GDT: Bronze Medal Game - February 24 - Czech Republic vs Canada

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Considering it's out like... P team (or lower) against some countries A or B teams... how upset can Canadian fans be with Bronze? Sure, it sucks that we lost to Germany. But that's also a large amount of their best players who have played together for years.

Canadians will always be upset with anything but gold in hockey.

Doesn't matter if it was a bunch of 4 year old's versus pros canadians would still be upset about it.

Not saying it is how i feel. Or that it is right. But that is how we are wired when it comes to hockey.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

Doesn't matter if it was a bunch of 4 year old's versus pros canadians would still be upset about it.
I'm not unhappy. I love my country, and I know the team wasn't great. But they're happy and I'm happy. Proud of them to bounce back like they did.

Maybe I'd be less happy if Montreal was any good this year. But they suck, so this is all I have! :P

Reactions: Sentinel

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Much better result then most media were giving canada this olympics.

Canada was expected to be where the americans ended up. No where close to a medal.

I mean Sweden , Finland and OAR had been the favorites to win medal in my eyes but this Canadian team was probably rated fourth behind those three prior to the tournament. While it wasn't expected Canada would win Gold they also weren't expected to lose to an underdog but neither was Sweden so whatever. The tournament was probably the most wide open of any tournament in recent memory which is also what makes it a ton of fun. Yeah its not the most skilled hockey but thats not allways whats important.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
The announcers were so wrong. They're getting their medals now, not after the Gold medal game.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
I watched most of the games and even if the top-end skill wasn't there, the players did very well and I see alot of them who could have roles on NHL teams. It was way more entertaining than the 2014 defensive snooze-fest. We see players actually happy to get a bronze medal, which we don't always see with the best players.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I mean Sweden , Finland and OAR had been the favorites to win medal in my eyes but this Canadian team was probably rated fourth behind those three prior to the tournament. While it wasn't expected Canada would win Gold they also weren't expected to lose to an underdog but neither was Sweden so whatever. The tournament was probably the most wide open of any tournament in recent memory which is also what makes it a ton of fun. Yeah its not the most skilled hockey but thats not allways whats important.
I had fun with this tournament.

The best team from the prelim rounds didn't even medal.

Korea almost won a hockey game.

Germany is in the Gold medal game.

I enjoyed the tournament and there's still a chance it makes an even bigger mark on history if Germany can upset OAR.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Strange that they're giving out the medals now. :S

Also I wonder if we were allowed to send them, would our World Junior team be able to win the olympic gold? :)

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Well i'm not gonna complain about the result as the Czechs just couldn't score. But the f***er who decided to call that goal back should never again come close to an international hockey game. An absolute disgrace to the game.
The previous Czech goal was suspect too no? I believe the Canadian team had a penalty coming up and they touched twice yet no whistle and then the Czechs scored therefore eliminating the penalty, but a Canadian had clearly touched the puck.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I'm very happy for the guys.

They were ridiculed all along. But very happy for them
They look very happy too. It's an Olympic medal. 4 years ago, none of these players thought they'd ever have an Olympic medal. It's something to cherish forever.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

Not saying it is how i feel. Or that it is right. But that is how we are wired when it comes to hockey.
I’m not. I’m happy with bronze. I was expecting nothing from these games

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
This is one of the few hockey tournaments that Canada hasn't been the favorite in many years, I'm satisfied with a bronze. Probably more satisfying than a silver, really.
Hockey is one of the weird Olympic sports. I mean weeks after the tournament, I'm sure players would prefer a silver. But we got to see the Canadian team happy and smiling. And a lot of countries are at least somewhat happy when the they win bronze.

Seriously, an underdog like Germany might be the ONLY time you MAY see a team happy with a silver. I hope they pull out the Gold, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them happy with Silver.

Reactions: Name Nameless

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I watched most of the games and even if the top-end skill wasn't there, the players did very well and I see alot of them who could have roles on NHL teams. It was way more entertaining than the 2014 defensive snooze-fest. We see players actually happy to get a bronze medal, which we don't always see with the best players.

Well the way the NHL is now role players can be pushed out of the league really fast . Teams rather have their own cost controlled players on ELC than random free agents coming of a bad year. Roy was a PPG player a couple of years ago and Ehrhoff the highest paid d-men in the league . A couple of years later they couldn't get an NHL job anymore and decided to give up trying .

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Well the way the NHL is now role players can be pushed out of the league really fast . Teams rather have their own cost controlled players on ELC than random free agents coming of a bad year. Roy was a PPG player a couple of years ago and Ehrhoff the highest paid d-men in the league . A couple of years later they couldn't get an NHL job anymore and decided to give up trying .

I'm talking more of guys like Chris Lee, Maxim Noreau and Eric O'Dell who all never really got their chances.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
It's been like 7-years since Roy was a PPG, but this is true.

Teams would rather have their young kids on the roster making small amounts of money than a veteran who has probably earned $1M or slightly more.

3rd and 4th liners get pushed out of the league very fast these days because of the salary cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad