Rumor: Brouwer Trade?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Brouwer missed 8 games last season, how exactly is that injury plagued?

I believe MM is saying that Brouwer wasn't playing healthy after the injury and the initial 8 games missed.

I should note, that if there are any legs to this, which I'm not sold there are just yet, IF Brouwer requested a trade, by all means facilitate it as best you can.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Brouwer missed 8 games last season, how exactly is that injury plagued?
It's incredible that people use Gaudreau's broken hand as an excuse for him struggling for a while after, but Brouwer suffers the same injury and "he only missed 8 games"

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's incredible that people use Gaudreau's broken hand as an excuse for him struggling for a while after, but Brouwer suffers the same injury and "he only missed 8 games"
I don't think it's that incredible. Gaudreau came back with a precautionary glove on his hand, and was mandated to wear it for a certain time period before being able to remove it. That is concrete proof that his hand was not 100% back to where it was in the first place after he came back.

With Brouwer, his play seemed to indicate it, but there has been no evidence outside of that circumstantial evidence. I believe he was playing hurt, but it's not like it's the same level of 'evidence' as with Gaudreau.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'd give Brouwer another year before really thinking about trading him or not. We're not in cap hell. If he plays well, cool, we'll keep him. If not, it's much easier to ship out a 2 year contract than a 3 year one. With a 3 year one you're bound to give something up of value to unload it. I don't think Brouwer has played his best hockey yet. I'd say give him a chance before we completely write him off.

Reactions: Anglesmith

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
One measly unverified tweet generates three pages of discussion. We really do not like Brouwer, do we

Reactions: Anglesmith

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
So you're saying Brouwer's effectiveness stems from his hands the same way Gaudreau's does? I'll believe that when me **** turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So you're saying Brouwer's effectiveness stems from his hands the same way Gaudreau's does? I'll believe that when me **** turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet.
Look at his stats pre and post injury, that sure is one hell of a coincidence.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Look at his stats pre and post injury, that sure is one hell of a coincidence.
I did look and I saw rampant inconsistency pre and post injury.

If you're looking to stats to justify Troy "Career High 43 Point" Brouwer's value to the team, you should give your head a shake. He should have been more effective than he was and it wasn't because of a bum finger.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I did look and I saw rampant inconsistency pre and post injury.

If you're looking to stats to justify Troy "Career High 43 Point" Brouwer's value to the team, you should give your head a shake. He should have been more effective than he was and it wasn't because of a bum finger.
I didn't justify anything. All I have said all summer is to give the guy another chance, instead this thread is full of fans trying to drive him to the airport. It's a disgrace. Sadly, nothing new for this fanbase, we're starting to make Habs fans in that regard.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I didn't justify anything. All I have said all summer is to give the guy another chance, instead this thread is full of fans trying to drive him to the airport. It's a disgrace. Sadly, nothing new for this fanbase, we're starting to make Habs fans in that regard.
You compared Brouwer's decline in, let's call it... effectiveness after his injury to Gaudreau's. Brouwer can (theoretically) be an effective player with a bad finger. Johnny needs his hands, there's no comparison there. We haven't seen anything from Brouwer that warrants his cost and there are fewer and fewer reasons to believe he can turn it around and justify his salary. As far as asset management goes, if you have an opportunity to rid yourself of an expensive, unproductive asset, especially one that you're saddled with for 3 more years, you jump at that opportunity. As a fan, I'm looking for wins, not charity cases.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
You compared Brouwer's decline in, let's call it... effectiveness after his injury to Gaudreau's. Brouwer can (theoretically) be an effective player with a bad finger. Johnny needs his hands, there's no comparison there. We haven't seen anything from Brouwer that warrants his cost and there are fewer and fewer reasons to believe he can turn it around and justify his salary. As far as asset management goes, if you have an opportunity to rid yourself of an expensive, unproductive asset, especially one that you're saddled with for 3 more years, you jump at that opportunity. As a fan, I'm looking for wins, not charity cases.

Someone give the man a soapbox

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I can appreciate that this was a one-off season for Brouwer, but he needs to step up his 5 on 5 play if he isn't put on the fourth line this season. Pre-injury Brouwer had 8 even strength points in 36 games by Dec. 23 (his injury).

Bennett, playing poorly and in the coach's doghouse, notched 15 ES pts in 36. While Versteeg, out for 12 games before Dec. 23, had 9 ES pts in 24 games.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Without needing stats, I can tell you that Brouwer's "success" pre-injury was because he was playing the bumper on the power play. That "success" came at the expense of the success of our second leading scorer Sean Monahan, who was very uncomfortable in a net front screener role. In the second half of the season Brouwer played a different position on the power play, but that success went to Monahan who scored a whole bunch of goals including 4 straight playoff goals from the areas where Brouwer historically scores goals.

Brouwer was bad all year. Some people just have blinders on when they can get some numbers to tell them a player had 200+ hits and was physical.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I should have known it was too good to be true, especially with the vagueness of the tweet but I still got my hopes up.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
raw

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Every player needs their hands. Not a single NHL player can be effective without healthy hands. Suggesting otherwise shows a serious lack of knowledge of the game. The guy had the worst year of his career and it all came after the hand injury (not broken finger, broken hand, significant difference), one he returned early from because other players were out injured. Brouwer played tentative after returning from injury, which is the opposite of how he has played the majority of his career. I don't know why that is so hard to understand.

As for asset management, your views are let's say..... misguided. You don't do what you can do dump any poor contact, because guess what? It costs assets to give up a bad contract! What do teams want to absorb poor contracts? Draft picks, something we can't exactly afford to give away right now because our 2018 first round pick and next three second round picks are all tied up in trades already. And let's be perfectly honest here, if your worst contract is Troy Brouwer, you are in better shape than most teams in the NHL. And before you suggest that the Flames eat salary in a trade, let's not forget that the Flames have NEVER absorbed salary in a trade since that was implemented.

Because that was Brouwer's worst year of his career and his "decline" was sudden and following a broken hand, he deserves an opportunity to rebound. And to @Mobiandi pointing at his 5 on 5 vs PP production, that was one of the reasons the man was acquired, because of his PP production (the others being his PK ability, leadership and grit). He a third line player that is effective on the PP, as his career numbers would show.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Every player needs their hands. Not a single NHL player can be effective without healthy hands. Suggesting otherwise shows a serious lack of knowledge of the game. The guy had the worst year of his career and it all came after the hand injury (not broken finger, broken hand, significant difference), one he returned early from because other players were out injured. Brouwer played tentative after returning from injury, which is the opposite of how he has played the majority of his career. I don't know why that is so hard to understand.

As for asset management, your views are let's say..... misguided. You don't do what you can do dump any poor contact, because guess what? It costs assets to give up a bad contract! What do teams want to absorb poor contracts? Draft picks, something we can't exactly afford to give away right now because our 2018 first round pick and next three second round picks are all tied up in trades already. And let's be perfectly honest here, if your worst contract is Troy Brouwer, you are in better shape than most teams in the NHL. And before you suggest that the Flames eat salary in a trade, let's not forget that the Flames have NEVER absorbed salary in a trade since that was implemented.

Because that was Brouwer's worst year of his career and his "decline" was sudden and following a broken hand, he deserves an opportunity to rebound. And to @Mobiandi pointing at his 5 on 5 vs PP production, that was one of the reasons the man was acquired, because of his PP production (the others being his PK ability, leadership and grit). He a third line player that is effective on the PP, as his career numbers would show.
It was a broken finger, not hand, http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/player-bio/troy-brouwer/bio. But even coming off of an injured finger, he should be expected to contribute in someway (bang, crash, PK) whereas there's not much Gaudreau could do. There isn't a comparison and I'm not sold on it as an excuse for his poor play (as I'm sure many others aren't either).
Also, there you go again reading things that aren't there. I didn't say you do anything you can to dump his contract, I say when there is an OPPORTUNITY to get rid of it, you jump on it. That means when someone (St. Louis, Vegas, Vancouver as the rumour suggests) is in need of a player of Brouwer's ilk, you take the opportunity. $4.5 million is too much salary to be giving second chances to 3rd or 4th line players.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It was a broken finger, not hand, http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/player-bio/troy-brouwer/bio. But even coming off of an injured finger, he should be expected to contribute in someway (bang, crash, PK) whereas there's not much Gaudreau could do. There isn't a comparison and I'm not sold on it as an excuse for his poor play (as I'm sure many others aren't either).
Also, there you go again reading things that aren't there. I didn't say you do anything you can to dump his contract, I say when there is an OPPORTUNITY to get rid of it, you jump on it. That means when someone (St. Louis, Vegas, Vancouver as the rumour suggests) is in need of a player of Brouwer's ilk, you take the opportunity. $4.5 million is too much salary to be giving second chances to 3rd or 4th line players.
I'm not going to bother trying to convince you about the injury affecting his play. There is no point as we have both made up our minds.

Bu t there is no rumor suggesting any team is looking at Brouwer. It was a one off tweet saying he could be dealt and it wasn't specific to whether that meant immediately or maybe eventually. But no team was mentioned. People have suggested St. Louis, Vancouver and Vegas, but no credible source has even linked those teams to Brouwer or any team for that matter.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
As bad as Brouwer was, he was the worst in the playoffs where he was deservedly demoted to the 4th line.

Flames are playing the most physical and big team in the playoffs, arguably, and Brouwer is out there not doing anything. Not only did he not step up, but he took a step backwards. Terrible for someone making $4.5mil and who should be counted on to score goals and be physical.

This season if he is on the 4th line I won't be too upset because we don't need the capspace, however next year when Backs needs re-signing and in 2 years when Bennett and Tkachuk both need extensions, it's really going to hurt if this guy is still on our team costing us $4.5 mil. $4.5 is a good chunk of change for a 2nd line depth player and he is playing like a 4th line scrub who is bringing our PP down. FFS

How can anyone defend this guy even a shred? He's a complete bum.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
As bad as Brouwer was, he was the worst in the playoffs where he was deservedly demoted to the 4th line.

Flames are playing the most physical and big team in the playoffs, arguably, and Brouwer is out there not doing anything. Not only did he not step up, but he took a step backwards. Terrible for someone making $4.5mil and who should be counted on to score goals and be physical.

This season if he is on the 4th line I won't be too upset because we don't need the capspace, however next year when Backs needs re-signing and in 2 years when Bennett and Tkachuk both need extensions, it's really going to hurt if this guy is still on our team costing us $4.5 mil. $4.5 is a good chunk of change for a 2nd line depth player and he is playing like a 4th line scrub who is bringing our PP down. FFS

How can anyone defend this guy even a shred? He's a complete bum.
Saying to give him another season isn't really defending him. But spin your narrative however you want.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad