Brock's Top 50 Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Brock, Vlad, Sharkie...

I am interested to hear what you guys think about Anthony Stewart vs. Patrick O'Sullivan?
I realize that according to the list that Brock made, Stewart is well back of O'Sullivan, but I am curious, when trying to look down the road, which player will fit in to their respective teams lineups. Who has the better NHL future? Points potential etc?

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
O'Sullivan is a heartbeat. O'Sullivan is turning into a leader, he didn't quit Mississauga like Spezza did. The guy has heart, grit and skill to boot. All these rumors about disturbances in the lockerroom were hardly true. He should have been a top 15 pick like expected to be.

Stewart on the other hand does not have much hockey sence and based on his play in the tourney, he has slowed down a ton from last year. He isn't hitting all that much, he isn't as good offensivly as last year and has just had three stps backwards. He is guarenteed to make the NHL though in a checking role. His hockey sence will limit himself to a 30 point forward IMO.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Diaboli said:
Yes, that's the problem. You can only go by stats. In 2001-2002, Koivu played in the fourth line for TPS in a defensive role (something J. Jokinen will never be able to do) and scored 3+4=7 in 48 games.

The next year he played in the 2nd and 3rd line (about 50-50) in the worst TPS team in 20 years. They finished 8th that season. He also missed that years WJC's due to a very bad infection in his ankle. It took almost 5 months for him to get back in to the rink. Can't be true to oneself, if you don't admit, that it would take time for anyone to be in his best form after a long injury like that.

Last year was his first as 1st line center. Though his statistics weren't mind blowing, his play was. He created a ton of scoring chances for his linemates, who just somehow seemed to always find the boards instead of the net. Also remember, that M. Koivu played for team Finland in WC and was pretty good there.

As for Jussi Jokinen, well anyone who sees this kid play, can't miss to see his potential as sniper. His vision is better than average, and he is willing to do some dirtywork too. But that's all. You talk about his success in this years European tour. He's done great. Statistically. Hasn't really always been as good as the stats show. They work both ways you know, statistics I mean. But that's just another way of showing how good he is. Won't do anything in the first 50 minutes, and then comes from nowhere and decides the game for his team.

Mikko just can do more than Jussi. That's no knock on Jussi IMO.

EDIT: The European tour IS NOT filled with NHL-stars. Only game where The Finns have played against more than a few checking-line players from NHL, was the game against Russia in Rosno Cup. Actually the European tour isn't really an important tournament. We've won it 6 times in a row now, and even we don't give it much credit here. I think that'll give you some idea of its respect.

Fair enough...and perhaps "stars" was not the correct word to use....but there were quite a few NHLers playing, perhaps not all stars though ;)

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
JasonMacIsaac said:
O'Sullivan is a heartbeat. O'Sullivan is turning into a leader, he didn't quit Mississauga like Spezza did. The guy has heart, grit and skill to boot. All these rumors about disturbances in the lockerroom were hardly true. He should have been a top 15 pick like expected to be.

Stewart on the other hand does not have much hockey sence and based on his play in the tourney, he has slowed down a ton from last year. He isn't hitting all that much, he isn't as good offensivly as last year and has just had three stps backwards. He is guarenteed to make the NHL though in a checking role. His hockey sence will limit himself to a 30 point forward IMO.

Well I do agree on O Sullivan. He'd by my choice for sure as well.

But I think you underrate Stewart. You can't go exclusively by the WJC's so far, cause he hasn't had a great tourney. In the OHL this season, I'd say he's actually taken a step forward. He's begun to be more consistent with his scoring and he's taken on a much bigger leadership role with Kingston. I don't think he's going to be a first line player, but I could definitely see him being an excellent second liner, 50 points, 60 in a career season. He's got great hands, he skates very well and I think the NHL will bring about more consistency in his efforts.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Brock said:
Well I do agree on O Sullivan. He'd by my choice for sure as well.

But I think you underrate Stewart. You can't go exclusively by the WJC's so far, cause he hasn't had a great tourney. In the OHL this season, I'd say he's actually taken a step forward. He's begun to be more consistent with his scoring and he's taken on a much bigger leadership role with Kingston. I don't think he's going to be a first line player, but I could definitely see him being an excellent second liner, 50 points, 60 in a career season. He's got great hands, he skates very well and I think the NHL will bring about more consistency in his efforts.
That may be the difference between you and I. I don't feel Stewart is a great skater, he has a decent top end speed but his acceleration is piss poor. He reminds me of Rasmussen so much it isn't funny.

X-SHARKIE

Puckhead said:
Brock, Vlad, Sharkie...

I am interested to hear what you guys think about Anthony Stewart vs. Patrick O'Sullivan?
I realize that according to the list that Brock made, Stewart is well back of O'Sullivan, but I am curious, when trying to look down the road, which player will fit in to their respective teams lineups. Who has the better NHL future? Points potential etc?

It's pretty safe to say that O'Sullivan has the bigger upside of the two but Stewart is likely the safer choice.

Stewart won't likely ever be your go to guy when you need a big goal, but he'll likely be on that line. He's a big physical kid that I would love to have on my team.

I was a big fan of Stewart before the 2003 draft, in fact I was mad when the Sharks took Bernier over him. Now i'm fine with the pick because I see Bernier turning his game around in a fast, defensively reliable player on top of his raw skill and playmaking mind.

Anywho.. Anthony Stewart IMO is a top 50 prospect, he'll step into the NHL likely when the season starts up. In his prime he'll likely pot 50 points, because of his size, willingness to use it, speed, and hands along with his finishing ability.

If I had a choice to add Anthony Stewart or Patrick O'Sullivan to the Sharks core of prospects, I would have a tough time taking O'Sullivan over Stewart my self.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Puckhead said:
Brock, Vlad, Sharkie...

I agree with the other guys that O'Sullivan is a nicer prospect. I'd pick him if I was building talent. I might pick Stewart if I was rounding out a lineup looking for a specialty player.

However, Stewart is more of a rarity.

If both reached their potential, he could end up being a more sought after player, IMO. He's a more skilled Artukhin. And Artukhin is very intriguing just on the basis he can make life miserable for you.

O'Sullivan and Stewart don't make for a good comparison. It's not really Stewart VS O'Sullivan, it's Stewart OR O'Sullivan.

There are teams in this league who have been looking for any kind of tough, relatively talented forward for years. On the other hand O'Sullivan is exactly what the doctor ordered for Minny.

Despite the knocks on O'Sullivan's attitude earlier, I think he's the safer prospect in this respect. I don't agree with Jason that Stewart's skating is piss-poor but yeah, I've always found his skating was a tad overrated in various reports.

Points? O'Sullivan is probably an 80 point guy, Stewart a 50 point guy. But I don't believe much in point predictions because the whole NHL mutates over time. Suffice it to say I think O'Sullivan can be a good point producer at the NHL level.

If the league finds ways to open up the game like I think it will, all these points projections we make are going to be useless when we get a lot more 100 point players and maybe some 120, 130, 140+.

O'Sullivan is a gutsy little player with a lot of talent. I don't think he was ignored exclusively because of bad attitude concerns. He was in an amazing draft year and people went with guys they believed in. I don't agree with all the choices. I had him 20th overall before that draft, I think.

There will always be teams taking a flyer on players such as Hugh Jessiman. Some of these will pan and some will not. This is business as usual in the NHL. I also see Steve Bernier has a very challenging project for instance.

As for Stewart, I think if he develops he will surprise a bit. Could be a factor in this league, have one or two hot playoffs, be a headache for the opposition and be one of the guys all the teams ask about. I do think O'Sullivan is progressing more nicely but then I always saw Stewart as a long term project. I question his smarts and that's not something I usually like in a player but when you've got a bull with a very acceptable skill level, you make an exception. I was diappointed when I first saw him after reading the word "Bertuzzi" thrown around but over time, I still like what I see.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Man, people are underating Stewart. The Kid does have 1st line potential. It is doubtful he'll be that good but there is a chance. I see Stewart as a guy who can put up 50-60 poinys each year. Even if doesn't live up to the hype he'll be a great 3rd liner. U really can't compare O'Sullivan with Stewart. Stewart is less talented but still great skill and with a huge frame. Man, him and Horton are going to be sick.

bruins4777*

*claps for top 10 list*
*boos for rest of list outside of olesz*

X-SHARKIE

Vlad The Impaler said:
There will always be teams taking a flyer on players such as Hugh Jessiman. Some of these will pan and some will not. This is business as usual in the NHL. I also see Steve Bernier has a very challenging project for instance.

Jessiman isn't worth the high pick the Rangers spent on him so far. He hasn't progressed well, and I personally don't think he is ready to be signed and thrown into the AHL my self...ALthough it was still early this season before he got hurt

I was down on Bernier last year, but man has he come around. He is the only Wildcat under larue's strict system to have more then a point a game, not to mention his PIM's, his plus/minus and Hits are all among league leaders. He's equally a good playmaker and a sniper, his skating has improved dramatically with himself getting into condition, very trim now, looks alot quicker! His defensive game has really improved the most though. He no longer floats at the top of the circle or swoops in the play for a little bit before going back out near the blue line.
I love it now how he goes all the way below the circles and stops, then starts again and he shows a great commitment to the defensive game.
He can still take a over a game offensively, even with the best Q players on his team Bernier was the best player on his team game 1 vs the Russians in the re-max game, and he played solid the next night even though it was his 5th game in 5 nights. He also has had the Bertuzzi take thrown around him by scouts this year according to Matt MacInnis who sees many Wildcat games live.

Overall I think this is a case were a player listens to the coaches and the staff he was drafted by, and really works hard at those areas. Berniers numbers aren't going to approach his 101 point 17 year old season. But as a player, he has improved ten fold over the past two years and now looks to be what you could call...A safe prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad