Brian Lee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
"Sources say the Americans are extremely high on 1987-born defenceman Brian Lee of Moorhead High School in Minnesota. Lee is eligible for this year's NHL entry draft. If indeed Lee is named to the team tomorrow, it may be at the expense of higher profile prospects such as Michigan State's A.J. Thelen, Kitchener Ranger Matt Lashoff and Jack Johnson of the U.S. national under-18 program."

That from an TSN article on the American WJC team.

My question is: who? :dunno:

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
He's supposedly a very good player that some have said is a first round talent for this year's draft. Like most US high school players he's not on a lot of people's radar yet. USA Hockey including him over the players mentioned would really turn a lot of heads, as the article indicates.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Lee is a good player but this would be too steep of a jump for him at this stage. It won't help his cause that he is coming off a bit of a knee injury this past fall. Even though he has probably fully recovered, I think this would be a bad pick.

Alex Goligoski should easily make it before Brian Lee. Goligoski was the best defenseman in Minnesota last year and that includes Brian Lee. Goligoski has also been playing strong hockey on a much higher level than Lee is at.

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
PuckFan01 said:
Lee is a good player but this would be too steep of a jump for him at this stage. It won't help his cause that he is coming off a bit of a knee injury this past fall. Even though he has probably fully recovered, I think this would be a bad pick.

Alex Goligoski should easily make it before Brian Lee. Goligoski was the best defenseman in Minnesota last year and that includes Brian Lee. Goligoski has also been playing strong hockey on a much higher level than Lee is at.
Alex is a good pick as well as Johnson. Bet USA takes an older team at the expense of their future-Johnson, big mistake down the road!

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Hab Fan said:
Alex is a good pick as well as Johnson. Bet USA takes an older team at the expense of their future-Johnson, big mistake down the road!

Yeah, I mean the only thing the U.S. brass is trying to do is win............ Don't get me wrong, I'm as big a booster of Johnson as anyone, but if his exclusion for a player that fits better into the overall team vision is in order, I'm all for it.

Reilly311

when I first read that report, I thought they ment Brian Lee of the Erie Otters. I practically spit out my mountain dew all over my computer. I want to see Johnson play, but I know that they'll make a good decision.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Never heard of that Lee.

Common name I guess.

Brian Lee-2002 3rd rd Anaheim unsigned overager with Erie in the OHL.

edit: Hadn't seen Reilly's post.

Ego

Mar 15, 2002
Slovakia
Visit site
In August he played at U18 Junior Cup and he was fantastic. Maybe the best defense in whole tournament, but I only seen him in two games.

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
Ego said:
In August he played at U18 Junior Cup and he was fantastic. Maybe the best defense in whole tournament, but I only seen him in two games.
I'm sure you mean Johnson. He WAS the best dman in camp according to most agents, scouts and a couple GM's. Certainly top 2-3 pick in draft. Just saw ISS had him ranked #2.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Hab Fan said:
I'm sure you mean Johnson. He WAS the best dman in camp according to most agents, scouts and a couple GM's. Certainly top 2-3 pick in draft. Just saw ISS had him ranked #2.

Lee was named the top defencemen at U-17 Five Nations Cup in Slovakia, and also put on a good performance at the U-18's in August, so he has international experience. McKeen's loves him and calls him cooler than Clint Eastwood in a Sergio Leone move. If you've seen the Good, the Bad and the Ugly, you know that is pretty cool.

I'm disappointed to see Johnson not make it too - and surprised - but Lee is also regarded as a blue-chip do-it-all defencemen, albeit not as physical as Johnson. He certainly jumped up on the radar with this selection. Interesting to say the least.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Dr.Sens(e) said:
Lee was named the top defencemen at U-17 Five Nations Cup in Slovakia, and also put on a good performance at the U-18's in August, so he has international experience. McKeen's loves him and calls him cooler than Clint Eastwood in a Sergio Leone move. If you've seen the Good, the Bad and the Ugly, you know that is pretty cool.

I'm disappointed to see Johnson not make it too - and surprised - but Lee is also regarded as a blue-chip do-it-all defencemen, albeit not as physical as Johnson. He certainly jumped up on the radar with this selection. Interesting to say the least.

It doesn't hurt that Lee is in coach Scott Sandelin's backyard. He's also a bit bigger than Johnson. As you say, interesting.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Hab Fan said:
Johnson is 6"1 207. Not small and tougher than anyone else on the roster!

The bottom line is unless someone spills the beans we're not going to know why Lee was chosen over Johnson. If Lee sucks rocks at the WJC's his inclusion can be ripped to shreds. Until then, I hope for the best.

bruins4777*

it would be awsome if we could get better scouting on these guys...

Ego

Mar 15, 2002
Slovakia
Visit site
Hab Fan said:
Johnson did not play in Slovakia. Lee was really great. Big, mobile, great preformance at both ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad