Rumor: [Brooks] The Rangers are going to blow it all up

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Your comments don't even make sense now. I'm talking about the Jets POV, don't care about your teams POV. If you think you will get value for a guy under contract for about a 100 games or so vs a guy signed long term is silly.

I’m not talking about any of that. Most of us, now, aren’t. We are talking about you not understanding what “rental” means. The fact that I have to say that once again is astounding to me.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I’m not talking about any of that. Most of us, now, aren’t. We are talking about you not understanding what “rental” means. The fact that I have to say that once again is astounding to me.

I fully understand what your saying and the commonly understood definition of the term......but as I stated multi times "to the Jets" he would be a rental at best b/c we couldn't keep him any longer. Heck we can't even trade for him now unless you took cap back which you likely wouldn't.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
You can't afford McDonagh at 4.7, but you can have Mason making 4.1 to be a backup.....

Maybe you can move his shit contract, which some team would take for a year to keep a top line LD for an extra season...

Could do with Kulikov too, but that's another shit deal, but for 2 seasons.

It's not that difficult.

Oh, and he's not a rental. He'd be in the opening night lineup (barring injury) in October.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I fully understand what your saying and the commonly understood definition of the term......but as I stated multi times "to the Jets" he would be a rental at best b/c we couldn't keep him any longer. Heck we can't even trade for him now unless you took cap back which you likely wouldn't.

Whether you would somehow have to trade a guy is meaningless to his status as a rental or a player with term.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
You can't afford McDonagh at 4.7, but you can have Mason making 4.1 to be a backup.....

Maybe you can move his **** contract, which some team would take for a year to keep a top line LD for an extra season...

Could do with with Kulikov, but that's another **** deal, but for 2 seasons.

It's not that difficult.

Oh, and he's not a rental. He'd be in the opening night lineup (barring injury) in October.

We have no back up after Mason of any value.....so suggesting making multi trades to try and make another trade is unrealistic.

Kul is playing well this year....I suspect you haven't watched him since he arrived here and based your opinion off of last year.

Again I stated if you sign him long term that's a game changer, no interest giving up blue chip pieces for a gamble.....pass

Jets don't need McD.....it's that's simple. We're a top five team missing our 1C, top pairing D, 3C for good chunks of the year....plus a bunch of smaller injuries. No reason to sell off our blue chips on a huge gamble McD walks for free

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
All buyers will care....they're only getting about 100 games service.

And that's why they still trade for players that are not "rentals."

A rental is a player that's an impending UFA at the end of that season in which he's being traded. Nick Holden is a rental for Boston.

IE: Ryan McDonagh and Mats Zuccarello are not rentals, as they have term left on their deal beyond the end of this season.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Whether you would somehow have to trade a guy is meaningless to his status as a rental or a player with term.

But it is......if we're forced to trade him during the summer we just paid a premium for less then 30 games of service. Thus a rental to us.......

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
And that's why they still trade for players that are not "rentals."

A rental is a player that's an impending UFA at the end of that season in which he's being traded. Nick Holden is a rental for Boston.

IE: Ryan McDonagh and Mats Zuccarello are not rentals, as they have term left on their deal beyond the end of this season.

As I stated if we're forced to trade him this summer we paid a premium for less then 30 games which is like a rental to us which is what I've stated from the start. We can't trade for him, we can't afford him, we don't need him, we can't resign him.....no interest in him.

Sell him to someone who needs and can afford him and is willing to pay the premium to get him.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
But it is......if we're forced to trade him during the summer we just paid a premium for less then 30 games of service. Thus a rental to us.......

I don’t think you get what a rental is. If you can trade a player with term left after the season, he’s not a rental. I don’t understand how you don’t get this. Thus, since you’re so unbelievably stubborn as to reinvent words, I’ll leave it at that.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
We have no back up after Mason of any value.....so suggesting making multi trades to try and make another trade is unrealistic.

You can find an adequate backup goalie in free agency for next to nothing. Goalies aren't hard to find in terms of backups.

Kul is playing well this year....I suspect you haven't watched him since he arrived here and based your opinion off of last year.

My opinion of Kulikov is coming from his days as a Panther and Sabre. Overrated in Florida and he really isn't that good. Bottom pairing guy at best, on a bad deal.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I don’t think you get what a rental is. If you can trade a player with term left after the season, he’s not a rental. I don’t understand how you don’t get this. Thus, since you’re so unbelievably stubborn as to reinvent words, I’ll leave it at that.

Paying a premium for roughly 30 games at the TDL and then forced to trade him during the summer due to the fact you can't afford him....for lesser pieces during the summer is bad asset management. Do you agree on this point?

JayMan82

Apr 5, 2006
South Carolina

Any reason why the Rangers wouldn't take money back on the remainder of his contract? I see 7.8 coming off the books for Nash and potentially more depending on what they do with Miller/Hayes/Smith/Zuccarello/etc. I would think the Rangers are in a very decent position to retain 30-50% of most of the contracts they ship out (at a higher premium, of course).

Going in, I was almost assuming we would retain money on three of the outgoing contracts.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
You can find an adequate backup goalie in free agency for next to nothing. Goalies aren't hard to find in terms of backups.

My opinion of Kulikov is coming from his days as a Panther and Sabre. Overrated in Florida and he really isn't that good. Bottom pairing guy at best, on a bad deal.

Don't tell Jets fans goalies are easy to find.....we spent 7 years to trying to find one....nevermind two. Shudder bad Pavs memories. Not to mention we would have to likely pay someone to take Mason after three concussions this year.....if we could find anyone.

Kuli is no McD of course but he's been performing well...as a 4-5 D. No complaints about his play.

Again even if we dumped a contract we don't need McD....giving up big assts for him is a bad idea.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Any reason why the Rangers wouldn't take money back on the remainder of his contract? I see 7.8 coming off the books for Nash and potentially more depending on what they do with Miller/Hayes/Smith/Zuccarello/etc. I would think the Rangers are in a very decent position to retain 30-50% of most of the contracts they ship out (at a higher premium, of course).

Going in, I was almost assuming we would retain money on three of the outgoing contracts.

Even if the contracts could be worked out.....not needed and certainly not worth mortgaging our future for the huge risk he walks for free. If you haven't noticed Peg isn't a top location for big name FA's or players with trade restrictions so very good chance he bolts. We're forced to D&D using ELC and signing guys while RFA b/c we know not many UFA's on other teams will sign here.

JayMan82

Apr 5, 2006
South Carolina
Even if the contracts could be worked out.....not needed and certainly not worth mortgaging our future for the huge risk he walks for free. If you haven't noticed Peg isn't a top location for big name FA's or players with trade restrictions so very good chance he bolts. We're forced to D&D using ELC and signing guys while RFA b/c we know not many UFA's on other teams will sign here.

I agree that it could be more difficult for some, but if the Peg is in his okay to trade to list, then it's at least conceivable. What I notice about the Jets is their potential logjam in the forward ranks. As seen in their recent playoff exit, what McDonagh provides is exactly what you need for your mostly young core.

Acquiring someone with term left (like McD) allows your organization to have more time to woo him to stay long term. I'd be shocked that IF a team like Winnipeg is interested, a pre-requisite would be to identify his interest to stay for the long haul into their Cup contending window which, at least from my point of view, is about to hit.

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
Is DeAngelo part of the core that most likely stays?

Seems that way...I don't think anyone is "untouchable" but there's really no reason for the Rangers to trade him, considering he's still young and showing some good promise, and was part of a trade that saw their 1C leave town last summer.

Reactions: RABBIT

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I agree that it could be more difficult for some, but if the Peg is in his okay to trade to list, then it's at least conceivable. What I notice about the Jets is their potential logjam in the forward ranks. As seen in their recent playoff exit, what McDonagh provides is exactly what you need for your mostly young core.

Acquiring someone with term left (like McD) allows your organization to have more time to woo him to stay long term. I'd be shocked that IF a team like Winnipeg is interested, a pre-requisite would be to identify his interest to stay for the long haul into their Cup contending window which, at least from my point of view, is about to hit.

Agreed, huge risk. If the significant risk could be adverted (unrealistic I know) then might be more open to the idea. I’ll also say that some other Jets fans would be perfectly ok with the risk....just not me.

I have an idea.....we share the risk. What do you think of the idea of Trouba for McD as the base of a deal. McD has 1.3 years term, Trouba has two more years with team control. Shared risk....

JayMan82

Apr 5, 2006
South Carolina
Agreed, huge risk. If the significant risk could be adverted (unrealistic I know) then might be more open to the idea. I’ll also say that some other Jets fans would be perfectly ok with the risk....just not me.

I have an idea.....we share the risk. What do you think of the idea of Trouba for McD as the base of a deal. McD has 1.3 years term, Trouba has two more years with team control. Shared risk....

I always saw that as a possibility, especially since you can reuse Trouba’s potential contract money to extend McD. I still think there would be a quality forward prospect add (something you have many of) and a conditional pick if McD resigns from Winnipeg.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I always saw that as a possibility, especially since you can reuse Trouba’s potential contract money to extend McD. I still think there would be a quality forward prospect add (something you have many of) and a conditional pick if McD resigns from Winnipeg.

Something could possibly worked out for a Trouba/McD deal that works for both groups. Yes trading Trouba frees up cap space currently reserved for Trouba could be allocated to McD then everyone is happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad