News Article: Brooklyn/Belmont Arena Discussion (Islanders to play 20 games at NVMC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
I wonder what Longobardi does as a second job, as I imagine 12K wouldn't go far in Floral Park.

Mayor is his 2nd job. His 1st job is as deputy comptroller for the Town of Hempstead. I believe the Town is behind this project so the Mayor needs to walk a fine line.

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
The people who would be mosted impacted by development of the north parking lot are the residents of the Village of Bellerose. So far we haven’t heard a peep from them.

There are some people in Floral Park, Elmont, and Bellerose who want to see this project go forward.
Parking lot isn't being developed. It's staying a parking lot. It may or may not be leased to the NYAP for use during games. Keep in mind this is ONLY a scoping document that lays out the parameters of the environmental review. It has to push out to the maximum possible impact so that it doesn't have to be redone if something changes. No need to get paranoid about some mostly non-players (most of whom should know better) scoring some political points.

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
The people who would be mosted impacted by development of the north parking lot are the residents of the Village of Bellerose. So far we haven’t heard a peep from them.

There are some people in Floral Park, Elmont, and Bellerose who want to see this project go forward.

I have family in all three of those, none are hockey or even sports fans, and they're excited for it. It is the way it has always been, the vocal minority is always the loudest.

Last edited:
Reactions: nyisles

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Parking lot isn't being developed. It's staying a parking lot. It may or may not be leased to the NYAP for use during games. Keep in mind this is ONLY a scoping document that lays out the parameters of the environmental review. It has to push out to the maximum possible impact so that it doesn't have to be redone if something changes. No need to get paranoid about some mostly non-players (most of whom should know better) scoring some political points.
It sounds like the hotel is going somewhere in that area.

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
No. Its next to the grandstand, per the site plan. Wouldn't make sense to stick it over on the other side of the track away from the rest of the project, etc. He's only complaining because it could be "too tall."

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
The "north parking lot" is the large, vacant area north of the racetrack (below the track, in the foreground, in the pic below). The "use" referred to is overflow parking. The north lot perimeter mostly borders on the track, the parkway, railroad tracks and a field. If the mayor is complaining about that, he's obviously fishing for things to complain about.

belmont.jpeg

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Funny that the mayor complains about the north parking lot "use" (as overflow parking - which is what it's used for currently), and also complains about adding an electric substation to that same north lot. An electric substation is a pretty inert use which, if anything, will act as a buffer between the existing parking and the school/neighboring homes. But the hotel is a skyscraper!

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
1. Personally I think Longobardi is a certified wacko in his own right, but I would think his opposition will carry more weight than what I say.

2. I would imagine Longobardi makes more than 12k a year.

3. While Longobardi's pouting may amount to nothing, Phillips opposition may be more problematic, since she is a New York State Senator, who likely has more say than a village mayor.

1.) Not really sure if it is tasteful to call a man who you've never met nor interacted with a "certified wacko." And, no I doubt his opposition will do anything, as this is a village position. He basically sets the prices for water bills.

2.) He makes $11,450.82. My apologies---he doesnt even make $12k. Again, he has another job. The mayor basically runs a monthly meeting. This is precisely why I question your intent poking around with Long island media people and politicians.

3.) Elaine Phillips is a junior senator. She actually represents my district. My district is overwhelming for the arena/development. She can cry all she wants, but she works for her constituents. She also has 0 say in the development.

Last edited:

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016
1.) Not really sure if it is tasteful to call a man who you've never met nor interacted with a "certified wacko." And, no I doubt his opposition will do anything, as this is a village position. He basically sets the prices for water bills.

2.) He makes $11,450.82. My apologies---he doesnt even make $12k. Again, he has another job. The mayor basically runs a monthly meeting. This is precisely why I question your intent poking around with Long island media people and politicians.

3.) Elaine Phillips is a junior senator. She actually represents my district. My district is overwhelming for the arena/development. She can cry all she wants, but she works for her constituents. She also has 0 say in the development.

Well that's kind of his job, to speak for the people of Floral Park. If he doesn't he won't get reelected. I personally wouldn't want a mayor with a salary of $12k, I'd wonder where else he was getting money from. Nor would I want a mayor also working for Hempstead. But that's Floral Park's problem.

The mayor obviously can't intervene but he's in a good position to rally the troops, which is pretty significant for social media.

Back to the Newsday article, the mayor and Elane Phillips say the newest modifications contradict previous parameters. I'm thinking this is what they're referencing: (RFP, page 6)
"Respondents may also propose an Alternative, which includes the Sites and land adjacent to Site A, north of Hempstead Turnpike. Additional land adjacent to Site A included in Respondents’ proposals shall total no more than seven (7) acres for a total of fifteen (15) acres including Site A."

Don't think all of this can't add up to a lawsuit that delays groundbreaking.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
I still don't believe Belmont will ever happen. Isles go to Nassau and eventually get moved to Seattle.

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
I still don't believe Belmont will ever happen. Isles go to Nassau and eventually get moved to Seattle.
Seattle was a possibility until the NHL set the expansion fee at $650M. No way the league is going to let that money go away. That's going to be an expansion, and that's going to happen. They did a season ticket deposit drive with a goal of 10,000 commitments. They got that in 12 minutes, over 30,000 by the end of the day.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016

same here, before the Isles won the Belmont bid, I would have said the chances of the Isles moving out of NY in the next 7 years was about 50%, after they announced the Isles won Belmont, I was surprised but still skeptical this Belmont thing would happen and I lowered those odds to around 10%, with each passing day and this Belmont thing seeming delayed by whatever, I would say those odds are growing again, if Tavares is going to leave, I am guessing those odds are going to grow significantly as this franchise is going to be at such a low and no one is going to care and they might say f*** it and realize it is not worth it to build it, than a few years at Nassau and the inevitable 9,000 attendances that are going to follow, they might say enough of this franchise

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
same here, before the Isles won the Belmont bid, I would have said the chances of the Isles moving out of NY in the next 7 years was about 50%, after they announced the Isles won Belmont, I was surprised but still skeptical this Belmont thing would happen and I lowered those odds to around 10%, with each passing day and this Belmont thing seeming delayed by whatever, I would say those odds are growing again, if Tavares is going to leave, I am guessing those odds are going to grow significantly as this franchise is going to be at such a low and no one is going to care and they might say **** it and realize it is not worth it to build it, than a few years at Nassau and the inevitable 9,000 attendances that are going to follow, they might say enough of this franchise

I totally agree. Maybe it's just the Isles fan in me, I just don't see Belmont every really happening. I feel like this whole thing has been a dog and pony show to get the Isles back to Nassau and either they fully renovate the coli or the Isles move away.

And if Belmont even really does happen, they better be booking 150+ events because if/when the Isles are terrible, the place will be a morgue, just like BC.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Quebec is a relocation destination for sure, if the NHL were to relocate an Eastern Conference team.

I don't think the league wants another Canadian based team. The NHL has been dragging their feet on Quebec for a while despite them having a stadium and fan support. If Ottawa which is 24th in attendance and playing to 87% of capacity with a bad owner can't get their act together I could see the league allowing a new owner to move to Quebec.

Reactions: Eberzal

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
same here, before the Isles won the Belmont bid, I would have said the chances of the Isles moving out of NY in the next 7 years was about 50%, after they announced the Isles won Belmont, I was surprised but still skeptical this Belmont thing would happen and I lowered those odds to around 10%, with each passing day and this Belmont thing seeming delayed by whatever, I would say those odds are growing again, if Tavares is going to leave, I am guessing those odds are going to grow significantly as this franchise is going to be at such a low and no one is going to care and they might say **** it and realize it is not worth it to build it, than a few years at Nassau and the inevitable 9,000 attendances that are going to follow, they might say enough of this franchise

I'm sorry and @Dipietro39 you can answer too. Which road blocks have come up? Where has there been an issue? Lawsuits? People's words...whom are merely expressing concern, will stop a billion (yes, billion) dollar project.

Don't just say "well this is what usually happens." That's not really the case here. I'm sorry for a month it was rainbows and gumdrops that Belmont was happening asap. But there is always opposition, and words don't really do anything. This 100x more iron clad than the Barclays agreement. Again, people paid more than you will see in 20 lifetimes for a team. Their goal is not to move it. Sorry to burst your "woe is me" bubbles

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I don't think the league wants another Canadian based team. The NHL has been dragging their feet on Quebec for a while despite them having a stadium and fan support. If Ottawa which is 24th in attendance and playing to 87% of capacity with a bad owner can't get their act together I could see the league allowing a new owner to move to Quebec.

Look at the previous Cup winners, Canada sucks at hockey

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Well that's kind of his job, to speak for the people of Floral Park. If he doesn't he won't get reelected. I personally wouldn't want a mayor with a salary of $12k, I'd wonder where else he was getting money from. Nor would I want a mayor also working for Hempstead. But that's Floral Park's problem.

The mayor obviously can't intervene but he's in a good position to rally the troops, which is pretty significant for social media.

Back to the Newsday article, the mayor and Elane Phillips say the newest modifications contradict previous parameters. I'm thinking this is what they're referencing: (RFP, page 6)
"Respondents may also propose an Alternative, which includes the Sites and land adjacent to Site A, north of Hempstead Turnpike. Additional land adjacent to Site A included in Respondents’ proposals shall total no more than seven (7) acres for a total of fifteen (15) acres including Site A."

Don't think all of this can't add up to a lawsuit that delays groundbreaking.

Lawsuits need basis....sorry, there is none. You aren't going to file a lawsuit on a "proposal." It isn't the final plan, and they are asking for everything to see what they can get.

What troops will the mayor rally? The 35 people that attended the Amazon rally? I have 5 sets of family members in the Bellereose and Floral Park area. Everyone of them want this, and most have no cares about hockey. And those that are hockey fans, are massive Ranger fans. They understand the economic benefit it provides.

Finally, Elaine Phillips is the chair of the infrastructure committee, and a member of civil service/pensions and environmental. I would hope she speaks up, as this project would affect all 3 committees. She can't squash Cuomo's plan. She is insuring to make noise to ensure Oak View provides funding for infrastructure in the area, uses NY Union workers, and the environmental review isn't a farce.

It gets sad with the negativity on here, especially when it comes from a place of fear, and not sense

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
I'm sorry and @Dipietro39 you can answer too. Which road blocks have come up? Where has there been an issue? Lawsuits? People's words...whom are merely expressing concern, will stop a billion (yes, billion) dollar project.

Don't just say "well this is what usually happens." That's not really the case here. I'm sorry for a month it was rainbows and gumdrops that Belmont was happening asap. But there is always opposition, and words don't really do anything. This 100x more iron clad than the Barclays agreement. Again, people paid more than you will see in 20 lifetimes for a team. Their goal is not to move it. Sorry to burst your "woe is me" bubbles

Not referring to any roadblocks (there haven't been any). I'm just being sceptical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad