GDT: Bruins (2) at Leafs (0). You have got to Win. Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't think sticking Martin on the 4th line is trying to "beat them at their own game". The theory IMO is that Martin would take care of that part of the game so the rest of the guys can play their own game. Maybe he would hurt and frustrate some bruins along the way.
He would just stir things up that others would have to pay for.
If they had a few more Martin types I'd say yes but IMO, a quiet game is the way to beat these guys.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
He would just stir things up that others would have to pay for.
If they had a few more Martin types I'd say yes but IMO, a quiet game is the way to beat these guys.
I disagree. If Martin stirs it up and another play pays, Martin makes the player that made our player pay, pay :naughty:. Seriously though, Matthews said earlier in the year that Martin fighting or throwing big hits gets him fired up. This bruins squad won't fall into playing a quiet game ever, so no point in trying to do that. So far they've been beating and smashing and we've played quiet and it doesn't work.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Haha mirtle. There is 0 chance he is called up, less than 0 babcock has who he wants and needs really. If komarov is out long term Johnsson will play. I prefer him anyway.

Now next season, I’m very confident grundstrom makes his nhl debut at some point. Probably follow the nylander, Kapanen, Johnsson model. Up after the deadline from the ahl. But it is very possible babcock falls in love with grundstrom very early if not already. He would be a good komarov replacement

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't think sticking Martin on the 4th line is trying to "beat them at their own game". The theory IMO is that Martin would take care of that part of the game so the rest of the guys can play their own game. Maybe he would hurt and frustrate some bruins along the way.

One guy can't turn the tide by himself, I think the idea would be that if delivers a few big hits, then he inspires everyone else and they start hitting too and so on. Not saying it's the wrong way to go it is one approach. There's something to be said for taking another approach though. We'll see soon enough, I suspect Babcock is more likely to play Martin then Leivo but we'll see.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Wonder if we'll get Andersen or Andersieve tonight.

First 10 mins will be very interesting tonight. Backs up against the wall, embarrassed both games in Boston. They should come out with a fire under their ass. But... This is the Leafs, so they'll probably come out flat because reasons.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Got 'em right where we want 'em!

Obviously, the first 2 games were as disastrous as you could expect without any of the big boys getting injured. Kadri getting suspended is a big blow, but we're still pretty much healthy (except Komarov) and coming home for 2 games. As the saying goes, you're never in real trouble until you lose at home.

No need to focus on how big of a hole we're in, or having to win 4/5 games, or any of that. Focus on tonight. Get the W, defend our ice. As long as we win our home games, we're in fine position, and put them on the ropes, considering how different these teams looked after Game 2.

Reactions: Mugzy97

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Haha mirtle. There is 0 chance he is called up, less than 0 babcock has who he wants and needs really. If komarov is out long term Johnsson will play. I prefer him anyway.

Now next season, I’m very confident grundstrom makes his nhl debut at some point. Probably follow the nylander, Kapanen, Johnsson model. Up after the deadline from the ahl. But it is very possible babcock falls in love with grundstrom very early if not already. He would be a good komarov replacement

I said the same about Johnsson playing over Martin, Moore and Leivo... and yet, here we are. Grundstrom was loved by Babcock in training camp and spoke highly of him. He's been great for the Marlies in the 2 games he played and then he sat out last night... Perhaps Mirtle heard something about the Leafs and Grundstrom and is just putting 2 and 2 together.

Johnsson is all ready playing in place of Kadri, technically. Now with Komarov very likely out, they have to play one of the 3 bench warmers or with a Marlies call-up if they don't like their bench warmers.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Wow people really misconstrued this in this thread lol. Dark horse turned into 'Mirtle says Leafs may call up Grundstrom'

It's just discussion. Johnsson flipped over Leivo, Moore and Martin on the depth charts, it wouldn't be that farfetched to see this happen.

Reactions: Walshy7

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Do or die today.

Its bad enough Leafs need 4 of next 5 already, so needing to win 4 straight including 2 on the road ain't likely happening.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
It's just discussion. Johnsson flipped over Leivo, Moore and Martin on the depth charts, it wouldn't be that farfetched to see this happen.
Discussion is fine but then people are saying Mirtle is dumb without even seeing what he actually said.

Reactions: Liminality

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
Depth charts?...Flipped over...Comical...the Euro coaches depth chart i will give you...he likes soft ineffective p/o euro figure skating players.....Actually much like you and a few others do?....Problem is this style of coaching and players do not make for a contender, 2nd problem is fans won't get it until rinse and repeat occurs year after year...Tune out is also right around the corner.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I disagree. If Martin stirs it up and another play pays, Martin makes the player that made our player pay, pay :naughty:. Seriously though, Matthews said earlier in the year that Martin fighting or throwing big hits gets him fired up. This bruins squad won't fall into playing a quiet game ever, so no point in trying to do that. So far they've been beating and smashing and we've played quiet and it doesn't work.
I really don't see the effect it will have when he'll only see a few shifts a period. You need to roll line after of players finishing checks and making things difficult, this isn't the Leafs game though.
During the season I would have had Martin in the lineup most nights. If Matthews can't get fired up tonight without Martin, that is a huge problem.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Imagine if they went down 3-0 in the series...and THEN came back to win it. Wouldn't that be fun?

I can be hopeful. Let's hope it doesn't get that dramatic.

Leafs are more about being swept or giving up a 4-1 lead with about 12 minutes left in a period than making comebacks. :(

Nothing cool or goosebump-y happens to the Leafs.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
At this point I just want a good honest effort.

No more stupid penalties would be helpful too. The refs havent been great but we've had too many men and puck over glass penalties

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Imagine if they went down 3-0 in the series...and THEN came back to win it. Wouldn't that be fun?

I can be hopeful. Let's hope it doesn't get that dramatic.
As a fan, I'd rather they win tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad