Player Discussion Brock Boeser | Part IV - Rookie of the Month November

Status
Not open for further replies.

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
Teams are going to start keying in on Boeser once word about that wrister gets out. He's getting loads of space here in preseason. Thankfully he's pretty good at passing the puck so it's imperative to surround him with talent that can do something with the space Boeser creates.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Teams are going to start keying in on Boeser once word about that wrister gets out. He's getting loads of space here in preseason. Thankfully he's pretty good at passing the puck so it's imperative to surround him with talent that can do something with the space Boeser creates.

I think Brock's IQ gets underrated due to him being more of a goal scorer than playmaker. He's actually quite effective at reading plays to get in the right areas. He's like the evolved form what Gaunce says he plays like -- doesn't waste a lot of energy skating around to look busy but focuses on being in the right place at the right time.

Reminds me a lot of prime Burrows with the twins. Just had a knack of knowing where to be when he needed to be there.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

That's the main concern.
Gm 1 vs a more NHL lineup, he didn't see any open space for his shot ES.
Gm 2 vs a prospect lineup he did... and made em pay.

We'll see how playing with better quality teammates and vs higher caliber opponents later in the preseason effects his progression.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Biggest pet peeve after all these years being a Canuck fan: People believing that these were the elements that a Sedin linemate needed
* Size and strength
* Right handed shot
* Goalscorer with a power/net-driving game

People repeated that principle ad-nauseum, but it was never true.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Biggest pet peeve after all these years being a Canuck fan: People believing that these were the elements that a Sedin linemate needed
* Size and strength
* Right handed shot

The right handed shot thing always confused me because at ES their best linemate was LH (Burrows). I get it for PP set ups but otherwise I think it's a fabricated myth.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
* Size and strength
* Right handed shot

Pretty much..

There was an excuse for thinking that pre-Burrows : back then we didn't know better.

But the formula has since been pretty well established.... Some speed, tenacity on the forcheck, puck retrieval skills, IQ (spacing/cycle/open ice)... what am I missing... Buy in to the 'When in doubt pass it to a twin' system.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
* Size and strength
* Right handed shot

It evolved from the narrative that they just needed an Anson Carter on steroids... didn't help that they had flashes with Bertuzzi and that Gillis went out to get David Backes and Steve Bernier.

Interestingly of course, they just mentioned in that Players' Tribune article that it was Carter that really revolutionized their game. Not a prototypical PF, but a right hand shot with a knack for scoring around the net.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
* Size and strength
* Right handed shot

Some of that comes from their first 3-4 years in the league where they would fall down if someone sneezed in their direction. This obviously changed after the 2005 lockout and they broke out with Anson Carter on their line. They also did well with Samuelsson on their line and his game is somewhat similar to Boeser's.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The most annoying one is the power forward thing. They pretty much NEVER clicked with a power forward, besides arguably Bertuzzi (and that was just because Bertuzzi had other talents), and their game is actually very ill-suited to players whose strengths involve taking the puck and driving to the net.

I've heard people argue that David Booth should have played with the Sedins and I can't think of a bigger mismatch, personally. You also hear people ridicule the idea of guys like Baertschi or Raymond with the twins, but they're actually significantly better fits than Booth-types.
Some of that comes from their first 3-4 years in the league where they would fall down if someone sneezed in their direction. This obviously changed after the 2005 lockout and they broke out with Anson Carter on their line. They also did well with Samuelsson on their line and his game is somewhat similar to Boeser's.
Right, but they had just as many left-handed shots that they succeeded with. Wasn't Jason King before Anson Carter? That perception should have ended the moment the Mattress Line became a thing.

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
The most annoying one is the power forward thing. They pretty much NEVER clicked with a power forward, besides arguably Bertuzzi (and that was just because Bertuzzi had other talents), and their game is actually very ill-suited to players whose strengths involve taking the puck and driving to the net.

I've heard people argue that David Booth should have played with the Sedins and I can't think of a bigger mismatch, personally.
Right, but they had just as many left-handed shots that they succeeded with. Wasn't Jason King before Anson Carter? That perception should have ended the moment the Mattress Line became a thing.

Oh I'm not talking about the handedness thing, just that they have had success with "shooters" like Samuelsson and not just "puck retrievers" like Burrows. Carter I mentioned because he didn't fit the "PF" mould and he came after the 05 lockout when they returned from Sweden bigger and stronger.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Oh I'm not talking about the handedness thing, just that they have had success with "shooters" like Samuelsson and not just "puck retrievers" like Burrows. Carter I mentioned because he didn't fit the "PF" mould and he came after the 05 lockout when they returned from Sweden bigger and stronger.

Oh totally-- I don't think the puck retriever thing was an important attribute until they really slowed down, personally.

When they played with Carter, King, Samuelsson, and Pyatt, the SEDINS were the puck retrievers, and they were excellent at it.

The only prerequisites to playing with the Sedins that have existed throughout their ENTIRE career are hockey IQ, the ability to get open, shoot on received passes, the ability to be effective without having the puck, and to a lesser degree, the ability to play on the boards.

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Oh totally-- I don't think the puck retriever thing was an important attribute until they really slowed down, personally.

When they played with Carter, King, Samuelsson, and Pyatt, the SEDINS were the puck retrievers, and they were excellent at it.

The only prerequisite to playing with the Sedins that has existed throughout their ENTIRE career are hockey IQ, the ability to get open, shoot on received passes, and to a lesser degree, the ability to play on the boards.

Agree completely.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I like the thought of a player that plays possum most of the game and then out of nowhere, scores you a clutch goal that wins you the game and crushes the hopes and dreams of the other team and its fanbase with a single shot.

Could be very fun to watch.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I like the thought of a player that plays possum most of the game and then out of nowhere, scores you a clutch goal that wins you the game and crushes the hopes and dreams of the other team and its fanbase with a single shot.

Could be very fun to watch.
I used to call these types of players "ninjas" when I was a kid. Brett Hull for sure was an absolute master of this, and even Brendan Morrison to a lesser degree was good at this.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I used to call these types of players "ninjas" when I was a kid. Brett Hull for sure, and even Brendan Morrison to a lesser degree was good at this.

Honestly, I think Brett Hull is the most accurate comparison out of all of them. I don't want to overrate the kid, but they're pretty damn similar.

Boeser might even be able to improve his skating, which would be HUGE.. Something Brett never really had but still exceeded despite..

Would just give him another weapon to punish teams with...

His shot is legitimately scary. Could become a top 5 shooter in the league.. I honestly think his release is top 5... Up there with Ovechkin and Laine.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
His hair and look is definitely closest to Brett Hull. Plus Brett was good at shooting the puck. And they are both American. I am going with Brett Hull.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Hull was absolutely ridiculous. Even late into his career, when he essentially became an outright liability in virtually every other area in the game, he was able to be the most dangerous player on the ice on the strength of that one masterful talent alone.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Good to see Boeser will finally be able to play his first game this season, 3 games in.

Although scratching Virtanen in favour of him irritates me, considering both deserve to be in the lineup.

scorvat53

Jan 21, 2017
Good to see Boeser will finally be able to play his first game this season, 3 games in.

Although scratching Virtanen in favour of him irritates me, considering both deserve to be in the lineup.

I read that Burmistrov is the odd man out. Virtanen was on a line with Granlund and Eriksson @ practice today.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I read that Burmistrov is the odd man out. Virtanen was on a line with Granlund and Eriksson @ practice today.

Bae Bo Boe
Eriksson Granner Virtanen
Sedin Sedin Vanek - anti speed line
Gagner Sutter Dorset - crud line

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The pressure is really on Boeser now......if he has a couple of meh games, then he's probably out of the lineup again....and then Utica would be beckoning.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Is he in tonight for sure?
Burmistrov is scratched for Boeser

Also, he's going to be on the 2nd unit PP (pretty sure you'll be here for fantasy reasons)

Don't expect much icetime at even strength, but this is the jets so we might get a lot of power play and our 2nd unit is much better then our 1st unit and are duo for a PP goal. They also don't get snubbed as much and sometimes start as the #1 unit.

If I had to predict Boeser will get at least 7 minutes ES TOI and 2-4 mins PP time depending on how many penalties the Jets take which I'm going to guess is a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad