Value of: Brock Nelson

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Would the Isles be interested in Hjalmarsson?

We should have been when De Haan and Boychuk got injured. lol

From my POV Hjalmarsson wouldn't be my first target or second but the second your options become limited he starts looking much better.

Now that being said if you could sweeten the pot like Nelson, Greiss(cap dump) and a 2nd For Hjalmarsson(and if you want to dump your backup to us deal) I would do that without thinking

Last edited:
Reactions: IODCPiper

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
What about something around Nelson and Greiss for Howard or something around Nelson for Dekeyser?

Nelson for Dekeyser would be something I could get around. With Cholowsky looking like the same type of player - with a higher ceiling - that would be great.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Not trading Nelson, a sure 20 goal scorer, for a couple of future magic beans that Snow is unlikely to trade.

He went into this yr's TDL technically tied for the last WC and with two 1sts and two 2nds. He still has both 1sts and 2nds,refusing to part with any of them despite his needs on defense and in goal.
How is Nelson much different than Vanek?
A sure 20 goal scorer who is useless otherwise.
Trade the guy while he still has value. You don't win in the playoffs with these types. Big soft Finesse forwards.

Reactions: PWJunior

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Nelson with a 3rd can probably fetch what you're looking for. Hutton was mentioned...Brodin is also interesting
Not a chance Nelson and a 3rd, or even a second, will net Brodin. Wild have plenty of ineffective, soft, passionless forwards . They don't need to trade for another one.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Nelson for Dekeyser would be something I could get around. With Cholowsky looking like the same type of player - with a higher ceiling - that would be great.
neither is a great player and each has flaws but at least they both need a new start

Nelson does have a great shot and dekeyser plays a position we need even if he's really only a 5 or 6. its a fair trade, your enigma for my enigma

just remind Jeff Blashill that Nelson plays better when hes pissed off, have somebody piss on his skates before every game and you might have an all star

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
How is Nelson much different than Vanek?
A sure 20 goal scorer who is useless otherwise.
Trade the guy while he still has value. You don't win in the playoffs with these types. Big soft Finesse forwards.
I will agree that the streaky Nelson should use his size more, should be putting up better then 20 goals a yr.

Nelson is the team whipping boy. The underachiever some fans are so unhappy with that they ignore/mock any positives, like his 20 goals a season.

Use Nelson as the key trade chip for a #4D? Great. I would be all for that.

Trade Nelson for a 3rd pairing D or a 2nd+3rd? No thanks.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I will agree that the streaky Nelson should use his size more, should be putting up better then 20 goals a yr.

Nelson is the team whipping boy. The underachiever some fans are so unhappy with that they ignore/mock any positives, like his 20 goals a season.

Fair enough.
One of the main reason why I think he should be dealt is for salary cap reasons. Another is to gain draft picks. I don't think his value gets you much in return. I'm not willing to take on a bad contract either. Plus we could free up cap space and get younger.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Fair enough.
One of the main reason why I think he should be dealt is for salary cap reasons. Another is to gain draft picks. I don't think his value gets you much in return. I'm not willing to take on a bad contract either. Plus we could free up cap space and get younger.
Nelson is 26, two yrs from unrestricted free agency and the isles are not in caphell.
So, I do not understand the need to dump him unless the deal fills a current team need.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Nelson is 26, two yrs from unrestricted free agency

Since this year is over, he is a UFA next summer(2019) assuming he only signs a 1 year deal. I have a feeling if the Islanders don't sign him before July 1 this year he will just accept his qualifying offer.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

If one team wants picks for a D and one team wants Nelson for picks, I can see them trading him to recoup the picks, but not unless they already have a D lined up.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
If one team wants picks for a D and one team wants Nelson for picks, I can see them trading him to recoup the picks, but not unless they already have a D lined up.
I see this as the most likely scenario, Nelson for picks a la Shaw/Eller

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
They better be very late picks. Actually i don't want Nelson near our team. He's well over paid and not very good.We have enough belove average 3rd liners.

But overpaid bottom pairing D men are fine?

Like we both watched the same guy lugging around cement blocks all season right?

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Probably the same value of Lars Eller and Andrew Shaw:2 second round picks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad