Bruce Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Campino

Jul 26, 2002
Visit site
He is so inconsistant. He can be all over the ice one game and then the next he will just float out there. Hard not to notice him cuz he's 6'6 230 but he plays invisible. Sometimes he just doesn't do a thing he just floats. When he is on top of his game; no one can stop him. He is the most dominate player out there when he wants to be. He's a hard one to figure out. But he has played very well this season. In the top 6 I believe is goals scoring.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Campino said:
He is so inconsistant. He can be all over the ice one game and then the next he will just float out there. Hard not to notice him cuz he's 6'6 230 but he plays invisible. Sometimes he just doesn't do a thing he just floats. When he is on top of his game; no one can stop him. He is the most dominate player out there when he wants to be. He's a hard one to figure out. But he has played very well this season. In the top 6 I believe is goals scoring.

Has he been that inconsistent this season too? Or were you talking about his play from last season? because I did hear that. But its good to hear the potential is there. He has like 17 points last 13 games.

Prucha73

NYRangers said:
Has he been that inconsistent this season too? Or were you talking about his play from last season? because I did hear that. But its good to hear the potential is there. He has like 17 points last 13 games.

Scoring wise he has been very inconsistant this season. And he is also not that great on faceoffs. Lately he has been hot, I think a 7 game points streak.

IAMCANADIAN

Jun 10, 2004
NYRangers said:
Has anyone seen him play recently? His stats are very good from what I was hoping for and I was wondering how he looked from others opinions.

Yes Bruce has been playing well.
Yes Bruce is inconsistent.

BUT

He's now centering Monctons second line with Ryan Salvis & Adam Pineault (CBJ 2nd round 2004). He's starting to hit more...at 6'6" & 230 lbs you'd expect him to be a physical force but that's not his game. If I had to compare him to a current NHLer I'd say Handzus in Philly. In the past I've been critical of Bruce but have been impressed of late (1st star in last nights game/2goals). You need to be patient and let him grow into his body...I think from last year alone he added 10-15lbs.

Any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

:bow:

Prucha73

IAMCANADIAN said:

BUT

He's now centering Monctons second line with Ryan Salvis & Adam Pineault (CBJ 2nd round 2004). He's starting to hit more...at 6'6" & 230 lbs you'd expect him to be a physical force but that's not his game. If I had to compare him to a current NHLer I'd say Handzus in Philly. In the past I've been critical of Bruce but have been impressed of late (1st star in last nights game/2goals). You need to be patient and let him grow into his body...I think from last year alone he added 10-15lbs.

who is centering the top line? Why isn't Graham centerung the top line?

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
IAMCANADIAN said:

BUT

Is he starting to hit more than the average player thats out there?

Also whats his style? Is he a playmaking guy in a big body, or is he an Adam Graves type of player that blocks the goalie and gets the garbage goals? Haven't gotten tape of him yet so I don't know much about him. But hes an intruiging guy and I can't wait to see him in Hartford next season (assuming).

IAMCANADIAN

Jun 10, 2004
Prucha73 said:
who is centering the top line? Why isn't Graham centerung the top line?

Our (Moncton Wildcats) top line is now centered by Kevin Glode (20 year old). Steve Bernier (1st round 2003 San Jose) on the RW and Brad Marchard (16 yr old rookie) at LW. Glode & Bernier were teamates while playing "AAA" in Quebec so there's some chemistry there.

Adam Pineault (CBJ 2nd round 2004) used to center our first line with Bernier & Stephane Goulet (Edm 7th round 2003?) on the left side but our coach broke up the lines to even out the scoring. It took a few games but now all four lines are up and running again.

Things probably will change again when Martin Karsums (Bos 2nd round 2004) and Luke Pelham (FA invite to Predators camp) return from their injuries.

Hope this answers your question.

:D

IAMCANADIAN

Jun 10, 2004
NYRangers said:
Is he starting to hit more than the average player thats out there?

Also whats his style? Is he a playmaking guy in a big body, or is he an Adam Graves type of player that blocks the goalie and gets the garbage goals? Haven't gotten tape of him yet so I don't know much about him. But hes an intruiging guy and I can't wait to see him in Hartford next season (assuming).

No, I don't think he hits more than the average player out there...in fact I'd say probably a little less. However, he's starting to finish his checks more often and just using his size in general more often.

At this time I'd have to say his style is a playmaker in a big body but he can finish also. Right now he's benefiting from playing with good linemates (Salvis & Pineault) on a very strong team. He played with Salvis in "AAA" in Moncton and Pineault well come on, what else can you say.

Like I said in an earlier post, just give him time to grow into his 6'6" body & realize that he's not going to run over everyone out there...not his style.

Any other questions?

On aside note...it sure is hard helping out a Ranger fan considering I bleed ORANGE & BLACK! Can a get a "LETS GO FLYERS" chant up in here! :lol

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
I think that he has the potential to be a good second line center. He has great playmaking skills, but isn't much of a finisher. I could see him on a line with Nigel Dawes, a small guy with great finishing skills. I really don't see him cutting it as a 3rd or 4th line center, it's not his type of game.

Kubera55

Mar 15, 2004
I'm a little confused... Graham is being talked of here as a playmaker who can't finish... but his numbers this season sure seem to tell a different story.

I mean, 15 goals in 23 games and only 9 assists? Those are sniper numbers, aren't they? Well, maybe Tomas Holmstrom-crease-lurker numbers as well....

I dunno, just curious about the discrepency. If he's a playmaker, shouldn't those numbers be reversed?

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Kubera55 said:
I'm a little confused... Graham is being talked of here as a playmaker who can't finish... but his numbers this season sure seem to tell a different story.

I mean, 15 goals in 23 games and only 9 assists? Those are sniper numbers, aren't they? Well, maybe Tomas Holmstrom-crease-lurker numbers as well....

I dunno, just curious about the discrepency. If he's a playmaker, shouldn't those numbers be reversed?
I never said he is not a good finisher, because he is a very good finisher, but he is a better playmaker. He sets up teamates extremely well, and with his linemates, who have tremendous hockey sense, they pass it back to him and he uses his tremendous shot and gets a goal.

Prucha73

Kubera55 said:

I think he is both a scorer and a playmaker, lasy year in the playoffs he had 14 assists and 0 goals.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
The Moncton lines situation has gotten quite a bit frazzled due to the injuries to Martin Karsums (BOS) and overager Luke Pelham, and that is the main reason why have done this juggling, although Pineault was moved around a little bit before the injuries hit the team.

As for Graham, he is wildly inconsistent, and at no point would I say is he the most dominant player on the team (Bernier and Pineault are typically the best player out there for them). He is VERY good when he is on, yes, but with such high powered weapons like the other two (and Karsums) I don't think he is often the best player ont he ice.

Sometimes he will do something that amazes me for a guy of his size. Just pull a nice move and bury a wrister from the slot or something. Other times he just doesn't seem into it.

People say he's an awful skater, but that's not true. He's an AWKWARD skater for sure, who isn't at 6'6"? He gets to where he needs to go well enough and his movements are solid. They don't look pretty because he's so big, but his skating is adequate for now, and will improve.

Kubera55

Mar 15, 2004
Hmm, interesting observations from all, thanks.

I would ask one other thing though... he seems to be on quite a (statistical at least) tear this season. If he keeps it up, he seems likely to easily eclipse his numbers from last year, which in turn eclipsed his numbers from the year before.

I'm just curious if those who've seen him play for the last year or two think they are seeing a steady-up-the-hill level of improvement, of if this seasons hot start is just an example of him being 'on' and a slump is likely forthcoming?

Prucha73

I dunno, I saw him skate once and he looked like a very good skater to me, fast and smooth.

And he better improve on his last season's numbers, because they were not very impressive.

Prucha73

Kovy274Hart said:
Just from reading all the comments on Graham, he sound a lot like Jason Arnott. Arnott has size but never has been consistent and sometimes doesn't use it well.

Would this be accurate?

maybe, but could also be next Viktor Kozlov

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Everything I heard about Graham leading up to the draft was he was similar to a less-skilled Eric Daze. I'm not sure if that implies his physical play, but I assume it just means he can be lazy out there.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Jay Thompson said:
Everything I heard about Graham leading up to the draft was he was similar to a less-skilled Eric Daze. I'm not sure if that implies his physical play, but I assume it just means he can be lazy out there.

To me, he's a cross between Daze and Handzus. He plays a similar game to Handzus, but hits even less and I don't think he likes the grit too much (not saying he'll completely avoid traffic, but he seems to try to as much as possible) which is more where the Daze comparisons come in.

He's a big boy who is still learning the game and I hope he uses his size more. We don't need another big pansy out there getting jacked up by someone like Brian Gionta who likes to hit and is half his size.

He seems to be steadily rounding out his gam eand improving, which is a good sign to me. We'll see where his development takes him.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
he's probably one of those guys you just need to give time to see if he'll pan out...not rush him and scream cuz he's not in the NHL putting up points at the age of 20.

if it takes him awhile to grow into his body and round out his game, then no big deal...

IAMCANADIAN

Jun 10, 2004
I attended the 11/14/04 of the Moncton WildCats.

Bruce was once again named first star.

Here's his stat line:

2G (on PP),0A, even, 0 PIMs, 3 shots, 4 of 9 in faceoffs. His second goal was just a wrist shot from the blue line that I think the goalie misplayed...cheap goal...but they all count!

Bruce played a good game...he even threw a couple of hits..LOL! There's no doubt that he's having a better year "stat wise" this year but then again who wouldn't with another year under his belt and Adam Pineault on your wing!

I'm sticking with my comparision of Handzus. Graham still needs to work on his defensive play & learn how to use his size to his advantage. He won't be a wrecking crew but can lean on guys and use his reach more effectively. Just be patient & let him mature and he'll be fine.

:yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->