Game Day: Bruins at Maple Leafs

Lance HornbyMore from Lance Hornby

Game Day: Bruins at Maple Leafs

BOSTON BRUINS AT TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS
Saturday, 7 p.m., Air Canada Centre
TV: Sportsnet; RADIO: FAN 590
THE BIG MATCHUP
C Patrice Bergeron vs. C William Nylander

Bergeron, one of the best in the business on the draw, has several advantages over Auston Matthews’ replacement. Bergeron is top 10 in league faceoffs won and at close to 57%, better than any regular on the Leafs. But Nylander is no newbie, supplanting Matthews on many important draws and is close to 51% himself.
FIVE KEYS TO THE GAME
MATTER OF PRIDE
The only real blip in the Leafs winning 13 of their past 16 was how awful they were in Boston on Feb. 3, a 4-1 loss. A Mitch Marner power-play goal was all they managed in 24 shots. A bounce-back game is essential, but the Bruins are well-rested for this match.
TRADES AND PLAYOFFS
It’s doubtful that respective general managers Lou Lamoriello and Don Sweeney let anything that happens in this one game change whatever approach they are taking to Monday’s trade deadline. They likely have made up their minds what their needs and assets are. But the fact these teams could clash in the first round could light fire under some individuals.
B’s MUST BE HOME WRECKERS
Toronto’s good vibe at the Air Canada Centre — one more win ties the club record of nine straight at home — can still be tampered with as the pesky Isles showed Thursday. Boston’s Brad Marchand is usually good for getting under the skin of the Leafs and by extension, the whole rink. And the Leafs still have no one like Zdeno Chara patrolling on defence.
POWER OUTAGE
Toronto’s power play has dipped below 20% after a 1-for-13 skid that included three misses against the Isles. Players such as Kasperi Kapanen and Connor Brown must make the most of their extra time on special teams, but both Leafs units are facing the league’s top penalty killers.
ONE-TO-ONE
It might not get much tighter in the third period than seeing the Leafs with their NHL-best record of 20 one-goal wins try and hang on against a like-minded team.
SPECIAL TEAMS
POWER PLAY
Toronto 19.7% (18th)
Boston 20.4% (14th)
PENALTY KILL
Toronto 83.2% (4th)
Boston 84.2% (1st)
BRUINS GAME DAY LINES
LW C RW
Brad Marchand Patrice Bergeron David Pastrnak
Jake DeBrusk David Krejci Ryan Spooner
Danton Heinen Riley Nash David Backes
Tim Schaller Sean Kuraly Noel Acciari
DEFENCE PAIRINGS
Zdeno Chara Charlie McAvoy
Torey Krug Brandon Carlo
Matt Grzelcyk/K. Miller Adam McQuaid/N. Holden
GOALIES
Tuukka Rask
Anton Khudobin
SICK BAY
LW Anders Bjork
MAPLE LEAFS GAME DAY LINES
LW C RW
Zach Hyman William Nylander Connor Brown
Patrick Marleau Nazem Kadri Mitch Marner
James van Riemsdyk Tyler Bozak Kasperi Kapanen
Leo Komarov Dominic Moore Josh Leivo
DEFENCE PAIRINGS
Jake Gardiner Nikita Zaitsev
Morgan Rielly Ron Hainsey
Travis Dermott C. Carrick/R. Polak
GOALIES
Frederik Andersen
Curtis McElhinney

Sick Bay
C Auston Matthews

Leafs juggle lines while waiting for news on Auston Matthews’ shoulder

Sophomore centre goes for MRI, will miss games against rival Bruins, Lightning.

Leafs juggle lines while waiting for news on Auston Matthews’ shoulder | Toronto Star

auston2.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x653.jpg

Auston Matthews, left, scored the tying goal late in the third period Thursday night, then left with a shoulder injury after a collision with two Islanders minutes later. (Kevin Sousa / GETTY IMAGES)

By Mark ZwolinskiSports Reporter
Fri., Feb. 23, 2018
Two things came to mind at Leafs practice Friday, knowing star centre Auston Matthews will likely miss two important games against division rivals with a shoulder injury.
First: How long will Matthews be sidelined?
Second: Will the Leafs adjust their game plan for the Feb. 26 NHL trade deadline, should the Matthews injury keep him down longer than initial projections?
“Auston hurt his shoulder, he’s getting it looked at and its day to day, so we’ll know more (Saturday),” Leafs coach Mike Babcock said. Matthews’ shoulder took a jolt in Thursday’s game when he was crunched between Islanders defenceman Adam Pelech and forward Cal Clutterbuck.
Matthews was scheduled for an MRI on Friday. Injuries to the shoulder, one of the most complicated joints in the human body, can result in long-term layoffs if the injury involves bones or soft tissue damage. Boston just lost rookie Anders Bjork for the remainder of the season after the 21-year-old underwent shoulder surgery this week to repair labrum damage. Mitch Marner, Matthews’ good friend and teammate, missed five games last February with shoulder problems.
Babcock, who looked worried after Thursday’s game, had a more calming grip on Matthews’ situation Friday.
“There’s a huge opportunity for someone to step in,” the coach said. “Auston will be out for a bit anyways, so we’ll see how (other players) step up.”
Babcock said the Leafs would not make a panic move before Monday’s trade deadline to find a replacement for Matthews.

“It’s the trade deadline, it’s not like Christmas and someone is dropping off gifts,” Babcock said. “We’ll make a deal if it helps our team, we won’t do anything foolish, that’s for sure.”
The immediate concerns for the Leafs are their next two opponents — Boston on Saturday, Tampa Bay on Monday. The Leafs could vault past the Bruins for second place in the Atlantic Division, and the Eastern Conference with a win Saturday. Boston, though, has five games in hand. Tampa Bay, the conference leader, is four points ahead of the Leafs, with two games in hand.
Babcock switched William Nylander, Matthews’ regular winger, to centre at practice Friday and moved winger Connor Brown to his line with Zach Hyman. Nylander was drafted as a centre.
“We’ll start with Willie there at centre and, if things go good, he’ll stay there (while Matthews is injured),” Babcock said.
Veteran winger Patrick Marleau, who played a handful of games at centre earlier this year, is another option.
The timing of Matthews’ absence couldn’t have come at a more pressure-packed time, with the trade deadline and the final weeks of the regular season that follow. But the Leafs believe in their depth, with forwards Matt Martin and Josh Leivo waiting in the wings and more help on the American Hockey League-leading Marlies. Their scoring leader, winger Andreas Johnsson, is tied for second in the AHL with 23 goals.
The Leafs will juggle the bodies they have for now. Kasperi Kapanen moved from the fourth line Friday to take Brown’s spot with Tyler Bozak and James van Riemsdyk. Leivo and Martin could be fill-ins on the fourth line, joining Dominic Moore and Leo Komarov.
“I haven’t decided who’s in, Matty or Josh,” Babcock said. “We’ll see what can help us the best, whoever gets in, you just have to grab it and play real well.”
Any opportunity would be a long-awaited return for Leivo, who has soldiered through almost two years of healthy scratches. He has been a healthy scratch for 23 consecutive games, with his last game being the New Year’s Eve road game in Las Vegas. Leivo took reps both 5x5 and on the power play at Friday’s practice.
“My mind set is come in every day, work as hard as I can, and be ready when they call me,” said Leivo, who had 10 points in 13 games last season but has just three in 12 games this season. “I’ve been doing the same thing every day for eight weeks now, but I have to be ready. I’m excited to get the opportunity if it comes, and a chance to help this team win.”
The Leafs have done plenty of that lately, winning all nine of their home games this month. But now they’re without Matthews for a third time. They were 6-4 when he missed games with a suspected back injury and, later, a concussion.
“Get to work and get back as fast as you can.” Babcock said, when asked what he told Matthews. “I’m not very concerned about him. He’s fine, we were joking around (in the dressing room) and he’s fine.”

Reactions: Welsh Maple Leaf

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Go Leafs Go!!!
I hope Leivo gets to play, and does well.
And beat those Bruins!!! (Hate Montreal, Boston #2, and just laugh at Ottawa).

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I bet the Nylaner line does well. Hopefully they still have their chemistry from a few years ago.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Whole team seemed to rally last time Auston was out, and this time a handful of them are on a hot streak. I could see us coming out flying and swamping the bruins early. Need the first goal.

Longtimeleaffan85

Feb 8, 2018
Leivo playing makes the deadline a little bit more interesting ...if he plays well he will raise his price or even make Jvr expendable

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I haven’t been this nervous for a Leafs game in a while.

Given the games Boston has in hand, if we hope to pass them and get home ice, a win tonight is crucial.

Heck, win tonight and passing Tampa would look more realistic as well

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Whoa, Leivo draws in over Martin?

That's not good news for Martin....

I do disagree with moving Brown off the Bozak line - that line has been doing well recently and they're starting to gel better. Kappy would have been better alongside Nylander IMO.

Oh well, good to see that Kap will get a chance in a top 9 role tonight.

Reactions: supermann_98

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

I do disagree with moving Brown off the Bozak line - that line has been doing well recently and they're starting to gel better. Kappy would have been better alongside Nylander IMO.

No it isn't for Martin, but it's the right call
They need to move Martin or it will probably become a distraction

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

I thought the same thing about moving Brown but he is more defensive minded than Kapanen and will better protect that line from having goals scored on them.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka

I don't think they've decided whether Leivo or Martin are in tonight. I would also like to see Leivo get a shot.

This is very tough assignment for Nylander given how strong the top 9 for Boston. Bab's will do everything he can to shelter Willy from Bergeron's line of course! I think Brown is the safer option with Willy given his experience and role at this point, lots of time to see how Kappy will fit into different roles as his experience grows! GLG!!

Last edited:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Has someone taken over Babcock's brain the past month and a half?

Nylander to center over Marleau, Leivo in over Martin, Komarov not getting bumped to the top line. The Babcock of December would have never done this...

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
please win. plllllleeeeaaaaaaasseeeeeeee win. please win.
please let will do v. well.
please don't matthews be hurt too seriously.
please don't let bergeron do bergerony things. (oh or marchand either).
please win. plleeeeaaaaseeee win. please win.

Reactions: Macallan18

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I don't think they've decided whether Leivo or Martin are in tonight. I would also like to see Leivo get a shot.

This is very tough assignment for Nylander given how strong the top 9 for Boston. Bab's will do everything he can to shelter Willy from Bergeron's line of course! I think Brown is the safer option with Willy given his experience and role at this point, lots of time to see how Kappy will fit into different roles as his experience grows! GLG!!

The lines have not been set, that lineup is really from yesterday's morning skate and could change by game time but it could also be the line-up Babcock will use.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This should be a good test for the Leafs in the next 2 games against likely playoff opponents but missing our best player.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Hyman and Brownie insulate Nylander better defensively as they will face either Bergeron or Krejci lines tonight head to head.

Reactions: ACC1224

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think Kappy is good enough defensively to help Nylander.. But that's just me. Brown has proven more though so I get that.

So long as Matthews is out, I wouldn't mind getting an extended look at a Nylander-Kap duo.

Reactions: Garthinater
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->