Brooks:NHL's Salary Cap was actually less

Status
Not open for further replies.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Drury_Sakic said:
I understand that, but I think that is one of the things that has hurt the NHL in some cases.... flopping around talent like that is just wrong IMO.. and I am a BIG fan of the BIGGEST abuser of that example...

If the league is serious about keeping all 30 teams competitive, this would be one way to help.. Plus.. it would create a more stable roster... I think if the NHL wants to grow the game, the names and faces need to start being more conisitant over time, so that a causual fan can start identifying with players and perhaps watch more hockey because they like that player..but thats just me..

I prefer it if teams weren't all competitive at the same time. I like to think of competitive league as one where every team COULD be competitive if they were ready. I like the fact that teams are split into 1 of 4 categories rebuilding, improving, contending, declining. The idea that lower payroll teams can afford to keep good rosters together when the time comes. The idea that rich teams can't postpone decline for ever by raiding players and signing UFAs.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
me2 said:
Does anyone else know how they deal with this in other capped leagues, US soccer, NFL, NBA, English Rugby?
The governing body can unilaterally impliment a cap in non US sports.

As long as it doesnt go against the laws (ie RFAs would not be allowed in Europe as its a restriction of trade) then the leagues can make their own choices as there are no CBAs to deal with and no work stoppages either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad