Brisebois 'pissed off' at NHLPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
go kim johnsson said:
Still then, they gotta speak up. If all these players are coming out saying this is what they wanted to sign to and the exec committee and Goodenow ignored them then there is a major problem with the leadership, this is something Trevor Linden has to control.

I don't blame them for not going public, the NHLPA needed to keep a consistent front for the media. It would be disloyal to launch a media campaign against the guys doing the CBA at the that time.

You are making the assumption that they didn't speak up or that the NHLPA leaders didn't listen. We don't know what was said behind closed doors at the NHLPA. We don't know how the general NHLPA membership was thinking at the time. Are we listening to the 10% who said "I told you so" or are we listening to the 90% who where ignored and overridden?

Now that the CBA is pretty much cut and dried and they can say what they like.

We won't know who said what for some time, but things will get leaked after everything is signed. It should be interesting.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Who knows what kind of threats are made behind closed doors by the NHLPA.

"If you decide to take a stand against us, say good bye to you $10,000 per month."

Obviously I'm stretching it but you just never know... :dunno:

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
EricBowser said:
If this is indeed true and nothing leads me to believe that it isn't, where were these guys before the season was canceled?

Why are these guys speaking out publicly about the "great" February deal and weren't willing to put their names, faces or voices into the public arena only a few months ago?
No ****. I agree with him, that deal was better, but he's got noone to blame but himself. I don't know that he didnt say anything privately, but even if he did, it would have served to have said something publicly. Have a backbone and stand up for yourselves, guys.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
me2 said:
I don't blame them for not going public, the NHLPA needed to keep a consistent front for the media. It would be disloyal to launch a media campaign against the guys doing the CBA at the that time.

You are making the assumption that they didn't speak up or that the NHLPA leaders didn't listen. We don't know what was said behind closed doors at the NHLPA. We don't know how the general NHLPA membership was thinking at the time. Are we listening to the 10% who said "I told you so" or are we listening to the 90% who where ignored and overridden?

We won't know who said what for some time, but things will get leaked after everything is signed. It should be interesting.
At that point, near season cancellation time, going public would have been the right way to go. They could have saved a season if they had stood up for themselves and made it known right then and there. They were not going to hurt their unions bargaining position nearly as much as actually canceling the season.

cgyfireman

Feb 25, 2004
me2 said:

Very well said....you seem to get it :handclap: :handclap:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Phil Parent said:
Talking about whereabouts and Q guys, Where's the PA's hardline propaganda agent to the French media, Vinny Damphousse, now? Man this guy was SO believing BG's strategy.

Indeed :biglaugh:

He was on every radio and TV show in Quebec defending the player's stance. And moronic CKAC host and 110% analyst Michel Villeneuve stopped criticizing the players because he bought into what Damphousse had to say. The guy just bent over for Damphousse, he's supposed to be always oh so critical of everything, and he couldn't muster one good argument to at least make it interesting.

I wanted to punch Villeneuve every time Damphousse said the tired old ridiculous cliche : "It's not our job to manage the owners' business" while Michel had to take Damphousse's member out of his mouth to say : "Mm yeah, you got a point there". :shakehead

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
txomisc said:
At that point, near season cancellation time, going public would have been the right way to go. They could have saved a season if they had stood up for themselves and made it known right then and there. They were not going to hurt their unions bargaining position nearly as much as actually canceling the season.

That depends on whether the splinter group was significant or not. If Goodenow still had the vast majority support it would be disloyal to splinter and go public. Now, if the splinter group had roughly 50% or more then they were stupid not to speak up at that point.

Last edited:

misterjaggers

Sep 7, 2003
The Duke City
EricBowser said:
If this is indeed true and nothing leads me to believe that it isn't, where were these guys before the season was canceled?

Why are these guys speaking out publicly about the "great" February deal and weren't willing to put their names, faces or voices into the public arena only a few months ago?
They naively trusted the multimillioinaires they elected to the NHLPA's executive committee to protect their interests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad