Brian Leetch vs. Ray Bourque: Who do you want for a run at the cup?

Blueblood2

Nov 14, 2011
Bourque had the better career and I used to love him but he lost me when he basically left Boston when he saw that Boston was not going to win the Cup and he went to a team that would probably still have won without him. Maybe it's not fair but I hate guys who do that by their own choice.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Bourque had the better career and I used to love him but he lost me when he basically left Boston when he saw that Boston was not going to win the Cup and he went to a team that would probably still have won without him. Maybe it's not fair but I hate guys who do that by their own choice.

I remember that it was a favor trade when the Bruins went into full rebuild. They also got a good return for him.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Even the current Richter vs Lundqvist debate.

“Yo Lundqvist is good n **** but Richter haz da cup, so...”

If you compare a player's best season vs. a stretch of their career or their entire careers you may get different answers. Even Lundqvist vs. Richter. If you could give me a perpetually 1994 Richter, sure I'd take him over Lundqvist. However, over their entire primes or careers? No way.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
If you compare a player's best season vs. a stretch of their career or their entire careers you may get different answers. Even Lundqvist vs. Richter. If you could give me a perpetually 1994 Richter, sure I'd take him over Lundqvist. However, over their entire primes or careers? No way.

If Richter had been the goalie from 2005 until now, we’d be a dynasty because of 8 years at least of lottery picks.

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
I remember Denis Leary being on the Letterman Show and Dave asked him if he was happy that Bourque got traded so he could win the Cup and Leary said (paraphrasing), "No! I want the Bruins to bring in a players so Bourque could win the Cup in Boston." I liked that answer.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Ask Colorado how he helped for their cup run........They have a cup because and only because they added Bourque. They will tell you he drove that team and willed it to that cup. They retired his number after 1 1/2 seasons. To a man they say he addition put them over the top.........

If the person who posted this took this question to the main board, he would not like what the verdict would be. I bet it would be 90%.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Are we talking, which player do I want specifically for a single hypothetical playoff run or are we talking about who would I want to build around in a real-life version of Franchise Mode?

If we're talking the former, Leetch's prime as a playoff performer from 92-95 is pretty hard to beat for a defenseman.

If we're talking about building an entire team, for multiple seasons, Bourque would be my pick.

I love Leetch, but his decline came so fast. He was essentially done as an elite defenseman at the age of 29. Within a few years, he seemed to get very old, very quick. He seemed to inch past that 1,000 point mark, where there was a time when it seemed like a forgone conclusion.

Reactions: Crease

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Ask Colorado how he helped for their cup run........They have a cup because and only because they added Bourque. They will tell you he drove that team and willed it to that cup. They retired his number after 1 1/2 seasons. To a man they say he addition put them over the top.........

If the person who posted this took this question to the main board, he would not like what the verdict would be. I bet it would be 90%.

On the other hand, Bourque couldn't will Boston to a Cup, while Leetch was the first non-Canadian to win a Conn Smyth Trophy (and the last defenseman to score 100 points if I remember correctly). Without Leetch, it's a real toss-up whether fans from other teams would still be chanting 1940 all the time.

For one run, I take Leetch. Bourque was great throughout his career, but Leetch was at least a good in his prime.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
On the other hand, Bourque couldn't will Boston to a Cup, while Leetch was the first non-Canadian to win a Conn Smyth Trophy (and the last defenseman to score 100 points if I remember correctly). Without Leetch, it's a real toss-up whether fans from other teams would still be chanting 1940 all the time.

For one run, I take Leetch. Bourque was great throughout his career, but Leetch was at least a good in his prime.

Messier would have won it with Bourque, but Leetch wouldn’t have won it without Messier.

I mean Messier won it without Bourque, Gretzky, or Leetch for his 5th cup in 1990.

I’m not knocking Leetch at all, but I’m fairly certain Bourque would have done pretty well too on the pre-Vancouver Messier era roster.

A lot of those Boston Bruins teams were pretty weak particularly after the dirty hit on Neely.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Messier would have won it with Bourque, but Leetch wouldn’t have won it without Messier.

I mean Messier won it without Bourque, Gretzky, or Leetch for his 5th cup in 1990.

I’m not knocking Leetch at all, but I’m fairly certain Bourque would have done pretty well too on the pre-Vancouver Messier era roster.

A lot of those Boston Bruins teams were pretty weak particularly after the dirty hit on Neely.

Bourgue didn't win in Colorado without several hall of famers either--and picking up Rob Blake (who outscored Bourgue in the playoffs) really helped.

I stand by my original post--without Leetch's performance in the playoffs, it's a toss up at best. I don't think I could have listened to 1940, 1940, 1940 for too much longer.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Of course

Bourgue didn't win in Colorado without several hall of famers either--and picking up Rob Blake (who outscored Bourgue in the playoffs) really helped.

I stand by my original post--without Leetch's performance in the playoffs, it's a toss up at best. I don't think I could have listened to 1940, 1940, 1940 for too much longer.

And I’m eternally thankful Leetch was amazing that post season.

Reactions: Brooklyn Ranger

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

Messier wouldn't have won it without Kovalev or Leetch. Kovalev was the reason "the guarantee" game ended up with a "W"

That Leetch playoff run might be the best of any defenseman in NHL history. Ever. Don't kid yourself, the Rangers 1940 chant would still be around if not for Leetch.

Let's not act like the '89-90 Oilers were a bunch of schlubs either - Lowe, Kurri, Anderson, Tikkanen, Graves, Simpson, Murphy, and old favorite Ruotsalainen, etc... and they were (mostly) all still in their late 20's.

Reactions: Brooklyn Ranger

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Messier wouldn't have won it without Kovalev or Leetch. Kovalev was the reason "the guarantee" game ended up with a "W"

That Leetch playoff run might be the best of any defenseman in NHL history. Ever. Don't kid yourself, the Rangers 1940 chant would still be around if not for Leetch.

Let's not act like the '89-90 Oilers were a bunch of schlubs either - Lowe, Kurri, Anderson, Tikkanen, Graves, Simpson, Murphy, and old favorite Ruotsalainen, etc... and they were (mostly) all still in their late 20's.
[

Pls...

Blueblood2

Nov 14, 2011

To say that he willed them to the Cup is ridiculous and I don't remember all the players saying he was the only reason they won the Cup. Of course the other players are going to say nice things about a future Hall of Fame player! What do you think they are going to say....cmon.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
That whole thing was overblown. Messier never used the word "guarantee."

He said that "we're going to go in and win game 6" was the attitude at the morning skate.

That was the focus this morning and it's the way we feel right now.

Finals flashback: Mess guarantees Game 6 win

Obviously, it doesn't take anything away from the game he had and he was certainly confident, but the News and Post guaranteed that victory as much as Messier did.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
If you watched it 100 times you'd probably know that Kovalev assisted on 2 of 3 Messier goals as well.

Maybe you need corrective lenses?

Ok.

Let's say you were at a meet and greet with the entire 1994 roster.

You say Kovalev was the driving force in that game.

How many minutes would be it be until they stopped laughing?

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
That whole thing was overblown. Messier never used the word "guarantee."

He said that "we're going to go in and win game 6" was the attitude at the morning skate.

Finals flashback: Mess guarantees Game 6 win

Obviously, it doesn't take anything away from the game he had and he was certainly confident, but the News and Post guaranteed that victory as much as Messier did.

So he didn't flake after they said it and everyone watching thought he said it word for word?

Do you think the Rangers past legends suck now too?

What the f*** do you like about the Rangers at all?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
So he didn't flake after they said it and everyone watching thought he said it word for word?

Do you think the Rangers past legends suck now too?

What the **** do you like about the Rangers at all?

My favorite thing about the Rangers is reading your comedy all day.

I don't think Messier sucks. He's one of the best centers we ever had. But I do think he's a pretty scummy person and the whole leadership thing is overrated.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
My favorite thing about the Rangers is reading your comedy all day.

I don't think Messier sucks. He's one of the best centers we ever had. But I do think he's a pretty scummy person and the whole leadership thing is overrated.

So just being passive-agressive and baiting while not knowing what you are talking about

That's a clear 10-4 there buddy.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
So just being passive-agressive and baiting while not knowing what you are talking about

That's a clear 10-4 there buddy.

As far as not knowing what I'm talking about, it's well documented that he's a megalomaniac. I'm not speculating here.

Even so, the guarantee thing wasn't his fault. And Kovalev had a great game and we don't win without him having a great game, same as Messier.

You're on the defensive for no reason at all.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->