Brock Boeser vs (2017-eligible) Owen Tippett

Rule123456789

Aug 1, 2016
There is a possibility Vancouver could drop and be in the range to draft a player like Owen Tippet. Not saying they are going to!!, but if they did who would you consider to be the better prospect?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Happy with Brock but gotta go with Tippet here. He is tracking better with an insane shot

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Both would be nice. If we pick around 5th-7th then I would give Tippett a long, hard look. What he's doing in junior on his team is nothing short of dominant.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yes I would consider Tippett at 3 or 4 right now considering our lack of goal scorers in our pipeline.
Tippett quite easily for me and I love Boeser.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I would love Tippett but we need a C far more than yet another scoring winger.

Yeah, yeah, BPA. Let's just hope we draft high enough where Patrick, Hischier or Vilardi are the BPA. I really, really want a future 1C.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I consider Tippet to be the better prospect @ 17 then Boeser

I have no problem picking Tippett if he's BPA, Nothing wrong with having 2 great RW prospects. However, I prefer Tolvanen to Tippett.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I have faith in Craig Button!....gotta be Boeser imo....NCAA Div. I hockey is far tougher than the OHL....and what Boeser did as an 18-year old at UND is right up there with Toewes and Parise.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I have faith in Craig Button!....gotta be Boeser imo....NCAA Div. I hockey is far tougher than the OHL....and what Boeser did as an 18-year old at UND is right up there with Toewes and Parise.

Thats not a proper comparrison. How does USHL compare to OHL is what people should be looking at. Theres a good chance Tippett makes his NHL team by next year, how does that compare with NCHC?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

FYI Button is also pretty high on Tippett

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Any posters watch the Top Prospects Game last night?.....doubt Tippett is still there when we pick unfortunately, but a kid like Vilardi in the middle wouldn't look too bad.

JA

Any posters watch the Top Prospects Game last night?.....doubt Tippett is still there when we pick unfortunately, but a kid like Vilardi in the middle wouldn't look too bad.
I think Vilardi will be chosen ahead of Tippett. His main deficiency is his skating ability, but he is a brilliant player who is powerful down low and plays a creative offensive game. If he was quicker, he would have been a more productive player. Early this season, he was producing in spite of his lack of foot speed.

Tippett is one of those players whose hockey IQ has been questioned. When he isn't scoring, he isn't very effective at anything else. He could very well be a project in that his coach at the NHL level might not trust his defensive ability and so he would have to spend time in the minors to develop that side of his game. He has an elite shot and elite speed, but he severely needs to round out his game.

MissionCanucksFan

Mar 2, 2014
Boeser
Tippet
Virtanen

looks like we would have our RW set for the next 10 years

would still like to draft a guy like Mittlestadt to eventually become a good C to help out Bo. Lots to like about this kid too

if we can get another late 1st, I would love to get a skill Swede like Lias Andersson and with our 2nd select Marcus Patterson. He survived his 1st year of SHL as an 18 years old and should have success at next years WJC

MissionCanucksFan

Mar 2, 2014
I think Vilardi will be chosen ahead of Tippett. His main deficiency is his skating ability, but he is a brilliant player who is powerful down low and plays a creative offensive game. If he was quicker, he would have been a more productive player. Early this season, he was producing in spite of his lack of foot speed.

Tippett is one of those players whose hockey IQ has been questioned. When he isn't scoring, he isn't very effective at anything else. He could very well be a project in that his coach at the NHL level might not trust his defensive ability and so he would have to spend time in the minors to develop that side of his game. He has an elite shot and elite speed, but he severely needs to round out his game.
when Bo was drafted he wasn't scouted as a fast skater neither but 4 years later, he seems to have made progress in that area. Hard not to think everyone else can work on their weaknesses like Bo has.

JA

when Bo was drafted he wasn't scouted as a fast skater neither but 4 years later, he seems to have made progress in that area. Hard not to think everyone else can work on their weaknesses like Bo has.
To give some context: prior to the season, Gabriel Vilardi was among the favorites to challenge Patrick for first overall. He possesses a superb offensive skill set, is also a 6'3'' centerman, and is eleven months younger than Patrick. He is a terrific playmaker, has immense strength as well as elite vision, and can shoot the puck very well. His puck retention skills are terrific, and he never gives up on a play. His reach, size, and strength allow him to comfortably shield the puck.

His appendectomy resulted in the loss of a month of his season, and his lack of speed has held him back from being as effective as he should be. He has also played most of his current season the wing, although he is a natural centerman.

In the last six games with the Windsor Spitfires, he has two points; he has been pointless in five of his last six games. Before that, he had 17 goals, 34 points in 24 games -- among the highest points-per-game averages (1.42 points per game) of the 2017 draft class. He had a hat trick on January 13, 2017 and has been cold since. He was one of the best players at the Top Prospects game, however, where he created several opportunities but only scored one goal.

If he was faster, I think he could have made a push to be in the top tier of this draft class. He possesses great upside.

Last edited by a moderator:

MissionCanucksFan

Mar 2, 2014
To give some context: prior to the season, Gabriel Vilardi was among the favorites to challenge Patrick for first overall. He possesses a superb offensive skill set, is also a 6'3'' centerman, and is eleven months younger than Patrick. He is a terrific playmaker, has immense strength as well as elite vision, and can shoot the puck very well. His puck retention skills are terrific, and he never gives up on a play. His reach, size, and strength allow him to comfortably shield the puck.

His appendectomy resulted in the loss of a month of his season, and his lack of speed has held him back from being as effective as he should be. He has also played most of his current season the wing, although he is a natural centerman.

In the last six games with the Windsor Spitfires, he has two points; he has been pointless in five of his last six games. Before that, he had 17 goals, 34 points in 24 games -- among the highest points-per-game averages (1.42 points per game) of the 2017 draft class. He had a hat trick on January 13, 2017 and has been cold since. He was one of the best players at the Top Prospects game, however, where he created several opportunities but only scored one goal.

If he was faster, I think he could have made a push to be in the top tier of this draft class. He possesses great upside.
Amen. ..I admit I don't follow Vilardi so close so I wasn't aware of his appendectomy. I don't even know how fast of a skater he is....but my point was that Horvat wasn't a known speedster either but he worked at it to become a much faster player.

I'm all for getting Vilardi and a few others from the top 10 in this draft

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
This team needs players that can score goals. especially from the wings

You could move Virtanen to LW his best season with the Hitmen came when he played LW .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad