Brian Leetch vs. Ray Bourque: Who do you want for a run at the cup?

Kaapo Kakko

Dec 23, 2017
Bourque on paper had the better career, but when both defensemen were in their prime, who would you rather have for a run at the cup? Maybe this is Ranger bias, but for one year I would take Leetch. He proved he could dominate in the playoffs the way no other defenseman ever has before, aside from Bobby Orr. Bourque had the longevity, but had to piggyback a cup by begging for a trade at the end of his career. Leetch carried the Rangers to the cup, along with Messier and Richter (and other key players) in 1994.

I would take Leetch for a cup run, but perhaps I'm being biased. What do you think?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Bourque.

Then trade him at the deadline for a young player and couple 1st rounders.

Reactions: kovazub94

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Many posters here would do that with prime Bourque.

I sincerely doubt this.

See Ray Bourque had almost 1600 points in his career including over 400 goals.

Now I don't know what his expected points / 60 were, but he actually scored alot.

Also, I don't remember a lot of people calling for trading Leetch [basically no one; and I never met a single person saying it] in his prime even though those mouth breathers all wanted #tuffnez

Reactions: LiasAndersson

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
If you're taking Brian Leetch in 1994, then he'd be pretty hard to pass up. Probably one of the greatest performances by defenseman in the playoffs in NHL history. Bourque never had a playoff campaign like Leetch did that year.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Leetch is the 2nd best Rangers defenseman I ever saw. Bourque is the 2nd best Bruin's defenseman I ever saw.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
If you're taking Brian Leetch in 1994, then he'd be pretty hard to pass up. Probably one of the greatest performances by defenseman in the playoffs in NHL history. Bourque never had a playoff campaign like Leetch did that year.

Bourque had two playoff runs as good as Leetch.

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
We could have both in their prime and AV would still manage to "lose" them on the bench.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
You can argue their peaks were similar but prime and career goes to Bourque by a long shot. This is sort of like the old Richter vs. Brodeur debate.

Last edited:
Reactions: JP Nolan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad