GDT: Bronze Medal Game - February 24 - Czech Republic vs Canada

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I’m not. I’m happy with bronze. I was expecting nothing from these games

I am not either. But after the quarters fell seeding wise i am dissapointed in the bronze. Bronze from the get go was pretty much what i expected canada to challenge for.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Hockey is one of the weird Olympic sports. I mean weeks after the tournament, I'm sure players would prefer a silver. But we got to see the Canadian team happy and smiling. And a lot of countries are at least somewhat happy when the they win bronze.

Seriously, an underdog like Germany might be the ONLY time you MAY see a team happy with a silver. I hope they pull out the Gold, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them happy with Silver.
Germany won the silver yesterday. If they lose they probably will not jump around the ice, but none of them will take the medal off as we sometimes see with silver winners of a hockey tournament.

Reactions: Frannel

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Fun game, but with Canada hockey it is hard to separate oneself from the Gold or bust mentality.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I honestly start to think that the one who suggested they lost against Germany on purpose might have been onto something. Will be much better to win the bronze than losing the gold-medal after a smackdown. That would have been nasty against the Czechs, though.
Unlikely. This is likely the last major event these players will ever have and there's no way they'd intentionally pass up the opportunity for Gold. For Chris Kelly, he'd definitely want the bragging rights since he has a Cup already.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Unlikely. This is likely the last major event these players will ever have and there's no way they'd intentionally pass up the opportunity for Gold. For Chris Kelly, he'd definitely want the bragging rights since he has a Cup already.

Yeah, you all say this. And I believe you. Just wanted to get it out of the system. Thanks.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
NBC announcers are saying Poulin was prevented from moving across to make the save and while I'm not arguing he wasn't interfered with, I don't think his intent was to make a save as it was to hit the Czech player and push him away. :)

Nah you hit him with your stick to do that.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Yay! Good for Canada. They look happy to win Bronze (another reason you can tell it's not NHL players, lol).

Maybe happy because they regrouped from the shit show yesterday, didn't pack it in and came back to win today.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
A bronze medal was what I expected at the very minimum for this team, good to at least come home with some hardware. Really hope the NHL gets its act together so the best of the best can participate in 2022.

Reactions: snipes

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Just watched a short interview with Wolski and I have come around a bit. Obviously as Canadian fans we want Gold in any hockey competition and losing to Germany will sting. But for Wolski who almost had his career and ability to walk taken away it is good to see him gain some success. Bronze this time around may be the best hockey achievement for some of these cast offs and it was good to see them get some success.

Reactions: snipes

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Just watched a short interview with Wolski and I have come around a bit. Obviously as Canadian fans we want Gold in any hockey competition and losing to Germany will sting. But for Wolski who almost had his career and ability to walk taken away it is good to see him gain some success. Bronze this time around may be the best hockey achievement for some of these cast offs and it was good to see them get some success.

Gretzky said that one of his biggest regrets was losing the bronze in Nagano.

I’m glad to see these guys value the opportunity.

It’s all well and good to blow the World Cup or World Championships bronze medal game, but at the Winter Games you are part of a larger national team and that medal is valued in that way.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Good post.

Jul 6, 2016
It's better to win your last game, even if it is for the bronze, than losing your last and get a silver.... Better overall feelings.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
In team sports someone once said: "You lose silver, you win bronze".

Proud of Canada for showing up today.

What is more prestigious in hockey than an Olympic bronze medal? Just 3 things...
1. Stanley Cup
2. Olympic Gold
3. Olympic Silver.

Thats literally it.

Last edited:

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
In team sports someone once said: "You lose silver, you win bronze".

Proud of Canada for showing up today.

What is more prestigious in hockey than an Olympic bronze medal? Just 3 things...
1. Stanley Cup
2. Olympic Gold
3. Olympic Silver.

Thats literally it.

I see you point entirely, but World Junior Gold?

JaysCyYoung

Jan 1, 2009
York Region
I am not either. But after the quarters fell seeding wise i am dissapointed in the bronze. Bronze from the get go was pretty much what i expected canada to challenge for.

It’s strange how in sports the context of an outcome can be just as important as the end result, even if it’s what you could have predicted beforehand.

If anyone had come to most of us and said that this edition of Team Canada, comprised predominantly of NHL wash-outs, European league regulars, and journeymen was going to medal in this event, I suspect that the majority of people would have been satisfied. It’s only due to the loss against Germany that such an outcome can be considered mildly disappointing, even though the skill level and quality of the Germans measures up quite favourably to any Canadian playing in Europe.

Had Sweden defeated Germany and Canada ending up losing in the semis, this bronze would seem a lot less disappointing for some people. I’m just happy that the Canadian team came out hard this morning, put forth their best effort, and ultimately earned a medal for the history books. It might not be the colour that Canadians aspire to in hockey, but it’s a quality outcome given the limitations of this roster. They earned it and I’m proud of them for not laying down after yesterday’s disappointment. A bronze medal is a satisfying result for this particular group.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Bronze for Canada! Not bad for our "oldtimer B" team against other teams best players. Go Canada!

It is not even close to canada's B team. But the one thing this tournament did do is put to rest the canada wouldn't be able to medal with the B team.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Thanks for contributing to the medal count.

Anyway good job by a collection of leftovers
They represented Canada and won a bronze medal, I am extremely proud of them. No need to downplay these guys, they knew they couldn't live up to the expectations of the NHLers and played hard and won a medal. I don't understand this mindset.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Great job by Canada. Sucks as they really should have beaten Germany but considering their roster, they came together and still won a medal. For pretty much all of the players (as they aren't good enough for the NHL), this is and will always be "their moment" in hockey.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I like to see this German team go to America and play against NHL teams , maybe preseason

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->