Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Sounds like a win out scenario.
Checked the standings this morning and it's a little more than a win out scenario. BST is now 8 points behind Charlotte for the last playoff spot with 6 games to play. The Sound Tigers need Charlotte (magic number is 4 and could clinch as early as Friday night) to go in the tank tonight.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
IMO Bridge was always a long shot to make the playoffs. Isles never invest in veteran AHL talent to help the young kids.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The Sound Tigers did their job this morning, beating the Providence Bruins 3-2. Eamon MacAdam gets the W. Josh Ho-Sang had 2 assists, both on the power play and was a +3.

Just off hand, you do not get a + (or - for that matter) if a goal is scored on the power play.

If Ho-Sang's two assists came on the PP, then his best possible +/- rating would have been a +1.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Just off hand, you do not get a + (or - for that matter) if a goal is scored on the power play.

If Ho-Sang's two assists came on the PP, then his best possible +/- rating would have been a +1.
You’re right. I don’t know how I muffed that one.

WinhallVT124

Head on a swivel
Mar 6, 2015
Winhall,VT
IMO Bridge was always a long shot to make the playoffs. Isles never invest in veteran AHL talent to help the young kids.

The last time good veteran help was added you'd have to go back 10 years when there was Iggulden and Kurtis McLean types. Since then good AHL talent has been scarce. Even when they won the division in 2011-2012 it was because of prospects. They never want to spend 250 K on a good AHL player.

So to summarize: We develop a losing culture as soon as these guys hit the pros.

WinhallVT124

Head on a swivel
Mar 6, 2015
Winhall,VT
Mattt Moulson was brought in to help the BST, FWIW.

Yes he was! At this point I wish we can trade Ladd to Buffalo for Moulson, then he can make his long awaited BST debut.

Going into next season the forward group can possibly/likely be:

Bernier
Koivula
Eansor
Dal Colle
Bellows
Stevens
Fritz?
And they should bring back:

St Denis
Ben Holmstrom (good leader, PK'er, who has a crazy games played streak)
Bailey (should get a NHL deal)

They need another AHL vet with more offensive ability to replace Gionta.

For AHL/ECHL depth they will likely sign Ryan Hitchcock to an AHL deal.

Defense:
Vande Sompel
Wotherspoon
Aho
Quenneville (hopefully )
Burroughs (improved every year, good team guy and great with the local community )

Ryan MacKinnon is signed to AHL deal and impressed with Worcester. They also signed Tyler Mueller of Umass Lowell to an ATO by all accounts has looked pretty good and could be back and forth from Bridgeport and Worcester .

Goaltending:
Soderstrom
McAdam

Going into next season looks OK, just need a couple of quality vets signed.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Bridgeport kept their slim playoff hopes alive, beating the Wilkes Barre-Scranton Penguins 4-3 in wilkes Barre. Mitch Vande Sompel with 2 goals, Christopher Gibson gets the win.

The Sound Tigers have 2 home games this weekend. Tonight is against the Providence Bruins (again). Any regulation loss in the Sound Tiger's 5 remaining games eliminates them from playoff contention.

I'm going to try to head up there tonight to catch the only meaningful hockey game a team in blue and orange is playing in. Also looking to see if David Quenneville will get into tonight's game.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The air is out. The team made a run, but once the loss came, there was surely a big let-down in effort.

Now a time to test out guys or let a few play for the stats.

Hope Quenneville gets a look on an ATO.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I think Dal Colle gets traded by the Isles in the summer purge. Maybe JHS too.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think Dal Colle gets traded by the Isles in the summer purge. Maybe JHS too.
I tend to agree. Dal Colle is entering the last year of his contract and I’m sure the Isles would like to turn him into some sort of asset.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Can't see them retaining him much longer. I think he could well be dealt at the draft or as part of a larger package in the summer. I believe he still has a fair bit of value, not on his own but for a team short on prospects he could prove quite enticing

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Can't see them retaining him much longer. I think he could well be dealt at the draft or as part of a larger package in the summer. I believe he still has a fair bit of value, not on his own but for a team short on prospects he could prove quite enticing
Whomever is drafted dead last in this year's draft will be a better prospect than MDC. He is unbelievably terrible and I have no idea why anyone thinks he would have any value to any team who has seen him play even once.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Kiril Petrov with two goals tonight, including the OT winner for Game 3 of the Gagarin Cup

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Kiril Petrov with two goals tonight, including the OT winner for Game 3 of the Gagarin Cup
I bet he is glad it did not work out here. When does Snow realize that the only time he is the smartest guy in the room is when he is alone?

WinhallVT124

Head on a swivel
Mar 6, 2015
Winhall,VT
Per Michael Fornabaio's blog Ryan Hitchcock , Long Islander and Yale alum signed a 2 year deal with Bridgeport. Hitchcock did well at the end of last season in the AHL . Certainly a better AHL player than Gaudreau and Kubiak. Good move.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Per Michael Fornabaio's blog Ryan Hitchcock , Long Islander and Yale alum signed a 2 year deal with Bridgeport. Hitchcock did well at the end of last season in the AHL . Certainly a better AHL player than Gaudreau and Kubiak. Good move.

Glad to see that. He's got some game. Definitely a better addition than some of the "throw enough darts at the board" style additions the team brings in every now and again.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Glad to see we got that kid locked up.

9 points in 16 games during his ATO.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I'd like for them to lock up Andre Benoit as well.

Can we bring back Joe Whitney and Bracken Kearns? If we have Bellows in the A next year, can we not do the same thing we did with Dal Colle and actually get a center for the kid to feed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad