Value of: Brock Nelson

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Does McCann play center?

Ya he played most of this year as our 3C, the knock on him is faceoffs and soft play but he does have a fair bit of speed, can play PK and pretty sound defensively. We would be using Nelson as a 4C possibly if Borgstrom is kept as 3C. Boughner seems to like him so he may not be available unless in a package for a top 4 D

If Nelson is looking for anything over $3.5 million then we probably wouldn't be interested since that's a lot of $$$ for a 4C even if Borgstrom's ELC balances it out.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Ya he played most of this year as our 3C, the knock on him is faceoffs and soft play but he does have a fair bit of speed, can play PK and pretty sound defensively. We would be using Nelson as a 4C possibly if Borgstrom is kept as 3C. Boughner seems to like him so he may not be available unless in a package for a top 4 D

If Nelson is looking for anything over $3.5 million then we probably wouldn't be interested since that's a lot of $$$ for a 4C even if Borgstrom's ELC balances it out.

I said this before but any team looking at Nelson should view him as a top 6 winger. Anything else is a waste of capspace

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I said this before but any team looking at Nelson should view him as a top 6 winger. Anything else is a waste of capspace

Ya we could use him there, although we have some options with younger cheaper players but also losing McCann to get him would just create another hole for our Center depth. Just curious of his value more or less. I think Boughner was happy with McCann's progression during the year, just needs work on faceoffs.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
One used up Karl Alzner and a couple picks

please
They better be very late picks. Actually i don't want Nelson near our team. He's well over paid and not very good.We have enough belove average 3rd liners.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
They better be very late picks. Actually i don't want Nelson near our team. He's well over paid and not very good.We have enough belove average 3rd liners.
No chance of an Alzner for Nelson swap.
Isles like mobile D.
Alzner with his lousy skating and fat contract, would be one of the last defensemen in the league that the isles would pursue.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Nelson had some pretty good chemistry with Larkin at the World Championships last year, I would like to see him in a Red Wings' uniform. Ericsson or Jensen + PIT 3rd.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Nelson had some pretty good chemistry with Larkin at the World Championships last year, I would like to see him in a Red Wings' uniform. Ericsson or Jensen + PIT 3rd.

What about something around Nelson and Greiss for Howard or something around Nelson for Dekeyser?

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

He's scored 20g the past 4 seasons playing primarily (this whole season) on the 3rd line. He would have been 3rd in goals scored on the Habs without factoring in added minutes. How many 20g scorers are there in the league making $2.5m?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
He's scored 20g the past 4 seasons playing primarily (this whole season) on the 3rd line. He would have been 3rd in goals scored on the Habs without factoring in added minutes. How many 20g scorers are there in the league making $2.5m?

To me Brock Nelson is the guy you get if you don't want to pay 6M+ for somebody like Kane or JVR. I mean sure those guys probably will score more but in the right situation Nelson can be a 25-30 goal guy at a fraction of the price

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
No chance of an Alzner for Nelson swap.
Isles like mobile D.
Alzner with his lousy skating and fat contract, would be one of the last defensemen in the league that the isles would pursue.
Oh i agree with you about Alzner. I just don't want Nelson.He does nothing for our team.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Had he played on the Habs this season i doubt he would have hit 10 goals.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Oh i agree with you about Alzner. I just don't want Nelson.He does nothing for our team.
And the slow skating Alzner who has a remaining 4 yrs/$13m + does nothing for our team.
Habs imo would love to dump that bad contract and it would not take anything close to a 20 goal scorer to land him.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Had he played on the Habs this season i doubt he would have hit 10 goals.

Nelson is amazingly consistent, he does have a very good shot and little else. Still, he is deadly when he has the time to get it off uncontested. He only had 19 this year playing 3rd line minutes and some #2PP. He needs a new deal, he won't break the bank on it though.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Why not just trade Nelson for like two second rd picks or a 2 & 3

From an Islanders perspective we need(and this assumes we resign Tavares, which is a huge assumption)

1) Top 1,2 and/or 4 defensemen
2) 3rd Line Center
3) Goalie

Until we get 1 + 2 fixed, I am keeping Nelson as insurance. if we somehow can fill those voids other ways I would look to Dump Nelson to clear capspace for best offer available

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
For what purpose? To gather more draft capital to make another move like putting together a heavy futures package for a top-4 d-man? I'd be down with that.
How about to use to trade for a friggin starting goalie?
Or Maybe to actually draft something of value. Like a ton of defensemen
We could really use the cap space. Maybe Fritz can step it up or how about Ho Sang?
Can't be any worse than Nelson.
Not to mention for those who think Nelson isn't replaceable just take a look at how Shero does business.
Kyle PALMIERI?
Johansson?
Forwards like Nelson are pretty expendable.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

In a Nelson/Alzner swap, I think 99.99% of HFBoards would say "well over paid and not very good" about the player that isn't Brock Nelson.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Why not just trade Nelson for like two second rd picks or a 2 & 3
Not trading Nelson, a sure 20 goal scorer, for a couple of future magic beans that Snow is unlikely to trade.

He went into this yr's TDL technically tied for the last WC and with two 1sts and two 2nds. He still has both 1sts and 2nds,refusing to part with any of them despite his needs on defense and in goal.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Nelson is expendable to the Islanders because he needs to be in a top 6 position to get full potential out of him, and the Islanders need more of a bottom 6 type forward (which should come at a lower cost than Nelson). Trade those 20-25g for draft picks and bring in someone with solid two way play that is good taking faceoffs at half the price. The 3rd line was a black hole for the Islanders because it wasn't built to serve any needed purpose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad