Rumor: Brouwer Trade?

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
Cant link cause on my phone but I remember him calling the kulak signing earlier in the day that it happened, also called Bouma signing with Chicago. He has connection within the Vancouver organization so I'm not too sure how he would know much about brouwer though.
If that is the case, then it is a possibility what @InfinityIggy said is true, and that Benning may have inquired about Brouwer's availability. I could actually see it being a team that Brouwer would want to go to since he apparently wanted to come to Calgary pretty badly and Vancouver is a lot closer to here than St. Louis or Las Vegas.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
If that is the case, then it is a possibility what @InfinityIggy said is true, and that Benning may have inquired about Brouwer's availability. I could actually see it being a team that Brouwer would want to go to since he apparently wanted to come to Calgary pretty badly and Vancouver is a lot closer to here than St. Louis or Las Vegas.
Yeah, he also always seems to report things about Vancouver born players, which Brouwer is so maybe he has a source there but I won't get my hopes too high for now.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If Brouwer is traded, salary would be coming back. Perhaps a player in a similar situation but a defenceman. That’s all that makes sense really a guy who can be a #6 for a season or 2.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Would love to see if they could dump that contract. Don’t care if we have to pick a bad one back up for a year or two.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I've got mixed feelings. He didn't do well last year, but asking a guy to waive one season into a 4 year deal doesn't exactly look good if you're an upcoming free agent. I understand it's a business, but... I don't know. His value won't be much/is likely close to negative, and is there really anyone knocking at the door ready to step in on the RW?

I'm just really worried about;
A: What future free agents might think
B: What the Flames will have to give up/take back to make this happen.

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
How is this possible? He has a full NTC. Doubt he would waive

I'm not too sure. With his performance in the preseason and the Jagr signing, he's now our 4th line RW. He could even be splitting time with Lazar. Cant see him being happy about 8-10 mins a night a couple times a week. I could easily see him waiving for a team wanting him for regular top nine minutes.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I've got mixed feelings. He didn't do well last year, but asking a guy to waive one season into a 4 year deal doesn't exactly look good if you're an upcoming free agent. I understand it's a business, but... I don't know. His value won't be much/is likely close to negative, and is there really anyone knocking at the door ready to step in on the RW?

If any of this is even remotely true, there's an equally good if not better chance Brouwer asked for a trade. He didn't sign here to play on the 4th line with Stajan and Glass or Lazar. Because with Jagr in fold, that's it for him; Ferland has first dibs with Gaudreau and Monahan. The Backlund line isn't being broken up anytime soon and Jagr was signed to get Bennett someone competent to work with.

If Brouwer still thinks he has something to offer an organization, he'll want out almost as much as most fans want him gone.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Honestly I doubt any future FA’s will think anything. Players would easily see that he hasn’t performed to expectations. It’s a business and it is what it is.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Honestly I doubt any future FA’s will think anything. Players would easily see that he hasn’t performed to expectations. It’s a business and it is what it is.
Exactly, FA realize that if they don't perform well even with contracts it risks them being traded, bought out, buried, and possibly depending on the circumstances even contract termination.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Exactly, FA realize that if they don't perform well even with contracts it risks them being traded, bought out, buried, and possibly depending on the circumstances even contract termination.
Doesn't stop them from choosing places more likely to honor their contracts, especially that gave out long term contracts with NTCs and don't give a second chance after an injury plagued first season. Honestly, people that think this stuff doesn't affect the ability to sign FAs are either naive or lying to themselves.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Doesn't stop them from choosing places more likely to honor their contracts, especially that gave out long term contracts with NTCs and don't give a second chance after an injury plagued first season. Honestly, people that think this stuff doesn't affect the ability to sign FAs are either naive or lying to themselves.

Sure it might affect FA's but that at best would come a distant 5th to Money, Term, Location and Team. Plus there are likely other teams that would have issues of their own.

The Leafs have dumped a bunch of guys in the minors or an LTIR and they were able to sign Marleau no problem last year.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
IIRC I heard rumors Brouwer was somewhat unhappy with his minutes last year. With Jagr in, it's probable he's the one who wanted out. Still, it's prettttty vague and why would anyone take on that contract? I would assume Brouwer @ 3M AAV may be of interest to some teams out there. He's not worth that, but some GMs may disagree. McPhee loved him when he was in Washington, maybe he still like him at 3M or so.
Once again a HERO chart has outperformed an NHL general manager on a free agent signing.
still spreading the good message I see

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Vegas seems likely if this does actually happen. As Dertell mentioned, McPhee thought very highly of Brouwer, and let's face it. Brouwer would be a fairly big upgrade to their roster.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Vegas seems likely if this does actually happen. As Dertell mentioned, McPhee thought very highly of Brouwer, and let's face it. Brouwer would be a fairly big upgrade to their roster.
Tfw you could have taken Brouwer in the expansion draft but then you decide to trade for him instead

GMGM gonna GM

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Tfw you could have taken Brouwer in the expansion draft but then you decide to trade for him instead

GMGM gonna GM

Things change. They took a lot of defensemen in hopes of dealing some, but that doesn't appear to have worked out very well so far. It's possible a few of their forwards have disappointed in camp as well. Neal is injured (not sure for how long). Maybe Treliving is willing to sweeten the deal if it means dumping the contract.

Honestly, I don't think anything will actually happen, but who knows.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Such as?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Not that it'd happen, but I wonder if we can find an upgrade at #6D (from Vegas) for Brouwer?

Garrison for Brouwer. Make it so Treliving! We'd essentially be running a weaker second pair on our third pair.

4.6 for one year versus 4.5 for 3 years, so Vegas may want a sweetener.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
McPhee's execution of the expansion draft was very questionable, but the fact that he took Engelland over a free Brouwer, when he could've waited a few more days to sign the former in free agency was very telling. I don't think anyone covets Brouwer except for maybe the Blues, who wished to keep him before coming here.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Brouwer missed 8 games last season, how exactly is that injury plagued?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad