Player Discussion Brock Boeser | "Back" in Action

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueGreen

Jan 3, 2018
Of course he ends with 29 goals and not 30.

You just have to laugh. This is the most Canuck thing ever.
Who cares. You know he most likely would've if he stayed healthy for the rest of the season. Of course that would have been awesome to see, but as long as he comes back 100% that's way more important. He'll make up for it next year.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Who cares. You know he most likely would've if he stayed healthy for the rest of the season. Of course that would have been awesome to see, but as long as he comes back 100% that's way more important. He'll make up for it next year.

Stats matter, especially given what Boeser could do. I doubt it, and would be insanely happy if it happens, but if Boeser comes close to say, most consecutive 30 goal seasons, this season screws him. I doubt this year makes a difference, but it's still unlucky that he didn't hit 30 goals.

Wait until you get in an argument with a dumb X fan (let's say Leafs) and they use that as a way to ignorantly discredit Boeser's rookie year.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If the first game of the 'post-Boeser' portion of the 17/18 schedule was any indication, it could get ugly down the stretch.....it's like watching the air escaping a colorful balloon......Rogers Arena was half-empty.....his absence will hurt not only on the ice but in the attendance/revenue department.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
How do people here feel about a long-term extension for Boeser this off-season? He'll be heading into the final season of his ELC and we have control of him for another 5 seasons after his ELC before he hits UFA.

I figure with the team planning to stink it up for another couple of seasons and the salary we'll have coming off the books this season, it might be a good idea to extend him now to lower his cap hit in future seasons when we'd be in contention. However, to make the long-term extension worthwhile, we would want the contract to take up some UFA seasons and that would mean a contract of 7+ seasons, ideally 8. That would be a really long commitment for someone who has just one season under his belt, albeit a really good one.

Personally, I'm on the fence with this one. If we get him locked up now, we could probably get him for around $6 million a season, but if we wait another season, the price might go up to $7 or $8 million a season. Feels like if we're going to give it to him next off-season, we mind as well give it to him this off-season to save some cap hit for the future. So we're looking at 8 years x $6 million maybe?

What does everyone else think?

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
How do people here feel about a long-term extension for Boeser this off-season? He'll be heading into the final season of his ELC and we have control of him for another 5 seasons after his ELC before he hits UFA.

I figure with the team planning to stink it up for another couple of seasons and the salary we'll have coming off the books this season, it might be a good idea to extend him now to lower his cap hit in future seasons when we'd be in contention. However, to make the long-term extension worthwhile, we would want the contract to take up some UFA seasons and that would mean a contract of 7+ seasons, ideally 8. That would be a really long commitment for someone who has just one season under his belt, albeit a really good one.

Personally, I'm on the fence with this one. If we get him locked up now, we could probably get him for around $6 million a season, but if we wait another season, the price might go up to $7 or $8 million a season. Feels like if we're going to give it to him next off-season, we mind as well give it to him this off-season to save some cap hit for the future. So we're looking at 8 years x $6 million maybe?

To me this is simple: give him everything he wants and then some in order to guarantee that he stays here long term. If we try to chintz out on him he will walk. No American superstar has ever played for the Canucks and for good reasons; travel, cost of living, a terrible legacy of shame and failure and, of course, the fact that Canada is "alien" territory to Americans. Unless he is coddled mercilessly I fear he will simply demand a trade when his contract comes up.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
To me this is simple: give him everything he wants and then some in order to guarantee that he stays here long term. If we try to chintz out on him he will walk. No American superstar has ever played for the Canucks and for good reasons; travel, cost of living, a terrible legacy of shame and failure and, of course, the fact that Canada is "alien" territory to Americans. Unless he is coddled mercilessly I fear he will simply demand a trade when his contract comes up.

"no american superstar has ever played for the canucks" lmao okay no disrespect to Ryan Kesler, but how many american superstars have there been in NHL history? Like 8? I think there might be other reasons we've never had one, possibly that there aren't very many of them and they're difficult to acquire

Kickpuncher

Nov 7, 2017
NYC/Vancouver

Extending him this off-season would be unwise, IMO. Closest comp for this would probably be going back to the Gaudreau deal, which was for 6.75 mill per, and that was a few years ago, so if that's the key basis of comparison, it'd probably be closer to 7 mill.

If you can get him long-term at 6, sure, lock him up. That's doubtful, though. Probably makes more sense to let him prove his production for one more season, then look at extending him long-term after that with a better read on him, because it's doubtful you're going to get him for less than 7, whether it's this year or next, if you want to go crack into those UFA years.

Kickpuncher

Nov 7, 2017
NYC/Vancouver

We'd have room to overpay Brock by a bit if it wasn't for the junked contract space wasted by Eriksson, Gudbranson, Gagner, Del Zotto, Sutter, and Nilsson.

As it stands, we don't have a lot of breathing room to give him a little more of what he might want because of all the expensive trash accrued on the roster.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
bruh

8-9m is too much, we ain't a charity organisation even when jim is trying

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
We'd have room to overpay Brock by a bit if it wasn't for the junked contract space wasted by Eriksson, Gudbranson, Gagner, Del Zotto, Sutter, and Nilsson.

As it stands, we don't have a lot of breathing room to give him a little more of what he might want because of all the expensive trash accrued on the roster.
Actually we do have the room, all we need to do this don’t resign the Sedins. For the next few years there will be a couple ELC on this team. Once they need contracts, both Eriksson and Gud will be gone.
Not to mention the cap is projecting to go up by quite a bit soon

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
There is no rush and the Canucks have the control. I would wait a year and see what Boeser does. His shooting % was unsustainably high at the start of the season. If he has a great year then the Canucks will be happy to pay him but I would wait to see to see a larger body of work before I pay him 8 million

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Extending him this off-season would be unwise, IMO. Closest comp for this would probably be going back to the Gaudreau deal, which was for 6.75 mill per, and that was a few years ago, so if that's the key basis of comparison, it'd probably be closer to 7 mill.

If you can get him long-term at 6, sure, lock him up. That's doubtful, though. Probably makes more sense to let him prove his production for one more season, then look at extending him long-term after that with a better read on him, because it's doubtful you're going to get him for less than 7, whether it's this year or next, if you want to go crack into those UFA years.

Gaudreau signed his contract with 4 years of team control left and gave up 2 years of UFA. He was also coming off of a 78 and 64 points the previous two seasons. By comparison, Brock has another year left on his ELC, then another 5 seasons of team control while having just finished his first full season where he was on pace for ~70 points.

So having said that, I feel like his cap hit would be closer to 6 than 7 if he signed this off-season. However, now that I write all of this out, it may be better to wait another season. If he goes off for 70+ points next season, then we can give him 7 million rather than give him 6 now and hope that his play doesn't fall off.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
8-9 will soon be the normal price for 30s 40s goals scorer as the cap go up

8-9 million for a winger still in his pre-arbitration seasons is way too much. Not sure there's a precedent for it. You could bring up Draisaitl, but Edmonton signed him with the expectation that he would play centre, but that obviously didn't work out, so now he's back on McDavid's wing.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Remember when we all cried that Luongo's 7 Million dollar contract a year was outrageous? Yea the cap solved that, damn looks a bargain now. With that said, 8-9 mil for boeser is a No-no. I think you start with 6/6.5

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Little late I know but just saw the play a few times.... Where the F was the stretcher!?!?

Recklessly dangerous to make hime get off the ice on his own feet after an impact like that .

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
There is no rush and the Canucks have the control. I would wait a year and see what Boeser does. His shooting % was unsustainably high at the start of the season. If he has a great year then the Canucks will be happy to pay him but I would wait to see to see a larger body of work before I pay him 8 million

Yup show it season over season. At least we are more assured what we are paying for.

Talk to them in the summer but unless they are giving the Canucks a huge discount to get on term now there is no reason to rush. (Which his agent won't do)

Obviously Hutton isn't boeser and a different situation but the team rushed to re-signed him to a 2 year 2.8m per 'bridge deal.' now we have a poor value overpaid player that has to be qualified at 2.8m.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
As the season progressed and even before he was injured, you could tell he was struggling to find the same time and space he had before Christmas. Teams really keyed in on his one-timer after the Pennsylvania road trip and all but took it away.

It's still one of the all-time great rookie seasons in our franchise's history, but I want to see what he does next season before extending him.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
"no american superstar has ever played for the canucks" lmao okay no disrespect to Ryan Kesler, but how many american superstars have there been in NHL history? Like 8? I think there might be other reasons we've never had one, possibly that there aren't very many of them and they're difficult to acquire

Kesler was a pretty good player but he was no superstar and you may remember that he ultimately bolted for the States once he realized that this team wasn't going to lead him to a Cup (and screwed us while doing so). I absolutely guarantee that if we play hardball with Boeser he will walk. The Canucks are the least desirable NHL location amongst good players since the Quebec Nordiques. We simply HAVE to overpay to retain our elite prospects/players. Who here wants to re-live the 80's? Not me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad