News Article: Brooklyn/Belmont Arena Discussion (Islanders to play 20 games at NVMC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Thanks for the updates. Did they respond to any of Sexton’s questions?
They responded to all of his questions. He got on line 3 times when people were requested to ask just one question so everyone would get a chance. The one about donations to Cuomo was one of Sexton’s questions.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
They responded to all of his questions. He got on line 3 times when people were requested to ask just one question so everyone would get a chance. The one about donations to Cuomo was one of Sexton’s questions.
Is he as big of a jackass in person as he appears to be online?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
In my opinion..If You dont have the brains to know hockey as well as a 12 year old fan...and you buy a team run it into the ground for 20 years like Wang has and Malkins been doing here for 4 years...its hard to imagine they could run a restaurant properly if they cant even run a simple thing like a hockey team. look at Wang. Couldnt get anything done on Long Island due to being thick headed stubburn and surrounding himself with failure types. Once Isles leave Coliseums on its second upgrade ronkonkoma wants a building...

Yeah, those billionaires and millionaires don't know how to build anything right.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
In my opinion..If You dont have the brains to know hockey as well as a 12 year old fan...and you buy a team run it into the ground for 20 years like Wang has and Malkins been doing here for 4 years...its hard to imagine they could run a restaurant properly if they cant even run a simple thing like a hockey team. look at Wang. Couldnt get anything done on Long Island due to being thick headed stubburn and surrounding himself with failure types. Once Isles leave Coliseums on its second upgrade ronkonkoma wants a building...
Good grief.:facepalm:

You know James Dolan can’t run the Knicks for shit, but his Rags, the Garden, MSG Network are doing okay.

Reactions: nyisles

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006

I want to donkey punch that asshole so badly.

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
The opposition to this is not impressive. Sexton is a clownish blowhard with an inflated sense of purpose. Tammie is a community organizer who couldn't even fill up a small theater to oppose tonight and Elmont and Floral Park seem to be getting concessions leaving little else to whine about other than traffic and will this work...

The men and women on stage struck me as very professional. They handled tonight effortlessly.
Opposition is 100% skelled

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Good grief.:facepalm:

You know James Dolan can’t run the Knicks for ****, but his Rags, the Garden, MSG Network are doing okay.

Dolan hires well respected people the highest priced front office in the NBA. Wang and Malkin found themselves the cheapest crew that they could hire. Big difference. Mostly the NBA is a tough sport to be GM or owner you cant get much better by hiring smart people. You need to get lucky in the lottery and hope the free agents pick your team as a super team

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
My question to panel about bringing Belmont spur up to full service status given current track configurations. NYAP says they only became designee 3 months ago so it’s too soon to comment but this will be a $1B project and intend to be in a public/private partnership with MTA on financing improvements. Scope of which is too early in the process to comment about.

I think NYAP may settle with to a shuttle bus arrangement from either Bellerose or Floral Park LIRR to Belmont Park Arena for event days, or another LIRR station gets built between Bellerose and Queens Village.

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think NYAP may settle with to a shuttle bus arrangement from either Bellerose or Floral Park LIRR to Belmont Park Arena for event days, or another LIRR station gets built between Bellerose and Queens Village.
Another station on the main line will result in a 20 minute walk to the arena. Colossal waste of money.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
With almost no rush-hour use.
Exactly. Remember this is not just fornthe arena. The LIRR has to bring people to the retail/entertainment component of the development, which as of last night, may end up in the lot south of Hempstead Turnpike. If the walk to the arena would be 20 minutes then the walk to the retail district would be another 10 minutes. This is a non-starter.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Resident: Has market research been done to see if people will come. If fans won’t go to Barclays why will they come here? What if it doesn’t work? NYAP: the team is not viable in Brooklyn, existing fanbase is largely Nassau/Suffolk based. We know where they live, what zip codes they live in. Retail component is going for another brick and mortar dev because Value Retail looks to build destination complex that follows their current market model. We are creating tourist destination. This is our first Value Retail foray into NY market.

Reminds me of a debate I had with a guy named Tim back in late 2004 in New Westminster, just east of Burnaby. I felt Isles were not reaching their brand potential in Nassau, something I felt before I became a full time fan in December 27, 2003. I suggested to Tim that Isles should move into NYC but he rejected my idea because of the Rangers who are an original 6. Tim told me Isles were better where they were at the time (Nassau Coliseum). Only the Isles struggles in Brooklyn convinced me the team is better off in Nassau, right after Newsday reported Isles were looking at Belmont Park in July 2016.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Isles’ arena set to start on schedule, state agency says

'By Jim Baumbach[email protected] @jimbaumbachUpdated April 30, 2018 9:33 PM (EDT)

Construction on the Islanders’ new arena and surrounding retail development project at Belmont Park remains on schedule to start as early as next spring, according to an Empire State Development timeline presented at a board meeting Monday.

The environmental review process at Belmont, which began this year, is “working toward completing” a draft environmental impact statement by the end of the year, said Thomas Conoscenti, ESD vice president for real estate and development.

Conoscenti added that he expects the final environmental impact statement to be done “by the second quarter 2019,” which begins April 1...'

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Reminds me of a debate I had with a guy named Tim back in late 2004 in New Westminster, just east of Burnaby. I felt Isles were not reaching their brand potential in Nassau, something I felt before I became a full time fan in December 27, 2003. I suggested to Tim that Isles should move into NYC but he rejected my idea because of the Rangers who are an original 6. Tim told me Isles were better where they were at the time (Nassau Coliseum). Only the Isles struggles in Brooklyn convinced me the team is better off in Nassau, right after Newsday reported Isles were looking at Belmont Park in July 2016.

That might be the single most bizarre statement I have ever read on these here boards.

And I've read and posted some weird shit.

Reactions: nyisles
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->