Jun 30, 2008
B.C
latest

Reactions: alternate

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
It is indeed an exciting and refreshing time right now. In my almost 10 years on these boards, we have not had a prospect that has put up the numbers like Boeser is doing right now. Hodgson was suppose to be our savior, but we all got Hodged. Although we are far away from being a contender, at least there is something we can be excited about whenever we turn on the TV.

Reactions: DecideFreedom

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
woops, I thought "25 points in 24 games" was referring to the team

Man I love Brock Boeser :yo:

I'll settle for BB getting 50 pts this season. Even if he doesn't get Calder, I really really don't care. If we have a star in the making, our vision goes far beyond a flash of brilliance in the first year~.

Hopefully he will become one of the engines that powers this team for the next decade.

Reactions: 2011 still hurts

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I'll settle for BB getting 50 pts this season. Even if he doesn't get Calder, I really really don't care. If we have a star in the making, our vision goes far beyond a flash of brilliance in the first year~.

Hopefully he will become one of the engines that powers this team for the next decade.

While he is surely going to come down from his 20.3% Shooting- and his 89.3% Individual Point Percentages are sure to come down.
(He is shooting at 2.5% higher rate than Laine last year and his IPP is higher then McDavids this year).

His production would really have to come down from a cliff and stay there to not easily break 50p.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
It is indeed an exciting and refreshing time right now. In my almost 10 years on these boards, we have not had a prospect that has put up the numbers like Boeser is doing right now. Hodgson was suppose to be our savior, but we all got Hodged. Although we are far away from being a contender, at least there is something we can be excited about whenever we turn on the TV.
Horvat ain't exactly chopped liver; Demko is looking to be our future starter.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i was just revisiting the last time we had a rookie forward of this calibre, the 1991-'92 season. what's kind of amazing is that so far boes hasn't had any real sustained dips in production. will one come? history tells us that rookies, especially those not accustomed to 80 game schedules, usually will hit a wall, due to some combination of fatigue and other teams starting to gameplan for them. some guys recover, some guys find another gear and actually improve, some guys you never hear from again. i'm guessing boes won't be in the last category, but you never know.

anyway, a stroll down memory lane--

bure's rookie season was full of ups and downs. for all the excitement of his first game, he didn't hit the scoreboard until his third game (a meaningless 3rd period assist on a cliff ronning goal in a 5-0 blowout; adams got the primary assist), where he got an assist; he didn't score a goal until his fourth game (two goals in that game, the first unassisted the second assisted by ronning and sandlak). bure scores again in his fifth game, assisted by ryan walters and gino. so it looks like they're still looking for a place in the lineup for him at this point.

mid-november to early-december: then he goes eight games with only one single goal (a PP marker assisted by ronning and big serge) and no assists. this is where people started saying "pavel is russian for deking through the entire team then missing the net."

then he has a good run in early december. in seven games, he has one goal, six assists. his linemates at this point are clearly larionov and adams. larionov: two goals, five assists. adams: six goals, two assists.

late december/early january: then plummets again. one single goal, zero assists in the next seven games.

mid-january to early-february: then bure has his first sustained stretch of elite scoring. six goals, ten assists in eleven games. this is where he and larionov clearly click. five goals, twelve assists for larionov in those games. adams: six goals, five assists.

then four more scoreless games in mid-february. that's bure's last little slump. one assist each for adams and larionov in those games, to a goal by diduck.

mid-february to early-april: in the last 23 games of the season, they go into overdrive. bure: 22 goals, 10 assists. larionov: three goals, 18 assists. adams: nine goals, seven assists, but most on the PP. the difference here seems to be that bure, larionov, and adams became a primary PP option, and even when they had patches of non-productivity at ES they still got their PP points.

so what we see is that the hot stretches get longer and hotter as the season goes on, while the cold streaks get smaller and further between. to compare, boeser, who was ten days older on the first day of the season than bure was in his first game, hasn't gone more than two games without a point and has maybe had the four games after his hat trick where he only got one assist and the three games in NY that you could call quiet stretches.

also worth noting, as we talk about unsustainable shooting percentages, bure's S% before the all-star break: 6.7%. after: 16.6%.

---

OT but larionov also had an interesting season. he went scoreless in his first nine games, then had a nice run in november centering geoff courtnall and linden, then became bure's full-time center, with adams on the other wing and rode that line's ups and downs.

bure's first month: 13 games, four goals, five assists. larionov's november with courtnall and linden: 13 games, seven goals, seven assists.

from when the adams-larionov-bure line first clicked to the end of the season: 52-30-25-55 for bure, 48-14-37-51 for larionov (49-21-15-36 for adams).

from the end of last big slump (late dec/early jan) to the end of the season: 38-28-20-48 for bure, 34-8-31-39 for larionov (36-15-13-28 for adams).

and again, that last 23 games of the season that secured bure the calder trophy: 23-22-10-32 for bure, 19-3-18-21 for larionov (22-9-7-16 for adams).

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Horvat ain't exactly chopped liver; Demko is looking to be our future starter.
i was just revisiting the last time we had a rookie forward of this calibre, the 1991-'92 season.
I was just kind of thinking about the uncanny parallel between Linden-Bure and Horvat-Boeser the other day as well.

Horvat totally serves in the Linden role – the mature-beyond-his-years, all-Canadian small-towner who was immediately dubbed the future captain from the time he stepped onto the ice in black/orange/gold/blue/green. Horvat and Linden both immediately became the focal point on, and cause for optimism among, a sad-sack team that was having some trouble rebuilding. (Or really just "building" in the case of the '80s Canucks). Although Linden was a Calder finalist, neither one was/is the type of superstar that gets the rest of the league buzzing. Both have/had their moments where they get you out of your seat, to be sure, but on a whole both play/ed a pretty understated style based on hard work and a direct power game to a large extent. They le(a)d by example without being too flashy, but quietly get the job done.

While not very similar in personality, Boeser of course gets the Bure role. Both are literal non-Canucks (although both from pretty typical hockey places), who stepped into the league early in Linden/Horvat's career, but when the other guy was already the established 'guy' for the team. Neither was a top-10 draft pick, but both were hotly anticipated by the time they arrived. And both had an absolutely immediate wow-factor from the moment they stepped on the ice. Both master(ed) a finesse game while not compromising on a laser of a shot. Both immediately started making highlight reels and piquing the interest of other fanbases, all while not actually pulling away (at first) from Linden/Horvat in the scoring race... they just turned a lot more heads doing so with so much promise. They became the guy for the opposition to key in on.

The main difference, of course, is that Boeser is already playing with Horvat, while Linden and Bure didn't become linemates until the 1994 run.

Back then there was a bit of rivalry between Linden and Bure factions among the fanbase. Nothing vicious, but it was there, because saying stuff is better than other stuff is what sports fans do. I wonder if we'll see something similar develop here.

And then I wonder if Horvat will be team president in 2042 and team up with Adam Clendenning as GM to run the team into the ground. :laugh:

Reactions: Hit the post

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Boeser now 7TH in the ENTIRE league in goals and in less games too. What a season so far!

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
How many points will Boeser need to win the Calder.... would 30 and 30 for 60 points do it?

It's all relative to his peers.

A 30-goal rookie season in and of itself is an elite accomplishment. 30G 70p I think would lock it down assuming Sergachev doesn't put up 50 as a dman.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
It is nice to finally have a prospect the entire league is taking watch of. It’s not often a Canucks prospect has the league with their jaws on the ground.

It’s also nice to know we have Boeser and Horvat moving forward, not just Bo.

Reactions: timw33

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
It is nice to finally have a prospect the entire league is taking watch of. It’s not often a Canucks prospect has the league with their jaws on the ground.

It’s also nice to know we have Boeser and Horvat moving forward, not just Bo.

Just need to add a few more young pieces to the core to build around. There's some nice stuff in the pipeline but I won't get excited until I see guys like Pettersson, Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich, etc producing at NHL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->