyshyn, cehlarik, Gabrielle etch someone or ones will emerge as nhl contributors at wing while o gara, grzcelyk lauzon and Zboril all (to me) have a shot at contributing from the back end. (All Ls d men, no LHD signed this offseason *hmm*).

I'm excited to see how the youth performs this year and anticipate quite a a bit of bussing from PRO to BOS early in the year as they see on whos ready and who still needs to marinate down in the ahl.

One of the more exciting years prospect wise to me in some time. I count no one out and it's rare for me to not really be radically down on anyone. They've all shown flashes to me as potential NHL players. I cater normally to the older more experienced pros so I'd wager on agostino, heinen, cehlarik, Bjork as the top candidates to stick in the NHL. I'd give senyshyn Gabrielle and debrusk Time in PRO, but any could leapfrog the afforementioned and I wouldn't be surprised (except maybe senyshyn)

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
The thing about having so many promising prospects, sure, you can say about any one individually, "well, he may be something good, or maybe he won't" etc., but at some point the pure and stupid odds will be in the B's favour.

Is it perhaps fair to say that as sure as not all of these kids will become effective Top 6 NHL players, not all of them WON'T? :)

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
completely random question, but I'm just curious. Are Bruins fans upset about the 2015 draft? Or were you upset at the time for the three 1st rd picks you made that can be viewed as questionable (especially at the time). From an outsider pov, it sounds like you needed D and C's but took 2 wingers who were reaches.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
completely random question, but I'm just curious. Are Bruins fans upset about the 2015 draft? Or were you upset at the time for the three 1st rd picks you made that can be viewed as questionable (especially at the time). From an outsider pov, it sounds like you needed D and C's but took 2 wingers who were reaches.

Well the Bruins also desperately needed scoring from wings.

The Bruins did draft 3 defenseman. in the top 50 or so that year. One is already thriving in the NHL. The other 2 will compete for jobs in September, but are probably at least a year off. Then we got at least one stud the next year, and potentially a stud this year.

Some fans were, and remain upset. The 2 wingers taken will challenge for jobs this year. One had a very solid first year as a pro, and is very close if not ready for the job. The other probably will need a year in the minors, but has grown and developed very nicely.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Well the Bruins also desperately needed scoring from wings.

The Bruins did draft 3 defenseman. in the top 50 or so that year. One is already thriving in the NHL. The other 2 will compete for jobs in September, but are probably at least a year off. Then we got at least one stud the next year, and potentially a stud this year.

Some fans were, and remain upset. The 2 wingers taken will challenge for jobs this year. One had a very solid first year as a pro, and is very close if not ready for the job. The other probably will need a year in the minors, but has grown and developed very nicely.

interesting. so carlo and macavoy are good no doubt. I just was curious on zboril and the debrusk/senyshyn picks when there was barzal/konecny/chabot/connor/white/ek/boeser on the board. sounds like they could have been worse picks.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
interesting. so carlo and macavoy are good no doubt. I just was curious on zboril and the debrusk/senyshyn picks when there was barzal/konecny/chabot/connor/white/ek/boeser on the board. sounds like they could have been worse picks.

There is no doubt some people had their favorites who the Bruins did not draft. Some people still long for their favorites.

Only time will tell whether the Bruins made the right choices. All of these guys have flaws and strengths.

PacificNWBruin

Apr 23, 2015
Netherlands

I originally was livid with the Debrusk/Senyshyn picks. But our later picks in the same draft I thought were really good. Carlo, Lauzon, JFK, Gabrielle , etc. I cooled off over night and looked more into those two picks and got over it. I like what both the kids bring. The kids you listed I was only high on was Konecny/Connor. Konecny was the only one to break into the league and played 70 games and produced 28pts. The rest are on the same level of Debrusk and Senyshyn looking to compete for an NHL spot. So only time will tell which picks end up being better.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014

Interesting question. I think only time will tell.

My personal opinion, I would've much rather traded two or maybe even all 3 first rounders for Hanifan. I don't think even know that anyone thinks Zboril can ever be the player that he is/projected to be. I would happily give up DeBrusk or Senshyn and maybe even both for Hanifan.

Obviously the later round picks have all been home runs. Can't ask for anything more than that.

With Carlo playing the way he has, I do think that if even one of the remaining guys hit, you could call it a good draft. If 3 or more hit, probably an excellent draft.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Interesting question. I think only time will tell.

My personal opinion, I would've much rather traded two or maybe even all 3 first rounders for Hanifan. I don't think even know that anyone thinks Zboril can ever be the player that he is/projected to be. I would happily give up DeBrusk or Senshyn and maybe even both for Hanifan.

The funny thing is the are now questions on Hanifin. He had an up and down season, and by most accounts was overmatched in the World Championships this year.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I think that we should be patient with our three first rounders. DeBrusk should be able to make the team this year. Zboril will be the darkhorse this year. His skating is at an NHL level already. ZS, probably needs time in the AHL. To say that we should have or would trade all three for Hanifin is crazy. You cannot make that decision for at least 2 years. Then we can circle back.

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland
this certainly seems like the year Sweeney has decided to "cash in" on the abundance of young talent in the system by making limited free agent acquisitions and dropping road blocks in hayes morrow liles and Moore. The odds are good (to me anyway) that out of agostino, debrusk, Bjork, heinen, senyshyn, cehlarik, Gabrielle etch someone or ones will emerge as nhl contributors at wing while o gara, grzcelyk lauzon and Zboril all (to me) have a shot at contributing from the back end. (All Ls d men, no LHD signed this offseason *hmm*).

I'm excited to see how the youth performs this year and anticipate quite a a bit of bussing from PRO to BOS early in the year as they see on whos ready and who still needs to marinate down in the ahl.

One of the more exciting years prospect wise to me in some time. I count no one out and it's rare for me to not really be radically down on anyone. They've all shown flashes to me as potential NHL players. I cater normally to the older more experienced pros so I'd wager on agostino, heinen, cehlarik, Bjork as the top candidates to stick in the NHL. I'd give senyshyn Gabrielle and debrusk Time in PRO, but any could leapfrog the afforementioned and I wouldn't be surprised (except maybe senyshyn)

I would throw Debrusk as a "favorite" or at least more likely to make Boston than Cehlarik or Bjork based on his full year in Providence last year. His development was huge, and I think Bjork will need that too unless he really shows something special

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland

As one of the "optimistic" fans I generally hedge a wait and see attitude on draft picks and give management the benefit of the doubt that they know what they are doing.

One thing I have really liked from Sweeney's tenure has been the successful progression of the draft picks and patience with developing kids the right way.

The real proof of this was the almost total lack of whining from the fans from draft day this year. Sure there were some complaints but nothing along the same lines of what Debrusk, Senyshen and Frederic saw in past drafts.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

The B's needed D and scoring wings more than centers.

FWIW, Senyshyn was far and away the best F at Development Camp today. He's got size, good hands, and is a very powerful skater. If he continues to progress, he's going to be a handful in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->