Player Discussion Brodie or Tkachuk?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Given the players we have in the organization right now, I think it has to be Tkachuk. Brodie is great, but we have three other very good NHL defencemen, and a very deep pool of defensive prospects to replace him fairly soon.

We don't have another Tkachuk.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If we didn't have the defensive depth that we had, I'd say Brodie by a hair. But seeing as we don't have that many good wingers, it's Tkachuk by a hair.

Hard ****ing poll man

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Brodie is thd better player.

But Tkachuk is the more difficult player to find, as top 6 forwards with size and skill basically require tanking like the Edmonton Oilers or amazingly sly draft picks with six year runways like Jankowski or Wheeler.

Every draft OTOH seems to have one Norris quality defenseman drafted between 15 and 60. And In the Flames case we have two guys who could ostensibly replace Brodie someday - Kylington and Valimaki. Finding a Tkachuk replacement is more impossible. Teams don't trade them either.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Yeah, if Tkachuk becomes a 55-60 point winger with continued excellence defensive play and pesty behavior, without a doubt he's more valuable. I love Brodie, but organizationally we need Tkachuk more than we need Brodie.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
If you only had cap space for one of these two players, who would you keep?

Not fantasy so points don't matter. Just wondering what player is more valuable to Calgary fans.

Which one of your hands do you value more? That's essentially what you're asking us :laugh:

I'd go with Tkachuk. Between Hamonic/Hamilton/Giordano/prospects, the Flames could recover from his loss. Losing Tkachuk would severely hurt this team.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Value in a vacuum: Brodie by a little
Value of position: D>F

Team needs/biggest hole: Tkachuk by a little
Player you'd hate more playing against: Tkachuk by a lot.

Keep Tkachuk.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Tkachuk: is a literal teenager who looks by all accounts to end up as a top-line forward. Plays a multifaceted game. We get a guy with huge potential who could play for this team for the next ten years and then some. Likely could play RW, our weakest F position.

Brodie: still in his prime, but much older than Tkachuk. Last year played like a middle-pairing guy, although he's shown he's a 1D in the past, so I expect him to rebound. Excellent skater. Well-rounded game. Leadership qualities. Plays a position of strength for us.

It's definitely Tkachuk. He's almost ten years younger than Brodie and we haven't even seen him at his best.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Love Brodie, he's a solid top pairing guy.
Tkachuk has the chance to be something ridiculously special in this league.
Yeah, he's already something special. And he's 19.

Brodie is 7.5 years older and he's just easier to replace. Turns UFA in 3 years, too.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Tkachuk. Easiest poll ever.

This. Not sure how anyone can think this is close.

Even if we didn't have Gio, Hamilton and Hamonic and only had Brodie and 5 plugs, but our forward group was the exact same, Tkachuk would still be miles ahead of Brodie. And Brodie is real good.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Tkachuk scored 48 points as a rookie and didn't have a point in the playoffs. Brodie had a year or two of Norris-calibre before taking a step back last year. Not sure why you guys think it's so clear-cut. I think the only thing that creates separation here is organizational depth.

Tkachuk could be something super-special, or he could just be an early bloomer who is already close to his ceiling. Brodie could get back to his play from a few seasons ago could realistically be our best defenceman next season. Everything is possible in this life.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
It would be tough if Brodie at the top of his game.

But he's shown last year when he is not, his value goes way down and he is a softie

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Tkachuk scored 48 points as a rookie and didn't have a point in the playoffs. Brodie had a year or two of Norris-calibre before taking a step back last year. Not sure why you guys think it's so clear-cut. I think the only thing that creates separation here is organizational depth.

Tkachuk could be something super-special, or he could just be an early bloomer who is already close to his ceiling. Brodie could get back to his play from a few seasons ago could realistically be our best defenceman next season. Everything is possible in this life.

For me it's mostly about age. Last year they were about a similar level skill-wise, but Tkachuk is 19. Brodie will probably begin to decline after his contract ends, Tkachuk is probably not even scratching his potential.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Because four games is not a very large sample size? I can't explain why you're using "as a rookie" as a pejorative. For a 19 yo season, his possession numbers were downright spectacular despite undoubtedly benefitting from playing with Backlund and Frolik. IIRC the best for a rookie since we've been counting blocked shots. The only knock you can have against him is his speed and goal scoring, the latter being more average than anything else.

Also, the contractual situation between the two leaning heavily in Tkachuk's favor.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Because four games is not a very large sample size? I can't explain why you're using "as a rookie" as a pejorative. For a 19 yo season, his possession numbers were downright spectacular despite undoubtedly benefitting from playing with Backlund and Frolik. IIRC the best for a rookie since we've been counting blocked shots. The only knock you can have against him is his speed and goal scoring, the latter being more average than anything else.

Also, the contractual situation between the two leaning heavily in Tkachuk's favor.

I'm not using it as a perjorative, and I'm not sure why you would think I am. I have no interest in knocking Tkachuk, as he's a player I'm really excited about. Even if Brodie was my favourite Flame of all time, I wouldn't be taking shots at another Flames player just to protect my guy.

I'm just stating his numbers. I just think what he's shown so far is that he certainly has the potential to become a better player than Brodie is at the top of his game. But he didn't make it a slam dunk like a lot of people seem to be saying. He isn't there yet. At least, not in my opinion. Recency bias appears to be huge. Tkachuk had that wow factor last season, but Brodie had an off year. Prior to last season, Brodie was wowing us just as much.

But yeah, I voted for Tkachuk in the poll. But if you took away organizational factors, it would make me sweat a lot.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016

"Benefiting" from Backlund and Frolik is also a real toss-up. Yes, you get to play with two great top-six talents, but you are also taking the hardest matchups on the team and starting most shifts deep in your own zone. Trial by fire for a rookie, and Tkachuk passed in spades.

I'd argue that as far as all-around game goes, his was the best of any of last year's rookies - including the big guns like Matthews, Laine, and Marner. He plays like a 25-year-old.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I want to see Tkachuk without the Backlund boost and Brodie without the Wideman anchor or Gio Boost to decide completely but for now I would say Brodie.

Unless of course Tkachuk would end up in the Pacific. **** that. I'd hesitate before keeping Hamilton over him in that case.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I want to see Tkachuk without the Backlund boost and Brodie without the Wideman anchor or Gio Boost to decide completely but for now I would say Brodie.

Unless of course Tkachuk would end up in the Pacific. **** that. I'd hesitate before keeping Hamilton over him in that case.

I think it makes the most sense to put Tkachuk on the 3rd line with Bennett until he proves he can play himself from the top 9 into the top 6. After that, I'd like to skip the 3M line and see if he can play with JG and Mony.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
6774471.gif

But seriously I voted Chucky while still loving Brodie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad