Brock's Top 50 Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Well I used to do this a couple times a year, back in the day on these boards. But I got tired of doing both the top 50 lists and my mock drafts every year. So i decided to cut these out and go primarily with the mock drafts. But with no NHL, and the idea of mock drafts essentially cut out. And with me struggling to find things to do with my University holiday break, I thought I'd go back to my roots and put forth a top 50 prospect list. I've worked on this for the past week basically. I've given my indepth thoughts on the top 10, rather then the entire top 50, because quite frankly on my University break I couldn't find the motivation to simply write big blurbs on all 50 of these players. So I'm going to say, if you have any questions, or want to ask why I see that player that high, or why he's above this player, just ask and then I'll answer, rather then writing huge blurbs on every player.

1. Alexander Ovechkin
Possibly the obvious choice for the top prospect in the NHL. Ovechkin looks to be the perfect NHL specimen. Quick, powerful and a more complete player than Kovalchuk. Having a great year in Russia, as before leaving for the WJC’s, Ovechkin sat 6th in RSL scoring.

2. Kari Lehtonen
The debates are endless. Who’s better Kari Lehtonen or Marc Andre Fleury? Some can argue Fleury, but I will argue Lehtonen. Since coming to North America, he’s become one of the best backstops in the AHL at an early age. He’s ready for the NHL, once it decides to begin again.

3. Eyvgeni Malkin
Playing second fiddle to Ovechkin, Malkin himself has had a great season over in Russia. Before leaving for the WJC’s, Malkin sat 8th in RSL scoring. These two kids are very special players.

4. Marc Andre Fleury
Fleury is an excellent goalie and should prove to be a very competent NHL goaltender. Simply gets a bad rap for his performance at the world juniors last year, after an outstanding performance the year before. The confidence took a hit, but Fleury is here to stay.

5. Ryan Suter
Another common debate, Suter vs. Phaneuf as the top defenseman prospect in the NHL. Obviously, I’m on Suter’s side. I just love Suter’s defensive game. He’s calm, cooled and collected and never seems to make a mistake. But he’s also got an offensive game that’s waiting to be unleashed, he can skate, he can rush the puck up the ice. I think he’s going to surprise a lot of people at the World Juniors, with his offense.

6. Dion Phaneuf
The mean and vicious Phaneuf. Some argue that’s he completely pro ready and could step right into the NHL and be ready to take control. I completely disagree. I think that Phaneuf is going to go through a period where he might find the transition difficult, much like Mike Komisarek did. I like Phaneuf, but I still see him making mistakes defensively, whether it be going for the big hit, taking him out of play, making poor decisions with the puck. He seems to have brain blunders on the ice occasionally. But then again, I could be wrong and Phaneuf will step into the NHL and have no problem. Either way, I still take Suter.

7. Jeff Carter
Carter is the perfect blend of size and skill. He’s quick and his puck handling ability is top notch. And while he’s got a big body, he still remains mostly a finesse forward. That isn’t a knock against him however, as Carter is fine just the way he is.

8. Zach Parise
After exploding at the World Juniors last year, Parise was able to cement himself in the upper echelon of the prospect community. He’s continued his solid collegiate career into the AHL this season, as he’s been among the top of rookie scoring leaders all season. Step one of the transition complete.

9. Hannu Toivonen
Toivonen is the third and final goalie prospect inside my top 10. He’s closing the gap between himself and Lehtonen for reign over the Finnish goaltending future. Either way that country is set in net, however. Toivonen has also become one of the top netminders in the AHL at an early age.

10. Dustin Brown
Cracking the NHL last year was a big achievement for Brown. Even though he wasn’t put into a scoring role, Brown still worked hard to remain in the line up. His overall game saw great improvement. However this year in the AHL, Brown is back in a primary scoring role and he’s excelling to the 10th degree, among the AHL’s scoring leaders with a fantastic Manchester team.

11. Milan Michalek
12. Niklas Kronwall
13. Fedor Tyutin
14. Rostislav Olesz
15. Cam Barker
16. Maxime Ouellet
17. Thomas Vanek
18. Patrick O Sullivan
19. Mikko Koivu
20. Alvaro Montoya
21. Ryan Getzlaf
22. Mark Stuart
23. Mike Richards
24. Alexander Steen
25. Braydon Coburn
26. Anthony Stewart
27. Denis Grebeshkov
28. Henrik Lundqvist
29. Timofei Shishkanov
30. Danny Fritsche
31. Alexander Perezhogin
32. Anton Babchuk
33. David Leneveu
34. Scottie Upshall
35. Brent Seabrook
36. Keith Ballard
37. Ray Emery
38. Eric Fehr
39. Rob Schremp
40. Lauri Tukonen
41. Ilya Bryzgalov
42. Brent Burns
43. Noah Welch
44. Corey Perry
45. Cam Ward
46. Ryan Whitney
47. Chris Higgins
48. Ryan Miller
49. Alexander Polushin
50. Ryan Kesler

Just Missed: Loui Eriksson, Alexei Kaigorodov, Alexander Radulov, Kiril Koltsov, Steve Bernier, Marek Svatos, Lukas Krajicek, Jiri Hudler, Carlo Colaiacovo, Pascal Leclaire, Yann Denis, Josh Harding

Just a few thoughts on questions I expect to get right off the bat, so maybe I can answer them now instead of later...lol

- Niklas Kronwall is so high simply because I love the guy and I think he's an oustanding prospect, completely underrated. Mckeens had him at around 17 i believe in their latest ranking, so I have him even higher. He's great offensively, he's solid defensively, he's underrated physically (most people see him as only an offensive player and don't realize his all around game). I think he's going to be a special player.

- Brent Burns is also high because of how well his conversion back to defense has seemed to work. He's putting up great offensive stats, and that's very promising. Let's not forget that we are dealing with a 6'4, 200lb defenseman, who's extremely quick, a great puck handler, has a cannon shot, can take the body, and has the potential to be solid defensively. Sounds like a stud defenseman prospect doesn't it?

- Ryan Miller and Ryan Whitney are so low because I'm going to be honest and I'm not just a fan of them. Miller has been dominating the AHL for too long, and he's failed at his attempts at the NHL so far. Even when I've seen him play in the AHL, I've never come away impressed by his qualities. I personally think he's too slow for the NHL game. And Whitney, well he's a big offensive defenseman, who's not performing offensively or defensively. Not really something I look for in a player.

Let it begin... :D

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Great List

I love how you got Kronwall up high, he deserves it. Basically was a top 4 guy as a rookie before he was hurt, or atleast he played as good and as solid as one, definitly going to be a top 2-3 dman for us in the near future.

I see no love anymore for grigorenko? thats respectable since he hasent rebounded from the injury

I like Seeing babchuk and seabrook on the list, i got them on a keeper team of mine and im glad to see someone's giving them some kind of recognition

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Marshall said:
Thanks for taking the time out to create and post the list, Brock. Did you have any hard cut-off numbers as to who was and who wasn't a prospect?

Enjoyable read, thanks for sharing.

Ah great question, I forgot to mention that.

I set it at 40 games and under played. Essentially under a half an NHL season. Thus why some guys like Brown and Burns are included and guys like Horton, Vermette, Gleason are not.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Barnaby said:
Ryan Miller over Henrik Lunqvist?

Suter over Phaneuf is a nice choice, and I like Olesz getting some credit.

You asking why Lundqvist is above Miller? Cause Lundqvist is actually quite a bit higher then Miller, in the late 20's, with Miller barely cracking the list.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
SneakerPimp82 said:
Marek Schwarz, any reason he didn't even make your "just missed" list?

There are a lot of quality netminders out there, as well as quality prospects. Some great players left off that list. Schwarz, after falling in the draft big time, I think needs to prove to us that the NHL scouts were wrong about him, and he certainly hasn't done that in the WHL this season (save the last few weeks heading into the WJC's). Maybe with a solid World Juniors, and heading back to the WHL to turn around a season, would seriously help him.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Nice to see Olesz where he belongs at the top 15 of a list. Finally getting some respect after scoring a ton in the Czech league this past month as well as having a good Karjala cup and a good start to the WJC. :handclap: :handclap:
Surprised to see Kronvall that high though. He's good but not that good I thought.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Vlad The Impaler said:
Suter is the new Komisarek.

Oh Vlad...Phaneuf is the new Komisarek. ;)

We'll talk about this later, enjoy this afternoon/early evening's game.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Brock said:
You asking why Lundqvist is above Miller? Cause Lundqvist is actually quite a bit higher then Miller, in the late 20's, with Miller barely cracking the list.

My bad... I didn't see Lunqvist on the list... :innocent:

Like the list even better now ;)

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
people who say nice list likely have there favorite prospect ranked rather high for their standards on this list, those who say bad list are the opposite... Bad list:)

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
TML said:
No Colaiacovo in the top 50? Where would you of rated him? 51-60?

As one of the guys who just missed, Cola would have been in the 51-60 range yes.

I still like Cola and I think he's going to become an excellent NHL defenseman. But the prospect pool is so large right now, that it's tough to crack a top 50 list, and that's why Cola is having a tough time racking the more recent top 50 lists which have come out.

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Really like yourlist, thanks for posting it.

I just have one little problem. Actually, I have the same problem with every top list I've seen. How come does everybody have Tukonen on their list, but never Petteri Nokelainen? I see them being pretty close to each other. Tukonen having a bit higher ceiling on offensive production, but Nokelainen being the better two-way forward.

I'd also like to remind every one, that Tukonen has scored 3+4=7 in 27 games and Nokelainen has scored 7+2=9 in 31 games in the FEL this season. Nokelainen has also been better in the junior tournaments this season IMHO.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Leachmeister2000 said:
Pretty good list, where's Andrei Kostitsyn?

I should have added Kostitsyn to my "just missed list", I forgot to put him in there. He was definitely one of the guys very close to making it. But quite frankly, I just think that there are some better prospects out there currnetly. Andrei has some great potential, but he's still realizing it.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Diaboli said:
Really like yourlist, thanks for posting it.

I just have one little problem. Actually, I have the same problem with every top list I've seen. How come does everybody have Tukonen on their list, but never Petteri Nokelainen? I see them being pretty close to each other. Tukonen having a bit higher ceiling on offensive production, but Nokelainen being the better two-way forward.

I'd also like to remind every one, that Tukonen has scored 3+4=7 in 27 games and Nokelainen has scored 7+2=9 in 31 games in the FEL this season. Nokelainen has also been better in the junior tournaments this season IMHO.

It basically comes down to the times I've seen Tukonen play, and how he has impressed me more then Nokelainen.

A question for you then, where does Sean Bergenheim fit into that equation, with Tukonen, Nokkelainen and Korpikoski? Personally I'd have him behind Tukonen, and infront of Nokkelainen, what do you think?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Top Shelf said:
Wondering where Alexander Picard is on your list - top 75, 100?

Picard wasn't someone I seriously considered for the list, but I do like him as a player. He'd probably be someone who you'd find in the 75-100 area if I were to expand the list further.

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
zetterberg40 said:
Great List

I love how you got Kronwall up high, he deserves it. Basically was a top 4 guy as a rookie before he was hurt, or atleast he played as good and as solid as one, definitly going to be a top 2-3 dman for us in the near future.

I see no love anymore for grigorenko? thats respectable since he hasent rebounded from the injury

I like Seeing babchuk and seabrook on the list, i got them on a keeper team of mine and im glad to see someone's giving them some kind of recognition

Great list Brock. Great to see you have Kronwall so high on there.

As for Grigorenko, he shouldn't be there because of his injury (and he's not there). If he proves he's close to what he was before the accident then he should be considered. He finally scored a goal. About time :) Here's hoping he's signed to play for Grand Rapids next year.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Vlad The Impaler said:
Suter is the new Komisarek.

How come you dislike Suter so much Vladdy?

I mean, I see Suter as one of the most failsafe prospects out there, if not the most. He's an excellent skater, hard nosed, excellent defensively. The only question mark is how far his offensive game will progress. I personally see him as a much safer bet for the NHL then Phaneuf, although both are relatively sure bets.

Everytime I've seen Suter, he seems like he is a man among boys on the ice. He's always thinking the play, one steap ahead of everyone else. He's making the right plays infront of the crease, he doesn't make mistakes with his passes (very cautious), he rarely loses men in the offensive zone. He's also a leader.

He's also a completely different player then Mike Komisarek, so I really don't see how you can compare the two, other then the fact you believe that they are both two overrated american defensive prospects.

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Brock said:
It basically comes down to the times I've seen Tukonen play, and how he has impressed me more then Nokelainen.

A question for you then, where does Sean Bergenheim fit into that equation, with Tukonen, Nokkelainen and Korpikoski? Personally I'd have him behind Tukonen, and infront of Nokkelainen, what do you think?

That's a tough one. I personally see Bergenheim's ceiling being higher than Tukonen or Nokelainen, but on the other hand, I see his downside being worse than either of the two earlier mentioned. I'd probably list him behind both them, just because of the possible downfall.

But hey, HF has Tukonen 7.5B or was it 7.0B and Nokelainen only 6.0 or something like that, so what do I know :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad