Brian Little moving forward

What should the Jets do with Brian Little?

• Total voters

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
I was going to attempt to broach this topic today so I'm glad someone else did it. I'm real concerned about this drop in play and hope it's just a cold stretch. I've always been a big Little fan (no pun intended) and hope he's a solid 2c for us next year

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I would say 3C but Lowry deserves it more...
Assuming Little is 4C next season, he will be the best one in the league by far.

Here’s to hoping Roslovic is 2C and a good one at that.

Connor Scheifele Wheeler
Ehlers Roslovic Laine
Vesalainen Lowry Armia
Copp Little Tanev

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Oops I selected the wrong option. I meant to vote that I think Little should remain 2C AND stay on PP2 ... is there a way to change my vote?

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Tough one. I voted to play him somewhere (bottom 6) and see if he can't be pawned to Seattle. But I don't think Seattle would take him anyways. They'll try and mirror the Vegas template of picking younger, faster players. If we're lucky, this was just an off year for Little... but I fear it's more likely a sign of regression.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I thought Litte regained a lot of his zip as the playoffs wore on. I loved his game in the Vegas series, even though he didn't produce much offense. He was fast and aggressive. At times he made poor puck decisions, but I think that happens when you are playing such high pressure teams like Vegas and the Preds.

I'm not sure he's enough at 2C for a championship team, but I think the Jets should probably consider giving him a chance. He seemed to thrive in the 3C role with Perreault and Roslovic, and couple of very quick and smart wingers. I think he's not the right fit for Ehlers and Laine, because they play more of an East-West game. They really need a more savvy playmaker and puck distributor. Call me crazy, but I wonder if Petan might actually fit well with them. If they don't get swamped in the offensive zone, I think they might do well offensively. One problem is that none of them are that effective on the forecheck, so if they are denied clean entries (like Vegas did), they don't have much possession in the offensive zone because they can't chip and chase. The dream situation would be for Roslovic to be able to play C with Ehlers and Laine. I think he has all of the right offensive attributes, but the Jets organization clearly have some reservations about his all-around game at C. In another season or two, I wonder where Spacek will be in his game. He really has a "pure" C game, and Maurice has alluded to this. He needs more speed and strength.

Anyway, for next season I think the Jets are likely to go with what they have, and make an evaluation part-way through the season about whether they need to add another C.

Reactions: Sixty Minute Man

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Here's another couple of thoughts about the Jets' C situation...

I wonder if the Jets might need to consider splitting Scheifele and Wheeler, and go back to Wheeler, but as a #2 C, not #1. My main rationale for this is that while they are very effective together offensively, I really don't like how they play in their own zone a lot of the time. Some of that is tough match-ups, but I also think that they look a lot for offense, and that's their mind-set, so they can go through a lot of shifts where they are chasing in their own zone, more or less hoping to grab a turnover and go the other way rather than really digging in and defending first. So, here's an idea -- play Connor and Scheifele with Laine, and Little and Wheeler with Ehlers. You couldn't match up Scheifele against a lot of top lines perhaps, but I think it provides more offense / defense balance, and you could lean heavily on Lowry for matching top lines. Here's another reason. I think that Ehlers would benefit from playing for an extended time on a line with Wheeler, just like Connor did. Wheeler will drive Ehlers to be more consistent in his drive and intensity on the puck. Conversely, I think Laine will benefit from having a really hard working C like Scheifele next to him, and the hockey IQ on that line is sky-high. I think they would figure out how to find spaces to score.

Another thought is to go back to Wheeler at C, but at #2 C instead of #1 C. I wasn't a big fan of Wheeler's play as the #1 C, but he might be able to really exploit #2-3 matchups. With Roslovic ready to break through in on RW full-time, and Armia maybe ready to take the next step, and Appleton and Vesalainen waiting in the "wings", the Jets can probably really create some interesting line-ups. Here's an example...

Connor-Scheifele-Laine
Ehlers-Wheeler-Roslovic
Perreault-Little-Armia
Copp-Lowry-Tanev

What I like about those combinations is that each line has a super-charged and speedy forechecking winger to disrupt things and retrieve the puck (Connor, Roslovic, Perreault). I think that's essential with the quickness of NHL defenses today. One of the reasons that I think the Stastny line struggled against Vegas is because they denied zone entries, and that line just didn't have any player that could get in fast and hard enough on the mobile D to disrupt and create turnovers. The top two lines each have a couple of players really good at that.

When Vesalainen is ready, you can go even crazier by shifting Tanev out.

I'm doubtful that the Jets would do that because they love the Scheifele-Wheeler combination, but I have concerns about having another season where the Scheifele/Wheeler combination lags among the Jets lines in 5v5 shot metrics, regardless of their match-ups. I also think that the Jets really need to create lines that can really push Ehlers and Laine, and make them more difficult to neutralize.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

I wonder if the Jets might need to consider splitting Scheifele and Wheeler, and go back to Wheeler, but as a #2 C, not #1. My main rationale for this is that while they are very effective together offensively, I really don't like how they play in their own zone a lot of the time. Some of that is tough match-ups, but I also think that they look a lot for offense, and that's their mind-set, so they can go through a lot of shifts where they are chasing in their own zone, more or less hoping to grab a turnover and go the other way rather than really digging in and defending first. So, here's an idea -- play Connor and Scheifele with Laine, and Little and Wheeler with Ehlers. You couldn't match up Scheifele against a lot of top lines perhaps, but I think it provides more offense / defense balance, and you could lean heavily on Lowry for matching top lines. Here's another reason. I think that Ehlers would benefit from playing for an extended time on a line with Wheeler, just like Connor did. Wheeler will drive Ehlers to be more consistent in his drive and intensity on the puck. Conversely, I think Laine will benefit from having a really hard working C like Scheifele next to him, and the hockey IQ on that line is sky-high. I think they would figure out how to find spaces to score.

Another thought is to go back to Wheeler at C, but at #2 C instead of #1 C. I wasn't a big fan of Wheeler's play as the #1 C, but he might be able to really exploit #2-3 matchups. With Roslovic ready to break through in on RW full-time, and Armia maybe ready to take the next step, and Appleton and Vesalainen waiting in the "wings", the Jets can probably really create some interesting line-ups. Here's an example...

Connor-Scheifele-Laine
Ehlers-Wheeler-Roslovic
Perreault-Little-Armia
Copp-Lowry-Tanev

What I like about those combinations is that each line has a super-charged and speedy forechecking winger to disrupt things and retrieve the puck (Connor, Roslovic, Perreault). I think that's essential with the quickness of NHL defenses today. One of the reasons that I think the Stastny line struggled against Vegas is because they denied zone entries, and that line just didn't have any player that could get in fast and hard enough on the mobile D to disrupt and create turnovers. The top two lines each have a couple of players really good at that.

I'm doubtful that the Jets would do that because they love the Scheifele-Wheeler combination, but I have concerns about having another season where the Scheifele/Wheeler combination lags among the Jets lines in 5v5 shot metrics, regardless of their match-ups. I also think that the Jets really need to create lines that can really push Ehlers and Laine, and make them more difficult to neutralize.
Good thoughts, but I'm not sure you don't accomplish much the same thing with Wheeler on the wing with Little and sliding Roslo back with Perreault and Armia. I'd like to see Roslo at C next season as opposed to Wheeler, I didn't love his game there, it might have been match up related like you say but I'm still not convinced it's the best fit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Halberdier

RRenegade

Jul 13, 2016
Winnipeg
I voted option "A" even though Little had a down year, I expect a bounceback.
Roslovic is not yet ready for #2 C.
On PP2, Little is misused, he and Ehlers should be flipped so they can get shots off faster.
Ehlers was apparently great in this spot in Halifax.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Connor-Scheifele-Laine
Ehlers-Wheeler-Roslovic
Perreault-Little-Armia
Copp-Lowry-Tanev

Interesting thoughts. I don't really want to see Wheeler back at C. He got favorable matchups this past season and still got burried.

I also disagree with the notion that Little can't play with Laine and Ehlers and have success. Maybe he can't play with both at once but he had tremenous success with Perrault and Ehlers on his wings last year. I think all he needs is someone to help him dig out the puck.

I also echo Ducky10's thoughts in that I want to trial Roslovic at C.

What I would like to see:

Conner Scheifele Laine

Ehlers Little Wheeler

Perrault/Petan Roslovic Armia

Wheeler plays the firechecking Perrault role on line two.

Petan and Roslovic have great chemistry from their time together on the Moose.

Imo one of Perrault/Myers is dealt this summer for cap purposes.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
It all depends on Statsny staying. If he does, then Little moves to the third centre spot. I really don't think that Little has regressed that much.
Don't forget the importance of depth... if Scheifele or Statsny get hurt, a veteran centre who is solid at faceoffs is crucial.
Plus, Little is very good at the shoot-out.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
But how would we expose Little to Seattle because he has an NMC?

Ps. Couldn’t you avoid exposing any good players by giving them all NMCs poor to the draft?

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Interesting thoughts. I don't really want to see Wheeler back at C. He got favorable matchups this past season and still got burried.

I also disagree with the notion that Little can't play with Laine and Ehlers and have success. Maybe he can't play with both at once but he had tremenous success with Perrault and Ehlers on his wings last year. I think all he needs is someone to help him dig out the puck.

I also echo Ducky10's thoughts in that I want to trial Roslovic at C.

What I would like to see:

Conner Scheifele Laine

Ehlers Little Wheeler

Perrault/Petan Roslovic Armia

Wheeler plays the firechecking Perrault role on line two.

Petan and Roslovic have great chemistry from their time together on the Moose.

Imo one of Perrault/Myers is dealt this summer for cap purposes.
These are the lines I'd most like to see assuming we can't retain Stastny. You could change around Connor and Ehlers and I don't think there would be any difference.
I like Stastny but a big $$$ long term contract would hamper us down the road.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Ps. Couldn’t you avoid exposing any good players by giving them all NMCs poor to the draft?

You can't because they are only eligible for UFA years. So any good early to mid 20 player can't have a no move clause. That would be pretty disastrous for us if all of our aging players had them. It means we would have to expose our good young players.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
For me ideally he is a 3C or a RW while we have a stronger center to play with Laine and Ehlers/Connor. An overpaid 3C but depth like that will cost you.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

All NMC count against the number of players you can protect. No player can have a NMC until they would be UFA eligible, so depending when the expansion draft is you are potentially risking for the Jets players like, Scheifele, Trouba, Morrissey, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Roslovic, Lowry depending how many NMC you hand out to veteran players.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Or there is this:
1) Scheifele centering Little and Connor--would be effective in both ends of the ice and could score 100 goals as a line
2)Wheeler centering Laine and Ehlers--Wheeler might be a more effective mentor and set-up man for the boys
3)Roslo centering Armia and Perreault-Nice sheltered C role for Roslo and the line would be possession beasts
4) Lowry with Copp and Tanev

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
The problem isn't so much Little but that Ehlers and Laine playing together need a damn good two way center to make up for their... unrefined ...defensive play. But also one that doesn't hold them back offensively.

Little and Lowry are a dream combo in bottom six. Problem is neither are quite the right fit for the two young guns.

I've seen suggestions of sticking Scheifele between them and putting Wheeler lower in the lineup. Might not be a bad idea...

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Top 9 in the nhl all play same role or should imo. Little is a elite 3C, but isn’t suited to play 2C between Laine/Ehlers. Good player still but the team needs to use him to our advantage and help the team the most. As 2C between our young guns we aren’t getting the most out of that line with Little as the C. Move him to 3C and let him dominate there.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Or there is this:
1) Scheifele centering Little and Connor--would be effective in both ends of the ice and could score 100 goals as a line
2)Wheeler centering Laine and Ehlers--Wheeler might be a more effective mentor and set-up man for the boys
3)Roslo centering Armia and Perreault-Nice sheltered C role for Roslo and the line would be possession beasts
4) Lowry with Copp and Tanev
Don't follow the logic of Wheeler at center over Little. Both are still in your top 6 but Wheeler is a much better winger than center and Little is a better center than winger. Little is far better than Wheeler in defensive zone coverage so you want Wheeler instead as a natural winger to be the defensive conscious for Ehlers and Laine? I'd agree Little is better off playing with North - South players so play him with Connor and Wheeler on the wings and have Scheifele adapt to 2 creative East-West wingers. At least then you have a chance at per-longed success.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
Little's contract could be a real problem going forward. Its massively expensive and his production as well his speed simply falling off a cliff is a major concern.

I would love to get that 6 million off the books. Moving Wheeler to the number 2 center would be ideal if Roso struggles there. We have talented wingers up the ying yang with more on the Moose then we know what to do with.

Making Seattle take him will prob be the best move possible. If we go this route Myers and Frenchie have to leave so we can actually sign someone, along with Mason and his 500,000.00 per game contract.

Myers would be the biggest loss, he is a very good 2nd pairing dman but might prove too expensive given his current contract.

We need cap room and Frenchie Myers Mason and Little should all be under the gun if I were Chevy.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
Don't follow the logic of Wheeler at center over Little. Both are still in your top 6 but Wheeler is a much better winger than center and Little is a better center than winger. Little is far better than Wheeler in defensive zone coverage so you want Wheeler instead as a natural winger to be the defensive conscious for Ehlers and Laine? I'd agree Little is better off playing with North - South players so play him with Connor and Wheeler on the wings and have Scheifele adapt to 2 creative East-West wingers. At least then you have a chance at per-longed success.

Wheeler made ONE HELL of a centerman when Shief was hurt. He is one of the best wingers in the league ill give you that, but he is also one of the best number 2 centers in the game. Honestly if I have a player that could play that well at that position I put him there, we have loads and loads of winger talent. We are awful thin at center. Remember Little had his most productive season as a winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad