Brian Burke on CKNW 980 Re: Lockout

Status
Not open for further replies.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
Brian Burke on Vancouver Radio CKNW 980(www.cknw.com) Audio Vault - Thursday, June 23rd, 11PM.

He stated that he believes a deal will be done, but that July 1st is too soon, and out of the picture. He feels a deal is more likely to be announced around July 15, or shortly after that.

He's hearing that recently negotiations have come to a crawl, and that he actual heard from a source that the PA and the NHL spent 2 hours discussing the topic of Player Parking at home games. Thats how slow the negotiations have gotten, and he said the players are disputing the fact that at some home arenas the players have to pay for parking.

By the way, I'm actually serious about the parking thing, I wish I was making it up.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
struckmatch said:
Brian Burke on Vancouver Radio CKNW 980(www.cknw.com) Audio Vault - Thursday, June 23rd, 11PM.

He stated that he believes a deal will be done, but that July 1st is too soon, and out of the picture. He feels a deal is more likely to be announced around July 15, or shortly after that.

He's hearing that recently negotiations have come to a crawl, and that he actual heard from a source that the PA and the NHL spent 2 hours discussing the topic of Player Parking at home games. Thats how slow the negotiations have gotten, and he said the players are disputing the fact that at some home arenas the players have to pay for parking.

By the way, I'm actually serious about the parking thing, I wish I was making it up.

Geezzzzz, what is next, paid dog food supplies too?
All joking aside, if they are talking about parking, then the CBA has been pretty much agreed to. An item like this isn't an issue, it is a perk, to which the players are starting to grasp at straws.
I say the agreement is done and an announcement/presser by next Wednesday/Thursday.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Uhh.....do you think he was being sarcastic? I mean is that something that is dictated by a CBA??

Spungo*

Now it's... "just 3 more weeks guys, just 3 more weeks." You guys are so friggin gullible.

chiavsfan

I would hate to be a millionaire and pay 14 dollars for parking at an away stadium. Here is an idea, car-pool to the game, and then you wont have to pay as much. The absolute idiocy of the NHL...MY GOODNESS!!!

Seriously, if they are indeed talking about this kind of garbage, then it's just the lawyers wasting time. And THAT is a joke

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Bob to the massives:

We lost on the cap
We lost on the linkage
We lost on the rollback

But

We won on parking
We won on ice cream allowance
We won the right to keep our broken sticks

That's 3 all guys, 3 all. And they said we were going to lose this CBA. No chance, not after I've got the $2/month toothpick allowance up.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Spungo said:
Now it's... "just 3 more weeks guys, just 3 more weeks." You guys are so friggin gullible.
its just another guess, like everyone else

its not being pushed back and pushed back, its different people (who have no connection to the negtiations) guessing.

if it was bettman, daly, saskin or someone who is acutally at the table that was keep changing the date, your argument may hold some weight, but until then, your august/september or 2044 predictions are just as unfounded as everything that you are calling us stupid for listening to.

BrickRed

Oct 23, 2003
Phoenix
Visit site
me2 said:
Bob to the massives:

We lost on the cap
We lost on the linkage
We lost on the rollback

But

We won on parking

That's 3 all guys, 3 all. And they said we were going to lose this CBA. No chance, not after I've got the $2/month toothpick allowance up.

:handclap:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
chiavsfan said:
Hey Me2...totally OT, but I just ordered myself a Cory Pecker Moose Jersey...I think he may have the greatest name in the AHL

Enjoy your Moose Pecker. :biglaugh:

Funny supposedly true story. Rugby union international between Ireland and France. Condon was playing for France and Willie John McBride for Ireland. Some Irish fan "Our Willie is too big for your Condon"

Last edited:

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
me2 said:
Bob to the massives:

We lost on the cap
We lost on the linkage
We lost on the rollback

But

We won on parking

To the massives? Do you mean "masses"?

I am Jack's Fish

Bruwinz37 said:
Uhh.....do you think he was being sarcastic? I mean is that something that is dictated by a CBA??

The CBA dictates EVERYTHING actually, that is why this stuff takes so long.

I have a copy of the old CBA in my desk, and you would be surprised at how much is in there, how precise it is on anything relating to money, and it also dictates things like free agency, rookie rules, etc etc.

For instance, there is a whole part on the per diem and when a player gets called up from the minors. like, If he is called up before 1:00, he gets full per-diem, but if he is called up after a certain point, he wont get the full per diem for the day, etc etc.

A player gets traded to another team, the CBA has rules that state that the trading team has to pay the players mortgage for six months (I think), and that the team getting the player is required to pay for an apartment for a certain amount of time, and then has to be responsible for paying for the moving vans.

There are a ton of things like this in the CBA, and I stated some time back when everyone thought a deal was getting done, I said it was far off. If the players capitulated on a cap, they will be fighting tooth and nail for concessions elsewhere, and it might be as simple as fighting over per diem or other rules.

But there are players who memorize the CBA and make it their "job" to ensure that the teams dont break the rules on even simple things, like how many off-seasson camps they have and stuff...(I was friendly with one Panther prospect who I started to call "Future NHLPA rep" because he constantly kept reminding the Panthers when they were trying to break the rules)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
littleD said:
Brian Burke...

...never one to turn down an oppurtunity to make NHL players look like idiots.

Why would parking make the players look like idiots? Some of the season ticket holders don't have to pay for parking, why would the players?

How many people here have to pay to park where they work?

If Brian Burke is being serious, this isn't getting done any time before the beginning of August. There are some people in the media who said this would get done on June 1. July 15 puts us a month and a half beyond that.

Spungo*

go kim johnsson said:
Why would parking make the players look like idiots? Some of the season ticket holders don't have to pay for parking, why would the players?

If Brian Burke is being serious, this isn't getting done any time before the beginning of August. There are some people in the media who said this would get done on June 1. July 15 puts us a month and a half beyond that.

When are people going to realize that this thing isn't getting done untill September or October at the earliest?

How many times can you slack jawed yokels fall for the "just 2 more weeks" bulljive? You all must be the same people who subscribe to the Eklund blog.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
whats up with the doom music before at the start of the last segment with brian burke?

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
go kim johnsson said:

I do ...... everytime I get sent to Main State (several times a month) I have to pay my own parking and/or Metro fares.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
me2 said:
Bob to the massives:

We lost on the cap
We lost on the linkage
We lost on the rollback

But

We won on parking

Unfortunatly for them, they lost on potty breaks. Oh well, you know what astronauts can do right in their suits :D

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
go kim johnsson said:

If I want to park in the parking garage in Central Station here in Montreal (which is owned by my company, CN), I would have to pay $250+ a month, or $13 a day.

:cry:

Oilers Ent

Aug 31, 2002
Burnaby, BC
robandgen.blogspot.com
struckmatch said:

It's nice to know that millionaires don't like paying for parking too. They are just like the rest of us!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->