Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
It is a shame, I like Winquist and had hoped he would return. I don't have a problem with Helgeson of Lafranchise, it is good to have two vets on defense in the AHL with so many kids around.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
It is a shame, I like Winquist and had hoped he would return. I don't have a problem with Helgeson of Lafranchise, it is good to have two vets on defense in the AHL with so many kids around.

I agree all around, I really want more scorers in the A since I think we don't get Duchene and I think Barzal sticks and I really believe playoff runs in the A help future prospects. The defense, the goaltending I thnk are all sound and playoff caliber and a lot of pieces up front are good but I want more.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I agree all around, I really want more scorers in the A since I think we don't get Duchene and I think Barzal sticks and I really believe playoff runs in the A help future prospects. The defense, the goaltending I thnk are all sound and playoff caliber and a lot of pieces up front are good but I want more.

Agreed on all points. The more experience and games the kids can get into, the better it is long term. And having a couple players like Bernier around will only help by taking immediate pressure off of them and help them learn what it takes to be a pro.

It is interesting how, at the AHL level, there seems to be a plethora (I had to throw that word in there, lol) of RWs and centers. With, in my opinion, a need for at least one more solid LW with Winquist now gone.

Essentially the reverse case applies to the Isles up front. Where the 2C and 3C spots need to be figured out but there is solid depth at LW.

I also hope MDC watches Bernier closely. Bernier had a nice career and was productive early on, however, I think he could have been more if he had worked to really improve his skating and gotten stronger. He might have been able to be a legit power forward in the NHL, with a few changes. If that doesn't motivate MDC to be better, get out of the AHL and stay out of the minors, I don't know what will.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Winquist played both on the wing and down the middle, and seemingly well.

Honestly not sure why he was not retained.

Buttstapled

May 1, 2010
Winquist played both on the wing and down the middle, and seemingly well.

Honestly not sure why he was not retained.

Winquist would have been a top six forward on any AHL team and Ho-Sang blossomed with JW at center yet Winquist was regularly a healthy scratch. I suspect there was no way he would sign an Islanders deal after last season so I doubt the Tigers could have retained him.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
They are going to sign a few guys -

They essentially need at least 1 Center (possibly 2 Centers in case Barzal makes the club). They also need a legit top 6 (maybe two) and 1 D man.

Here is who I would target

Stanislav Galiev - RHS/ LW - this would be their top 6 add. He would slot in On Barzal's Left or Play with the 2C.

Next I would go out and get Antoine Laganiere to be the 2C on this club. Big C who has steadily improved every season.

I would then resign Josh Winquist - he can play C, LW, RW - you know what you got if Stevens struggles he can fill in at 3C or even fill in at the 2 C.

As an extra attempt at filling out the roster - I would then try to sign either Casey Bailey or Chris Conner as another top 6. I really liked Bailey coming out of College.

Landing Bailey, Galiev, and Laganiere would be great! Add Winquist to the mix and that would be a huge win for Bridgeport this offseason.

On the blue line - it looks as if Aho is coming over from Europe. I would try to sign Somerby before August 1st and that would fill out the blue line- if no Somerby than I would resign Cullity.

Here would be the lineup-

Dal Colle Barzal Bailey
Galiev Laganiere Bernier
Winquist Stevens Fritz
Johnston Jones St. Denis/Kubiak
*Gaudreau- Eansor- Schempp in ECHL

Toews -Burroughs
Helgeson - Wotherspoon
Vande Sompel- Lafranchise
Somerby - Aho

Grudvelski
Gibson
McAdam

With Gionta signing and I am assuming Barzal starts in the AHL and Prince clears waivers after training camp if there are no injuries

Prince - Gionta - Bernier
Dal Colle - Barzal - Fritz
St. Denis - Stevens - ?
Johnston - Jones - J. Holmstrom
Kubiak

Eansor, Gaudreau, and Schempp at ECHL providing depth

Toews Burroughs
Helgeson Aho
Wotherspoon LaFranchise
Vande Sompel ?

Gibson and Grudvelski

McAdam at ECHL

Would love 3 more legit signings

Laganiere C
Bailey RW
Somerby D

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think Prince could clear. If he does, I don't expect them to be spectacular, but they should be a really solid team.

Tier I Forwards: Barzal/Bernier/Gionta/Prince
Tier II Forwards: Dal Colle/Fritz/Jones/St. Denis
Teir II Forwards: Eansor/Gaudreau/Holmstrom/Johnston/Kubiak/Schempp/Stevens

Tier I Defensemen: Aho/Toews
Tier II Defensemen: Burroughs/Helgeson/Lafranchise/Vande Sompel/Wotherspoon

By the way, I ranked my tiers on ability to make an impact in the AHL now, not on NHL upside.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I think Prince could clear. If he does, I don't expect them to be spectacular, but they should be a really solid team.

By the way, I ranked my tiers on ability to make an impact in the AHL now, not on NHL upside.

I feel strongly that they need to sign at least 2 more fowards - AHL vet types.

At B'port you need more depth not just in case an injury to their squad but also to the parent squad - Bernier could get injured and so could say Clutterbuck and now B'port has to cover 2 F's.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I am happy that Gionta signed. He is a decent NHL/AHL tweener to have around. He can help the kids in the AHL or fill in for a few games in the NHL, if needed. And he is versatile. Now go get at least one more vet or (ideally) maybe two to three. It would be nice to field a competent team with so many prospects in the AHL.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Nice listing and pretty spot on, albeit I'm not sure what the difference is between "Tier II" and "Teir II".:)

Gotta wonder though if Prince will be in the AHL? I'd suspect they'd move him before sending him down via waivers. I'd also think that he'd NOT make it through waivers.

Sure am looking forward to seeing what some of these boys can do!

SI

Feb 16, 2013
AHL signings
-
Cullity, D
Mike Cornell, D
Kellen Jones, F
Matt Lane, F

I see Jones on the team along with Cullity.

The others seem to ECHL bound

This ain't going to Cut it.

Need a Center especially with Quine goog to miss some time

SI

Feb 16, 2013
With Gionta signing and I am assuming Barzal starts in the AHL and Prince clears waivers after training camp if there are no injuries

Prince - Gionta - Bernier
Dal Colle - Barzal - Fritz
St. Denis - Stevens - ?
Johnston - Jones - J. Holmstrom
Kubiak

Eansor, Gaudreau, and Schempp at ECHL providing depth

Toews Burroughs
Helgeson Aho
Wotherspoon LaFranchise
Vande Sompel ?

Gibson and Grudvelski

McAdam at ECHL

Would love 3 more legit signings

Laganiere C
Bailey RW
Somerby D

This is going on the basis that Barzal and Beauvillier make the team now that Quine and prince start the season on IR.

??????? - Gionta - Bernier
Dal Colle - ?????? - Fritz
St. Denis - Stevens - J. Holmstrom
Johnston - C. Jones - k. Jones
Kubiak

Eansor, Gaudreau, Lane and Schempp at ECHL providing F depth

Toews Burroughs
Helgeson Aho
Wotherspoon LaFranchise
Vande Sompel Cullity

Cornell at ECHL

Gibson and Grudvelski

McAdam at ECHL

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Updated with news of Ben Holmstrom and Casey Bailey signed on PTOs- (hoping that if they don't make the team - they sign on with Sound Tigers)

This is assuming that Tito and Barzal make the team.

Dal Colle - Gionta - Fritz
C.Bailey - Stevens - Bernier
St. Denis - B.Holmstrom- J. Holmstrom
Kubiak

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Updated with news of Ben Holmstrom and Casey Bailey signed on PTOs- (hoping that if they don't make the team - they sign on with Sound Tigers)

This is assuming that Tito and Barzal make the team.

Dal Colle - Gionta - Fritz
C.Bailey - Stevens - Bernier
St. Denis - B.Holmstrom- J. Holmstrom
Kubiak

That'd be good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad