Brisebois 'pissed off' at NHLPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerbilanium

Oct 17, 2003
He was just interviewed at some ferrari race that he was participating in on TSN.

He said he thinks it was '********', thought the February deal was a good one they should have accepted and was pissed off they did not accept it.

I am sure TSN will have a link soon.....

I'm sure Goodenow has a helty severance package negotiated for himself.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
Goodenow should start planning on how hes gonna spend the $10.5M hes gonna get when he gets fired

Last edited:

EricBowser

Dec 8, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
If this is indeed true and nothing leads me to believe that it isn't, where were these guys before the season was canceled?

Why are these guys speaking out publicly about the "great" February deal and weren't willing to put their names, faces or voices into the public arena only a few months ago?

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
EricBowser said:
If this is indeed true and nothing leads me to believe that it isn't, where were these guys before the season was canceled?

Why are these guys speaking out publicly about the "great" February deal and weren't willing to put their names, faces or voices into the public arena only a few months ago?

They were misled. They still had faith back then. Also, remember that some players outside the NHLPA's leadership tried to get a deal done.

The players trusted their leadership which led them down the wrong path, and imo they have every right not to be pleased about it. When you give your trust to someone and they show they didn't deserve it, it's always disheartening.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
EricBowser said:

Insert hindsight cliche here...

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
bcrt2000 said:
Goodenow should start planning on how hes gonna spend the $10.5M hes gonna get when he gets fired

Wonder if the NHLPA can buy him out at 2/3rds of 76% :cry:

Last edited:

FlyersFan10*

Smail said:
They were misled. They still had faith back then. Also, remember that some players outside the NHLPA's leadership tried to get a deal done.

The players trusted their leadership which led them down the wrong path, and imo they have every right not to be pleased about it. When you give your trust to someone and they show they didn't deserve it, it's always disheartening.

The problem is that the guys who stepped up back in February (I believe it was Recchi, Roenick, Iginla, and Esche) were all effectively shut up by the union. It's unbelievable that union members actually threatened their lives by not listening to what they had to say.

And now the union gets to settle on a lower negotiated package. If anything, I think you'll see a drastic change in the next NHLPA executive directors. No more Trevor Linden, Bill Guerin, Bob Boughner, Daniel Alfredsson, Arturs Irbe, Trent Klatt, etc.......Those guys screwed it for everyone else.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
I can feel the coast-to-coast aura of fear as Patrice's venom reaches the frightened ears of the NHLPA braintrust. Right now, 29 player reps are mulling over the spectre of meeting Patrice on the ice as he looks for a way to fulfill his vengeance. These poor unfortunate souls are going to be haunted of nightmares of Patrice tracking them down on the ice, stalking them like prey, waiting to catch them with their backs turned... so he can whack 'em over the head with his designer purse.. ;)

Slapshot17

Aug 29, 2004
Prince George
Hope it doesn't get sick over it or he'll have to take another trip to Paris while he should be playing.

These guys should all be happy they are making good money to play a game. Most of us play because we love it. These guys play for money. Sure they should make a decent living but it's us the fans that pay their salary, and it should be affordable for us to take our kids to a game. I don't feel bad for Patrice or any other player for being so stubborn back in February. They are getting what they deserve.

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
EricBowser said:

Roenick was definitely already outspoken before the season was cancelled and I have a vague recollection that Brisebois was too. These are the same guys making the same noise.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Where were all of these guys back in February then? While it's "nice" to see guys like Esche and Roenick and Brisebois to come out now and say that they were wrong and should have accepted an offer a while ago, it's their own fault.

If all these guys would have spoken up back in January and February, not only would there have been a season, they would have had a deal they could at least live with as opposed to accepting an offer they want even less.

That was the time to speak up, not now. The players are just making themselves look worse.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
go kim johnsson said:
Where were all of these guys back in February then? While it's "nice" to see guys like Esche and Roenick and Brisebois to come out now and say that they were wrong and should have accepted an offer a while ago, it's their own fault.

If all these guys would have spoken up back in January and February, not only would there have been a season, they would have had a deal they could at least live with as opposed to accepting an offer they want even less.

That was the time to speak up, not now. The players are just making themselves look worse.

Back then some of these guys were trying to make the backrooms deals that Goodenow and Damphousse later nixed.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
me2 said:
Back then some of these guys were trying to make the backrooms deals that Goodenow and Damphousse later nixed.

Still then, they gotta speak up. If all these players are coming out saying this is what they wanted to sign to and the exec committee and Goodenow ignored them then there is a major problem with the leadership, this is something Trevor Linden has to control.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Where was he? Probably shutting up Mike Ribeiro and Pierre Dagenais, who DARED speak out then.

Talking about whereabouts and Q guys, Where's the PA's hardline propaganda agent to the French media, Vinny Damphousse, now? Man this guy was SO believing BG's strategy.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
go kim johnsson said:

The problem is that... Goodenow shipped off all the players who wanted to play to Europe this time. Most of the players who stayed back were hardliners (and probably opposed to playing overseas), so the Roenicks, Prongers, and Iginlas were left out to dry, and when they tried to do something, the hardliners surrounded them like a pack of wolves. Meanwhile, all of the players who wanted to play were in Europe oblivious of what was happening, and being fed propoganda through the PA website.

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB
go kim johnsson said:
Still then, they gotta speak up. If all these players are coming out saying this is what they wanted to sign to and the exec committee and Goodenow ignored them then there is a major problem with the leadership, this is something Trevor Linden has to control.

While I think it looks good on the players and I have no sympathy for their plight, I don't know who 'all these players' are you keep mentioning... last I checked there were hundreds of players in the NHLPA - Brisebois, Roenick and a handful of others does not a majority make. :dunno:

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
go kim johnsson said:

i definitely agree. the owners had pretty much all the leverage from the beginning, just as the nature of the beast....with the profit sharing, retaining arbitration and guaranteed contracts, the february $42.5 deal was pretty reasonable, especially considering where we're going now.

of course the players had to know the longer this went on (especially if the season was cancelled) the more devalued the NHL would become and the less the owners would be able to offer.....if this is the case, the reps should have pressed the execs to atleast call for a vote to see how the membership stood. in this respect guys like roenick, esche and brisebois should have pressured linden to get it to a vote.

i think the NHLPA's ultimate downfall was not considering accepting the seemingly inevitable cap until it was too late and then getting stuck with it anyways. if they could have gotten out of the McCabe-esque mentality of 'no cap no matter what' and instead earlier tried to negotiate the best deal possible, they would have been in a lot better position to make more money and the game wouldn't have been so wounded.

the players were willing to make concessions (like the rollback, changes in qualifying offers and rookie deals), yet hindsight is showing they didn't look at the big picture and make the obvious one --a cap. worse, by taking one stance (never ever a cap) and crumbling on it in february by offering one they alienated alot of their base and lost even more leverage.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
JohnnyB11 said:
While I think it looks good on the players and I have no sympathy for their plight, I don't know who 'all these players' are you keep mentioning... last I checked there were hundreds of players in the NHLPA - Brisebois, Roenick and a handful of others does not a majority make. :dunno:

There were a few who came out right after the season got canceled. I remember Barret Jackman being one of them.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Do you honestly think the 3rd and 4th liners totally agree with the NHLPA's choices during this lockout? I don't...

Maybe the odd few out of 350 do agree. But I really don't think the Chad Kilgers and the Tim Taylors really give a **** about a cap.

And even some of the 1st and 2nd liners I would bet don't care either.

Like honestly, think about it for a second. Out of 750 players, how many are superstars and actually have the potential to be 5mill dollar players?

No way there are more than 200. And even 200 is stretching it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->