Value of: Brooks Orpik to NYR

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
1. Value is relative. He's an old player with a large cap hit. Most people with an understanding of the cap will realize it's a bad contract, ergo he has negative value
2. Albatross is a strong word and a likely strawman by the OP. But see above- he's a seriously declining player at a bad age
3. When is the last time a hockey player said anything remotely bad about a teammate that they just won the cup with? MAF was the SECOND guy to get the Cup last year and he was gone in the exp draft, what does this even mean?
4. I'll concede as I have no idea what the Caps situation is like

Better?

Sure.

1. Orpik is overpayed. He is otherwise a solid NHL player with high end leadership skills with one year left on his contract. A young rebuilding team with cap space and no plans for the playoffs could get real value from Orpik and then trade him at the deadline.
2. Seriously declining? He played 3rd pair minutes while also playing 1st pk and all the primary defensive situations. He did that with great success. Seriously declining sounds like he is not an NHL player.
3. I guess you have to see it on a consistant basis to understand it correctly. Which is understandable. An example. After Orpik scored his goal in the playoffs John Carlson was asked about it looking for a smiling moment. Carlson instead was indignant saying that Orpik gets no credit from anyone anywhere for all he does except in their dressing room. He is a quiet guy and that response said a lot. Its also worth noting there is reporting that after losing last season Ovechkin was told by a "teammate that he respects a lot that he was fat and needed to get in shape or the game would pass him by". All indications are this player was Orpik. Tom Wilson idolizes him.
4. Perfectly understandable

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Orpik isn't completely terrible but Cap fans are out to lunch. He would absolutely be addition by subtraction for them 100%. They would trade him for Future Considerations right now if they could to make some of these Free Agents easier to navigate. No doubt in my mind.

He has negative value to the Rebuilding Rangers unless an asset or two are tossed our way. Fans seem to be in a clear disagreement. I think most teams can find what Orpik would be providing without taking on 5M and giving up an asset in their farm club or on the waiver wire, TBH.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Bern, no disrespect, but sometimes you have to take a step back and really think about the offers you're tossing out. Even you can't break this down and think it's the best deal for the Capitals to do. 2018 & 2019 is insane. It's not fair value. It's not the value they need to pay for a team to take Orpik. It's not a return any realistic thinking GM would ask for. Orpik is a UFA.

Worst case scenario, Orpik is traded for a late round pick, Orpik is bought out, or Orpik is put on waivers and I'm sure someone is going to claim him. You're looking at this as Washington is in cap hell, will be losing star players and are on the verge of becoming a bottom team if they don't turn around and bribe a team to take Orpik - that's not the case here. The cap continues to go up. If Washington really wants to pay Carlson's demands, they will find a way without giving up 2 first round picks.

If Rangers were still contenders and didn't buy out Girardi (Had the 2018-2019 been his UFA year), would you trade Girardi and 2 first round picks to get out of that 5.5 million contract?

1. No disrespect considered given, none taken, my friend.

2. Do I think this is the best 'deal' for Caps?
No, best move is to manufacture cap from elsewhere and keep him.
But if they must 'deal' him, it will be for the best trade offer possible. I said clearly that there would be competition of bids for the price paid to eat a cap dump.
That price may well be different for different clubs, and I see this as a trend in flux. Previously, cap space was not as much of a premium due to loopholes, easier buyouts, whatever; now they are important. The more $ and term, the more such a premium commands. That said, for whatever reason, an odd club may buck the trend and take less, especially since Orpik just barely hits the imaginary cut off of 5-5.5mil for 1 yr, compared to more for Lucic, Ryan, Seabs.
That said, Rangers should not jump out the window just because someone else does.

3. 2018 & 2019 is insane. It's not fair value.
We can choose a deal at, below or above fair value, and they can reject if they wish. Both sides have to meet in the middle. But there is a trap that what might value might be thought for Orpik is what should apply and not that of a cap dump.

4. It's not the value they need to pay for a team to take Orpik. It's not a return any realistic thinking GM would ask for. Orpik is a UFA.
What is overlooked is I said not all firsts are equal.
Obviously, he is not worth a top 5 pick.
Conversely, he is not worth a final 5 pick.
Theoretically there is a middle ground we can agree on.

However, WAS does not have anything else to offer at present.
No prospects or players have been proffered.
So it is either a last pick this year, with immediate prospect next year of a late pick as well. At some point the Caps will fall back to the rest of clubs, but that is not anytime soon and Rangers should not take compensation later than next year.

A 31st final pick is not enough for the cap room for NYR. Another club, maybe, maybe not. So there is a need to add.

5. You're looking at this as Washington is in cap hell, will be losing star players and are on the verge of becoming a bottom team if they don't turn around and bribe a team to take Orpik - that's not the case here. The cap continues to go up. If Washington really wants to pay Carlson's demands, they will find a way without giving up 2 first round picks.

The cap going up cushions vs their pressures.
It may not quite be that dire for WAS yet, but while we don't want to unfairly extort, we also are not doing anybody any favors, either. The solution here, if a trade is unavoidable, and if for some reason it is Rangers which is not a given conclusion, then it is to find alternate compensation.

But if it is 1sts only, and we are eating the whole of Orpik's contract, than given how late those picks are one is insufficient and some add is required.

-------

When it was unpopular with the win now crowd at our board, I mentioned that while we are not constantly turning out EVERY vet to stay young, that was the necessary trend to manage cap and address roster needs.

We now have a similar situation and I respectfully suggest I am ahead of the curve here as well. Unless someone is doing somebody a favor, no one is going to squander the precious resource of cap space. This is why Lucic, Ryan, and Seabrook have not been moved.

---------------

If Rangers were still contenders and didn't buy out Girardi (Had the 2018-2019 been his UFA year), would you trade Girardi and 2 first round picks to get out of that 5.5 million contract?

Your question by nature limits any creative options I may otherwise have.
1. I was for trading Girardi to ANA for 11OA
2. Once that was not done, I was against any long term deal, esp with that type of play. If you MUST deal, do so, and overpay 1 yr at a time, but don't get stuck with physical limitations.
3. Failing that, you will recall I had various trade suggestions for Girardi, now water under the bridge, but one of the main ones was to Bruins for Chara. G had 2 yrs same money, easier to buyout. Chara was not yet rejuvenated, which was not expected pushing 40, and he had 7m next to last year and 4ish last year of his deal. Since Chara was projected an albatross for us as well, the thought was we get him off LD and put him at 4LW. This is before Bruins hit backline gold and it was thought by most they wanted cap space and were considering options to move that 7m on Chara.
4. Going on what you said, I would look at where would Girardi be the most useful. If he is an anchor at 1RD, Again, look at 4W as a stopgap
5. Consider all other options to buy out, if any.
6. Value the length of the contract and the $ vs the strength of the draft and the likely suggestions.

I would not be inclined to surrender the picks.
Then again, that is a discussion of how much I need new talent vs. how much I need cap space for immediate needs.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It's as if most non-Caps fans didn't just watch him play in the Finals. The dude was a rock on D, a monster physical presence and a massive voice in the room.

I get it though...many Caps fans crapped on him forever, some still even today attempt to minimize his contributions or the vacuum he will leave when gone.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
It's as if most non-Caps fans didn't just watch him play in the Finals. The dude was a rock on D, a monster physical presence and a massive voice in the room.

I get it though...many Caps fans crapped on him forever, some still even today attempt to minimize his contributions or the vacuum he will leave when gone.

There's no deal to be made between NYR and WSH, not on this front at least. You guys are happy to keep him and he has no place on the Rangers in their current state. I'm not saying he wouldn't be a positive presence to the team, but a trade centered around Orpik coming to NY doesn't look like it would happen.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
No chance I’d trade Orpik. He’s a key part of the team and fills his role as a Pker, mentor and professional locker room presence outstanding like.

If the coaching staff are the officers then Orpik is the master sergeant. He keeps the players in line that much is easy to see by reading and listening to his teammates and management.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
There's no deal to be made between NYR and WSH, not on this front at least. You guys are happy to keep him and he has no place on the Rangers in their current state. I'm not saying he wouldn't be a positive presence to the team, but a trade centered around Orpik coming to NY doesn't look like it would happen.

Fair enough...I'd rather keep 44, but I also didn't suggest the trade. One of yours did.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Absolutely eh? Be careful to just out of hand dismiss what people who know the team best see and think.

I just think the salary gap gained from jettisoning him is more valuable than what he gives you @ 5.5 over a replacement player. Just my 2 cents.

Maybe his intangibles and everything make it more valuable but if moving him lets you possibly keep Kempny in addition to Carlson I think that cap is more valuable.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I just think the salary gap gained from jettisoning him is more valuable than what he gives you @ 5.5 over a replacement player. Just my 2 cents.

Maybe his intangibles and everything make it more valuable but if moving him lets you possibly keep Kempny in addition to Carlson I think that cap is more valuable.

Who knows if they keep Kempny. I think he was a place holder for Djoos. Kempny played with Carlson nominally but with that he played barely more than Orpik. In any game they had a lead in the 3rd period Orpik moved into Kempny's spot. Orpik was +17. Carlson was +11. Kempny was +1. That's with Carlson/Kempny as an offensive zone start pair and Orpik a defensive zone start player.

Reactions: SBraun

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Rick Nash since. Marc Staal, Dan Girardi, Lundqvist (ouch) recently or currently. I guess they aren’t Has-Beens, they’re Never-Weres. Continuing the theme Brad Richards but at least he was a true Has-Been.

If that guy has nothing better than a finger for the Capitals I have a few things for Rangers fans. They start with F and end with U.
"That guy" already told you the same thing with that finger.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
This is the kind of salt I love.

It's funny how winning truly fixes everything.

When you guys were figuring a new way to pull defeat from the jaws of victory every postseason for years, were you all less than salty about it when someone else lifted the cup? Just fans of the game who respected the winners effort I'm sure. I guess I'm old fashioned that way. You won. Congrats. I don't have to like it and I don't. If we win I don't expect anything more out of you or your fan base. Revel in your win. Don't expect company from the rest of us. I don't want to carry this on forever so let's not. I believe in the handshake at the end of a series. I don't believe in watching the other team celebrate their victory.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Going to need to use the Copy & Paste function for all Orpik proposals it looks like.

1. He does not have negative value.
2. He has one year left on his contract. It's disingenuous to continue painting him as someone with an albatross of a contract.
3. He was the 3rd player to receive the Cup behind Ovie and Backstrom. Tom Wilson said that the team will stop partying when Orpik says it's time to get back to work. The organization loves him and he's the leader of the locker room.
4. The Caps can resign Carlson without having to move Orpik.

I'd love to again hear how a player who was put on waivers doesn't have negative value

I love how these posts age so well!

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Meh, can’t win ‘em all. Please continue searching through my post history though, I’m sure it’ll be a productive use of your time!

It wasn't specifically YOUR post, many people were parroting this garbage and I happened to remember it.
Hivemind at it's finest though...

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It wasn't specifically YOUR post, many people were parroting this garbage and I happened to remember it.
Hivemind at it's finest though...

It's all good. I wonder if Carolina (the other team who would have taken Orpik back) would have bought him out. I also think Orpik has positive value at the $1-2mm price range. He was admittedly overpaid at $5.5/year but I still think he could be useful to a handful of teams out there at a reduced rate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad