Broken Sticks

mooseOAK*

I go through sticks at a much higher rate than anyone I know, 10 games on average I would guess. I am definitely not gentle with them but I was wondering if anyone has had similar experiences. The wooden sticks constantly break at the heel or blade and the composite or metal shaft one break in the middle of the shaft. Haven't tried the Synergy types because of their record of blowing up.

Anyone else have similar experiences and found a stick that lasted longer?

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
I use a Sher-Wood 5030 Coffey model and they hold up real well, I'd say over a 20 games or pickups before I notice any cracking. Granted, it all depends on your position and style of play. I'm a defenseman so I don't take too many shots per game.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I go through sticks at a much higher rate than anyone I know, 10 games on average I would guess. I am definitely not gentle with them but I was wondering if anyone has had similar experiences. The wooden sticks constantly break at the heel or blade and the composite or metal shaft one break in the middle of the shaft. Haven't tried the Synergy types because of their record of blowing up.

Anyone else have similar experiences and found a stick that lasted longer?

In about 1,000 youth/adult games ive watched, reffed or played in ive seen a total of 4 or 5 synergy type sticks break. These stick do not break easy at all..unless your a 220 pound NHL player who really abuses the stick.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I used to break sticks really regularly. I couldn't use wood at all, now that I've dropped down, the sticks seem to hold up better. I'd suggest staying with the Vector line of products.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
I have a Synergy SL the 07 model with Heatly curve, I dont have any fears of breaking it, because out of my 10-20 shots i take a game, 2 are slapshots if that, it's not that I have a bad slap shot... Oh yes I do it rises faster than a plane taking off. But also I'm more of a twisted wrister guy. If you use the Slapshot alot you might wanna go for something with a stiffer flex even though the Synergy' are still good sticks,

mooseOAK*

Thanks for the input.

Might as well try the one piece and see how that works out.

nni

Dec 29, 2005
i use the wood easton classics, and suddenly i am going through them in a matter of a few games. they used to last much longer. i am switching to a warrior shaft, so we shall see.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
1. What is your height/weight?

2. What stick are you using? (Brand, model, flex)

You could be using the wrong flex. THe best wooden sticks are Montreal and Sher-Wood IMO. I worked at a rink and we found Synergys around after games that had broken at the heel more than the shaft.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
I go through them even faster than that. I went through I think probably around 13 one piece sticks this past year and I only played in probably 35 games, maybe more, but I had a fair number of practices.

I had a 2 Vapor XXX's, a couple XXX-Lites, 2 synergy SL's, 2 Vapor XX's, a synergy ST, a warrior Dolomite just recently, and a Stealth. The stealth was the only stick that I haven't broken or had a problem with, but its the old stealth and it was a warranty replacement for one that I broke after 2 games. Worst durability by far is the XXX-Lite, followed by the XX and then the XXX. All of those, I'm hoping the Bauer One90 Stick coming out soon is going to be durable.

I'd suggest a synergy ST, i never broke it. The SL's break easily. I don't have a super powerful shot, it's accurate with a quick release but I get my sticks slashed all the time because I have the puck on my stick more than anyone else usually in my games so that's how mine break.

Go with the ST IMO and I've heard the new stealths have all these new slashguard reinforcements in the shaft and I've shot with one, it's a nice stick, it just depends what you want or what level you play also, Synergies have the best durability even over the dolomite which was supposed to be super durbale, it broke on the inside and feels like when you have a loose blade in a shaft when u hold it.

mooseOAK*

1. What is your height/weight?

2. What stick are you using? (Brand, model, flex)

You could be using the wrong flex. THe best wooden sticks are Montreal and Sher-Wood IMO. I worked at a rink and we found Synergys around after games that had broken at the heel more than the shaft.
5' 10" and 195 pounds. I have a hard shot which admittedly is more brute force than technique.

I've tried every brand of wooden stick with no success.

Bought a CCM Vector today with a stiff flex so we will see how that goes.

dbbourn

Aug 22, 2005
New Jersey
5' 10" and 195 pounds. I have a hard shot which admittedly is more brute force than technique.

I've tried every brand of wooden stick with no success.

Bought a CCM Vector today with a stiff flex so we will see how that goes.

Good luck! I'm a similar size, similar shot description, and I go through a Vector about every 10 games. Over the past 2 weeks I have broken in half 2 CCM Vectors and just can't afford it anymore. I am starting to convert the sticks that broke at the blade. Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to convert the CCM's, but I have about 6 Synergies left that broke at the blade. I just cut the blade off and flip the stick. So far the shot is a little different, but it still is pretty light and only cost me about $40, compared to the $200 before.

94now

May 24, 2004
Snow Belt, USA
Good luck! I'm a similar size, similar shot description, and I go through a Vector about every 10 games. Over the past 2 weeks I have broken in half 2 CCM Vectors and just can't afford it anymore. I am starting to convert the sticks that broke at the blade. Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to convert the CCM's, but I have about 6 Synergies left that broke at the blade. I just cut the blade off and flip the stick. So far the shot is a little different, but it still is pretty light and only cost me about $40, compared to the $200 before.

Do not flip the stick. Get Easton Synthesis or TPS R2 tapered hosel blades. They will fit. This way you'll preserve the kick point flex of your Synergy.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Which Vectors are you guys talking about? There's like 10 different versions of vectors.
The V110's for me. The V120 grip peeled and the V130's scared me off after their initial runs **** the bed and they were recalled.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
I'd stay away from that line of sticks, although they are good deals right now on closeouts of those sticks the .0 series is better. I have a friend with a 10.0 and that thing is pretty sweet. It feels light but durable, I think the 8.0 is almost as good as 10.0 but cheaper... It's also a very long stick, which is nice because I like my stick long(used to be at about 63" but recently I went down to 60").

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I will only speak from experience, I haven't had enough of with the Vector .0 line to make any statements on durability, which is the persons main focus.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Vapour XXX are strong so they wont break easy and they r also really light

I'd have to disagree due to my personal experiences with them. I had 3 Vapor XXX's but each lasted me less than 3 weeks as I'm a finesse player, lot of stickhandling and quick snapshot but no slapshots, just from the wear of other players broke 3, they couldn't stand up against strong competition. Maybe in a rec league or where there's less chippyness to a game but if you're playing higher up travel or something like that they won't last. I also had 2 XXX-Lites. I broke one the first game I had it after one period, and the other one broke 3 weeks later on a wrist shot from nearly the blueline.

dbbourn

Aug 22, 2005
New Jersey
Do not flip the stick. Get Easton Synthesis or TPS R2 tapered hosel blades. They will fit. This way you'll preserve the kick point flex of your Synergy.

The inside of the CCM Vectors 110's that I have don't seem to be the same thickness all the way around and the Synergies that I have contain some sort of reinforcement in them, which forces me to flip to the other end. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but it just doesn't seem possible and I wouldn't feel comfortable with a thinner blade given the number of sticks I go through. The last one I broke was the CCM 10.0. It was great, but the shaft broke in half after about 8 games.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
The inside of the CCM Vectors 110's that I have don't seem to be the same thickness all the way around and the Synergies that I have contain some sort of reinforcement in them, which forces me to flip to the other end. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but it just doesn't seem possible and I wouldn't feel comfortable with a thinner blade given the number of sticks I go through. The last one I broke was the CCM 10.0. It was great, but the shaft broke in half after about 8 games.

Yeah that's a taper, you need a tapered blade.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
if you can find the old easton z core shafts - they are awesome. they have silver tips where the blade goes in. they are part aluminum and part graphite.i ve had one for years, it wont break.

ive never had a 110 flex that broke quick on me. im a big guy, so 110 isnt an issue - you may not want to use such a flex, but if you want longevity its a good way to go. i also found that when you put a tapered blade into a broken synergy, those shafts seem to last a lot longer than actual synergies. i had one for about 6 months, never broke it and im a big guy who swings his stick quite a bit.

synergy 2 shafts break easy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->