Value of: Brooks Orpik to NYR

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
What would it take for the Rangers to eat Orpiks cap so the Caps can resign Carlson
something like the belesky trade where the Rangers got assets for taking on the bad contract and could the Rangers add something like zuccarello to sweeten the return

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Really? Why on earth would we do this? We're just going to become a dumping ground for has beens in exchange for a bunch of magic beans? I'm not in on this Capitals love-in. You got your cup. Good for you. The only thing I have for them is the finger I'm holding up. They shouldn't be looking in this direction for much more than that, and I hope management feels the same way.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Going to need to use the Copy & Paste function for all Orpik proposals it looks like.

1. He does not have negative value.
2. He has one year left on his contract. It's disingenuous to continue painting him as someone with an albatross of a contract.
3. He was the 3rd player to receive the Cup behind Ovie and Backstrom. Tom Wilson said that the team will stop partying when Orpik says it's time to get back to work. The organization loves him and he's the leader of the locker room.
4. The Caps can resign Carlson without having to move Orpik.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Really? Why on earth would we do this? We're just going to become a dumping ground for has beens in exchange for a bunch of magic beans? I'm not in on this Capitals love-in. You got your cup. Good for you. The only thing I have for them is the finger I'm holding up. They shouldn't be looking in this direction for much more than that, and I hope management feels the same way.
So business as usual for NYR then?

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
NYR have two bad contracts at LHD already... Marc Staal and Brendan Smith. Orpik isn't massively overpaid, but I think they might try to make sure any bloated contracts they take on in the next while will be at forward (or at least RHD instead of LHD).

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I suppose its possible that the Caps trade Orpik. I think its unlikely as he continues to bring the team what they signed him to bring.

If they did trade him, lets stop with the idea that he is so bad and his contract so bad that the Caps need to pay a team to take him. They wont do that.

As has been mentioned the Caps don't need to move Orpik to resign Carlson. Further Carlson would want Orpik there.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Not been that way for years, but sure... enjoy your joke from 2004.
Ooooh.... burn!
You really took me behind the woodshed on that one.
It might be a while before I come up with banter witty enough to hang with you.
Rick Nash since. Marc Staal, Dan Girardi, Lundqvist (ouch) recently or currently. I guess they aren’t Has-Beens, they’re Never-Weres. Continuing the theme Brad Richards but at least he was a true Has-Been.

If that guy has nothing better than a finger for the Capitals I have a few things for Rangers fans. They start with F and end with U.

Last edited:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
W'e're sending Zucc to sweeten the deal? WTF are we asking for back because Zucc alone is worth more than their first round pick. So by that package, we're asking for something back a lot more valuable than their first round pick, which leads to WHY DOES WASHINGTON DO THIS?

Rangers don't need to do this and if they want to get assets back for taking on contracts, pending UFA's are not those we should target. Not a lot of assets coming back with UFA's.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
No reason for either team to do this, Orpik seems like a heart and soul leader for the Caps and the Rangers are entering a rebuild not adding vets to make a cup run.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Going to need to use the Copy & Paste function for all Orpik proposals it looks like.

2. He has one year left on his contract. It's disingenuous to continue painting him as someone with an albatross of a contract.
3. He was the 3rd player to receive the Cup behind Ovie and Backstrom. Tom Wilson said that the team will stop partying when Orpik says it's time to get back to work. The organization loves him and he's the leader of the locker room.

NYR have two bad contracts at LHD already... Marc Staal and Brendan Smith. Orpik isn't massively overpaid, but I think they might try to make sure any bloated contracts they take on in the next while will be at forward (or at least RHD instead of LHD).

all of the above.

That said, and as a courtesy to OP, there is a point at which if enough is on the table, it makes sense as a biz decision to eat the $ - esp if it is only 1 yr - and take the assets.

Caps likely to prefer to keep Orpik, but if they are cap squeezed enough, they may look that way. In that case, understand they are in competition with other teams looking to dump cap --- Seabrook w/CHI, Ryan w/OTT, etc. --- and while not all these contracts are equally bad, they compete for roster space w/each other as well as NY's own bad deals.

Given that, assuming Rangers eat 100% Orp's 5.5, I would do
Rangers 2018 3rd and 2019 2nd
for
Orpik and Caps 2018 and 2019 1sts

If the Caps ate half, I do the NY 2019 2nd for the 2019 1st.
Granted, it is 1st next year, but this year's 1st is the last 1st.

Cap space is a valued asset, being finite it commands, up to a premium.
OP was polite and respectful ask.
But as EssEmmEll sentiments, we don't want to become a dumping ground, and to make an exception to that policy, it will cost. If you get a cheaper taker elsewhere, terrif.

We are not doing a contract like Ryan, with all that term on top of top $, for a single mere 1st or so, and if we took him on at all, it would be while sending Marc Staal the other way.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I hope management wants to do whatever is best for the team and doesn’t let personal biases influence them

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Rick Nash since. Marc Staal, Dan Girardi, Lundqvist (ouch) recently or currently. I guess they aren’t Has-Beens, they’re Never-Weres. Continuing the theme Brad Richards but at least he was a true Has-Been.

If that guy has nothing better than a finger for the Capitals I have a few things for Rangers fans. They start with F and end with U.
Nash scored 40 goals after he came here.

None of Staal, Girardi or Hank were “dumped” here, all 3 were developed here and never played anywhere else prior.

Hank being a “never was” is hilariously petty and incorrect.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Orpik's 5.5M(1) for Brendan Smith with 1.35M retained = 3M(3)

Save extra 2.5M now to sign JC, RFA's and 3M is a proper value for Smith.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon

then keep him.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
all of the above.

That said, and as a courtesy to OP, there is a point at which if enough is on the table, it makes sense as a biz decision to eat the $ - esp if it is only 1 yr - and take the assets.

Caps likely to prefer to keep Orpik, but if they are cap squeezed enough, they may look that way. In that case, understand they are in competition with other teams looking to dump cap --- Seabrook w/CHI, Ryan w/OTT, etc. --- and while not all these contracts are equally bad, they compete for roster space w/each other as well as NY's own bad deals.

Given that, assuming Rangers eat 100% Orp's 5.5, I would do
Rangers 2018 3rd and 2019 2nd
for
Orpik and Caps 2018 and 2019 1sts

If the Caps ate half, I do the NY 2019 2nd for the 2019 1st.
Granted, it is 1st next year, but this year's 1st is the last 1st.

Cap space is a valued asset, being finite it commands, up to a premium.
OP was polite and respectful ask.
But as EssEmmEll sentiments, we don't want to become a dumping ground, and to make an exception to that policy, it will cost. If you get a cheaper taker elsewhere, terrif.

We are not doing a contract like Ryan, with all that term on top of top $, for a single mere 1st or so, and if we took him on at all, it would be while sending Marc Staal the other way.

You can't be serious. You think the Caps would give up two 1sts to dump a player they like who has 1 year left on his deal? That's patently absurd.

frisland

Apr 9, 2003
If we're taking bad contracts or dead money, i'd rather get brouwer from Calgary plus one of their AHL d (andersson/kylington/fox)

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan

Right... So Marc Staal and Henrik Lundqvist were Rangers draft picks and have played for them for their whole lives. Girardi signed for them in 2005 I think. Rick Nash had a couple of really good seasons in NY and looked like shit this last year and he got shipped out for a decent return. Brad Richards signed in 2011. He had two good seasons then started to decline. When he declined, he was bought out.

Maybe the only mistakes that were made were giving the term and money to Staal & Girardi when they did... but none of them were signed as has beens.

But whatever. You're clearly very happy in your weird little delusion.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You can't be serious. You think the Caps would give up two 1sts to dump a player they like who has 1 year left on his deal? That's patently absurd.
I think they keep him.
But let's remember, eating a lot of $, even if just the one year, is significant.
A final 1st at 31OA is not especially significant, and you have to figure odds are, while repeat is difficult, next year you will be last quarter-ish of picks, 25-31 or so.

So these are not a lot.

All firsts are not equal.

Also, I'm not busting your chops here, but I did add picks to dilute from loss of LATE Cap 1st(s).

I am amenable to consider a prospect or two if you care to recommend that instead, but remember, NY, like everyone else, wants a profit on each transaction.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think they keep him.
But let's remember, eating a lot of $, even if just the one year, is significant.
A final 1st at 31OA is not especially significant, and you have to figure odds are, while repeat is difficult, next year you will be last quarter-ish of picks, 25-31 or so.

So these are not a lot.

All firsts are not equal.

Also, I'm not busting your chops here, but I did add picks to dilute from loss of LATE Cap 1st(s).

I am amenable to consider a prospect or two if you care to recommend that instead, but remember, NY, like everyone else, wants a profit on each transaction.

Regardless of whether it's a late first or not, find me precedent where a team gave up 2 1st round picks to dump 1 year of a contract for a player that played meaningful minutes for a Stanley Cup winner.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Right... So Marc Staal and Henrik Lundqvist were Rangers draft picks and have played for them for their whole lives. Girardi signed for them in 2005 I think. Rick Nash had a couple of really good seasons in NY and looked like **** this last year and he got shipped out for a decent return. Brad Richards signed in 2011. He had two good seasons then started to decline. When he declined, he was bought out.

Maybe the only mistakes that were made were giving the term and money to Staal & Girardi when they did... but none of them were signed as has beens.

But whatever. You're clearly very happy in your weird little delusion.

Speaking only to the bold,
extending Girardi was a mistake.
First they supposedly had a chance to deal him to Ana as a rental for 11OA or so that year his deal was up. Then they gave him too many years, when it was clear Torts was telling what was at one point borderline, but nevertheless still actually, an All Star first pair that year only, that they need to block, block, and block still more shots.
And then we are surprised when these guys turn into pylons and have degrading game!

Staal had eye injuries and concussions, could happen to anyone.

Again, prob was not rewarding prior hard play with new deals, and we can quibble about whether or not how high they were.

Prob was term.

That said, poster is right.
There were not has beens when extension signed.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Regardless of whether it's a late first or not, find me precedent where a team gave up 2 1st round picks to dump 1 year of a contract for a player that played meaningful minutes for a Stanley Cup winner.

too busy in real world to go there
late or not is not regardless, it is factual real consideration

like I said, the new and relevant factor is there is significant competition among multiple clubs who each want to ditch a bad contract. Previously, cap pressure was not what it was; the cap was not as hard, clubs w/$ could buyout more readily, etc.

Now, not so many loopholes.
Cap is TIGHTLY regulated.
If you want to buy a piece of some club's salary allotment, it is going to increasingly cost ya.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad