Brian Burke ON CKNW at 10:10 PT 1:10 AM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
me2 said:
Who needs the other more: players or owners?

Thinks its fairly even.

Thinks both sides are doing their best to lose.

The reality is the players need the owner more for the simple reason you have to be a multi-millionaire to buy a hockey team so you have other incomes but players don't. The other area's to play hockey offer much less compensation, so this would be a case of shooting the goose that lays the golden egg.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
NJD Jester said:
First of all, it's not a strike.

Second of all, NHL calibre players are anyone the NHL wants to put on its rosters. It'll still be hockey...just not with the elite players that'll be on the sidelines.

In order to use replacement workers the PA must vote on the NHL's last offer and reject it. Once it is rejected and the league declares impasse the players have 2 choices, go back to work or vote to strike. So DR is correct it would be a strike. And if the players are on strike then no immigration will not allow players into the US to play for the NHL. So I hope there are enough Americans to fill 26 rosters. Oh and the same rules apply in Canada.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
WHARF1940 said:
wow, I've been questioning myself recently, what with all the time I have devoted to this crap since September, but now i see that we ALL have a problem. Three pages so far in the middle of the night about Brian Burke's points that HE HAS BEEN MAKING FOR THREE MONTHS!!! We need a new hobby.

agreed ... I'm gonna find a woman this weekend and get laid ... better than spending 50 on hockey :naughty:

NJD Jester

Nov 14, 2003
DC
www.njdevilsbook.com
DR said:
we call it the AHL, or ECHL. how much are you going to pay to watch ECHL and AHL level players in NHL uniforms ?
dr

Certainly not NHL prices, and the NHL knows it. But for the right price, I'd pay to see a bunch of players wearing my team's uniforms, even if they are scabs. Hell, maybe we'll actually see some hitting in the NHL for the first time in a decade.

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
DR said:
true again ... we call it the AHL, or ECHL. how much are you going to pay to watch ECHL and AHL level players in NHL uniforms ?

dr

For a couple of years, yes, it would be like the AHL. I am more than willing to watch a group of AHL young men play for that amount of time, until things get back to a higher standard of hockey.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Lady Rhian said:
For a couple of years, yes, it would be like the AHL. I am more than willing to watch a group of AHL young men play for that amount of time, until things get back to a higher standard of hockey.
Sure about that? They're unionized too. The PHPA certainly isn't going to recommend to their members to cross a picket line. And they can't be forced by managers to do so either.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Lady Rhian said:

There are not enough American kids in the AHL to fill 26 rosters. You would be seeing a lot of guys a step above beer league in the US. The Canadian teams would be loaded though. Is that competative balance?

Wetcoaster

NJD Jester said:
Here's the problem with Burke's arguments:

The owners, in reality, don't have to do dick.

They can sit back, cancel the season, declare an impasse and then remake the league in whatever manner they wish with replacement players.

The players? They can skate around Latvia earning peanuts and sleeping in roach motels.
No they cannot.

An employer cannot simply use replacement players (or replacement workers for that matter). If you could no company would ever negotiate, they would simply restart each time and avoid negotiating with the union. the goal of labour law is collective bargaining to reach an agreement.

Also bear in mind the NHL is trans-border operation. In the US the applicable labour law is federal and under the auspices of the NLRB. In Canada the jurisdiction is provincial and subject to the labour codes of the home provinces of the Canadian NHL teams (BC, Alberta, Ontario and Quebec) and the respective provincial labour relations boards.

In the US to get to replacement workers, you must make sure there is in fact a bargaining impasse before you declare it, because if you are wrong, the financial liabilities can be horrendous. A declaration is only possible after complete deadlock and after making your final best offer to the union. The offer must be comprehensive (in other words a replacement CBA), if rejected by the union then you must implement that offer as the temporary CBA. Only then you are entitled to re-open and try to get replacements to run your business.

The Existence Of An Impasse

Before an employer actually implements its pre-impasse proposals, it must be sure that an impasse does indeed exist. An impasse is defined in the law as the point at which further discussions would be futile. Designating a situation as futile is by no means an empty philosophical exercise; it is a fact-laden legal determination that has spawned countless NLRB and court decisions. Here are some of the factors that are likely to be an important part of the debate:

● bargaining history of the parties;

● good faith of the parties, which may include: the presence of delaying tactics, unreasonable bargaining demands, efforts to bypass the union, failure to designate an agent, arbitrary scheduling of meetings and whether the employer has withdrawn already agreed-upon provisions;

● length of negotiations, although no set number of meetings are required;

● importance of issues on which the parties are deadlocked;

● belief of the parties as to whether impasse exists;

● rejection of a final offer by the rank-and-file union membership;

● union’s rejection of proposals without presentation of counterproposal or requesting more time to negotiate;

● union’s refusal to recommend a final offer to the rank-and-file for ratification;

● union’s withdrawal from negotiations without attempting to schedule more meetings; and

● whether reasonable time existed for the union to review information supplied to it by the employer and analyze its impact on counteroffers.

Employers who wish to keep open the “impasse and implementation†strategy must establish a track record of choosing their words carefully. If a party indicates that its position on one issue is flexible and can be traded off for other concessions, there may be no impasse. Moreover, if the last meeting resulted in settlement of some issues or significant movement by either party, it is unlikely that an impasse can be proved.

The Impact Of A Bargaining Impasse

Once a genuine impasse has been reached, the duty to bargain becomes dormant, but is not terminated. The employer need not meet with the union after impasse is reached if the union continues to offer the same proposals which led to the impasse. While negotiations are deadlocked at impasse, unilateral changes are lawful provided the collective bargaining agreement at issue has expired and the unilateral changes are reasonably encompassed by the employer’s pre-impasse proposals. Note that the NLRB has carved out an exception to the “implementation after impasse†strategy for discretionary wage proposals. See e.g. McClatchy Newspapers, 321 NLRB 1386 (1996), enfd. in relevant part 131 F.3d 1026 (D.C. Cir. 1997), cert. denied mem. 524 U.S. 937 (1998)).

Impasse, however, is only a temporary deadlock, and exists until a change in circumstances indicates that an agreement may be possible. Impasse may be broken through either a change in mind or the application of economic force (i.e., a strike). Implementation after impasse is viewed by the NLRB as a method of breaking impasse, and the parties remain obligated to attempt to negotiate an agreement in good faith. The implementation after impasse strategy is not intended to be used to act unilaterally and destroy the collective bargaining process.
http://www.lawmemo.com/emp/articles/hardball.htm

BASIC PRINCIPLE - a bargaining impasse and use of replacements is a TEMPORARY measure and the labour dispute continues. That has some very interesting immigration law implications in the US and Canada noted below.

The union has several options if the employer declares an impasse. The union can then strike and/or seek a ruling from the NLRB that the employer committed an unfair labour practise (e.g there was in fact no bargaining impasse). The NLRB upholds very few impasse declarations.

In 1994 MLB declared an impasse, imposed a CBA and opened with "Scab Ball" after lengthy face to face negotiations, significant movement by the MLB owners on a number of issues, use of a federal mediator and even an attempt by President Clinton to mediate. MLB lost at the NLRB and were ordered to play for two more years under the previous CBA.

An impasse declaration is not easy to get confirmed by the NLRB and if the owners lose they are on the hook for the salaries owing to the players during the time they operated under the voided declaration of impasse.

BTW in the 1994 labour dispute replacement players could not be used by the Toronto Blue Jays or Montreal Expos as Canadian provincial labour laws prohibited the use of replacement workers absolutely. Subsequently the law was changed in Ontario by the Harris government but it has been proposed by the current government to re-impose the ban on replacement workers.

In Canada there is no procedure for an impasse declaration. Currently both BC (Vancouver Canucks) and Quebec (Montreal Canadians) prohibit the use of replacement workers under their labour codes. In Quebec the Habs players have not formally certified themselves as labour union local so technically replacement players might be possible but a quick 5 minute vote as occurred with the Expos in 1994 would bring the replacement worker ban completely into effect. As noted the ban on replacement workers may be re-imposed in Ontario and that would cover the Leafs and Senators. That would leave Calgary and Edmonton but as noted there is no procedure for impasse declaration and there is no guarantee the Alberta Labour Board would allow replacement players.

Another option the NHLPA has is decertification. In the last disputes with the NBA and MLB, the player associations threatened decertification and the owners backed down. Decertification is often referred to a s nuclear deterrent because the players lose the protection of the union and is likely a last resort tactic but a very effective one if used properly.

The reason the owners fear decertification is that decertification would result in the loss of protection from anti-trust law in the US and competition law in Canada. Pro sports can operate in breach of anti-trust law only so long as they have a CBA to protect them and decertification ends that. In 1950 the US Supreme Court ruled that anti-trust law applied to pro sports (except baseball which had an exemption) in the case of Radovich v. NFL. If the owners breach anti-trust law which would include such things as an Entry Draft, reserve clause for players (i.e. players become free agents at the end of each contract without such a clause) or any other non-competitive practise then the NHL would be liable for "treble (triple) damages" under US laws and the US courts are very quick to rule against breaches of anti-trust law.

In Canada we have similar law under the Competition Act, An Act to provide for the general regulation of trade and commerce in respect of conspiracies, trade practices and mergers affecting competition. Fines to be imposed in Canada have no upper limit and are at the discretion of the court. Canadian law has specific provisions that apply to professional sports IF there is no CBA:

Conspiracy relating to professional sport
48. (1) Every one who conspires, combines, agrees or arranges with another person

(a) to limit unreasonably the opportunities for any other person to participate, as a player or competitor, in professional sport or to impose unreasonable terms or conditions on those persons who so participate, or

(b) to limit unreasonably the opportunity for any other person to negotiate with and, if agreement is reached, to play for the team or club of his choice in a professional league

is guilty of an indictable offence and liable on conviction to a fine in the discretion of the court or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years or to both.

In 1987 the NFL "broke" the union with replacement players but the players ultimately prevailed by decertifying and won free agency as one of the concessions. It also generated a couple of hundred anti-trust actions which but for one the owners finally settled in return for granting free agency to the players along with other concessions.

For a detailed review of the decertification process in that dispute see this material from the one leading sports and entertainment labour law experts, Paul Weiler (a Canadian by birth whose brother, Joe teaches labour and sports law at the University of BC law school and who was Chairman of the BC labour Relations Board in the past)who is a professor at Harvard law school. For everything you ever wanted to know about sports labour law, anti-trust law, etc but were afraid to ask see Professor Weiler's 380 page book, "Levelling the Playing Field" online at:
http://www.hup.harvard.edu/educators/pdf/weilex.pdf

For the actual NFL decertification information see pages 108-110.

For a recap of the 1994 hockey lockout see pages 111-112.

For anti-trust law and how it interrelates to pro sports see pages 150-169.

So if the NHL declares an impasse they better pray they get it right because the consequences of being wrong are horrendous. This is probably why Bettman has continually denied the NHL plans to use replacement players. He is after all a labour lawyer himself and he would know the potential consequences of a botched declaration of impasse.

As noted above there is another wrinkle that faces the NHL - immigration law. Because it operates in two countries and many of its players are neither Canadian nor American, immigration laws in Canada and the US will determine who can play as a replacement player.

Bear in mind as noted previously an impasse declaration and use of replacement is considered only a temporary measure and therefore the labour dispute continues. Under Canadian immigration law for a foreign player to play in Canada (Europeans and Americans) they must have a work permit issued from Canada Immigration unless they have been admitted an immigrant previously. Under US immigration law for a foreign player to play in US (Europeans and Canadians) they must have a work permit issued from Canada Immigration unless they have been admitted an alien resident previously.

Under the immigration laws of both countries, a work permit cannot be issued to a foreign national where there is a labour dispute in progress. So only Canadian citizens and permanent residents can play for Canadian based teams and only US citizens and alien residents can play for US based teams - no European players at all.

Not quite a simple as some would have you believe, eh wot?

Ain't labour, sports and anti-trust law fun???? It certainly keeps a battery of lawyers employed by the NHL and NHLPA.

NJD Jester

Nov 14, 2003
DC
www.njdevilsbook.com
Appreciate the efforts on the sports labor (and labour) law. A little long, but then again, what labor regulations aren't?

What all of this doesn't do, however, is take the ball out of the owners' court. The players will still return to the NHL on their terms.

Wetcoaster

NJD Jester said:
First of all, it's not a strike.

Second of all, NHL calibre players are anyone the NHL wants to put on its rosters. It'll still be hockey...just not with the elite players that'll be on the sidelines.
Not true. The NHL will be limited by immigration laws.

It is however a labour dispute and it continues even if there are replacement players because that is only a temporary solution and the dispute continues.

If there is a labour dispute in progress, both US and Canadian immigration laws prohibit foreign nationals being issued work permits. So Canadians on Canadian based teams (assuming they can actually covince the labour boards to let them use replacement players at all BTW they are absolutely prohibited in BC) and US players only on US based teams while the impasse decalration is argued before the NLRB and the courts. No Europeans allowed.

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
NJD Jester said:
Here's the problem with Burke's arguments:

The owners, in reality, don't have to do dick.

They can sit back, cancel the season, declare an impasse and then remake the league in whatever manner they wish with replacement players.

The players? They can skate around Latvia earning peanuts and sleeping in roach motels.

How many times does it have to explained that, practically speaking, the impasse route is impossible, and not one that will be taken. The owners, were they to declare impasse, would a) be running the risk that the NLRB rules that an impasse didn't exist, exposing them to punitive damages, b) have serious immigration problems; I don't see how they could fill the US teams and c) risk having the players decertify the union, which will cost most of the owners more in the long run.

Impasse doesn't work.

Wetcoaster

mudcrutch79 said:
How many times does it have to explained that, practically speaking, the impasse route is impossible, and not one that will be taken. The owners, were they to declare impasse, would a) be running the risk that the NLRB rules that an impasse didn't exist, exposing them to punitive damages, b) have serious immigration problems; I don't see how they could fill the US teams and c) risk having the players decertify the union, which will cost most of the owners more in the long run.

Impasse doesn't work.
I agree impasse is too fraught with potential pitfalls and the financial liability for the owners if they are wrong would be horrendous.

I believe there are no punitive damages available. They would however be subject to contract damages (the owners would have to pay them under existing contracts for the time that the voided declaration existed plus there is the possibility of anti-trust suits which could result in treble damage awards in the US upon decertifcation.

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
Wetcoaster said:
I believe there are no punitive damages available. They would however be subject to contract damages (the owners would have to pay them under existing contracts for the time that the voided declaration existed plus there is the possibility of anti-trust suits which could result in treble damage awards in the US upon decertifcation.

Yeah, I think you're right. I was using it in a colloquial kind of way, the legal meaning slipped my mind.

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Europe going to be locking their rosters soon, hence, making the date close, if they wish to get their players back that are over there?

Wetcoaster

Lady Rhian said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Europe going to be locking their rosters soon, hence, making the date close, if they wish to get their players back that are over there?

As I understand the January 31 date, it only freezes rosters - no trades, no new signings but players who have out clauses can go back if the NHL resumes this season.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
You can't sign new players in FEL after january 31th, players can leave but no new players can be added. This includes ALL players, no exceptions are made.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
NJD Jester said:

And no one will watch. The owners are better off potentially canceling another season than even going to replacement players.

Last edited:

Da Game

Jan 27, 2005
On an Island
Wetcoaster said:
No they cannot.

An employer cannot simply use replacement players (or replacement workers for that matter). If you could no company would ever negotiate, they would simply restart each time and avoid negotiating with the union. the goal of labour law is collective bargaining to reach an agreement.

Also bear in mind the NHL is trans-border operation. In the US the applicable labour law is federal and under the auspices of the NLRB. In Canada the jurisdiction is provincial and subject to the labour codes of the home provinces of the Canadian NHL teams (BC, Alberta, Ontario and Quebec) and the respective provincial labour relations boards.

In the US to get to replacement workers, you must make sure there is in fact a bargaining impasse before you declare it, because if you are wrong, the financial liabilities can be horrendous. A declaration is only possible after complete deadlock and after making your final best offer to the union. The offer must be comprehensive (in other words a replacement CBA), if rejected by the union then you must implement that offer as the temporary CBA. Only then you are entitled to re-open and try to get replacements to run your business.

http://www.lawmemo.com/emp/articles/hardball.htm

BASIC PRINCIPLE - a bargaining impasse and use of replacements is a TEMPORARY measure and the labour dispute continues. That has some very interesting immigration law implications in the US and Canada noted below.

The union has several options if the employer declares an impasse. The union can then strike and/or seek a ruling from the NLRB that the employer committed an unfair labour practise (e.g there was in fact no bargaining impasse). The NLRB upholds very few impasse declarations.

In 1994 MLB declared an impasse, imposed a CBA and opened with "Scab Ball" after lengthy face to face negotiations, significant movement by the MLB owners on a number of issues, use of a federal mediator and even an attempt by President Clinton to mediate. MLB lost at the NLRB and were ordered to play for two more years under the previous CBA.

An impasse declaration is not easy to get confirmed by the NLRB and if the owners lose they are on the hook for the salaries owing to the players during the time they operated under the voided declaration of impasse.

BTW in the 1994 labour dispute replacement players could not be used by the Toronto Blue Jays or Montreal Expos as Canadian provincial labour laws prohibited the use of replacement workers absolutely. Subsequently the law was changed in Ontario by the Harris government but it has been proposed by the current government to re-impose the ban on replacement workers.

In Canada there is no procedure for an impasse declaration. Currently both BC (Vancouver Canucks) and Quebec (Montreal Canadians) prohibit the use of replacement workers under their labour codes. In Quebec the Habs players have not formally certified themselves as labour union local so technically replacement players might be possible but a quick 5 minute vote as occurred with the Expos in 1994 would bring the replacement worker ban completely into effect. As noted the ban on replacement workers may be re-imposed in Ontario and that would cover the Leafs and Senators. That would leave Calgary and Edmonton but as noted there is no procedure for impasse declaration and there is no guarantee the Alberta Labour Board would allow replacement players.

Another option the NHLPA has is decertification. In the last disputes with the NBA and MLB, the player associations threatened decertification and the owners backed down. Decertification is often referred to a s nuclear deterrent because the players lose the protection of the union and is likely a last resort tactic but a very effective one if used properly.

The reason the owners fear decertification is that decertification would result in the loss of protection from anti-trust law in the US and competition law in Canada. Pro sports can operate in breach of anti-trust law only so long as they have a CBA to protect them and decertification ends that. In 1950 the US Supreme Court ruled that anti-trust law applied to pro sports (except baseball which had an exemption) in the case of Radovich v. NFL. If the owners breach anti-trust law which would include such things as an Entry Draft, reserve clause for players (i.e. players become free agents at the end of each contract without such a clause) or any other non-competitive practise then the NHL would be liable for "treble (triple) damages" under US laws and the US courts are very quick to rule against breaches of anti-trust law.

In Canada we have similar law under the Competition Act, An Act to provide for the general regulation of trade and commerce in respect of conspiracies, trade practices and mergers affecting competition. Fines to be imposed in Canada have no upper limit and are at the discretion of the court. Canadian law has specific provisions that apply to professional sports IF there is no CBA:

In 1987 the NFL "broke" the union with replacement players but the players ultimately prevailed by decertifying and won free agency as one of the concessions. It also generated a couple of hundred anti-trust actions which but for one the owners finally settled in return for granting free agency to the players along with other concessions.

For a detailed review of the decertification process in that dispute see this material from the one leading sports and entertainment labour law experts, Paul Weiler (a Canadian by birth whose brother, Joe teaches labour and sports law at the University of BC law school and who was Chairman of the BC labour Relations Board in the past)who is a professor at Harvard law school. For everything you ever wanted to know about sports labour law, anti-trust law, etc but were afraid to ask see Professor Weiler's 380 page book, "Levelling the Playing Field" online at:

For a recap of the 1994 hockey lockout see pages 111-112.

For anti-trust law and how it interrelates to pro sports see pages 150-169.

So if the NHL declares an impasse they better pray they get it right because the consequences of being wrong are horrendous. This is probably why Bettman has continually denied the NHL plans to use replacement players. He is after all a labour lawyer himself and he would know the potential consequences of a botched declaration of impasse.

As noted above there is another wrinkle that faces the NHL - immigration law. Because it operates in two countries and many of its players are neither Canadian nor American, immigration laws in Canada and the US will determine who can play as a replacement player.

Bear in mind as noted previously an impasse declaration and use of replacement is considered only a temporary measure and therefore the labour dispute continues. Under Canadian immigration law for a foreign player to play in Canada (Europeans and Americans) they must have a work permit issued from Canada Immigration unless they have been admitted an immigrant previously. Under US immigration law for a foreign player to play in US (Europeans and Canadians) they must have a work permit issued from Canada Immigration unless they have been admitted an alien resident previously.

Under the immigration laws of both countries, a work permit cannot be issued to a foreign national where there is a labour dispute in progress. So only Canadian citizens and permanent residents can play for Canadian based teams and only US citizens and alien residents can play for US based teams - no European players at all.

Not quite a simple as some would have you believe, eh wot?

Ain't labour, sports and anti-trust law fun???? It certainly keeps a battery of lawyers employed by the NHL and NHLPA.

I'm new here, but I've been reading the boards for awhile now. (I'm a lawyer as well)

Alsom, Before I start, let me just let it be known, I'm neither Pro-Owner or Pro-Player in this crap.

Anyway, about the Impasse. You people have to knock it off already. You should know your facts before posting. The NHL could have called a Impasse already if they wanted to a long time ago. So why haven't they? Cause they know that NLRB will not grant them an Impasse. The NHLPA knows this as well. And if the NHL were to go for it, they would lose. (I've taken the time to read their proposal, and comments in the media made by Bettman & Co.) IN the NLRB's history, they've almost always lean more towards the Union.

Now, if the players went on strike, then the NHL would have a strong case. But, that isn't the case. It's the Owners who locked out the players.

(Don't mean to come off harsh in my first post on here, but I just wanted to clear it up for everyone.)

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Wetcoaster said:
As I understand the January 31 date, it only freezes rosters - no trades, no new signings but players who have out clauses can go back if the NHL resumes this season.

Correct. So all the European teams could end up with 2/3 of a team at playoff time. So even we euros want to know if this is going somewhere.

Call the season or get started - stop dickin around. :mad:

SENSible1*

Wetcoaster,

I'm confused, the NFL used replacement players, got a hard cap and in return "lost" by giving free agency.

Do you think the NHL would have a problem with that outcome?

SENSible1*

Da Game said:
I'm new here, but I've been reading the boards for awhile now. (I'm a lawyer as well)

Alsom, Before I start, let me just let it be known, I'm neither Pro-Owner or Pro-Player in this crap.

Anyway, about the Impasse. You people have to knock it off already. You should know your facts before posting. The NHL could have called a Impasse already if they wanted to a long time ago. So why haven't they? Cause they know that NLRB will not grant them an Impasse. The NHLPA knows this as well. And if the NHL were to go for it, they would lose. (I've taken the time to read their proposal, and comments in the media made by Bettman & Co.) IN the NLRB's history, they've almost always lean more towards the Union.

Now, if the players went on strike, then the NHL would have a strong case. But, that isn't the case. It's the Owners who locked out the players.

(Don't mean to come off harsh in my first post on here, but I just wanted to clear it up for everyone.)
Thanks for offering up your OPINION.

I'm sure that IF the owners do decide to go that route, they'll have well-paid lawyers to argue the case and we'll see if your OPINION is valid.

Please don't expect us to take your OPINION as fact.

Da Game

Jan 27, 2005
On an Island
Thunderstruck said:
Wetcoaster,

I'm confused, the NFL used replacement players, got a hard cap and in return "lost" by giving free agency.

Do you think the NHL would have a problem with that outcome?

The NFLPA was fighting for the right to have free agency.

Totally different than what's going on with the NHL.

Da Game

Jan 27, 2005
On an Island
Thunderstruck said:
Thanks for offering up your OPINION.

I'm sure that IF the owners do decide to go that route, they'll have well-paid lawyers to argue the case and we'll see if your OPINION is valid.

Please don't expect us to take your OPINION as fact.

Like I've said, if the Owners were serious about calling for an Impasse, they've would have done it a long time ago. But the NHL & their "well-paid lawyers" know that if they were to do it, they'd lose, and by losing, they'd be in a world of do-do.

You might call this an OPINION, but being a lawyer, and knowing how the NLRB operates, the chances of the NHL winning is slim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad